M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: SF -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 1:00pm ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
SWE (Wranaa) (EE)
GER (Kapp) Final
USA (Farbelow) 10  (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-25-15 09:04PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i think what we need to remember about cici is that this is just her first senior event since 2010 as a skip. she kind of burst on to the scene , no one expected her to do so well in that debut either.

she will get better with time. what has always been her weakness though is her inability to maintain a lead. she quite lets opponents back in. you would have though that, curling with anette she would have picked up that part of strategy because anette was one of the best front runners at her peak. once she got a lead it was very hard to catch up.

but remember she is also still very young. she's only now getting back to the spotlight. she's had a good season but doing well on the tour is different than competing for your country on arena ice.

she , hasselborg and wrana are 3 very promising swedish youngsters and unlike years past when one team dominated i dont see that happening here. i think these 3 teams are going to be battling at the top of sweden's womens curling for a long time to come.

in my view hasselborg probably has the highest upside and will probably accomplish more in her career but that doesnt mean cici and isabella cant do good things as well.will any of them be the next anette norberg? well no, in my oppinion she was the greatest curler of all time(not trying to start a debate, just stating what i think) so i doubt any will reach her hights. but sweden is in good hands, they just need time and to learn. Within the next couple years i believe they will competing with the best

Last edited by misty1 on 11-25-15 at 09:08PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-25-15 09:34PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Legend..had the same thought

Sweden have along history of strong curlers..
they will figure this one out.. I had wondered if they could find a skip for Cissi to team with..
but what does SHE really want?

Sidorova was so determined that she actually forced Russia to make her the top skip and she has come thru...
A great skip has to have the huge balance between calm control and curling strategy and that inner drive to beat everyone...

I saw how Cissi was really upset ( for a Swede that was different lol).. so maybe she just needs better Training.. she was third under one of the best in history but doesnt seem to have found her own groove yet..

Last edited by HotRocks on 11-25-15 at 09:36PM

11-26-15 01:09AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

On the women's side, I think Russia-Scotland would be, by far, the best matchup for the final, so that's what I'm hoping for. Having said that, I would like it if Denmark got a medal as well. They've had a few too many fourths and it would be nice for them to get one at home.

The new/old playoff format merits some discussion. On the one hand, it does add some excitement to these semi-finals as there is no second chance game. It also makes the bronze medal game make sense again.

On the other hand, it basically makes everyone in the semifinal equal again, aside from hammer in the first end. It will be unfortunate for Norway if they have their first stinker in the semis.

I'm not sure where I stand exactly. The page playoff has always been a bit silly for tournaments with one division (it makes a lot of sense for two division tournaments). The format of four plays three, winner plays two, and winner plays one in the final makes more sense. However, I think the Brier and Scotties like having the extra playoff game the Page system provides.

I think there is some appetite to change the Worlds back to the semifinal format being used here, but I don't think Canadian teams like this idea at all. Thoughts anyone?

11-26-15 02:39AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by peteski
On the women's side, I think Russia-Scotland would be, by far, the best matchup for the final, so that's what I'm hoping for. Having said that, I would like it if Denmark got a medal as well. They've had a few too many fourths and it would be nice for them to get one at home.

The new/old playoff format merits some discussion. On the one hand, it does add some excitement to these semi-finals as there is no second chance game. It also makes the bronze medal game make sense again.

On the other hand, it basically makes everyone in the semifinal equal again, aside from hammer in the first end. It will be unfortunate for Norway if they have their first stinker in the semis.

I'm not sure where I stand exactly. The page playoff has always been a bit silly for tournaments with one division (it makes a lot of sense for two division tournaments). The format of four plays three, winner plays two, and winner plays one in the final makes more sense. However, I think the Brier and Scotties like having the extra playoff game the Page system provides.

I think there is some appetite to change the Worlds back to the semifinal format being used here, but I don't think Canadian teams like this idea at all. Thoughts anyone?

I have mixed feelings about the playoff system as well.

I don't know which system I prefer. I like the simplicity of this system, and the added weight to the games. On the other hand I like the second-chance nature of the page system.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

11-26-15 03:09AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Regarding Ostlund, like I said before this is their first major event like this as a team and her first as a skip. As a squad they've only been together a few years (as a whole). It doesn't happen overnight and everybody has to start somewhere.

All in all, a fifth place finish is pretty respectable. Especially for their first outing. Yes, they could and should have won that game against Russia. It happens. Overall they were up and down all week and struggled with consistency. It's all a learning experience though and they have a lot of positives to draw upon. You also have to learn how to lose to know how to win. Again, they finished in fifth...it's not like they were relegated.

As for the age thing, no doubt it's skewing younger and top teams/skips are coming into their own younger and younger (especially in the women's game). That being said, this is still a young team, and if they stay together they have a long career ahead of them. Look at it this way...the third Winter Olympics from now (2026) most (if not all) of this team will still be under 40.

As it stands right now though, Ostlund's team is the best Sweden has to offer...and I don't think that's a bad thing at all. I hope to see them back representing Sweden in Swift Current come March. Will they win it all? Not likely. Could they qualify and/or medal? Maybe.

For Sweden (at least for the women) I agree in that I definitely see a situation similar to Switzerland emerging...several teams battling it out for the right to represent their country at these events.

11-26-15 04:30AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Cissi Ostlund ..Playing in Canada

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Probably needs to curl in Canada (for a top seasoned skip) for at least one curling year. (obviously someone who's qualified for most big events and cash spiels). She'd learn lots under the tutelage of folks like Val Sweeting, Maryanne Arsenault, Kris McCarville, even a super vet like Shannon Kliebrink or Heather Nedohin.

Trouble is.. she already has done that.. and when you look at her history she won a world silver as a junior ( 20 yrs old).. joined the Norberg Team for the 2010-11 season..
She hasnt really excelled at any events.. if you check the World Curling link at

http://www.worldcurl.com/player.php...217&view=Events

Your heroine, Jones, never won a STOH ( thanks Cathy O) until she was 31... and look at her strong record..

11-26-15 08:07AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

team smith have really turned it around ,great job by them. backs against the wall and they have really woken up and showed why some, including me thought they could contend for a medal here.

sweden meanwhile, as defending champs are facing elimination in a tiebreaker. winner of scotland v.s sweden gets norway in the semis. switzerland will play finland in the 2 v.s 3 game.

czech republic meanwhile play italy to see who finishes 8th and 9th. This would be a massive blow to italy if they got relegated just 1 year after finishing 4th. it would also be a huge blow for czech republic who have been a staple at the world championship and in A group since 2008

netherlands get relegated..cant say im surprised. this is a good young team but i called them, dropping back.

qualified for worlds:

norway
sweden
switzerland
finland
germany
scotland
russia

B division denmark and austria for the men and latvia and czech republic for the women have made the semifinals

Last edited by misty1 on 11-26-15 at 08:10AM

11-26-15 08:24AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Team Scotland

Trial by Fire sometimes forces new teams to push their game up a notch
Kyle Smith and Eve's Bro Muirhead.. are up against it at Noon ET if Edin has a good game..

These Euros ( IMO ) , have really revealed a lot of up coming curling talent in both the Men and Women Teams..

11-26-15 10:22AM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
The thing I noticed about most of the Euros (the ones shown on TV) is that the vast majority throw a tremendous rock. Even Ostlund cannot be faulted - her throwing is much like Emma Miskew (without the high percentages).

Don't know if Ana Sidorova's near stand-up style will ever be emulated but it probably saves young ana a ton of wear and tear on her back and knees.

Indeed.

Interestingly enough, from what I understand her unique delivery comes from her background as a figure skater...which was her sport of choice until a knee injury sometime in her preteen/early teen years.

11-26-15 01:12PM
il1960 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for il1960 Click here to Send il1960 a Private Message Find more posts by il1960 Add il1960 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
il1960
Harvey Hacksmasher

As many have said on this forum, you can't write off any team based on results in one tournament. Norberg is regarded as one of the greatest curlers but she didn't win the worlds untill her 7:th entry. On her 6:th and 9:th entry she finnished 6:th. She did better at the euros, winning on her 3:d entry but on her 6:th, 7:th and 15:th she finnished 5:th.

Some thoughts about Paetz: they haven't had a good tournament but I remember that Edin finished 6:th the year after they won the euros. The stress of suddenly being in the spotlight, and perhaps seen as the team everyone wants to beat can be part of the explanation to their weak result.

About Scotland vs Sweden: I wonder what Viktor was feeling, up against two of his former teammates, Fredrik as coach and Niklas still playing. Actually, you could say 3 teammates, as Oscar was always their alternate in euros, worlds and olympiccs

11-26-15 01:24PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

LIVE Streams

. Womens ..SF.... RUS-DEN...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJaa3LkqtzU

11-26-15 01:57PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

SCOTLAND in trouble

3 steals in a row by FINland

Eve Muirhead is Down 0-5.. after 3 ends..

11-26-15 03:54PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

italy stays in A . czech republic goes down to B with netherlands. i expect they will get back rather quickly

the final everyone predicted once the final 4 were set. would have been nice if there was one unexpected finalist

11-26-15 04:25PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

italy and czech republic playing in the B side final on the ladies side and will be promoted up to the A division next year. no surprise there. as much as i predicted this it would have been nice to see someone else coming through

11-26-15 04:38PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

good Teams

Women- pleased to see both Italy and CZE (7-2 RR each) move up from B to A...

11-26-15 05:06PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

on the mens side israel and latvia advane to the semifinals to take on denmark and austria. I expect that denmark and austria will gfet through

11-26-15 06:15PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

interesting wanderings

Im only going to comment on the Euro Teams so there isnt a Turf war again on here..

I think Eve and her front end are slightly better than Sidorova's team.. I could be wrong

That game where Muirhead had 3 ends stolen at the get go.. wasnt streamed so dont know what the ..happened.. but the fact that Eve fought her way back to a win shows her toughness.. she is without a doubt the second fiercest Woman curler..

by the way Jones is 41..

11-26-15 08:12PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I would give eve the edge at every position except for third actually.

lead - sarah is the better lead for sure. if anna had galkina then i would give the edge to her but ekaterian is taking time off and sarah is stronger.

second - edge to vicki adams and its not even close. she is one of the best seconds in the world. raeva is solid but not in the same league as adams

third - this edge goes to fomina. she has evolved into a great third and i do think that a lot of the time eve gets into trouble is because of anna sloan.

skip - this is very tight. both are fearless, both have incredible shot making ability and both are very good st strategy. eve does have a tendancy to go for hero shots more often but sidorova does have more lapses in general. I give the slight edge to eve here.

Last edited by misty1 on 11-26-15 at 08:24PM

11-26-15 08:29PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: interesting wanderings

quote:

You might be right about Eve's front end being slightly better than Ana's - for sure they play with a bit more emotion - and as long as Ezekiah is on the front then Scotland has the advantage. I think Eve is the best big game hunter in the biz but Ana is a bit steadier during the course of a match. I'm so glad we agree Fomina is usually better than Sloan.

Yes, Jones is 41, 42 next July. Her best before date rapidly approaches and there are now a startingly few number of quality skips over 40 in womens curling.

Jones - 41
Middaugh - 48 (question of whether she's really competitive)
Nedohin - 40 (semi-retired)
Scott - 40 (semi-inactive other than BC playdowns and STOH)
Coco Jones - 58 (essentially a ceremonial curler now)
Sherry Anderson - 53 (trailing off after leaving Lawton)
Barb Spencer - 50 (former Manitoba champion, still a hard out in any events where there's no Top 10 womens teams)
Shannon Kleibrink - 47 (still lots of fans but she's no longer making those shots which were routine 10 years ago)
Cheryl Bernard - 48 (semi-retired from active duty)

In Europe the only ones I can think of:

Andrea Schopp - 55+ (Angry Andrea still thrashing out there, not really a serious contender)
Annette Norberg - 50+ (has passed the mantle to Ostlund)
Mirjam Ott - late 40s (semi-retired)

I would put it to you the only plus 40 women skips who can still occasionally play like the dickens are JJ & the semi-retired Heather Nedohin.

just a note: mirjam ott is fully retired . she does coach but she doesnt play anymore

and i would definitely say sherry is still competitive. she's made the QF of 2 grand slams this year and that beat down she gave rachel at the olympic trials was magic. she doesnt get to that level often anymore but she's the 2nd ranked skip over 40 in the world so she's still doing pretty good.

Last edited by misty1 on 11-26-15 at 08:46PM

11-26-15 08:42PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: interesting wanderings

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

just a note: mirjam ott is fully retired . she does coach but she doesnt play anymore

and i would definitely say sherry is still competitive. she's made the QF of 2 grand slams this year and that beat down she gave rachel at the olympic trials was magic. she doesnt get to that level often anymore but she's the top ranked skip over 40 in the world so she's still doing pretty good.

And Sherry's team is one of the 7 teams that qualified for the Canada Cup so they are still competitive. Now I don't think she is by any means the favorite but in one event you never know...

11-26-15 08:56PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Wink Re: Re: Re: Re: interesting wanderings

quote:
Originally posted by prairie guy

And Sherry's team is one of the 7 teams that qualified for the Canada Cup so they are still competitive. Now I don't think she is by any means the favorite but in one event you never know...

And any future post of mine on this thread will stick to Euro curling.

11-26-15 09:27PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Back to the Future of Curling

There are very few curlers who can really play at the Top level as they get into the age 40 plus area.. except some Men... who dont seem to have that problem.. why is that?

We can discuss the Canadian scene next week during the Canada Cup

For Europe.. the scene is growing rapidly.. Cant believe all the "new" names and the Young Teams that are suddenly a true threat to the "old guard"...
Kyle Smith, De Cruz, Sven Michel...Edin top of the world etc

By the way.. is anyone doubting that Scotland has the right idea with professional.. Teams..

11-27-15 02:56AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

The World Curling Youtube page says they'll be showing the Finland-Switzerland game instead of the Norway-Sweden game. I hope somehow they change their mind.

11-27-15 06:00AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Re: good Teams

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
Women- pleased to see both Italy and CZE (7-2 RR each) move up from B to A...

I met the Czech Women's team about 18 months ago on their way to the World Championships in New Brunswick. All the girls were extremely nice, as was their coach, with whom I still correspond.
Pulling for them to get their revenge on the Italians today, and then hopefully win the 'World Challenge', as well, to get back to the Worlds in 2016.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

11-27-15 07:51AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

on the mens side denmark and austria move up to A. its the final i thought would happen. do the austrians have a shot at winning? well, i suppose technically yes

as for the A side. i really hope norway wins the semi final. man would it suck for them to lose here

pulling for switzerland in the other semi. i applaud wcf for showing their game. we dont always need to see edin/ulsrud

Last edited by misty1 on 11-27-15 at 07:54AM