M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: SF -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 1:00pm ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
SWE (Wranaa) (EE)
GER (Kapp) Final
USA (Farbelow) 10  (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-11-23 07:30PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Just a point \note here. You're only allowed to sweep opposing rocks behind the T. Kennedy just swept a McEwen rock that was above the T. I don't if it made a difference but he broke that rule

^ YES HE DID - it was very flagrant. He never apologized.
I think Kennedy has played the game long enough to know the rules by now - so that was just trying to cheat, plain and simple. Right out of the Homan book of 'sportsmanship'. It was absolute bush league from him.

People say that Kennedy is a good team player, etc. He may well be a good team player, but this is not the first time I've seen questionable/disrespectful behaviour from him.
There's no excuse for him sweeping an opposing rock very clearly above the T-line.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-11-23 09:48PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

^ YES HE DID - it was very flagrant. He never apologized.
I think Kennedy has played the game long enough to know the rules by now - so that was just trying to cheat, plain and simple. Right out of the Homan book of 'sportsmanship'. It was absolute bush league from him.

People say that Kennedy is a good team player, etc. He may well be a good team player, but this is not the first time I've seen questionable/disrespectful behaviour from him.
There's no excuse for him sweeping an opposing rock very clearly above the T-line.

Post the clip. Never ever saw Kennedy as you say as a "cheater"

You can sweep at the line and as it reaches the line or across the line.
I side with Kennedy until proof is provided.

03-11-23 10:54PM
sorryguys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sorryguys Find more posts by sorryguys Add sorryguys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sorryguys
Knee-Slider

Gushue Dunstone Game

That was probably as well curled a game as I've ever seen at a Brier !!

03-11-23 11:47PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

I'm aware of the rule.
I guess it's up to you to find the clip - if any clips exist - because I already saw it live.
And, no, it was not close - it was very flagrantly above the T-line on a rock that had been hit and was spinning. Late in an end, late in the game as I recall.

I wouldn't mention it if it wasn't very clear.

Yesterday, he was in Darren's way as he was sweeping in the House. Marc was sweeping and blocking Darren from sweeping. They didn't make a big deal about it - I guess they decided that it wasn't deliberate.
But with today's sweeping above the T-line, one wonders...

There was also the time he mocked Gushue's injury a few years ago - that wasn't received very well by curling fans (I do have a clip of that one below)...
Questionable behaviours from Kennedy are adding up...
https://twitter.com/AnthonyGermain/...7962624?lang=en

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-11-23 at 11:52PM

03-12-23 01:39PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

'Kennedy just swept a McEwen rock that was above the T.' misty1

'YES HE DID - it was very flagrant.' On The Nose

And what did the crack TSN team of Cathy, Russ and Vic have to say about that curling violation?

03-12-23 02:51PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingWatcher1
Gallant will sink Team Bottcher.

Gushue covered up for his inconsistency.

Won't happen on this team.

Are you perhaps the return of fresca? Same style, same super negativity. fresca jr maybe?

03-12-23 02:54PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

He was well in front of the line. The announcers and the other players said nothing as they didn't notice and neither did Kennedy realize he was over the line in the heat of action. It did not make any difference in the outcome, it was not deliberate IMO but a vet should know better.

03-12-23 03:28PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Blew it.

How long before Hebert and Kennedy figure out Gallant and Bottcher aren't clutch performers?

This team can't last long.

What is this insane verbal diarrhea problem around here this week. We need a massive chill pill, no make it a total chill transfusion, and likely some psychotherapy. Gallant has as good a resume as Kennedy/Hebert (give or take the Olympic gold). He was the top second this week, Bottcher the fourth skip. And that final shot today was a miss, sure, but Dunstone missed in the same scenario yesterday on a shot with less unknowns (the weight).

03-12-23 03:48PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I'm very happy to see dunstone in the final. Was dreading another bottcher/gushue match which. After bottcher v.s koe yields the dullest match ups on tour. We have a chance fir a first time winner. Hopefully it'll happen

03-12-23 04:22PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
I'm very happy to see dunstone in the final. Was dreading another bottcher/gushue match which. After bottcher v.s koe yields the dullest match ups on tour. We have a chance fir a first time winner. Hopefully it'll happen

Me too. I'm happy for whoever wins. I've always liked Gushue but just as happy to see at least a new skip win it..

03-12-23 05:03PM
Jones40 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jones40 Click here to Send Jones40 a Private Message Find more posts by Jones40 Add Jones40 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jones40
Harvey Hacksmasher

Normally I have a preference on who I want to see win the brier but in this case, I will be happy with either team. Last night’s game was fun to watch so I am hoping for another great game tonight.

03-12-23 05:19PM
aluchko is offline Click Here to See the Profile for aluchko Click here to Send aluchko a Private Message Find more posts by aluchko Add aluchko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aluchko
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
I'm aware of the rule.
I guess it's up to you to find the clip - if any clips exist - because I already saw it live.

That's not how evidence works.

You're alleging something, you provide the evidence. Do you even know the end & shot?

quote:
Yesterday, he was in Darren's way as he was sweeping in the House. Marc was sweeping and blocking Darren from sweeping. They didn't make a big deal about it - I guess they decided that it wasn't deliberate.

I recall that, I also recall Marc apologizing. It's far from the first time on guy behind the line has accidentally impeded someone on the the other team.

quote:

But with today's sweeping above the T-line, one wonders...

You wonder, no one else does.

quote:
There was also the time he mocked Gushue's injury a few years ago - that wasn't received very well by curling fans (I do have a clip of that one below)...
Questionable behaviours from Kennedy are adding up...
https://twitter.com/AnthonyGermain/...7962624?lang=en [/B]

He wasn't expecting to be televised, he was being goofy with his teammates in an attempt to stay loose before the game.

Have you never goofed on in a way you later regretted? It's hardly something to get worked up about.

03-12-23 05:42PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Happy that it’s MB vs Canada for the title, will be fine with either winning.

Side note; whoever is writing the articles on here really needs to do some better research. The last skip other than Koe, Bottcher or Gushue to win was not in 2013, it was in 2015, with Pat Simmons leading the former Koe rink to gold. Also, Gushue already has four titles so this would not tie anything.

03-12-23 10:34PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

I thought Dunstone handled his first final pretty well outside of the bad call around the corner in 9 but his middle guys left some shots out there and Nichols was Nichols. Was hoping for a new name out there but Goo just adds to his HOF resume.

03-12-23 10:57PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Cream came to the top again. Nichols is one heck of a gamer.

03-12-23 11:11PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

That was a fun game to watch.

It’s remarkable that Gushue has won 5 Briers in 6 years.

Dunstone team played well. They’ll be back.

03-12-23 11:11PM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by aluchko

That's not how evidence works.

^ Yes, that's how it works in this case, because it's my post, and I write what I want, not what you want.

quote:

You're alleging something, you provide the evidence. Do you even know the end & shot?

^ I am alleging nothing. It happened. It was obvious. It was flagrant. It was irrefutable. It was unquestionable and undeniable. It wasn't even close.
Therefore, the onus is not on me to spend my time searching for a video clip - because I've already seen it. Whether others who did not see it choose to believe it or not is out of my control. If they wonder if it occurred or not, or wonder what it looked like, they are free to search for the 'evidence' as you call it.

quote:

I recall that, I also recall Marc apologizing. It's far from the first time on guy behind the line has accidentally impeded someone on the the other team.

^ Yes, Marc said he was sorry. It's easy to say you're sorry - even for something done deliberately.
Yes, it is not the first time impeding like that has occurred - nor will it be the last time.
But it is a very rare occurrence - especially at the elite level.

quote:

You wonder, no one else does.

^ You're erroneously speaking for everyone who saw it as a means of trying to prove yourself 'right'.
Fortunately, intelligent people will realize that you do not, in fact, speak for everyone.

quote:

He wasn't expecting to be televised, he was being goofy with his teammates in an attempt to stay loose before the game.

^ Now you're speaking for Kennedy, too, in your desperate attempt to defend his actions.
Is Marc a personal friend of yours? Or is he just one of your favourites?

quote:

Have you never goofed on in a way you later regretted? It's hardly something to get worked up about.

^ When that occurred (Kennedy mocking Gushue's injury), MANY curling fans criticized Marc. So a good number of people got 'worked up' about it.

I also want to address the poster who said that he saw Kennedy obviously sweeping the opposition's rock well above the T-line, and who said that Marc was not aware that he was above the T-line...
I don't buy that for a second. I've swept many opposition rocks in the House, and I have NEVER, EVER been unaware of where I am or of where my broom is or of where the rock I'm sweeping is. The T-line is very clearly indicated.
Although I've swept many opposition rocks in the House, I am sure that Kennedy has swept many more opposition rocks in the House than I have, as he has played for longer than I have, and, as an elite level curler, he plays more often than I do. There is no way that someone with his vast experience at the highest and most serious level of curling cannot realize that he is sweeping an opposition rock above the T-line.

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-12-23 at 11:23PM

03-12-23 11:26PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Haha....that little man from manitoba lost .....

Could you imagine if that completely unmarketable team actually won?

King Gushue rules and saved curling for 1 more year.

Methinks you need a reminder that the proper king awaits them in Men's Worlds - Niklas Edin wh has won this thing a few time and some other things, too.

Dunstone put on a great show. You're a troll.

03-12-23 11:39PM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Some observations...

Dunstone's hit & roll in the 8th was just about perfect. We'll never know if it would have rolled right on top of the Canada rock with a bit more sweeping.

B.J.'s and Dunstone's freezes in the 10th were also almost perfect. Unfortunately for them, they left a 4 or 5 inch gap, and Nicholls and Gushue picked both of them out with surgical precision - great shots (but it helps to have great ice to make those great shots - they'd be considerably more difficult to make on typical curling club ice).

Dunstone has matured considerably. He went through the week very solidly with the best record, and came through in the clutch many times .

It was nice to see the Harnden brothers embracing each other after the Final, and then the two of them with their dad.

Gushue's team was not looking good 1/3 of the way through the week. They looked disjointed and out of sync, just barely getting by teams that they should have beaten easily. At that point, it was difficult to picture them in the Final, let alone winning it.

Hebert appeared visually to have dropped some weight this year. I don't know if that's true or not - but it looked that way to my eye.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with that Kevin Koe team. Will they make any changes?

Tough luck for Quebec, who started the week terribly, but then got their bearings and missed a tiebreaker by a whisker.

Watch out for Nova Scotia in the Brier and the Scotties over the next 5 years - they impressed in both.

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-12-23 at 11:41PM

03-13-23 12:27AM
MBBruins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBBruins Find more posts by MBBruins Add MBBruins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBBruins
Knee-Slider

Brier Playoffs

I know far less about curling than others posting here. From my simple perspective though, I would say (1) the 1-2 game, 2-3 and Championship games were tremendous. All three games decided were on the last rock in the 10th. So many great shots that outnumber any muscues. (2) For the casual viewer of the game, the Brier playoffs were competitive and generated interest, far more than any promo or hype could deliver. (3) The 8 on the ice tonight are not millionaire athletes, but deserve respect as they play a game they love, as a team, with pride and sportsmanship. Gushue and Co are a class act. Dunstone will be upset but should not hang his head. He made one of the best Canadian curlers ever draw the button to win his record 5th Brier. Dunstone will be back and have his name on the trophy soon himself. (4) Really enjoyed the broadcast. Do not retire just yet Vic. (5) Promoting the game and diversity are laudable goals, but too many teams, or too many teams without a realistic chance if winning. 2 teams for the 4 Atlantic Provinces. 1 team for the 3 Territories. This cuts 4. You could add 2 more Wild Cards (giving you 5 top tier teams) and have 16 teams, not 18.

03-13-23 12:28AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

Another wholly impressive Brier from Gushue. It’s amazing to think that literally 7 years ago he had 0 and was always half step behind. 5 titles in 7 years is historic.

A couple other notes:

These top teams are so good that these games often are following similar patterns. So close, and any multiple point score is rare. Not a criticism, though them being so good and with consistent ice, and there’s less room for volatility in the games.

Dunstone established himself as a top team this week. Previously he was the good up and comer who was happy to make the playoffs. Now he’s a legitimate contender at these.

It’s really a clear top 3 in Canada for men and then a fairly big gap, and I don’t see that changing any time soon.

Good crowds in London! Kamloops was substandard.

Cathy was good in the big booth! She decisive with her comments.

It’s funny to include Ferbey as a “skip” on those all time lists. A pretty major factor is actually throwing last stones.

03-13-23 09:14AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I was really hoping for a new champion

It's clear that the men and women in canada have a very clear division between the top few and the fest and it's not particularly close

Men breaks diwn as the big 4 of gushue, koe , bottcher and then I would add dunstone to that.

Mcewen, Epping, flasch and carruthers are together as the chasing group. They're closest to them but wouldn't bet on either to beat all or more than 1 if the above in the same event.

Then there's a big drop down to everyone else. Watch manuel, horgan, sturmay,gauthier and asselin over the few years to see if they can catch up. They have the most potential of the younger teams put there right now

The women are even more divided. There's the big 3 of Jones, Homan and einarson. The only teams Close to them right now are lawes and mccarville

Then there's a massive gap down to everyone else . Grandy , black and Ackland have potential but they're not at that level yet.

Last edited by misty1 on 03-13-23 at 09:43AM

03-13-23 12:47PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

The same is true world wide. Edin and Mouat are the top class with the Canadian top tier, everyone else behind. Some of the next class down can pull off a big win (Retournaz, the Swiss, the Americans) but not consistently. The women's side--more volatility, more international parity. Always seems to be the case.

03-13-23 02:47PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
The same is true world wide. Edin and Mouat are the top class with the Canadian top tier, everyone else behind. Some of the next class down can pull off a big win (Retournaz, the Swiss, the Americans) but not consistently. The women's side--more volatility, more international parity. Always seems to be the case.

I agree. Any team can run hot over a small sample. Longevity and consistency is key.

I mean, look at John Shuster and the US Olympic gold in 2018. That team probably wins gold 1 in 100 times in that field. Tyler George caught fire and couldn't miss in the playoffs when he was a below average player over the majority of his career.

Sure the Americans won gold. But no one puts Shuster in the conversation with the Martin, Edin, Koe, Ulsrud's of the past few decades.

And yea, right now, Edin and Mouat, in my opinion, are in a tier of their own.

03-13-23 03:37PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

And once again a Cminus to TSN for their broadcast, the EXACT SAME format and graphics they have been using for 20+ years.
And why on earth do you have an interview with Stoughton and a bit on the Harnden brothers WHILE the game was going on? And not even showing the action while they talked? Do them before or at the 5th end break or instead of those repetitive best shots of the week fillers.
Watch 10 pin bowling for a couple minutes on US TV. You will see graphics and computer analytics that really explain rotation and path and speed that would easily be adaptable to curling but TSN doesn't want to spend a dime. SN doesn't want to do it either. Both take their curling audience for granted and both are missing a chance to educate and attract fans and grow the game.

Last edited by hogged again on 03-13-23 at 03:40PM