M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: SF -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 1:00pm ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
SWE (Wranaa) (EE)
GER (Kapp) Final
USA (Farbelow) 10  (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2022 World Men's Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 8 of 10 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-09-22 07:13PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse

Here is the conclusive proof.

https://worldcurling.org/worldrankings/

Canada are third place in men’s curling, slightly behind Switzerland in second (but miles behind top ranked Sweden).

On the women’s side, Canada are a long way back of Switzerland, Sweden and Korea.

That's not conclusive proof of anything. Canadian men remain easily the strongest nation of curlers on the planet, It's not even close. I can only assume you've never competed yourself to make these kind of opinions.

The women took a step back but once you consider depth they remain the strongest group as well, including frequently the #1 ranked team on the planet.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-09-22 07:35PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by guido

Some day you will realize that letting people think your an idiot is better than removing all doubt.

If you’re going to call somebody an idiot you should probably use the correct you’re.

04-09-22 07:39PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Things are getting interesting in the 4v5 game now. USA up 5-4 with hammer in the 10th, but they've given up back to back steals. Can the Scots pull off the comeback after a sub-par performance by Paterson (who had a draw for 2 but Menzies burnt the rock, otherwise it could be 5-5 now)..

04-09-22 08:08PM
Martym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martym Find more posts by Martym Add Martym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911
Things are getting interesting in the 4v5 game now. USA up 5-4 with hammer in the 10th, but they've given up back to back steals. Can the Scots pull off the comeback after a sub-par performance by Paterson (who had a draw for 2 but Menzies burnt the rock, otherwise it could be 5-5 now)..

No - the USA win 6-4 as Ross missed the promotion on his last stone in the 10th. Still a very topsy turvy game.

So its USA vs Canada and Sweden vs Italy in the semis shortly.

Hopefully that isn't Team Paterson's first and last appearance at the worlds!

04-09-22 08:25PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Maggie

If you’re going to call somebody an idiot you should probably use the correct you’re.

Oh Snap. Right now my grade 4 grammar teacher is dancing with joy.

Feel bad for Scotland to have an off game in the playoffs Was hoping for the come back.

04-09-22 08:50PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Maggie

Did u unterstan wat I rote.

Grammar and spelling police.
I wonder what the www would do without them??

Last edited by guido on 04-09-22 at 08:53PM

04-09-22 11:40PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Unhappy

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel

"Put Guh and Zhoo back in Gushue, says Canadian skip after years of mispronunciation"

Guh-Zhoo.

https://www.tsn.ca/put-guh-and-zhoo...ation-1.1783236

Well... I suppose that puts an end my years-long hope that Brad would land an interesting endorsement deal with Shoe Goo...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

04-10-22 12:15AM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by guido

Did u unterstan wat I rote.

Grammar and spelling police.
I wonder what the www would do without them??

You missed my point. If you’re calling someone an idiot and you don’t know the difference between your and you’re…then who looks like an idiot? The irony was in someone who doesn’t know correct grammar calling someone else an idiot. Never mind; irony is dead. Carry on.

04-10-22 12:58AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

LOFL.
Hooz da ijiut nauw!!
You’re starting to remove all doubt also.
Keep on policing. Seems like you found something you’re good at.
You’re your own worst enemy.
You’re in.
And your all welcome.
Y’all have a good evening now, ya hear!!

Last edited by guido on 04-10-22 at 01:02AM

04-10-22 02:06AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Who does everyone favour for medals? I’d like to see Italy win bronze. For gold I’d maybe give the edge to Sweden as they have been more consistent though am cheering for Gushue.

04-10-22 05:33AM
skwerl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skwerl Find more posts by skwerl Add skwerl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skwerl
Harvey Hacksmasher

Not a bad week for Team Paterson/Waddell but with Scotland's selection system the worry is that when you don't quite make the most of an opportunity you have to wonder when you'll get another. Must be quite demotivating for them.

I'd make Team Gushue slight favourites for the final with hammer. I don't expect Sundgren's absence will be much of a factor, Magnusson seems more than capable.

04-10-22 07:05AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I could not be less interested in this final.mim so dam sick and tired of the same teams making the final. It's suffocating. This is begging for someone different to break through.

As for bronze. Thatscfar more interesting. I will take US over Italy but it's tough to call

04-10-22 07:54AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by skwerl
Not a bad week for Team Paterson/Waddell but with Scotland's selection system the worry is that when you don't quite make the most of an opportunity you have to wonder when you'll get another. Must be quite demotivating for them.

I would say just the opposite. Total motivation to keep at it and get whatever ingredients are missing to qualify again next year and make the finals.
Same with Team USA.

In the one breath, we're calling for Mouat and Shuster to represent as the best medal chances, and in the next, complaints about seeing the same old same old 4 teams rising to the top.
Good on Dropkin and Waddell.

04-10-22 08:08AM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

I'm hoping the US wins Bronze - Dropkin would be a bit of a sigh of relief/breath of fresh air for USA Curling to show they have two medal contending teams for international competitions. I'm pulling for Gushue and co. to take the Gold, but if they leave with Silver, I won't be upset. Edin is well deserving of a sixth Worlds title and fourth in a row.

It's been a heck of a run for Team Gushue the last eight seasons.
Trials (2): 1 Gold, 1 Bronze
Olympics (1): 1 Bronze
Briers (8): 4 Gold, 1 Silver, 3 Fourths
Worlds (3): 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Pending medal
Slams: 11 W's, 6 RU's (with two more events remaining for this season) and specifically for the four 'Majors' - 7 W's, 3 RU's

Last edited by myhouse911 on 04-10-22 at 08:36AM

04-10-22 10:15AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
Our most likely finalists have evident stories: extending their own resumes as greatest of their generations. But everyone else is fascinating too if they medal or win:

Using world championships to rank greatest teams is problematic when many international teams basically nominate the same teams every year straight to the finals. This tends to understate just how tremendous teams like K.Koe, G Howard etc etc were for years. Winning the Brier was often tougher then winning the World Championship.

My opinion is some of the other guys were better teams at their peak. Gushue and Edin are consistently strong in recent years. Not my definition of greatest though.

My pick for greatest team ever was the R Howard / G Howard / W Middaugh / P Corner team, with some K Martin teams being up there as well. I choose quality over quantity. Impossible to compare generations the rule changes and playing conditions are so different. Some of the things guys like Martin/Werenich/Middaugh etc etc did were special on more difficult ice conditions. I won't get into international teams topics too wide..

04-10-22 11:08AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I’d like to see Italy win bronze first time making the playoffs.

04-10-22 11:22AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Many good points above especially about comparing teams from different eras. I would love to say that Schmirler was the greatest women's team but how can you compare that team with Tirizoni's team today? Don't think you really can. For myself the greatest men's team ever was the Martin team from 2008 - 2010 but Edin is clearly the dominant team now and maybe the greatest ever soon. For those that just look at world and Olympic titles as main measuring stick, I don't think that necessarily indicates a dominant country. If the top ten men's teams in Canada played the top ten men's teams in Sweden in a best of three series; I believe only Edin could win.

Loved the US team's attitude in this World's. Keep playing Dropkin you could be a special talent.

04-10-22 12:03PM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by prairie guy
If the top ten men's teams in Canada played the top ten men's teams in Sweden in a best of three series; I believe only Edin could win.

Does not matter. There’s not a world championship for the “top ten” teams from each country.

Like in every other sport, the world championships pit the pick of each country against each other. The fact that the Canadians have tighter fought competition to get there is not relevant to who wins the worlds.

04-10-22 12:53PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse

Like in every other sport, the world championships pit the pick of each country against each other.

Not true. Other sports world championships are often the best vs best regardless of country. Look at a 100 metre final, there are 3 US guys and 3 from Jamaica. Bobsled always has 2 from Germany on the podium, skiing events have Swiss/Austria (downhill) and Norway (cross), Kenya dominated marathons. Olympic golf allows 1 person from some countries, 2 from others and I think 4 from Korea and USA. Curling is one of the ones like soccer that has 1 per country.
If they wanted the 10 best in the Olympics and had 10 qualifying bonspiels Canada would have 6-8 teams in men's and 5-6 in women's. I'll worry about Canadian curling when those numbers are 2-3.

Last edited by hogged again on 04-10-22 at 01:33PM

04-10-22 01:35PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

I expect classic final. Canada was nervous in the semi as anyone could see because against this field anything less than a spot in the final vs Edin would be considered a failure. Now that they are there in a pick em game where losing wouldn't be considered failure they will be a little more relaxed which makes for a dangerous team,

04-10-22 02:56PM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

Not true. Other sports world championships are often the best vs best regardless of country. Look at a 100 metre final, there are 3 US guys and 3 from Jamaica. Bobsled always has 2 from Germany on the podium, skiing events have Swiss/Austria (downhill) and Norway (cross), Kenya dominated marathons. Olympic golf allows 1 person from some countries, 2 from others and I think 4 from Korea and USA. Curling is one of the ones like soccer that has 1 per country.
If they wanted the 10 best in the Olympics and had 10 qualifying bonspiels Canada would have 6-8 teams in men's and 5-6 in women's. I'll worry about Canadian curling when those numbers are 2-3.

You're confusing team sports from individual sports. In team sports it's nearly always one per country (apart from bobsled, for some reason)

100m, skiing, marathons, they're all individual sports.

04-10-22 04:19PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

Depth of talent, no other country comes close to Canada. When Edin's creaky back fails in a couple of years Sweden need to rebuild. Norway is rebuilding and Scotland has their young guns but after that, who knows.

04-10-22 04:21PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Congratulations to Italy on their bronze medal. I guess they figured out the ice!

04-10-22 05:58PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by prairie guy
Many good points above especially about comparing teams from different eras. I would love to say that Schmirler was the greatest women's team but how can you compare that team with Tirizoni's team today? Don't think you really can. For myself the greatest men's team ever was the Martin team from 2008 - 2010 but Edin is clearly the dominant team now and maybe the greatest ever soon. For those that just look at world and Olympic titles as main measuring stick, I don't think that necessarily indicates a dominant country. If the top ten men's teams in Canada played the top ten men's teams in Sweden in a best of three series; I believe only Edin could win.

Loved the US team's attitude in this World's. Keep playing Dropkin you could be a special talent.

Agreed on Martin plus Werenich, Middaugh had seasons where they truly dominated all season. Howard's I can't remember but I do recall Glenn/Richard went on a tremendous run one year. Guiys like Stoughton were awfully good but less world titles because of the competition they faced getting there ( getting out of Manitoba wasn't easy; R. Howard / Werenich butted heads many times ).

04-10-22 06:08PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13
Depth of talent, no other country comes close to Canada. When Edin's creaky back fails in a couple of years Sweden need to rebuild. Norway is rebuilding and Scotland has their young guns but after that, who knows.

Lot of countries have their one pro team with a couple of stars and not much behind them. A few exceptions especially in women's. Canada could send their 20th best men's team and still be medal threats; at least 7 or 8 of them would be gold medal threats. My opinion the reason we don't win more often lately is we burn out our players qualifying.