M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: SF -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 1:00pm ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
SWE (Wranaa) (EE)
GER (Kapp) Final
USA (Farbelow) 10  (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 11 of 13 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-19-15 05:31PM
CURLING NUTS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLING NUTS Click here to Send CURLING NUTS a Private Message Visit CURLING NUTS's homepage! Find more posts by CURLING NUTS Add CURLING NUTS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLING NUTS
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry
From what I'm hearing there doesn't seem to be much of a push from the WCF side to go to 8 ends and that's ok too. There's nothing wrong with doing 10 ends in Provincials, Brier, Scotties, etc.

All I'm suggesting is that we consider 8 ends for early qualification events where the facilities aren't designed to hold up for 12-14 ends. (2-3 ends of practice, 10 ends of game plus possible extra end).

I agree. There is no ice maker alive who can make ice for 12 ends that will hold up without considerable fudging. That is basically what he is asked to provide, when you factor in the practice allowed before each draw. Not to mention extra ends as well. 8 ends is plenty.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-19-15 07:02PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Just a thought, why do we need 3 announcers for curling. Every other sport seems to have 2. Do we really need to replace Linda now? Wondering if they should be looking for a more long term replacement for Vic and go with 2 once he retires?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 67.70.46.138

01-19-15 08:42PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Just a thought, why do we need 3 announcers for curling. Every other sport seems to have 2. Do we really need to replace Linda now? Wondering if they should be looking for a more long term replacement for Vic and go with 2 once he retires?

Only other sport that I know using 3 commentators is Australia t20 cricket.

01-19-15 10:49PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:

Lots of sporting events use the three-person booth. Sunday Night Baseball, Monday Night Football recently went back to a 2-man booth after using three for a while. The NBA Finals also uses a 3-man booth as well as the NCAA Final Four in the past.

A real interesting example of the 3-man booth was MASN (carries both Orioles and Nationals baseball games) and when they played interleague games they brought announcers from both teams together. The World Series even saw the use of the 3-man booth this past season.

It works well for curling as well, in a game with so many strategy discussions. You have the professional host and two analysts who can bring different points of view and play off each other.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

01-20-15 08:47AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

I really like the three manned booth. I also think that Cheryl is doing an excellent job. One thing she doesn't do is constantly try to one up the other commentators with knowledge. Also, she doesn't laugh and giggle like a ten year old schoolgirl. I hope TSN retains Cheryl in the three manned booth situation. She's doing an excellent job.

01-20-15 08:57AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by albetts
I really like the three manned booth. I also think that Cheryl is doing an excellent job. One thing she doesn't do is constantly try to one up the other commentators with knowledge. Also, she doesn't laugh and giggle like a ten year old schoolgirl. I hope TSN retains Cheryl in the three manned booth situation. She's doing an excellent job.

agree. i love cheryl. and i honestly dont care if curling is one of the few sports to use 3 commentators i like that set up.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

01-20-15 09:34AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by jaypek
However...the road to a National championship should be paved with similar scenarios and experiences. The purpose of playing in a Provincial event is to prepare the ultimate winner for the next level...including the same game parameters and conditions. It follows that to prepare teams for the Provincial championship they should have like experiences and game rules at the zones and regionals! A ten-end game is a whole different kind of animal from an eight ender!

Similar scenarios?
Zones and regions are played on club ice. Then the winners go off and curl on fantasy ice with fantasy rocks at the next levels.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 204.187.76.252

01-20-15 09:58AM
Borough Boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Borough Boy Click here to Send Borough Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Borough Boy Add Borough Boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Really?

I have been reading at length the comments regarding ice, rocks etc and I finally had to chime in. I've played in both Ontario and Manitoba at a high level.

Let me remind those in Ontario how good you have it. The last 4 berths into Manitoba are being given through the good old, MCA Bonspiel, now called the Manitoba Open. Now it's tamed down from previous years,only 256 teams for those 4 spots. Now granted, there are some club teams etc but here is what you deal with outside of that. You also have to deal with prior qualified teams going in with the potential of knocking out unqualified teams, sort of like allowing Epping, Kean etc the free chance to come in and take out Middaugh, Howard with absolutely nothing to lose.

You move from club to club, with no idea what you are facing, you are playing with unknown rocks and you have no practice time before each game. Top that off with a draw that could be slanted in such a way that you need to go through quality team after quality team and wow, who wouldn't want to try and qualify!!

I remember playing a number of years ago, there was dripping all over the ice and the first draw was 17 seconds and moved to a speedy 21 by games end, with ice falling to the boards one way. Every curler in Manitoba has 2 dozen stories like this, its been a crapshoot as long as there has been ice.

So, would I take consistent ice that didn't curl much, have time to practice before the event (if you choose) and before your game on each sheet and sign me up.

Jus thought I would throw out another perspective on each province's challenges. You are not alone in your challenges IMHO

Last edited by Borough Boy on 01-20-15 at 10:04AM

01-20-15 10:47AM
Unregistered

No, Ontario is far from alone.
This past weekend, at the Saskatchewan Southerns (level leading to provincials), 3 of the 4 sheets played on had dramatic falls (>1' negative ice needed on the one turn). The speed also varied extremely from path to path. Add to this, it was warm outside, which led to the temperature warming up in the rink, and games also seeing a number of picks.
Unlike Ontario where teams who fail to make it out of their region can still take the Challenge route to provincials, in SK, the teams are done if they get eliminated along the road.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.3.133.92

01-23-15 11:40AM
Unregistered

Frankly 8 end games with the 5-rock rule should be the norm for everything - zones to worlds. The ice will hold up better, game should be slightly more aggressive and it plays better into our modern day, busier lifestyle.

Hell, a few of the clubs in my area are switching to 6-end games for the social/rec leagues to accommodate for everyone's busy lifestyle. Look at golf - many studies are saying that in 5 years the 12-hole golf course will reign supreme. I think once it's switched, we'll look back on 10 end games and laugh about how long curling games used to be much like we do for the old 12 and 14 end games.

In regards to poor ice conditions: Wouldn't the simplest solution simply be to only hold the events at clubs with confirmed good ice conditions? I've got to think that any club curler can quickly list off the top of their head which clubs have good ice in their area, and which have bad ice. Have the OCA pay the "good ice" club some sort of rental fee (and of course the natural increase in food and beverage sales) and just be done with it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.251.33.18

02-02-15 09:46AM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Our first day schedule is decided:

2pm: Team Kean vs Team Dow
7pm: Team Squires vs Team Balsdon

Join us for the games from the 2015 Tankard here: https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/50

Note that RogersTV also has extensive coverage this week.

02-02-15 11:02AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Question ???

Is Glen Howard team in the provincial playdowns to go to Briar

seems to be two tankards. recharge with Milk tankard. and ontario tankard

whats the diff... thx

Glenn Howard lost out in Regions and Challenge Round so did not qualify. The events mentioned are the same thing, Dairy Farmers of Ontario are the title sponsor this year.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

02-02-15 11:06AM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Your confusion is natural: Ontario has three events named 'Tankard'. The one you care about is the "Recharge with Milk Tankard - Ontario Men's Curling Championship", running all this week. Pretty much any discussion of 'Tankard' in Ontario refers to this event: an 11 team playdown to decide our brier representative.

Glenn Howard was eliminated. His son Scott is playing for Team Kean and still has a shot at the brier.

The other two tankards are amateur events, 'Silver Tankard' and 'Women's Tankard': both are 8 players-per-team events contested inside the province. Tons of fun, but no one talks about them outside the event.

02-02-15 03:24PM
Unregistered

wayne middaugh

What happen to Wayne Middaugh? I though he was skipping the Corner rink?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 156.34.200.98

02-02-15 03:50PM
Unregistered

Re: wayne middaugh

quote:
What happen to Wayne Middaugh? I though he was skipping the Corner rink?

Pretty sure they are a 5 man team, not sure what the lineup is though?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.89.87.146

02-02-15 05:19PM
Runback is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Runback Click here to Send Runback a Private Message Find more posts by Runback Add Runback to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Runback
Harvey Hacksmasher

Middaugh went to the Super Bowl. He'll be back in lineup when he's back.

02-02-15 09:14PM
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

We do not currently have a geek lined up for the 2pm Tuesday draw. If you'll be in Ingersoll tomorrow and want to give it a try, send me a note at geek@curlinggeek.com

You'll need either a laptop or an iPad.

02-03-15 05:02PM
Unregistered

Will Middaugh be in the lineup later this week?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.72.137.113

02-04-15 09:06AM
scorer79 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scorer79 Click here to Send scorer79 a Private Message Find more posts by scorer79 Add scorer79 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scorer79
Harvey Hacksmasher

Wow! Kean looking like a giant so far. Could we see one of Epping or Balsdon miss out on the playoffs???

02-04-15 09:21PM
Unregistered

Thank goodness the curling is good because the commentary is dreadfully boring. Compared to the Scotties play by play commentary last week in Penetanguishene, The Tankard is the cure for insomnia.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.251.152.169

02-04-15 11:15PM
Radio-Man

quote:
Originally posted by scorer79
Wow! Kean looking like a giant so far. Could we see one of Epping or Balsdon miss out on the playoffs???

Spoke too soon, not a good day to say the least. Now I wish we could see both games tomorrow to check out the body language and team dynamics.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 69.166.29.28

02-05-15 06:57PM
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

After a missed day, we're back in Ingersoll. Tune in at 7pm on Thursday to follow Epping v. Squires:

https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/50

02-06-15 01:36PM
scorer79 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scorer79 Click here to Send scorer79 a Private Message Find more posts by scorer79 Add scorer79 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scorer79
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Radio-Man

Spoke too soon, not a good day to say the least. Now I wish we could see both games tomorrow to check out the body language and team dynamics.

And a bounce back day yesterday. Back in the thick of it is Team Kean.

02-06-15 04:29PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i dont know what it is but most of the time kean and epping play its not even close. its a blowout one way. I may really like both but i almost have to hope the final doesnt involve them because then we will, if history indicates get stuck with some one sided demoliton job thats over in 6 or 7 ends.

02-06-15 05:27PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Most people favored Epping coming into the event but Kean has looked the best all week. Both these teams have great talent but in terms of "potential" I like Kean more, especially when it comes to defending a lead. Mathers and Camm can throw absolute rockets. Mathers in particular looks like he could come close to EJ's fastball.... If this team puts it all together they could be something really really good, perhaps great. There were some chemistry issues earlier in the year but they seem to be gelling better at the moment. It's all between the ears with this young team.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

Last edited by Radio-Man on 02-06-15 at 05:29PM