M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: SF -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 1:00pm ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
SWE (Wranaa) (EE)
GER (Kapp) Final
USA (Farbelow) 10  (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2022 World Men's Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 10 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-07-22 11:32PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Who does E.J replace after the break? Brett again, or someone else?

ETA: it's Geoff taking a seat, with Brett throwing lead rocks.

Last edited by myhouse911 on 04-07-22 at 11:38PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-07-22 11:45PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911
it's Geoff taking a seat

I'm not super familiar with Team Gushue lore. Did Geoff fully recover from the shoulder injury at 2017 Brier?

I know that many curlers have lingering injuries that span multiple seasons, probably even a lifetime. I always expected Geoff to be the one benched in any substitution, but maybe he's pretty much 100%, I'm honestly not sure.

04-08-22 12:44AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

I'm not super familiar with Team Gushue lore. Did Geoff fully recover from the shoulder injury at 2017 Brier?

I know that many curlers have lingering injuries that span multiple seasons, probably even a lifetime. I always expected Geoff to be the one benched in any substitution, but maybe he's pretty much 100%, I'm honestly not sure.

Canada never “benches”. players. Many Countries with one team of hand picked players however do quite often, before, during, and after competitions. Canada substitutes players in if they’re way up, or way down, in individual games, to let the 5th get some live game experience in case they’re needed. NOT on a whim of the coaches or so called executives who think they know best, getting paid from above. Countries that only have one team, which is half or more at the worlds, are more likely to substitute players to try and justify their jobs and existence. “Look at me I’m trying to win to keep my job and funding”. Canada sticks with the girl they came with to the dance vs let’s dance with the new girl and hope for the best.

Good game for Canada tonight.

04-08-22 01:06AM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Simone Gonin was ejected in the 10th end of Italy’s game against Czech for slamming his broom on the carpet and his broom head flew off and across the adjacent sheet while Korey Dropkin was delivering the hammer.

04-08-22 01:22AM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Fact is, Sweden won men's gold in 2018, 2019, and 2021, and Switzerland won women's gold in 2019, 2021, 2022.

That's not an attack against Canada per se. That's just a simple fact.

I think most people would agree that if the gold medal from the last 3 world championship had been won by one team, then that team is kind of "dominant" (for lack of better words) over the competition for that period of time.

Here is the conclusive proof.

https://worldcurling.org/worldrankings/

Canada are third place in men’s curling, slightly behind Switzerland in second (but miles behind top ranked Sweden).

On the women’s side, Canada are a long way back of Switzerland, Sweden and Korea.

04-08-22 01:48AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by southerncurler
Simone Gonin was ejected

One of the reasons why I love curling is that pretty much every scenario in the rule book actually happens at high profile games. When I first read the rule book, I laughed at how many crazy scenarios it covered. Then I started watching more and I realized that, yes, all those crazy scenarios (and more!) do happen in actual games at the highest level.

I still haven't seen a 5-way measure yet, though. The WCF policy to measure 5-way stones is fun to read, but I've yet to see it executed.

04-08-22 03:00AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse

Here is the conclusive proof.

https://worldcurling.org/worldrankings/

This is one of the most useless rankings in sport. It serves a single purpose: rank performance at select WCT events over four years. And even then it's idiotic. In what world are the Swiss above Scotland and Canada for 2018-2022?

04-08-22 05:06AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
In what world are the Swiss above Scotland and Canada for 2018-2022?

You can easily make this case for the women's rankings.

Switzerland
2018 Olympics #7
2018 World #8
2019 World #1
2021 World #1
2022 World #1
2022 Olympics #4

Scotland/GBR
2018 Olympics #4
2018 World #9
2019 World #10
2021 World #8
2022 World DNF
2022 Olympics #1

Canada
2018 Olympics #6
2018 World #1
2019 World #8
2021 World #5
2022 World #3
2022 Olympics #5

Maybe it can be argued that Scotland should be at the top of the ranking if you weight Olympics more than Worlds, but there's no way the spot should be given to Canada.

04-08-22 11:53AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Exciting final day ahead. With Canada facing Denmark last they should be able to secure 1st or 2nd. SWE has NOR left; they've lost to similar teams but I think we see SWE and CAN in the semis.

Beyond that...??? I don't have time to run all the scenarios but I'd think all teams at 4-5 are in? Could 7 even be possible? I doubt it. We know at least 4/6 teams will have 5+ losses. So one at 6 seems likely.

Of those...all play at least 1 other alive team. So it'll be chaos.

04-08-22 02:46PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Things will be greatly simplified if Italy hangs on to beat norway and Germany beats korea

If Germany wins it eliminates 6 loss teams since Switzerland and Scotland play each other and only 1 can drop to 6. That would mean Germany and that games winner complete the top 6.

Now, if Korea wins then loses their last 6 loss teams are alive. You wouldn't think Korea would lose to the Netherlands but you wouldn't have had them losing to Finland or Denmark either so...

In that case the Switzerland v.s Scotland winner would be in. 8f Switzerland lost then based 9n dsc Germany would get the final spot. If Scotland lost then they'd get the final spot on dsc anyway

So for Germany it's simple. Win this afternoon and you're in . I hope they do. I like this young team but that's a lot of pressure

04-08-22 05:16PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

SWE benched Christoffer Sundgren for 3 most recent games, due to -- in Edin's own words -- "an old war wound, injury on his groin that comes and goes". Alternate Daniel Magnusson played as vice at lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPzGgf9yRi4&t=3m16s

FIN also had to bench Leo Ouni due to COVID. Alternate Jermu Pollanen played vice at second, vice at lead, and just plain lead.

https://worldcurling.org/2022/04/wm...-covid-finland/

Both men played with their own black tape brooms.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-08-22 at 05:41PM

04-08-22 06:23PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Norway eating Swedish Fish at the 5th end break. Ha!

04-08-22 06:28PM
Skid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skid Click here to Send Skid a Private Message Find more posts by Skid Add Skid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skid
Harvey Hacksmasher

I was wondering what Jules Owchar is really doing.
After 14 draws Team Canada Jules should know which rocks are straight and which are curling.
The loss to the US and blaming the rocks saying not knowing which one curl is a poor excuse.

04-08-22 07:40PM
Bulls Eye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bulls Eye Find more posts by Bulls Eye Add Bulls Eye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bulls Eye
Harvey Hacksmasher

Wow. Norway just scored 3 in 9 to take the lead by 1 heading home against Sweden. With a win they are still in it.

04-08-22 08:32PM
Bulls Eye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bulls Eye Find more posts by Bulls Eye Add Bulls Eye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bulls Eye
Harvey Hacksmasher

Great raise by Edin to salvage the win.

I think Korea, Scotland and Switzerland all control their destiny for the last playoff spot. Would much rather watch the Scotland/Switzerland game than the Canada/Denmark one.

04-08-22 08:45PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

So looks like this is what we're playing for for the last match.

Canada can get 1st overall with a win over Denmark with Sweden in 2nd. If Denmark win, Sweden is 1st and Canada is 2nd.

Germany is out. Every combination that ties them for the last qualification spot will make them lose because they either lose on tiebreaker if Korea and Scotland lose. Or on draw shot if it's Korea and Switzerland that lose because even if Switzerland have the worst two throws ever, they've been great all week that it won't penalize them more than 2 cm and Germany has a lot about 10 cm back.

So the massive matchup is Scotland vs Switzerland. Scotland has a simple win and you're in, lose and you're out scenario. Switzerland can still qualify with a Korea loss.

Korea is in with a win over the Netherlands. They can also qualify with a Scotland loss.

The other big matchup for second spot is USA-Italy. Winner gets 3rd spot loser is in no matter what. Not going to do the 4th to 6th rankings, but pretty sure that's what is required from all teams.

04-08-22 10:16PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Rhona Martin provided info re: Scottish rink. No injury to K. Waddell. They have been trying different versions of their throwing order/skip and this current one is what they feel gives them the best results.

04-09-22 12:20AM
Saskvet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Saskvet Find more posts by Saskvet Add Saskvet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

Team Canada

I think what Canada has to do in order to compete at Worlds is find 4 compatible guys with excellent ability at shooting and sweeping, keep them together for a number of years. Have them compete with 5 or 6 other great teams on a regular basis, Bring over a few European teams to hone their skills. Maybe win a few briers just for good measure and go to the Olympics to keep them sharp.
Then maybe they will be able to compete with countries that have maybe two good teams

04-09-22 12:33AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
re: Scottish rink

Do you or anyone else know of a video where Team Paterson pronounce their own names?

Vic Rauter does his research, so I think he'd be close to correct, but as a non-Scottish I will have to say that he pronounces Waddell and Menzies rather unexpectedly for me.

It sounds like at least some Waddells and some Menzies do pronounce their names the way Vic says them, based on internet research. It would be nice to hear them out of the curlers' own mouths, though.

04-09-22 01:12AM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Pronunciations:
Paterson - Pat-er-sun
Waddell - Wha-dul (like a duck waddles.
Menzies - Meniz's ?(according to Rhona, havent watched the replay to confirm, just going off memory)

Top 6
Canada, Sweden, Italy, USA, Scotland, and Switzerland. The Suisse owe a big thanks to the Netherlands.

04-09-22 01:42AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Menzies - Meniz's ?(according to Rhona, havent watched the replay to confirm, just going off memory)

Vic Rauter says it like "MING-iss".

BBC News: Why is Menzies pronounced Mingis?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4595228.stm

04-09-22 03:59AM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:
Rhona Martin provided info re: Scottish rink. No injury to K. Waddell. They have been trying different versions of their throwing order/skip and this current one is what they feel gives them the best results.
So are they now officially Team Waddell rather than Team Paterson?

04-09-22 04:13AM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

I've never heard a single commentator say Gushue right so I don't think we should trust their interpretations for any names.

Also interesting Gushue places 1st despite only having hammer 3 times; Sweden had it every time except 2.

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 04-09-22 at 04:25AM

04-09-22 04:25AM
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
I've never heard a single commentator say Gushue right so I don't think we should trust their interpretations.

Also interesting Gushue places 1st despite only having hammer 3 times; Sweden had it every time except 2.

How do you say Gushue? I always assumed it was like Goo-shoo

04-09-22 04:27AM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse

How do you say Gushue? I always assumed it was like Goo-shoo

Apparently there is a Z!

https://twitter.com/cullenoncurling...553506316828678

Apparently this is the common NL way to say it. I've literally never heard it that way until that tweet this year, which is wild after nearly 25 years of him in the sport.