Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
ProCurlingWear - Create Your Design
Subscribe to The Curling News today!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (12): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Wow , Robertson just completely demolished einarson. Defending champ out

Birchard through as well. I'd be really interested in a birchad v.s Jones final.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-28-17 07:23PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Wow , Robertson just completely demolished einarson. Defending champ out

Birchard through as well. I'd be really interested in a birchad v.s Jones final.

Robertson slipping by Einarson would have been considered a major upset - Robertson completely fileting Kerri E. is MASSIVE.

That said, I'd favour Birchard to topple Robertson in the 3 vs. 4 game.

And I reckon veteran Englot will at the very least give JJ a tough slug.

Old Post 01-28-17 08:22PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

gushue out of newfoundland ..again.

its nothing against gushue at all but its just gotten to the point where i dont even need to check the results anymore. something has to be done , anything to help get these other newfoundland teams up to a level where they can challenge brad.

it would be nice to see someone new get out of that province.

at this rate brad will be in his 50's and still getting to the brier out of newfoundland.

Old Post 01-28-17 08:57PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

stacie curtis defends her title and will rep newfoundland at the scotties again this year

and in nova scotia jill brothers has made the final and will play mary mattatal for the title

Old Post 01-28-17 08:59PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
something has to be done , anything to help get these other newfoundland teams up to a level where they can challenge brad.

Pour On Money. Hit the Tour. TeamGushue has a pretty good machine built. The OlyMedal was their leverage. Could the prov assoc help? Gonna be a great Brier though. Still wanna go.

Old Post 01-28-17 09:57PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by nelski

Pour On Money. Hit the Tour. TeamGushue has a pretty good machine built. The OlyMedal was their leverage. Could the prov assoc help? Gonna be a great Brier though. Still wanna go.

a lot of the teams based in the atlantic provinces just have trouble getting out to spiels. i definitely think curling canada could help. surely they see the need to try and grow the game there. i dont know what kinds of programs are in place within the province but they obviously arent working.

Old Post 01-28-17 10:08PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

michele englot up 7-3 on jones after 7. looks like it'll be englot in the final and jones v.s robertson in the semis unless jones and birchard make some big comebacks

Old Post 01-28-17 10:44PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
michele englot up 7-3 on jones after 7. looks like it'll be englot in the final and jones v.s robertson in the semis unless jones and birchard make some big comebacks

Young Miss Birchard didn't live up to the hype and shook hands early w/ her latest conqueror - the veteran Robertson.

Englot looks like she's watched a ton of JJ's games over the years - and knows exactly how to bait Jones and set the trap. Jones falls hard, when she's behind and her tendency for questionable rock-positioning always creates problems.

I suspect Jones will come off the loss to Englot like water off a duck's back - BUT she'll still struggle vs. Robertson Sunday a.m on Sportsnet (8am eastern).

At 53 Michelle Englot finally found the horses to do some damage. Her front end girls are both bigger and physically stronger (not to mention younger) than JJ's long-time lieutenant Jill Officer. In Kate Cameron Englot has a solid and reliable 3rd who might not be in the same league as the so-called Canadian super-3rd (Miskew, Lawes, Olson-Johns) but she does whatever needs to be done. Englot, a far more defensive strategist to Jones cannot create offense as JJ can - BUT she defends better and doesn't leave her team as exposed as Jones does.

That said - I don't think Englot could hold up all that well over a full week of STOH curling - her best finish might be 8-3, although I think 7-4 (and a tiebreaker or outright 4th) record is her destiny!

Robertson would finish out of the playoff hunt - somewhere between 4-7 and 6-5.

Jones, now curling at a distinctly lower level than last 4 years is vulnerable to any team who challenges her rock placement and who's skip can make all the basic shots. I think JJ makes the playoffs - either 7-4 or 8-3. Her defensive shortcomings and her own personal deterioration as a shot-maker (probably still 75 to 81 most games vs. 79 to 89 prior)dictates she will have limited success against the super teams and got even get stung by a Scotties fawn (or 2)

Besides, after an entire half week of NOT being on TV - she gets to make up for that big-time Sunday - with two potential appearances!

Old Post 01-28-17 11:17PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Young Miss Birchard didn't live up to the hype and shook hands early w/ her latest conqueror - the veteran Robertson.

Englot looks like she's watched a ton of JJ's games over the years - and knows exactly how to bait Jones and set the trap. Jones falls hard, when she's behind and her tendency for questionable rock-positioning always creates problems.

I suspect Jones will come off the loss to Englot like water off a duck's back - BUT she'll still struggle vs. Robertson Sunday a.m on Sportsnet (8am eastern).

At 53 Michelle Englot finally found the horses to do some damage. Her front end girls are both bigger and physically stronger (not to mention younger) than JJ's long-time lieutenant Jill Officer. In Kate Cameron Englot has a solid and reliable 3rd who might not be in the same league as the so-called Canadian super-3rd (Miskew, Lawes, Olson-Johns) but she does whatever needs to be done. Englot, a far more defensive strategist to Jones cannot create offense as JJ can - BUT she defends better and doesn't leave her team as exposed as Jones does.

That said - I don't think Englot could hold up all that well over a full week of STOH curling - her best finish might be 8-3, although I think 7-4 (and a tiebreaker or outright 4th) record is her destiny!

Robertson would finish out of the playoff hunt - somewhere between 4-7 and 6-5.

Jones, now curling at a distinctly lower level than last 4 years is vulnerable to any team who challenges her rock placement and who's skip can make all the basic shots. I think JJ makes the playoffs - either 7-4 or 8-3. Her defensive shortcomings and her own personal deterioration as a shot-maker (probably still 75 to 81 most games vs. 79 to 89 prior)dictates she will have limited success against the super teams and got even get stung by a Scotties fawn (or 2)

Besides, after an entire half week of NOT being on TV - she gets to make up for that big-time Sunday - with two potential appearances!

what are you talking about? the live score on curl manitoba has birchard now tied with robertson 6-6..or are you there in person?

englot gets a 9th end deuce and thats game.

Old Post 01-28-17 11:21PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

WOW - Birchard has mounted a furious comeback and has tied the game playing the 10th - Robertson w/ hammer.

Jones will have her troubles with either Robertson or Birchard as these teams have been facing good competition all weak. Jones was basically playing fawns - until Englot confronted her.

Whether Robertson or Birchard have Jones scouted as well as Englot remains to be seen. Jones still has to play Englot again - should she slither by her semi-final tomorrow.

Jones will never change her hyper-aggressive style so pros like Englot have learned to use it against her. Don't know if Robertson or Birchard have the horses to pull it off!

Old Post 01-28-17 11:29PM
ObsessiveCurler
Administrator

eek. All 3 favorites (Lawton,Sweeting,Jones) lose their 1-2 games and drop to the semi-final.

Old Post 01-28-17 11:33PM
ObsessiveCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ObsessiveCurler Click here to Send ObsessiveCurler a Private Message Find more posts by ObsessiveCurler Add ObsessiveCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oly M. Pics
Hitting Paint

Casey v sweeting winner plays kleibrink.
Lawton v barker winner plays silvernagle
Jones v robertson winner plays englot

Last edited by Oly M. Pics on 01-28-17 at 11:38PM

Old Post 01-28-17 11:35PM
Oly M. Pics is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oly M. Pics Click here to Send Oly M. Pics a Private Message Find more posts by Oly M. Pics Add Oly M. Pics to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Well, Birchard fought bravely after falling so far behind but came up just short. Robertson v.s Jones in the semis

Meanwhile in Alberta Shannon kleibrink returns to skip and steals the win over Val!

So it will be scheidegger v.sweeting in the semis and not the final .

Good night for the veterans

Old Post 01-28-17 11:35PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Honestly, I'm somewhat stunned that tour regulars Sweeting & Jones plus Saskatchewan powerhouse Lawton all took a dump in their 1 vs. 1 games.

Jones was the most telling - as she was 7-0, undefeated going into tonite's game w/ Englot - who already have been racked up twice.

Lawton barfed up an early lead (she usually only does that in Canadian playoffs) to get knocked down in an extra end to Silvernagle.

Sweeting also tasted defeated early this week but I really thought she'd be able to rebound and sail into the STOHs. WRONG!

Right now I have no idea which ones have the team fortitude to buckle down and rebound in their semi-finals and knock off whoever is waiting for them in the provincial final.

Right now - with regard to Jones, Sweeting, Lawton I'd say the chances of 1 of them going thru = 55%; 2 going thru = around 33%; all 3 going thru - 12%; none going thru = 7%

EDIT: Apologies to Stef Lawton - it was Silvernagle who barfed up a 6-1 lead but needed an extra end to suppress Lawton. I had it the other way around!

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 01-28-17 at 11:51PM

Old Post 01-28-17 11:44PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Well, Birchard fought bravely after falling so far behind but came up just short. Robertson v.s Jones in the semis

Meanwhile in Alberta Shannon kleibrink returns to skip and steals the win over Val!

So it will be scheidegger v.sweeting in the semis and not the final .

Good night for the veterans

What is the rule in Alberta curling. If Kleibrink starts and completes her game - NO PROBLEM!
However, the question arises - if Shannon can't complete the match - can their 5th player (Nedohin) come in off the bench and throw last rocks?

Old Post 01-28-17 11:47PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Jones probably is the safest one to get to the final

Lawton,I just don't know

Sweet in could very easily losy to scheidegger, probably the one most in danger of losing their semi

Old Post 01-28-17 11:51PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

What is the rule in Alberta curling. If Kleibrink starts and completes her game - NO PROBLEM!
However, the question arises - if Shannon can't complete the match - can their 5th player (Nedohin) come in off the bench and throw last rocks?

It's the same as anywhere. If a player gets injured the 5th can come in if needed

Old Post 01-28-17 11:54PM
Oly M. Pics
Hitting Paint

quote:

Really? I thought you knew the basic rules.

Old Post 01-28-17 11:56PM
Oly M. Pics is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oly M. Pics Click here to Send Oly M. Pics a Private Message Find more posts by Oly M. Pics Add Oly M. Pics to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Jones probably is the safest one to get to the final

Lawton,I just don't know

Sweet in could very easily losy to scheidegger, probably the one most in danger of losing their semi

Jones is probably 56/58% to advance to Manitoba final; just don't know if she can escape Englot - a fairly unknown commodity (to Jones) who seems to know all JJ's weaknesses.

Sweeting could easily lose to Schiedegger but vice-versa. Casey hasn't exactly set alberta on fire this event. Shannon and Heather have been there before - and both know how to close things out. However, if Sweeting powers up she'll more than likely win both matches Sunday.

Lawton is an absolute wildcard. But she's a virtual powerhouse in her home province. Might be her last kick at the cat as Singler is 42+ and Iskiw ain't no spring chicken. Just don't know enough about Silvernagle to lay odds. But I say Lawton is the odds-on favourite to defeat Penny Barker and advance to Sask'n final.

Old Post 01-29-17 12:04AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Jones is probably 56/58% to advance to Manitoba final; just don't know if she can escape Englot - a fairly unknown commodity (to Jones) who seems to know all JJ's weaknesses.

Sweeting could easily lose to Schiedegger but vice-versa. Casey hasn't exactly set alberta on fire this event. Shannon and Heather have been there before - and both know how to close things out. However, if Sweeting powers up she'll more than likely win both matches Sunday.

Lawton is an absolute wildcard. But she's a virtual powerhouse in her home province. Might be her last kick at the cat as Singler is 42+ and Iskiw ain't no spring chicken. Just don't know enough about Silvernagle to lay odds. But I say Lawton is the odds-on favourite to defeat Penny Barker and advance to Sask'n final.

they have played 7 times now so i really dont think englot is that unknown to her

Old Post 01-29-17 07:50AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

ontario provincials start today. womens side there are 4 teams that could win it: homan, flaxey, harrison and middaugh..would be pretty shocking if any other team came and took the title

mens side ..well probably look at epping and howard . epping has made the final 2 years in a row, might this be his time?. im not so sure. i was a lot more confident last year when he went in playing brilliantly but this year has been more average with a few good weeks thrown in. im gonna predict neither one of epping or howard win. im not sure who will but i think we'll be in for a surprise here.balsdon or bice seem like good choices. i'll go further and predict epping to miss the playoffs entirely.

Old Post 01-29-17 08:19AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:

they have played 7 times now so i really dont think englot is that unknown to her

That's not a lot of games - plus I don't think they've ever met (maybe once) at a Scotties; obviously they've never met at a Manitoba championship because Michelle was just imported this year after Red McDonald retired.

Besides - we all know the basics of any Jones game. She'll come out full throttle - trying for a 3 or 4-ender, wildly avoiding defensive play - setting up bear traps that usually back-fire and trap the trapper.

Robertson, a former Manitoba champion in her own right - is a typical field plodder who runs a traditional game. She'll welcome the opportunity to ensnare Jones in her own land mines. Jones no longer has the killer shots that made her one of the greatest of all-time. She forces the issue far too much, allowing slightly above average teams to rope her in and knock her off.

Robertson doesn't have the team, the shots nor the ability to win vs. Canada's top teams - but she's got the local chops to dislodge Jones from her throne. I still favour Jones this a.m. as 55% favourites but I think if Jones advances it will be a roller-coaster. Both matches!

ON a personal note I think if Jones dismantles herself today the biggest loser is The Scott Tournament of Hearts - love her or loathe her Jennifer almost always delivers an exciting and passionate on-ice performance. Her matches are seldom boring - which is something I can't say for the other top Canadian women. There's really nobody else quite like her.

Old Post 01-29-17 08:34AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

That's not a lot of games - plus I don't think they've ever met (maybe once) at a Scotties; obviously they've never met at a Manitoba championship because Michelle was just imported this year after Red McDonald retired.

Besides - we all know the basics of any Jones game. She'll come out full throttle - trying for a 3 or 4-ender, wildly avoiding defensive play - setting up bear traps that usually back-fire and trap the trapper.

Robertson, a former Manitoba champion in her own right - is a typical field plodder who runs a traditional game. She'll welcome the opportunity to ensnare Jones in her own land mines. Jones no longer has the killer shots that made her one of the greatest of all-time. She forces the issue far too much, allowing slightly above average teams to rope her in and knock her off.

Robertson doesn't have the team, the shots nor the ability to win vs. Canada's top teams - but she's got the local chops to dislodge Jones from her throne. I still favour Jones this a.m. as 55% favourites but I think if Jones advances it will be a roller-coaster. Both matches!

ON a personal note I think if Jones dismantles herself today the biggest loser is The Scott Tournament of Hearts - love her or loathe her Jennifer almost always delivers an exciting and passionate on-ice performance. Her matches are seldom boring - which is something I can't say for the other top Canadian women. There's really nobody else quite like her.

i cant help but think that curling canada is crossing their fingers that at least one of jones, sweeting or lawton come through today. if they dont they'll be praying rachel wins ontario. last year there was a real lack of big names at the scotties but at least jen was there. this year , can you imagine not having jones, sweeting, homan or lawton there?

Old Post 01-29-17 08:56AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:

i cant help but think that curling canada is crossing their fingers that at least one of jones, sweeting or lawton come through today. if they dont they'll be praying rachel wins ontario. last year there was a real lack of big names at the scotties but at least jen was there. this year , can you imagine not having jones, sweeting, homan or lawton there?

I think a return of Shannon Kleibrink might actually give STOH organizers a bigger boost than the younger but seemingly perpetually perplexed Val Sweeting. Having the animated Heather Nedohin around - another fan favourite certainly helps.

Lawton is neither here nor there. She's never really connected with fans. Sherri Singler, her 2nd the only one with a big personality!

Robertson is a nice lady, I'm sure = but she's not a ratings builder or fan favourite on foreign soil. If Englot wins that would be a bigger story than even Jones or Homan getting pushed aside. A 53 yr old shot-smith from Regina - imported when Red McDonald got fed up with the game. Truly amazing - she'd be a super fan favourite - a mix of Manitoba fans, her own Sask'n fans and those people (like myself) who love stories of redemption.

Don't think Flaxey, Harrison or Middaugh have the gravitas of Team Homan. Team Homan is really the sterling silver of Canadian women's curling. There is no clear dominant personality on Team Homan - all their players have legions of fans, although to be fair I suspect Emma Miskew has the most.

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 01-29-17 at 09:08AM

Old Post 01-29-17 09:06AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Melissa Martin, the best curling writer in Manitoba has a nice piece on how Englot pulled off her conquest of Jones.

Mostly to do with fresh ice, larger crowds, nobody curling on adjacent sheets, etc. Englot caught onto the ice faster.

Jones is often lost on ice she's familiar with.

Imagine her headaches with changing ice conditions? JJ is simply not that great at in-game adjustments!

Old Post 01-29-17 09:29AM