M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: SF -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 1:00pm ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
SWE (Wranaa) (EE)
GER (Kapp) Final
USA (Farbelow) 10  (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 8 of 30 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-03-15 01:28PM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

I'll just say again, it wasn't accessible to everyone before (Nunavut), and it's never been fair exactly.

Everyone has the chance at the start of playdowns to qualify for the Brier. To me, that is the important thing.

Fine, make it like the juniors then, 14 teams in two groups of 7, then a championship round.

I think there's difference in enabling a territory that may or may not have had an opportunity to play then fundamentally changing the format where a province that has been there for close to 90 years is left out.

It's either a national championship or it's not.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-03-15 01:43PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Ventry

Fine, make it like the juniors then, 14 teams in two groups of 7, then a championship round.

I think there's difference in enabling a territory that may or may not have had an opportunity to play then fundamentally changing the format where a province that has been there for close to 90 years is left out.

It's either a national championship or it's not.

I don't mind your solution, but if anything, it wasn't a national championship before. As long as every team in the country has the opportunity to qualify for the Brier, it's a national championship.

03-03-15 01:50PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:

I'll just say again, it wasn't accessible to everyone before (Nunavut), and it's never been fair exactly.

Everyone has the chance at the start of playdowns to qualify for the Brier. To me, that is the important thing.

Exactly! Provinces are not being barred from the Brier.

03-03-15 01:54PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:

I don't mind your solution, but if anything, it wasn't a national championship before. As long as every team in the country has the opportunity to qualify for the Brier, it's a national championship.

The relegation round does not bar anyone from getting to the Brier.

03-03-15 02:24PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Western Newbie
http://www.curlingzone.com/talk/?p=149

Oh boy. This is when it gets out of control. This is the big boys playing. When they lose they cry foul. Yes if they are leaving divots the proper authorities should be informed and they should remind the players.

But really a formal complaint? Abuse?

I think the complaining about abuse in our society has just gone too far. There was no yelling, screaming, but a gentle tap reminder. gentle tap. Not a hit.

Glenn Howard is feeding into this as well because his baby's team lost.

Let's cause a ruckus to unnerve Team Jacobs. After all they are playing better than team Ont at the moment.

As to the photo of Fry's hand. He generally is lightly moving it while sliding. Usually when he is stopped the hand is off the ice. Players are aware of the effect of the melt on their game as well.

Surprised Team Ont even has to be told to get off their knees. They are in the big league now. Most curlers squat after their throw.

Many experienced teams would have confronted the sweeper on the ice after the "tap". Might have escalated depending on who.

You seem to think Team Ontario is out of line here, when quite the opposite is true.

03-03-15 02:26PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Ventry

It's a national championship. It's either fair and accessible for everyone or its not.

It is very shortsighted and sets a bad precedent if it is intended to represent the 12 best teams in the country.

Having provincial representation is what the Brier is all about and why it is so popular.

There is plenty of other events that highlight the best teams in the country and the world, you can get your fix there.

I can't see any reason why this had to be done.

It's quite clear why it had to be done, it's because the event can't fit more than 12 teams, if you have more than 12 then it goes on too long and it's a problem, so they had to find a way to be fair and still have only 12 teams, which they did.

03-03-15 02:30PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

No doubt, that was dumb.

I don't know, how would you do the format then?

03-03-15 02:37PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
you putting the "horse infront of the cart " here pal, so N.O. has the best record to date remaining unbeaten, all it takes is to lose focus and have a mental breakdown and VOLA your not invincible... we will see as week progresses WHO IS ON TOP OF STANDINGS

Hardly, Jacobs is slaying right now and again they aren't even at their best, it's going to take a lot from other teams to match their level, you should know by now that if this team is going, which is most of the time, they are basically impossible to stop, they are the best in the world for a reason.

03-03-15 02:49PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

I agree. Jacobs in BEAST MODE is pretty overwhelming, but it only takes one bad game at the wrong time. Alberta has it's teeth into this event now and they can certainly launch some devastating haymakers.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

03-03-15 02:52PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
the rule about not touching the ice is a lot like the 30 second to serve rule in tennis. it is there but almost never inforced.

I agree, but the point is it should be enforced.

The difference is if you're over 30 seconds everyonce in awhile it doesn't affect the game. If you leave knee prints on the ice it's only a matter of time until rocks start picking.

Once or twice is no big deal, but we all know the guy who feels they have to be down on their hands and knees to judge the line of a wide open draw. It's just really not that hard to stay off the ice.

03-03-15 02:53PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

^ I agree Alberta is improving, they are the only ones right now who look like they could beat Jacobs in the playoffs, but they have to make them first.

03-03-15 02:55PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner

I don't know, how would you do the format then?

Use the draw to the button to seed the teams. PEI would have been first. You could then make Nove Scotia and Yukon play a tie-breaker Friday night to see who made the relegation final. The problem is they didn't even schedule time for a tie-breaker like it was unforseeable that the teams could all finish 1-1.

03-03-15 02:56PM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

It's quite clear why it had to be done, it's because the event can't fit more than 12 teams, if you have more than 12 then it goes on too long and it's a problem, so they had to find a way to be fair and still have only 12 teams, which they did.

Look at the junior setup, 14 teams. What's the problem?

03-03-15 02:58PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Deucey

Use the draw to the button to seed the teams. PEI would have been first. You could then make Nove Scotia and Yukon play a tie-breaker Friday night to see who made the relegation final. The problem is they didn't even schedule time for a tie-breaker like it was unforseeable that the teams could all finish 1-1.

Bingo

03-03-15 03:00PM
Jetboots is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jetboots Click here to Send Jetboots a Private Message Visit Jetboots's homepage! Find more posts by Jetboots Add Jetboots to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jetboots
Harvey Hacksmasher

It is not so much the knee and hand prints that are the main concern out there for the Ice Technicians in maintaining great conditions for the curlers at this years Brier. In a brief conversation this morning with Jamie Bourassa and Greg Ewasko, they both indicated that they are more concerned with gripper marks and debris coming off them. In having said this, I do agree that the countries best curlers here in Calgary should know that knee and hand prints are a no, no and respect the ice conditions that they curl on as well as the opposition players they are facing.

03-03-15 03:08PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

Well the TB was PF-PA. I don't know why you are calling it a relegation final when it's a qualifying final, you get relegated when you finish last in the Brier.

03-03-15 03:11PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
the rule about not touching the ice is a lot like the 30 second to serve rule in tennis. it is there but almost never inforced.

Except the 30 second rule in tennis is being enforced since 14'.

03-03-15 03:13PM
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:

Well the TB was PF-PA. I don't know why you are calling it a relegation final when it's a qualifying final, you get relegated when you finish last in the Brier.

The TB was actually cumulative draw to the button distance. as I understand it NS missed being 2nd by 2 cm. The point is they don't eliminate you from the main competition based on draw to the button results, they only seed you. Why should it be different in the Pre-Qualifying Round (my utmost apologies for mistakenly calling it the relegation round).

03-03-15 03:19PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:

100% agree. Everything about the relegation round was done without any care or thought of the consequences.

I am certain that if you asked the 3 teams involved beforehand if they'd rather playoff if tied or use the draw scores to be eliminated, they'd gladly miss the banquet for which they were an afterthought for anyway. That way they'd have peace and quiet playing for their brier lives rather than having to put up with the announcer screeching out hotshots scores like he's doing an infomercial for sham-wow, while they're trying to do their draw to the button which could potentially eliminate them. Can you imagine, drawing for all the marbles while the "real" competitors are drawing for a truck.

03-03-15 03:23PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

The TB was actually cumulative draw to the button distance. as I understand it NS missed being 2nd by 2 cm. The point is they don't eliminate you from the main competition based on draw to the button results, they only seed you. Why should it be different in the Pre-Qualifying Round (my utmost apologies for mistakenly calling it the relegation round).

Are you sure they broke the tie with a draw to the button, if so I agree with you, it's absurd and should never be decided in this way, it's like deciding a hockey game by shootout to some degree, I thought it was points for and points against. I see why you called it a relegation final, it's because the whole competition is called the relegation playoffs, but the actual final is called pre-qualifying.

03-03-15 03:29PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

It IS relegation, the CCA changed the wording to try and make it seem not as degrading to pre-qualify or play-in. It is relegation for the 2 teams that go home and move on for the team that wins.

And yes it was total draw scores that were used as elimination.

03-03-15 03:30PM
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:

Are you sure they broke the tie with a draw to the button, if so I agree with you, it's absurd and should never be decided in this way, it's like deciding a hockey game by shootout to some degree, I thought it was points for and points against. I see why you called it a relegation final, it's because the whole competition is called the relegation playoffs, but the actual final is called pre-qualifying.

I'm fairly certain. 99%. My friend who is from Nova Scoatia was the one who told me they lost by 2 cm and basically because one of their draws picked and stopped in the 8 foot. It would be tough to do a PF-PA since teams will sometimes quit if they're down too many.

03-03-15 03:37PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Except the 30 second rule in tennis is being enforced since 14'.

true that its a new rule but its still largely ignored. you see some lower ranked players get called on it but even then still very loosely. and the top players abuse the rule all the time and dont get called on it

03-03-15 03:51PM
Chopper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chopper Click here to Send Chopper a Private Message Find more posts by Chopper Add Chopper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chopper
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
Regardless of the reason for the 'taps', it wasn't the right thing to do. If speaking to the opposing team doesn't resolve the problem, wouldn't the next step be to raise it with an official/umpire?

I can tell you that if someone tapped me like that during a match, they'd be at the pro shop buying a new broom after the game.

I agree, talk to the team first, that really should do it, at this or any level. Bringing officials into it never looks good in this sport as it really is supposed to be self ruled. But why have them if you can't use them. A tap at a club level is okay if your good buds, but I think at this level the intensity is so high that it could easily get out of control. What if little Hodgy from MB. did the tapping. Nobody's taking it from him. But because it's one of the big bad boys it's okay? Not at all.

And as far making him buy a new broom, yeah that might happen right after the ambulance picks you up. Violence gets violence.

03-03-15 03:54PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

Awesome Bryan Mudrykism

"Pat Simmons was a very successfull skip for Saskatchewan when he represented that country"