SCO (Kennedy) Final
CAN (Froud) 10  (7)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 1 -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 12:45am ET
Pere/Cohe  
Serr/Tomp  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > World Men's Curling Chmpshp 2016

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 11 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-29-16 06:15AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

World Men's Championship -- 2016

April 2- 10 ...2016 Basel Switzerland

Playing and practice schedules for the World Men's Curling Championship 2016.

http://www.worldcurling.org/wmcc2016/schedule

------------------------

World-wide TV Schedule..

http://www.worldcurling.org/wmcc201...ampionship-2016

Last edited by HotRocks on 03-29-16 at 09:34AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-29-16 09:48AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Thumbs up Trending ...

The Canadian men have an impressive record - as the women do too - in recent years ...

2006 Silver Menard
2007 Gold Howard
2008 Gold Martin
2009 Silver Martin
2010 Gold Koe
2011 Gold Stoughton
2012 Gold Howard
2013 Silver Jacobs
2014 4th Koe
2015 Bronze Simmons
2016 Tell you next week

Gold or bust is baloney. The above record is as impressive as any in international sport.

03-29-16 09:55AM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

Re: OOM Ranking...

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
Competing Teams - Skip:

Denmark - Hansen (Not Ranked)

Rasmus Stjerne is actually ranked 67 in the OOM

03-29-16 10:56AM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

Re: OOM Ranking...

quote:

Russia - Stukalskiy (Not ranked)

The Russian team is ranked 88th.

03-29-16 11:02AM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

Just for fun the YTD because.
1) Koe (CAN)
8) Edin (SWE)
11) Shuster (USA)
15) Brewster (SCO)
16) Michel (SUI)
17) Ulsrud (NOR)
25) Kim (KOR)
51) Morozumi (JAP)
54) Kauste (FIN)
67) Stjerne (DEN)
80) Baumann (GER)
87) Stukalskiy (RUS) (They made one change, so it's basically the same team)

03-29-16 03:08PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

OOM Rankings - corrected

Competing Teams - Skip:

Canada -... Koe (4)
Sweden -....Edin (6)
Norway -....Ulsrud (10)
United States - Shuster (14)
Switzerland - Michel (16)
Scotland .. Brewster (18)
Japan -.....Morozumi (24)
Finland -.. Kauste (28)
Korea -.... Kim (30)
Denmark - Hansen (Sterjne -67)
Germany -.. Baumann (81)
Russia - Stukalskiy (88)

03-29-16 03:08PM
rtcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rtcurl Click here to Send rtcurl a Private Message Find more posts by rtcurl Add rtcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rtcurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

Odds from Sports Interaction... +100 to win the event outright...

CAN +208
SWE +281
NOR +490
SCO +644
SUI +651
DEN +1100
RUS +1600
JPN +2200
USA +2700
FIN +4300
GER +4300
KOR +5400

A hedge wagering both CAN and SWE returns 8/200 (4%) or 81/200 (41%) ... Surprised that CAN is so high? With the new directional sweeping and Hebert pounding the rock? I would have pegged opening line at +150.

Longshots on the board... KOR at 54-1, JPN 22-1 worth a look. DEN at 11-1 seems way to low?

OOM stats vs the online book odds.. This ain't a horse track with place or show payoffs. What teams are happy to just get a medal... and what teams have the stuff to think they can win the whole thing?

My opinion for value? I like RUS +1600 and SUI +651. My opinion Who wins? CAN.

03-29-16 06:02PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

I like Koe's chances -- but then I liked Carey's too.
So I obviously know nothing.

03-30-16 07:35AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

tidbits...

Sweden, skipped by Niklas Edin, won last year's championship in Halifax, Canada ...
They return as a complete unit, but face a daunting challenge knowing that no team has ever retained the title since Canada's Randy Ferby achieved it in 2003.

--------------------
This is the first men's event at which points to qualify for the 2018 Olympic Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea [Feb 9-25 2018] will be up for grabs.
The qualification process involves this championship and the 2017 Ford World Men's Championships in Edmonton, Canada [1-9 April 2017]

As hosts, Korea will qualify for Pyeongchang, as will the seven teams with the best qualifying points tally from 2016 and 2017.
The final two places on the Olympic line-up will be decided at a special WCF Olympic Qualification Event, to be held at the end of 2017.

03-31-16 11:50AM
GreatCanadian is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GreatCanadian Click here to Send GreatCanadian a Private Message Find more posts by GreatCanadian Add GreatCanadian to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GreatCanadian
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by maybo
I like Koe's chances -- but then I liked Carey's too.
So I obviously know nothing.

Can't fault you there. Your "likes" were/are perfectly legitimate. Parity has entered the curling world, and both Carey and Koe were/are quite capable of winning the worlds. Canada is still the best curling nation by far, but as far as the best team from 3, 4, or 5 countries, parity exists. Canada NOT winning gold is certainly a disappointment, but by no means a shock or surprise. Any of those top teams are capable. Just a matter of who "has it" come game time. Does anyone feel that Switzerland is the best female curling nation? Not me, but it's hard to argue their success over the past 5 years. Canada is the best female curling nation (meaning they have more top-level teams), but it's also fair to say that Switzerland has the best team in the world. Argue that if you may, but Binia has won her last 2 appearances, Switzerland has won the last 3 in a row, and 4 of the past 5. Quite impressive. So is it ok to say that Canada is the best curling nation in the world, while Switzerland has won 4 of the past 5 championships? I dunno. You tell me!!

GC

03-31-16 12:10PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Question Why claim anything

yes Switzerland has proven to be the best Women's World Champs.. since 2008
but Canadian Women have made the podium in Every Olympics so far..
Are on top of world wins with 15 Gold.. Sweden..8..Swiss..6

In Men's worlds.. no other country is close to Canada which has won 34 Gold ..
with only Sweden on the radar with 7 Gold

Proving who is the "best in the world".. can almost be any country these days...it isnt really clever for Canada to make any excessive claims...

Team Canada may win this worlds..
but in this year of upsets.. dont bet any money on it

03-31-16 12:21PM
GreatCanadian is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GreatCanadian Click here to Send GreatCanadian a Private Message Find more posts by GreatCanadian Add GreatCanadian to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GreatCanadian
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Why claim anything

No, I don't think I would bet the farm on it that's for sure!! But what are you referring to as an upset? Switzerland winning women's? Just wondering, as I wouldn't consider that an upset. Now if you are referring to Japan obliterating the rest of the field for silver, then I would agree that that could be considered an upset.

quote:

Team Canada may win this worlds..
but in this year of upsets.. dont bet any money on it

03-31-16 01:01PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Upsets

Mostly the Canadian scene.. Rachel Homan..Val Sweeting.. j Jones..

Worlds- Muirhead out ... Sweden women basically not showing up
but I called Binia Feltscher to win it all..

Japan grinding to a silver was very impressive..
sadly the skip succumbed to the pressure on her last shot..
but a great worlds.. and very good for Asian Curling..

Cant think of which Men's Team might "upset"..at Worlds..

03-31-16 01:06PM
GreatCanadian
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Upsets

Ok, now I get you. Couldn't agree more. And yes, I think the pressure finally got to the Japanese skip. Understandable I guess, but wow, what a solid team.

quote:
Mostly the Canadian scene.. Rachel Homan..Val Sweeting.. j Jones..

Worlds- Muirhead out ... Sweden women basically not showing up
but I called Binia Feltscher to win it all..

Japan grinding to a silver was very impressive..
sadly the skip succumbed to the pressure on her last shot..
but a great worlds.. and very good for Asian Curling..

Cant think of which Men's Team might "upset"..at Worlds..

04-01-16 06:44AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Canada Men due for Gold

The last time the world mens championship was contested at St. Jakobshalle in Basel, four years ago,
Canadas Glenn Howard captured Canadas leading 34th world title, beating Scotlands Tom Brewster 8-7 in an extra end in the final.

Since then, Canada has finished second (Brad Jacobs in 2013), fourth (Kevin Koe in 2014) and third (Pat Simmons last year).

Koe is back in Canadian colours for the 2016 renewal of the mens worlds, and hell be joined in Switzerland by his Calgary-based Tim Hortons Brier championship team of third Marc Kennedy, second Brent Laing, lead Ben Hebert, alternate Scott Pfeifer, team coach John Dunn and national coach Rick Lang.

All five Canadian players have world titles on their resume, but with different teams.

04-01-16 09:25AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

wow

BREAKING NEWS Team Canada got some bad news Friday morning before practice as both skip Kevin Koe and lead Ben Hebert remained at the hotel after coming down with flu-like symptoms after a fondue party on Thursday evening. They are under quarantine due to Swiss regulations, and won't be available to play until Sunday. Alternate Scott Pfeifer will replace Hebert at lead, while the World Curling Federation has granted permission for national coach, and two-time world champ 62-year-old Rick Lang to skip in Canada's opener Saturday against Finland. The team picture of the adjusted lineup was taken before practice on Friday - I just figured out is was APRIL FOOLS DUH!

04-02-16 01:08AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

My Predictions

Playoffs:

Canada
Norway
Sweden
USA

Scotland is my "dark horse" pick to make playoffs. Certainly capable, wouldn't be surprised to see them medal or win it all, but I just have a feeling they're going to fall short of the playoffs.

Gold

Sweden - Play pretty well on tour, but don't rack up a lot of event wins. Always seem to peak at the right time though, last season for Europeans & Worlds and this past fall at Europeans (struggled a bit early there but ended up coming out on top). I expect them to be in top form here, finishing first or second in the standings before going undefeated in the playoffs.

Silver

Canada - Definitely the favorite coming in. Really having a dynamite season & looking downright unbeatable at times. I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish first in the round-robin and win it all, but I think they'll just fall a bit short.

Bronze

USA - This same lineup just barely missed the playoffs last year. Came in second at USA Nationals against a red-hot Clark team, but overall consistently the best team in the US throughout the season. Having a better season than last year, including some more time on arena ice and at some bigger events. Experience of last year helps tremendously. Again (sound like a broken record here), they're certainly capable of winning it all, and I wouldn't rule it out, but I just don't see it happening.

Fourth

Norway - Probably not a popular pick to have them missing the podium. Altogether not too bad of a season, but like last year they've been playing a bit less. Like Edin though, this team really knows when and how to peak for the big events like this...for example, going undefeated in the round-robin at the Europeans back in November. A ton of experience and incredible amount of skill on this rink. As with the other four teams I mentioned (this is the last time, I promise) I would not be surprised to see them come out swinging, finish first or second in the standings, and end up winning it all. That being said, I do think their reduced schedule is finally going to catch up with them and they'll end up falling short of a medal.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

Last edited by Phil_D on 04-02-16 at 01:13AM

04-02-16 08:41AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Our canada games will be televised and no doubt other countries will do the same. Can we livestream any of these other games perhaps?

04-02-16 09:21AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

LIVE streaming- Draw 1

GER-SUI-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pv_qYxOIAg

04-02-16 01:02PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Any reason CZ is not posting scores from worlds?

04-02-16 01:05PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Whats the story with the Russians going home???

04-02-16 01:34PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Guido, had this been the "Good Old days", it might have been a defection, but maybe they had a sample of Team Canada's "Bad Fondue".

04-02-16 01:37PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

LOL, that was bad fondue. Quick recovery though. I don`t believe for a moment that the whole team got sick.

04-02-16 02:11PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

ya think?

04-02-16 03:09PM
kwojtalik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kwojtalik Click here to Send kwojtalik a Private Message Find more posts by kwojtalik Add kwojtalik to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kwojtalik
Hitting Paint

I can't watch Canada v Finland.....can't stand listening to Russ Howard blather on about Koe makes me want to puke.