M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: SF -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 1:00pm ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
SWE (Wranaa) (EE)
GER (Kapp) Final
USA (Farbelow) 10  (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 9 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-14-16 02:37PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

2016 Women's Worlds

So....it's time for the big games to begin.

Women's Worlds in Canada starting this weekend.

Teams:
Canada (Carey)
USA (Brown)
Sweden (Sigfridsson Skipping, Prytz throwing 4th stones)
Switzerland (Feltscher)
South Korea (Gim)
Scotland (Muirhead)
Russia (Sidorova)
Denmark (Nielsen)
Finland (Kauste)
Germany (Driendl)
Italy (Apollonio)
Japan (Fujisawa)

Typical Round Robin to be followed by Page Playoff. WCF "Only One Tiebreaker draw" provisions are in effect in case of ties after RR.

My predictions for the final four are:
Canada, USA, Scotland, Denmark

Canada likely to take the Gold, but USA has a chance.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-14-16 03:07PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Canada
Russia
Scotland
Swiss

Canada Scotland final

03-14-16 04:47PM
PatS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PatS Click here to Send PatS a Private Message Find more posts by PatS Add PatS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PatS
Knee-Slider

Canada gets bronze at best.

Predictions

Gold: Scotland
Silver: Russia
Bronze: Switzerland maybe Canada

03-14-16 06:47PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Re: 2016 Women's Worlds

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
So....it's time for the big games to begin.

Women's Worlds in Canada starting this weekend.

Teams:
Canada (Carey)
USA (Brown)
Sweden (Sigfridsson Skipping, Prytz throwing 4th stones)
Switzerland (Feltscher)
South Korea (Gim)
Scotland (Muirhead)
Russia (Sidorova)
Denmark (Nielsen)
Finland (Kauste)
Germany (Driendl)
Italy (Apollonio)
Japan (Fujisawa)

Typical Round Robin to be followed by Page Playoff. WCF "Only One Tiebreaker draw" provisions are in effect in case of ties after RR.

My predictions for the final four are:
Canada, USA, Scotland, Denmark

Canada likely to take the Gold, but USA has a chance.

Hard to say... There's quite a few decent teams. The top teams:

Canada - duh!
USA, Sweden, Switzerland, Scotland, and Russia are the next in my groupings. Any of these teams could make it into the top four.

Finland, Germany, Italy, and Japan, Denmark, and South Korea I'll put in the last half.

Although, as can happen, a team on the outside could get hot during the week and do well (Korea, for instance). Sigfridsson/Prytz have been a bit cold lately, but go into the top half because they could turn it on.

USA has a decent chance to do well, I think.

03-14-16 07:35PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

USA won't make the final 4.

03-15-16 09:13AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido
USA won't make the final 4.

I think there's quite a few teams who could break into the top 4-5. And it will depend on who's hot that week and firing on all cylinders. I think the USA does have that possibility.

03-15-16 09:15AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Re: Re: 2016 Women's Worlds

quote:
Originally posted by IMWright

Canada - duh!

I am generally not trying to be a troll here in asking this.

Is Carey an elite international womens team? I know she won the Scotties, but how has she done on the truly elite international stage?

I know any Scotties win is huge, but it was missing Sweeting and Homan, and had a Jones team that was not at its best.

03-15-16 09:57AM
Claire Marie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Claire Marie Click here to Send Claire Marie a Private Message Find more posts by Claire Marie Add Claire Marie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Claire Marie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: 2016 Women's Worlds

quote:
Originally posted by curlky

Is Carey an elite international womens team? I know she won the Scotties, but how has she done on the truly elite international stage?

I know any Scotties win is huge, but it was missing Sweeting and Homan, and had a Jones team that was not at its best.

Right! I think if Homan and Sweeting had been there, the total outcome might have been different, but Carey, I'm sure, would have been in the mix....but probably silver or bronze.

03-15-16 09:59AM
PatS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PatS Click here to Send PatS a Private Message Find more posts by PatS Add PatS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PatS
Knee-Slider

quote:

Exactly that is why i posted above that i would be surprised if Carey got bronze Scottie's field this year was one of the weakest i ever saw.

03-15-16 10:24AM
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:

I think any Canadian team that makes it out of the Scotties will be a playoff contender. The depth of field is so deep there, that even a "so/so" team at the Scotties will have a good chance of doing well at worlds.

03-15-16 10:33AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Statistics Carey Vs. Brown

Carey Entire year:..........42-26....62%
Against top 30 OOM:.......13-18....42%
Against 31-500 OOM:.......29-8....79%

Brown entire year:..........31-11....74%
Against top 30 OOM:.......10-6....63%
Against 31-500 OOM:.......21-5....81%

Just stats, I think Carey is obviously peaking later and I think Brown has had a pretty light schedule in comparison. But I can argue either of these teams could make or miss the podium.

I was really surprised at Carey's record vs. the top 30 teams.

03-15-16 10:38AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Oh,Guido Guido Guido. You need to stroll down to the USA Curling threads to boldly predict that the USA won't make the playoffs? Oh, Guido.

If you want to proclaim "There is no God", fine...just don't do it in church. If you want to declare "The Jets are basically a major Junior hockey team without the financial means to ever contend for the Stanley Cup", fine...just don't say it in Winnipeg.

Now repeat after me, Guido: I'm an exceedingly nice Manitoban and I predict the playoffs will be Canada, Switzerland, Scotland and the USA. Good luck to my southern friends and neighbors (and politely use the American spelling of neighbors just to continue Manitoba's reputation of being overly polite)."

As for Chelsey Cary: I think she's the best female curler in the world and has been for three years. Homan's and JJ's strong teams have kept her from the spotlight too long. During the last Olympic Trials in Winnipeg, I thought she was bordering on brilliant. I think she's crossed that border.

USA medals at Women's Worlds.

Ben Tucker

03-15-16 11:09AM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:

I think you answered your own question. Sweeting was missing because Carey beat her in the Alberta finals. Carey will do just fine at the World's. Considering in the past seven world's the women have produced 3 silvers, 3 bronzes, and once zip...Carey has just a good a chance at gold as any other favourite in the field.

Last edited by Three on 03-15-16 at 11:40AM

03-15-16 11:31AM
Brushing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brushing Find more posts by Brushing Add Brushing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brushing
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2016 Women's Worlds

quote:
Originally posted by Claire Marie

Right! I think if Homan and Sweeting had been there, the total outcome might have been different, but Carey, I'm sure, would have been in the mix....but probably silver or bronze.

Carey would not have been in the mix if Sweeting had been there. Carey had to take Sweeting down to come out of Alberta.

Carey comes from a long line of winners so she knows how to win, and by taking over Nedohin's team she finally has a world-class team to call shots for. Just because it took her a few months to get her team up to world-class play, don't underestimate her.

03-15-16 11:42AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2016 Women's Worlds

quote:
Originally posted by Brushing
Carey comes from a long line of winners so she knows how to win

You don't believe that do you? Your lineage has nothing to do with your own personal ability to win. A lineage of curling might make you a good curler, but winning is a learned thing not an inherited trait.

03-15-16 11:47AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Looking at YTD OOM standings

#5 Carey
#6 Sidorova
#8 Muirhead
#13 Brown
#21 Sigfridsson
#22 Feltscher

Should be a good event and Brown makes the playoffs.

03-15-16 12:08PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Oh,Guido Guido Guido. You need to stroll down to the USA Curling threads to boldly predict that the USA won't make the playoffs? Oh, Guido.

If you want to proclaim "There is no God", fine...just don't do it in church. If you want to declare "The Jets are basically a major Junior hockey team without the financial means to ever contend for the Stanley Cup", fine...just don't say it in Winnipeg.

Now repeat after me, Guido: I'm an exceedingly nice Manitoban and I predict the playoffs will be Canada, Switzerland, Scotland and the USA. Good luck to my southern friends and neighbors (and politely use the American spelling of neighbors just to continue Manitoba's reputation of being overly polite)."

As for Chelsey Cary: I think she's the best female curler in the world and has been for three years. Homan's and JJ's strong teams have kept her from the spotlight too long. During the last Olympic Trials in Winnipeg, I thought she was bordering on brilliant. I think she's crossed that border.

USA medals at Women's Worlds.

Ben Tucker

Ben Ben Ben, LOL. There is only one chance that we will both be wrong. USA gets 4th.
Only time will tell.

03-15-16 01:50PM
Brushing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brushing Find more posts by Brushing Add Brushing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brushing
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2016 Women's Worlds

quote:

You don't believe that do you? Your lineage has nothing to do with your own personal ability to win. A lineage of curling might make you a good curler, but winning is a learned thing not an inherited trait.

I completely believe that modelling is a real psychological phenomenon. You don't inherit a gene for winning, but imitating the behaviors of other winners does prepare you to be a winner and Carey had plenty of exposure to those behaviors.

03-15-16 04:25PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2016 Women's Worlds

quote:

I took that to mean "strategy". She's pretty good with that and knows what she wants each rock to do. I believe the only other time she was at the Scotties, she came out of Manitoba and JJ was just over the Olympics so JJ didn't curl in the playdowns.

03-15-16 11:41PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Hotrocks, those are the 2-year running standings. They are very informative early in the season and key to setting the fields for the big spiels, but I think the Year To Date totals are more appropriate to this case...especially so in the case of the new Erika Brown-Tetley team.

Carey 5
Sidorova 6
Muirhead 8
Brown 13
Sigfridsson 21
Feltscher 22
Fujisawa 31
Gim 63
Neilsen 65
Kauste 80
Dreindl 82
Apolloni 142

Looking closer at the numbers, note that both Sidorova and Muirhead got the majority of their points outside of Canada; whereas Brown got the majority of her points in Canada. I realize that the tour strives to account for strength of field; I just assert that it is far, far, far from perfect.

The 2 Year standing get a lot of points from last year's Worlds. If you have new teams in the equation (like Brown), the YTD seems to be a better yardstick...or meterstick.

Wow. Lots of Canucks slumming here in the USA threads. Mind your Canadian manners here. We don't need your loud, bombastic crap...we already have The Donald.

Ben Tucker

03-16-16 12:43AM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

My fellow Canucks-we've reached the point in North American-hell make that world curling where US results will have to matter in order for the next level of expo$ure to kick in. Erika's rink is having a career year and looked impressive in winning the season opener at High Park/Oakville in Toronto-yes, I know that neither Jennifer or Rachel were there. They've lost twice to Jennifer-but Jennifer won't be there.

Rinks have up and down years and Ms. Brown's crew should not be taken for granted this year.

Was that polite enough Tuck?

03-16-16 10:14AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Tuck loves Canadians almost as he loves giving them the business.

In the Women's World I think Carey, Sidorva and Muirhead are the teams to beat. If pressed for a real bet I think Carey would be my choice but I also think we pose a more serious threat this year than we have historically.

03-17-16 11:39AM
biterbar
Drawmaster

Erika needs a quick start hitting Carey and Muirhead in her first 5 games. A 3-2 start is quick. Feltscher is the opening game and the toughest of the three wins she needs here.

Then 3-1 the next four games which includes Sidorva. The last two games are Kaust and Sigfridsson. I think that Sigfridsson game should be big for both teams.

Carey ..... 10-1
Muirhead .....9-2
Sidorva .....8-3
Brown .....7-4
Feltscher .....7-4
Sigfridsson .....6-5
Nielsen .....4-7
Gim ........4-7
Fujisawa .....4-7
Driendl .....3-8
Kauste .....3-8
Appollonio 1-10

03-17-16 05:26PM
DRCars is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DRCars Click here to Send DRCars a Private Message Find more posts by DRCars Add DRCars to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DRCars
Harvey Hacksmasher

Internet Streaming

Is there going to be any place to stream the Women's worlds in the USA?

I think NBC has the rights but don't see where they are going to show much if any (NBCSN, NBC Universal).

I see they are teed up to be streamed from World Curling TV on Youtube but will they allow viewing in the USA? In the past they have allowed some games to be streamed to USA but not all (Semis and Final sometimes Geo Blocked)

DRCars

03-17-16 05:52PM
BDure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BDure Click here to Send BDure a Private Message Visit BDure's homepage! Find more posts by BDure Add BDure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Internet Streaming

quote:
Originally posted by DRCars
Is there going to be any place to stream the Women's worlds in the USA?

I think NBC has the rights but don't see where they are going to show much if any (NBCSN, NBC Universal).

I see they are teed up to be streamed from World Curling TV on Youtube but will they allow viewing in the USA? In the past they have allowed some games to be streamed to USA but not all (Semis and Final sometimes Geo Blocked)

DRCars

Seconding that question. Does TSN (and therefore ESPN3) not have the rights? I've been spoiled with the Scotties and the Brier.