M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: SF -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 1:00pm ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
SWE (Wranaa) (EE)
GER (Kapp) Final
USA (Farbelow) 10  (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 30 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-02-15 11:50PM
gmay48 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gmay48 Click here to Send gmay48 a Private Message Find more posts by gmay48 Add gmay48 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gmay48
Hitting Paint

i see the boys from northern ontario were helping the ontario team keep their knees of the ice. good idea. always a good idea to help younger teams with proper etiquette.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-03-15 12:15AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

I've read your posts, Captain Boo Hoo. My apologies to Ottawa, it must be hereditary with you.

I knew you couldn稚, you inane babbler you.

03-03-15 02:05AM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

http://www.curlingzone.com/talk/?p=149

Oh boy. This is when it gets out of control. This is the big boys playing. When they lose they cry foul. Yes if they are leaving divots the proper authorities should be informed and they should remind the players.

But really a formal complaint? Abuse?

I think the complaining about abuse in our society has just gone too far. There was no yelling, screaming, but a gentle tap reminder. gentle tap. Not a hit.

Glenn Howard is feeding into this as well because his baby's team lost.

Let's cause a ruckus to unnerve Team Jacobs. After all they are playing better than team Ont at the moment.

As to the photo of Fry's hand. He generally is lightly moving it while sliding. Usually when he is stopped the hand is off the ice. Players are aware of the effect of the melt on their game as well.

Surprised Team Ont even has to be told to get off their knees. They are in the big league now. Most curlers squat after their throw.

03-03-15 02:16AM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by ObsessiveCurler
Apparently Kevin Koe has been suffering from food poisoning since yesterday, which would explain his poor play.

Sorry to hear he had food poisoning, but why was he shaking the hands of his opponents?

Any gastric illness is contagious.

He did not say a word until the next day.

Lets hope it was a 26 oz gastric issue and not one that can spread to the rest of the teams.

He certainly is playing better now. That will help recovery too.

03-03-15 02:34AM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
its pretty cruel not to allow these 3 teams at the banquet. the suggestion was made in the scotties thread to play the elimination games at the end of the week and i think that works so much better.

as for the topic overall its been debated so many times and with so many threads its tiring now. we are just going to have to deal with this

I'm quite certain it's not possible to play elimination games at the end of the week. How exactly would this work in your mind.

As for the new format I say it's about time, The Brier should get more popularity because truly the best 12 teams will be in from now on, I think many people have thought the Brier was too weak, not anymore.

03-03-15 02:38AM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

Jacobs is most likely going to win again, they aren't even playing their best and yet are still winning, the rest of the teams are struggling, probably because all the top teams except Jacobs changed in the off season.

03-03-15 05:33AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner
Jacobs is most likely going to win again, they aren't even playing their best and yet are still winning, the rest of the teams are struggling, probably because all the top teams except Jacobs changed in the off season.
you putting the "horse infront of the cart " here pal, so N.O. has the best record to date remaining unbeaten, all it takes is to lose focus and have a mental breakdown and VOLA your not invincible... we will see as week progresses WHO IS ON TOP OF STANDINGS

03-03-15 08:32AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Western Newbie
http://www.curlingzone.com/talk/?p=149

Oh boy. This is when it gets out of control. This is the big boys playing. When they lose they cry foul. Yes if they are leaving divots the proper authorities should be informed and they should remind the players.

But really a formal complaint? Abuse?

I think the complaining about abuse in our society has just gone too far. There was no yelling, screaming, but a gentle tap reminder. gentle tap. Not a hit.

Glenn Howard is feeding into this as well because his baby's team lost.

Let's cause a ruckus to unnerve Team Jacobs. After all they are playing better than team Ont at the moment.

As to the photo of Fry's hand. He generally is lightly moving it while sliding. Usually when he is stopped the hand is off the ice. Players are aware of the effect of the melt on their game as well.

Surprised Team Ont even has to be told to get off their knees. They are in the big league now. Most curlers squat after their throw.

I saw one of the 'taps' happen live and had to rewind it several times to believe what I saw. I don't think I've ever seen that before at this level of play. It was pretty shocking. Whether Ontario was unintentionally puddling the ice or not, the 'taps' were not the right way to deal with it and I can see why Ont was upset with it.

03-03-15 08:36AM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner

I'm quite certain it's not possible to play elimination games at the end of the week. How exactly would this work in your mind.

As for the new format I say it's about time, The Brier should get more popularity because truly the best 12 teams will be in from now on, I think many people have thought the Brier was too weak, not anymore.

It's a national championship. It's either fair and accessible for everyone or its not.

It is very shortsighted and sets a bad precedent if it is intended to represent the 12 best teams in the country.

Having provincial representation is what the Brier is all about and why it is so popular.

There is plenty of other events that highlight the best teams in the country and the world, you can get your fix there.

I can't see any reason why this had to be done.

03-03-15 08:49AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

I saw one of the 'taps' happen live and had to rewind it several times to believe what I saw. I don't think I've ever seen that before at this level of play. It was pretty shocking. Whether Ontario was unintentionally puddling the ice or not, the 'taps' were not the right way to deal with it and I can see why Ont was upset with it.

agree. it was wrong of team jacobs to deal with it the way they did. whether it was a tap or a punch its still unwanted contact.

why not simply say something to them or officials if it bothers you

menard has been known to stay on his knees on the ice, i have to wonder if team jacobs did the same thing to him

03-03-15 08:53AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

everyone man or woman as a curler has a dream of one day reaching the big show and they have a right to try realize that dream. who are we or the cca to say those dreams are wrong. thats the big question here

i know the curlers would never, ever be okay with the brier or scotties one day no longer determining the national champion and hopefully that means something

03-03-15 11:04AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Regardless of the reason for the 'taps', it wasn't the right thing to do. If speaking to the opposing team doesn't resolve the problem, wouldn't the next step be to raise it with an official/umpire?

I can tell you that if someone tapped me like that during a match, they'd be at the pro shop buying a new broom after the game.

03-03-15 11:32AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Ventry

It's a national championship. It's either fair and accessible for everyone or its not.

I'll just say again, it wasn't accessible to everyone before (Nunavut), and it's never been fair exactly.

Everyone has the chance at the start of playdowns to qualify for the Brier. To me, that is the important thing.

03-03-15 11:50AM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

The folks at CCA would be wise to look at horseracing--specificly standardbred horseracing--and see what happens when you stop marketing your sport. There used to be upwards of 10-15K fans in the seats at live racing for over 50 years. Then a racing channel lead to people not having to go to the racetrack. Fast forward 10 years and now less than 1,000 people attend live racing in Ontario. With that drop in attendance came a drop in interest--less people buying horses--which in turn means less horses gettting bred and so on. Like racing, curling is a grassroots sport where a guy from a local club can declare---for a relatively small entry fee---that his team is the best in canada. Much like one guy challenging another that 'my horse is faster, lets have a race.'

Believe me when I tell you, contraction is never good. You are either growing the sport and you're heading towards extinction. The Brier--and all it's wonderful tradition and grassroots participation---is vital for growth. And during a time when local clubs are facing extinction, youth competitive curling is on the morphine drip and demographics are shifting---there is a real need to develope an inclusisionary policy and market the hell out of the sport. In the right hands, I believe curling can experinece a resurgence in popularity.

03-03-15 11:54AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

I'll just say again, it wasn't accessible to everyone before (Nunavut), and it's never been fair exactly.

Everyone has the chance at the start of playdowns to qualify for the Brier. To me, that is the important thing.

Late catching up, but just in regards to it being a national championship, how is it possible that in every playdown leading to this national championship, at no time will teams that are tied be eliminated other than a playoff game, but here in the relegation round they were? It seems every time something comes up that involves this relegation that would require anyone questioning it and it's validity, there's fine print that surfaces in the 11th hour that covers their tracks. When will the madness end?

03-03-15 12:28PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Late catching up, but just in regards to it being a national championship, how is it possible that in every playdown leading to this national championship, at no time will teams that are tied be eliminated other than a playoff game, but here in the relegation round they were?

No doubt, that was dumb.

03-03-15 12:39PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

To get back to the Brier and the games, can't wait to see CANADA(Morris) play ALBERTA(Koe) tonight, a matchup that pits the 2014 brier champs against eachother(sounds weird to say). I suspect Koe will win the game something like 8-4 tbh. Alberta has been playing great if you ignore Koe's first 2 games, while Team Canada is unsurprisingly struggling to play as a cohesive unit and making good shots consistently.

03-03-15 12:47PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Credit to the Ontario chaps for not escalating the matter with a physical confronation.

However, that doesn't get Ontario off the hook either.

Both parties should be spoken to by Warren Hansen (or whoever Warren has doing his job these day).

I suspect though the CCA will leave it up to the players to resolve.

I think the umpire needs to address this situation going forward. They need to issue warnings for players putting their knees and hands on the ice for too long.

The tap was uncalled for, but it would not have happened if the umpire was enforcing the rules. You see it all the time with young curlers (Johnny Mo use to be one of the biggest culprets), for some reason they want to drop to all 4s after they let go of the big weight shot. You can judge the line just fine by staying in your slide or in a crouched position.

03-03-15 12:51PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Late catching up, but just in regards to it being a national championship, how is it possible that in every playdown leading to this national championship, at no time will teams that are tied be eliminated other than a playoff game, but here in the relegation round they were? It seems every time something comes up that involves this relegation that would require anyone questioning it and it's validity, there's fine print that surfaces in the 11th hour that covers their tracks. When will the madness end?

I was absolutely flabbergasted when I found out that was the case. Relegation may not have been the best idea to begin with, but to have a team go home based on draw to the button results made it the worst idea ever! I also thought it was more than a little classless that they've apparently excluded the relegation teams from a lot of the other player events. The cost would have been minimal to put these teams up for the week with a pass to all of the events.

03-03-15 12:53PM
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

Unless I'm mistaken Nunuvut always had the option of entering a team in the Territories playdowns. Since it's obviously very cost prohibitive they chose not to do it (much like not sending a team to the brier).

03-03-15 12:56PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

I think a tap from EJ on the foot will get the message across better then an official.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

03-03-15 12:57PM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Deucey

I think the umpire needs to address this situation going forward. They need to issue warnings for players putting their knees and hands on the ice for too long.

The tap was uncalled for, but it would not have happened if the umpire was enforcing the rules. You see it all the time with young curlers (Johnny Mo use to be one of the biggest culprets), for some reason they want to drop to all 4s after they let go of the big weight shot. You can judge the line just fine by staying in your slide or in a crouched position.

Agree that the officials should lay down the law (not that I am a big fan of officials!) A relatively simple solution would be to stop the game, have the ice crew repair the knee print and resume. This would be very embarrassing to the offender and go a long way to putting a stop to this BS.

03-03-15 01:03PM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Deucey

Unless I'm mistaken Nunuvut always had the option of entering a team in the Territories playdowns. Since it's obviously very cost prohibitive they chose not to do it (much like not sending a team to the brier).

I think you're mistaken.

From a TSN article:

"The Canadian Curling Association, which re-branded itself as Curling Canada on Friday, altered the format of both men's and women's national championships this year to mirror each other as well as be a true national championship with all provinces and territories having the chance to enter a team."

This certainly implies that there was a territory that didn't have a chance to enter a team. I have no idea if there was ever a team that wanted to enter, but it should always be an option.

03-03-15 01:18PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

the rule about not touching the ice is a lot like the 30 second to serve rule in tennis. it is there but almost never inforced.

03-03-15 01:19PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

there is a bug making its way around by the way. kean, casey and the new brunswick second all haven it