M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: SF -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 1:00pm ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
SWE (Wranaa) (EE)
GER (Kapp) Final
USA (Farbelow) 10  (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 9 of 30 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-03-15 04:14PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner

It's quite clear why it had to be done, it's because the event can't fit more than 12 teams, if you have more than 12 then it goes on too long and it's a problem, so they had to find a way to be fair and still have only 12 teams, which they did.

Actually the event could accommodate more than 12 teams. The U.S. Championships (both men and women) were played in one week at Kalamazoo. The arena had 5 sheets and there were 4 draws a day (2 each). There was also a game on Monday morning-something that both the Scotties and Brier seem to avoid.

As for the possibility of having to play 3 games in one day? It's been done before in other spiels and would only happen once or twice.

Nunavut has sent rinks to national competitions before-remember, the territory has only been in existence since 1999.

Who's going to buy a ticket package for the Brier or Scotties if their province isn't playing? I said it before-try selling advance tickets for the Scotties in Vancouver...and one year you'll find one of the prairie provinces in the same boat. The fact that the "home" province gets a "free ride" mean s that one day some enterprising lawyer will see "discrimination" against one of the Territories-and yes, I know that Nunavut has only 3 clubs (I believe I was the person who raised that point) and has taken a pass on events before.

This relegation issue was never important until the pro circuit came into existence. If you want the 12 best rinks playing in the Scotties or Brier then, as I suggested, simply replace both events with another tour stop-there will be no need to restrict the entries to one rink per province/territory and the fans will flock to the event, just like on the pro circuit now. I received flak for making that suggestion before, but I'll stand by what I said.

The U.S./British Opens as well as the Masters aren't just PGA tour stops-the key word is "Open"...and some "name" golfers don't get to go-especially to the Masters.

If you want to call me "Old-Fashioned" go ahead...but for those who want change:

1. Have you booked time off to attended a Brier/Scotties before-including the "extra events"?
2. If your province wasn't at the Brier/Scotties would you still buy a ticket-and travel to wherever the event was being held?
3. How many pro events have you attended...and have you booked time off work and travelled to attend?
4. Should last year's Stanley Cup winner receive a "bye" into this year's playoffs? Folks in Los Angeles wouldn't mind...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-03-15 04:31PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie

Actually the event could accommodate more than 12 teams. The U.S. Championships (both men and women) were played in one week at Kalamazoo. The arena had 5 sheets and there were 4 draws a day (2 each). There was also a game on Monday morning-something that both the Scotties and Brier seem to avoid.

As for the possibility of having to play 3 games in one day? It's been done before in other spiels and would only happen once or twice.

Nunavut has sent rinks to national competitions before-remember, the territory has only been in existence since 1999.

Who's going to buy a ticket package for the Brier or Scotties if their province isn't playing? I said it before-try selling advance tickets for the Scotties in Vancouver...and one year you'll find one of the prairie provinces in the same boat. The fact that the "home" province gets a "free ride" mean s that one day some enterprising lawyer will see "discrimination" against one of the Territories-and yes, I know that Nunavut has only 3 clubs (I believe I was the person who raised that point) and has taken a pass on events before.

This relegation issue was never important until the pro circuit came into existence. If you want the 12 best rinks playing in the Scotties or Brier then, as I suggested, simply replace both events with another tour stop-there will be no need to restrict the entries to one rink per province/territory and the fans will flock to the event, just like on the pro circuit now. I received flak for making that suggestion before, but I'll stand by what I said.

The U.S./British Opens as well as the Masters aren't just PGA tour stops-the key word is "Open"...and some "name" golfers don't get to go-especially to the Masters.

If you want to call me "Old-Fashioned" go ahead...but for those who want change:

1. Have you booked time off to attended a Brier/Scotties before-including the "extra events"?
2. If your province wasn't at the Brier/Scotties would you still buy a ticket-and travel to wherever the event was being held?
3. How many pro events have you attended...and have you booked time off work and travelled to attend?
4. Should last year's Stanley Cup winner receive a "bye" into this year's playoffs? Folks in Los Angeles wouldn't mind...

Yeah, it could if there were 5 sheets, but there aren't, it's 4, so it can't.

03-03-15 04:40PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Any arena that would be used for a brier is wide enough for 5 sheets, there'd just be less pretty blue carpet dividers.

03-03-15 04:40PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Actually it could be handled very easily-in fact that used to be the norm...just narrow the paths between the sheets. Heck, TSN could hire more "recently-retired" curlers too.

And In-Off, that would mean less debris from those pretty carpets too.

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 03-03-15 at 04:44PM

03-03-15 04:43PM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Yeah, it could if there were 5 sheets, but there aren't, it's 4, so it can't.

How do the juniors pull it off then on 4 sheet clubs?

Two pools, four draws a day until they are realigned halfway thru. It's not rocket science. If the will is there, there is certainly a way.

03-03-15 04:43PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

They need the blue paths for the cameras.

03-03-15 04:46PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Ventry

How do the juniors pull it off then on 4 sheet clubs?

I believe that the Juniors use the "Divisional" setup...it's not ideal, but at least everybody comes to the dance-and gets to stay.

03-03-15 04:46PM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

I don't know where you got 15 teams from, the juniors has only 10.

http://www.curling.ca/2015juniors-e...gory/teams-men/

03-03-15 04:49PM
lixit74 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lixit74 Click here to Send lixit74 a Private Message Find more posts by lixit74 Add lixit74 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lixit74
Harvey Hacksmasher

Has anyone ever considered the thought that maybe it was Camm that said something to Nont first regarding the knee planting that was obviously going on by both teams?

The tap simply could have been their way of saying, "right back at ya buddy."

Looks like there are some pretty good knee plants going on from multiple teams; not just Ont or Nont. Maybe they all need a good tap to remind them not to...

I'm sure there's been some discussion going on behind the scenes. It'll be interesting to watch the game tonight to see if the same stuff is going on or not...

misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Or if they don't get it umpired properly an opponent might find a bunch of Ryan's Fancy (Fry) in his bag!

what the hell does this even mean?

Stoner
Drawmaster

As for the Canadian juniors, they are a different format than the Brier in that because there are more teams, they split them into smaller groups.

03-03-15 04:50PM
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Ventry

http://www.curling.ca/2015juniors-e...gory/teams-men/

14 teams, lose Team Canada if you have to

misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

my favorite underdogs pei's playoff hopes are dissolving now. looking to finish the day 2-4 and will need a miracle . will probably be just about avoiding dropping down to relegation again

IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
They need the blue paths for the cameras.

Cameras can be done from overhead and the ends of the sheets. do we really need the 5 second facial closeup every shot.

03-03-15 04:53PM
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
As for the Canadian juniors, they are a different format than the Brier in that because there are more teams, they split them into smaller groups.

Sure, two groups of 7 then split midweek into a championship group and a seeding group.

03-03-15 04:56PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

The Junior had 8 sheets to work with so they only had 3 draws a day-but there were 14 teams in each division, including Nunavut-but no Team Canada.

I'm not suggesting that the "Pool" format is bad-it's just that, given the parameters and a 4-draw day you could conceivably have a full round-robin draw-you could also have every team get at least one appearance on TV (especially now that TSN has "doubled-up"). If you don't like Nunavut or Yukon, book them for Sunday/Monday morning.

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 03-03-15 at 05:06PM

03-03-15 04:59PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

How about this for a way to accomodate 16 teams (The 14 plus maybe have a direct entry to the brier from a east spiel and a west spiel?).

4 pools of 4. You play your 3 games plus any tie-breakers on Saturday and Sunday. Top 2 from each pool move on (like the world cup) to an 8 team round robin. Bottom 8 can have their own round robin on the consolation side for all I care.

No relegation involved. Every province and territory gets a team, etc.

03-03-15 05:08PM
Batty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Batty Click here to Send Batty a Private Message Find more posts by Batty Add Batty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Batty
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by lixit74
Has anyone ever considered the thought that maybe it was Camm that said something to Nont first regarding the knee planting that was obviously going on by both teams?

The tap simply could have been their way of saying, "right back at ya buddy."

um no
Team Jacobs posted on their facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team...1979173?fref=ts
That there was vocal request, then the tap apparently harder then intended
Either way, if this was done between people familiar with each other sure but not in this situation. repeat the verbal request or go to the official. And as someone else posted. Ryan Fry has fingers and knees all over the ice what would have happened if we hit his foot?

03-03-15 05:09PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Kill a few boids w/ 1 stone (post)

1. Can't remember last time a skip was demoted in Brier play - other than injury or illness. Anyone recall?

2. Jacobs is such a monster right now.

3. Reid Carruthers plays the monster tonite. Reid is starting to feel his oats after opening with two fairly disappointing losses. They're playing great now - I'm sure Reid will go toe to toe with Jacobs tonite - leave it all on the ice - really go after Soo City Muscle - wouldn't be surprised if Reid takes SSM deep before the awesome power of Team Jacobs finally breaks them!

4. Like to see TSN director instruct Russ or Vic to interview an umpire or a CCA head honcho to verify the rules of play regarding "kneeing or swimming on the ice".

5. How did Jamie Koe qualify again?

6. Earle Morris. Wonder if he regrets leaving Team Homan to coach Boy Blunder!

5. Koe qualified because they are the best team in the north by far, it's not a bad team, just a bad week, or the rest of Koe's team isn't at the same standard as him, so if they aren't playing well enough, he can't make his/good shots.

Last edited by Stoner on 03-03-15 at 05:16PM

03-03-15 05:10PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Where were we when the CCA was supposedly having their open discussions?

I think that Bob Weeks reads these posts-any suggestion that's accommodating (after all, this is Canada and we pride ourselves on our ability to accommodate) will hopefully be seen...as you may know he's not a fan of relegation either.

03-03-15 05:12PM
Batty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Batty Click here to Send Batty a Private Message Find more posts by Batty Add Batty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Batty
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Western Newbie
http://www.curlingzone.com/talk/?p=149

Surprised Team Ont even has to be told to get off their knees. They are in the big league now. Most curlers squat after their throw.

Ha! Like Menard? Morris?

03-03-15 05:14PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

The Brier won't change to a pool format, that's what it is at the grand slam tour events, and that's what makes it unique, you have to play all the prov's/terr's to win.

03-03-15 05:24PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Like to see Erin Carmody spare - sister of PEI 2nd Anson Carmody and former STOH runner-up 4th stone!

That's just about the 8330 stupid thing that you have ever penned. This is a mens championship and an insult to pei's alternate Robert Campbell.

03-03-15 05:31PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Where were we when the CCA was supposedly having their open discussions?

I think that Bob Weeks reads these posts-any suggestion that's accommodating (after all, this is Canada and we pride ourselves on our ability to accommodate) will hopefully be seen...as you may know he's not a fan of relegation either.

The CC has never wanted open discussions with anyone. Even their Niagara falls summit was a disaster.

03-03-15 05:31PM
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
The Junior had 8 sheets to work with so they only had 3 draws a day-but there were 14 teams in each division, including Nunavut-but no Team Canada.

I'm not suggesting that the "Pool" format is bad-it's just that, given the parameters and a 4-draw day you could conceivably have a full round-robin draw-you could also have every team get at least one appearance on TV (especially now that TSN has "doubled-up"). If you don't like Nunavut or Yukon, book them for Sunday/Monday morning.

Liverpool had 4 sheets last year.

The big point here is minor logistical changes should not keep everyone from being part of the brier.