M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: SF -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 1:00pm ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
SWE (Wranaa) (EE)
GER (Kapp) Final
USA (Farbelow) 10  (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 20+ Top-Level Teams Sign Broom Agreement

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-01-15 11:17AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Our Take

We, at NerdCurl, offer our take on the BroomHaHa(stop calling it broomgate):

http://www.nerdcurl.com/2015/10/31/...ream-interview/

With all the back-and-forth and what not, instead of re-hashing what's already been said we threw any semblance of seriousness out of the window and satirized the issue.

IF you like bad Peter Lorre impressions, you're going to love this.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-02-15 12:24PM
Hot shot tony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hot shot tony Click here to Send Hot shot tony a Private Message Find more posts by Hot shot tony Add Hot shot tony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hot shot tony
Harvey Hacksmasher

This whole curling hullabaloo made the Washington Post!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...er-a-new-broom/

11-03-15 05:46PM
brycejmcewen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brycejmcewen Click here to Send brycejmcewen a Private Message Find more posts by brycejmcewen Add brycejmcewen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brycejmcewen
Swing Artist

http://www.curlingzone.com/talk/?p=217

Long story short, it's more about how you're sweeping than what you're sweeping with.

11-03-15 05:47PM
jcullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jcullen Click here to Send jcullen a Private Message Find more posts by jcullen Add jcullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jcullen
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
i appreciate a real curler posting .... i dont really blame the manufacturers ... most of my concern is cca aka curl canada not controlling the situation ...

they seem to encourage the development of superior product to enhance a select few Canadian teams - not fair to other Canadian or visiting teams...

none of my business but curious how broom sponsorship works?

im guessing they ship a team 12 free brooms and 48 covers at the beginning of the season ... do they then ship a doz to each major event ?

would a top 10 team ( the teams that always seem to get to the playoff round )earn. $25,000 a year per team ?

im guessing top 10 -20 teams would get free brooms. and $5000 to sign a contract ?

if someone knows but is shy. private im me and ill post answers by edit ..

also curious if cc competitive coaches supply written literature re sweeping techniques etc etc to the top 4 teams that is unavailable to the great unwashed.

As I said earlier in this thread(or maybe it was one of the other three about this same topic), sponsorship deals vary from team to team and company to company.

Some are product-only, some are product + cash, others involve side marketing deals(appearance fees, "face of the product"-type stuff), and others still involve actual positions in the company, as most of the top companies will have at least one top curler working as a sales rep. Many deals will also have performance-based incentives, as is common in these types of deals across sport.

I can also tell you that no team will reveal their deal. Haha.

11-03-15 07:06PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by brycejmcewen
http://www.curlingzone.com/talk/?p=217

Long story short, it's more about how you're sweeping than what you're sweeping with.

Part of what we are seeing--for example, teams being concerned that the inverted IcePad is somehow still more effective than more traditional products--is rooted in lack of knowledge.

The current state of affairs is like this. there are essentially two classes of brushing materials out there now: woven fiber materials (variations of coated and uncoated Cordura nylon); and artificially textured brushing surfaces where a nylon fabric has been either heat pressed or coated and imprinted with a waffle-pattern. The artificially textured materials are likely able to efficiently deposit guide scratches on the ice, much more so than woven fiber fabrics which are randomly oriented and have much more ice contact area compared to the waffle-patterned surfaces. The way some teams have deployed sweepers is quite consistent with the view, as are the videos of how stones can be unnaturally manipulated by angled sweeping techniques (e.g. blackhead brush head).

Currently, there are three commercially available brushing materials that have artificially textured sweeping surfaces (i.e., which of these is not like the others): Hardline IcePad, Balance Plus EQ+, and Olson Glacier. All verified by micrographic analysis. These products vary a bit in design, shape, and depth of pattern, but all are imprinted with a waffle pattern on the brushing surface. The backside of an IcePad is just ordinary uncoated nylon basketweave cloth. Nothing to be alarmed about. I'm not sure I would want to use it that way, frankly, as it is not very waterproof.

Cheers.

11-03-15 08:19PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
some teams buy material at the large material outlets - just ask for curling sweeping material

Yes. The point is that the concerns are really not about any particular manufacturer, but rather the types of materials being used. I strongly suspect that the purposing of the artificially textured materials was well-intended (it's actually a very clever way of waterproofing) but had unintended and unforeseen consequences. The extent of those consequences is yet to be determined, but I'm confident (glass half-full kinda guy) that with sufficient facts an acceptable path forward will be found to ensure the integrity and popularity of the sport.

Cheers.

11-06-15 02:01PM
Rolltherock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolltherock Click here to Send Rolltherock a Private Message Find more posts by Rolltherock Add Rolltherock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolltherock
Knee-Slider

So what does this mean? Which heads in particular are out?

11-06-15 02:22PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Rolltherock

Agree.

It's understandable that the WCF chose to take this step. However, they should be naming the brooms and manufacturers in question so players are aware they could have equipment not in compliance. You cannot reasonably expect anyone to know if the material on their broom is sealed, patterned, plasticized etc.

11-06-15 02:33PM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Q

quote:
Originally posted by Rolltherock

Link to policy.

My understanding of the fabric materials is that the Hardline IcePad, Balance Plus EQ+, or Olson Glacier in their current forms would be among the commercially available products affected by this policy. (There may be others, but I have seen these in person either in my curling bag, on the brooms of club members, or off the retail shelf.) All three of these products have textured coatings (with diamond-shaped wales or ridges) on their brushing surfaces. Home-made synthetic brush heads will be prohibited by this policy, regardless of fabric used.

Other brushing materials that are based on Cordura nylon or similar fabrics and would be acceptable the way the policy is written.

That's the way it reads to me, anyways.

Last edited by RockDoc on 11-06-15 at 03:16PM

11-06-15 02:57PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: Q

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc

Link to policy.

My understanding of the fabric materials is that the Hardline IcePad, Balance Plus EQ+, or Olson Glacier in their current forms would be the commercially available products affected by this policy. All three of these products have textured coatings (with diamond-shaped wales or ridges) on their brushing surfaces. Home-made synthetic brush heads will be prohibited by this policy, regardless of fabric used.

Other brushing materials are based on Cordura nylon or similar fabrics and would be acceptable the way the policy is written.

That's the way it reads to me, anyways.

link missing

11-06-15 03:10PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Link works. Just seems 'invisible'. Click on the words and it works.

11-06-15 10:22PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

I read the announcement. But it still falls to the WCF to show leadership, accountability and responsibility to name the products - because they are commercially available, off the shelf items any team can purchase.

The WCF is well aware of what products are involved and need to step up to the plate and list them. It's like telling athletes some drugs are banned but not which ones.

The only reason I can fathom for not naming the products is a legal one. Perhaps there's a manufacturer who is not buying into the hype and threatening to sue?

11-07-15 06:42PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

So, I have my old-ish woven fiber uncoated fabric broom which is hard to keep clean and certainly not waterproof and now I have to buy lots of new broom heads to play the best I can to be legal according to new WCF rules - that is if I play in any games remotely leading to a WCF event. Meanwhile, most curling around the world is growing just at (dirty) ice arenas where ice time costs limit curling growth.

Meanwhile, Canada's Western Ontario U and Sweden' s Uppsala U are still in a debate match over wet v. dry friction. And, still no sign of an independent lab anywhere to set curling broom head standard of any messureable kind?

Reading Maxwell's "Canada Curls" this week and loving the pages about the 1700's kerfluffles when some Scots introduced the "twist" delivery. I dare say that was a bigger debate than this broomhead biz. Who would want to curl today with no in and out turns?! Anyone?

All this makes me just want to buy the most illegal waffle, diamond, coated, whatever High Tech broom.... bring on the abrasives! It will reduce my broom head costs long term. If that Blackhead was on the open market, I'd buy it just for fun.

Last edited by Alice on 11-07-15 at 06:46PM

11-07-15 10:07PM
livem1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for livem1 Click here to Send livem1 a Private Message Find more posts by livem1 Add livem1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
livem1
Harvey Hacksmasher

I don't see why anyone would have an issue with the 'not naming of manufacturers''. How could you name manufacturers?

In the building profession, you have product specifications vs performance specs for materials. product, names an acceptable product and requires that any substitute must meet the same tech data and be reviewed. A performance spec lists the data and says any product must meet 'x' requirements.
....the WCF gave a performance spec.
That is the ONLY thing they could, or should, do.

My issue with the statement is that it reads actually like they did no 'testing' and needed to just get a ruling out there. One could've written that statement off of reading news stories about the beefs that players had and how the offending equipment is being dealt with now. 'Listening to players' could've been simply Glen Howard's remarks in the press to John Benton's teams 'testing' the IcePad recently to the players complaining to each other at the Masters (and how they let each other get around it). It really speaks nothing as to how wide a net they cast. Honestly, this reads like a high schooler's required essay that they crammed in the night before and put no time into it....and just cribbed a bunch of anecdotes off the internet.

If they got really 'detailed' in their research...they should've written it out a bit better. If they really did detailed 'analysis of various brush head fabrics'...then I'm guessing they would've already seen if any material was pushing the envelope of the acceptable physics of the game....and not just 'banned' some for this one event.

Anyway, they have the Euros in 2 weeks and I think this is just buying them time to maybe get some real work done (I hope). They're pretty lucky that Pac-Asia is first up...because of all the member governing bodies, they are the ones with the least clout.

I got an 'eq' as a gift....and I'm more that happy to put that aside until this gets sorted out.

p.s. basic head cleaning after league nights and rotating through a few is not really hard work. Personally, I'm lazy about doing it and I'm assuming most people don't want to (or know how). I spend far more time during the day doing things I probably don't need to....than the 2-3 min's it takes to properly clean a traditional cordura head.

Last edited by livem1 on 11-07-15 at 10:10PM

11-07-15 10:13PM
MacCoach is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MacCoach Click here to Send MacCoach a Private Message Find more posts by MacCoach Add MacCoach to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MacCoach
Harvey Hacksmasher

WCF - CCA-OCA ramifications

So the WCF has made a quasi decision. What is the CCA-OCA take on this? Which brooms can or cannot be used in OCA Playdowns?

11-08-15 08:56AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Re: WCF - CCA-OCA ramifications

quote:
Originally posted by MacCoach
So the WCF has made a quasi decision. What is the CCA-OCA take on this? Which brooms can or cannot be used in OCA Playdowns?

Seems the CCA has adopted the same position for the Mixed Championship starting today.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

11-08-15 12:16PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Don't see any official mention of this on the CCA website or the mixed site.

Here's hoping they at least name the products and not keep curlers in the dark the way the WCF has.

And livem1, this isn't the construction industry. Your analogy doesn't work here. This is like saying; 'some painkillers violate the doping rules but we're not going to tell you which ones they are'

You don't withhold that kind of information from your athletes. Unless you have an ulterior motive.

Last edited by jamcan on 11-08-15 at 12:21PM

11-08-15 01:44PM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Doesn't the rule have to be written to address the materials used? New products can be released, so writing a rule to address specific products would be futile.

11-08-15 02:08PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc
Doesn't the rule have to be written to address the materials used? New products can be released, so writing a rule to address specific products would be futile.

Certainly. Materials and specs have to be specified.

I do think they could have provided examples to illustrate what is/isn't off the shelf acceptable at this time though. I assume in the future there will be an approved equipment list.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

11-08-15 11:08PM
livem1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for livem1 Click here to Send livem1 a Private Message Find more posts by livem1 Add livem1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
livem1
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan
Don't see any official mention of this on the CCA website or the mixed site.

Here's hoping they at least name the products and not keep curlers in the dark the way the WCF has.

And livem1, this isn't the construction industry. Your analogy doesn't work here. This is like saying; 'some painkillers violate the doping rules but we're not going to tell you which ones they are'

You don't withhold that kind of information from your athletes. Unless you have an ulterior motive.

I'm really not sure what your angle is here.

Analogy absolutely works here....it's woven fabric (e.g. cordura) vs. one that is sealed, embossed, patterned, etc.. . It doesn't matter who the manufacturer is. Since there are no regulations now and any player can even wrap their own heads.....you can ONLY 'describe' the material not to be used. For cycling, baseball, olympic sports, etc....they aren't going to name drug and steroid 'brands' and names of labs, right?

For the time being (until the curling governing bodies identify how to spec a range of 'acceptable' fabrics) they have to say what is NOT acceptable fabric-wise. They are putting some responsibility on the players to 'make sure' they are conforming...so what? They are the ones that have to be. You're kinda' acting like these players and their respective coaches/associations aren't smart enough to know this stuff by now. Not rocket science. Outside of the 'delivery device' they have shoes and a broom. I think they have the bandwidth to wrap their heads around this stuff.

11-09-15 12:10AM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

And...you're wrong.

Brand names are stated in doping as well as the type of drug. Every effort is made so athletes don't take the drug by accident -although that does still happen.

Not every team has a microscope or understands what the 'wov en, sealed fabric' looks like.

And why would you turn this back on the curlers to know all this? A governing body has the duty to be clear and concise. There is absolutely nothing out of line eith expecting them to name the equipment using the materials in question so teams can comply.

I'm not using an angle, as you imply, I'm calling for simple common sense to prevail. The WCF claims they've looked at products and decided to ban them until proper research can be done. Fine, Cool. What products are they?

11-09-15 03:44PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by livem1

you can ONLY 'describe' the material not to be used. For cycling, baseball, olympic sports, etc....they aren't going to name drug and steroid 'brands' and names of labs, right

As stated by jamcam, you are wrong. Athletes can verify if each medication / supplement they are taking is specifically accepted in their respective sport. Here is the link : www.globaldro.com . Every participant to a National championship is given that link the day they qualify for it. If ever one medication or supplement is not on the list, someone at the CCA is mandated to communicate with WADA.

The same goes for brooms. The WCT will have to state SPECIFICALLY which brooms are not legal and why that is so. If they fail to do that (like they have for now with their politically correct statement), the witch-hunt, accusations and bullying by non Hardline sponsored teams will just keep going on.

11-09-15 05:27PM
slider1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for slider1 Click here to Send slider1 a Private Message Find more posts by slider1 Add slider1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slider1
Harvey Hacksmasher

Its not a matter of naming brooms and having them banned but a matter of being specific about fabric and extras like plastic plates that should be banned as well as a change in the sweeping rule. There are homemade heads being used at various levels so unless each head/broom is inspected who knows what people are playing with. Its too simplistic to just ban a certain broom manufacturer or to have them turn the fabric inside out. More to it than that.

11-09-15 05:38PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Is the rule distinction truly just any woven fabric or corn broom versus any sealed and/or embossed patterned surface? Would a fabric made of sealed fibers woven into a a very dense directional fabric be OK? Could I take a corn broom, dip in latex or varnish, let it dry and then use it? Or how about a knitted fabric as on some old rink rats because "knitted" is not "woven"? Think of all those Irish sweaters with cables and bobbles. A machine could easily knit a "directional" fabric with water repellant yarn. Just add some extra sheep oil (lanolin) to unwashed raw wool. Whoot! The ice would smelll of a barnyard.

11-09-15 05:45PM
WarrMachine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WarrMachine Click here to Send WarrMachine a Private Message Find more posts by WarrMachine Add WarrMachine to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WarrMachine
Harvey Hacksmasher

Alice,

The WCF communication also says no homemade or custom broom heads, must be available for purchase from a curling supplier.

Dion.

Last edited by WarrMachine on 11-10-15 at 09:43AM