M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: SF -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 1:00pm ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
SWE (Wranaa) (EE)
GER (Kapp) Final
USA (Farbelow) 10  (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 27 of 30 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-08-15 11:40PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by mcgregorm89

If you want to rank the best Scottish rink this year it has to go to team Brewster, he belongs on your list higher than Murdoch based on this year. It was also Brewster who built Murdoch's current team.

I don't think so, so far this year Brewster has earned 50 points on the tour, whereas Murdoch has 66.

Last edited by Stoner on 03-08-15 at 11:44PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-08-15 11:45PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

Also, Murdoch went 8-1 and topped the table at the Scottish championships while Brewster went 4-5. I am convinced they're still the best Scottish team out there, they just had a bad final.

03-08-15 11:46PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner

I don't think so, so far this year Brewster has earned 50 points on the tour, whereas Murdoch has 66.

In money list ranking Brewster is in 10 and Murdoch is in 17. I don't know which tanking is better, to me it's the cash. The more you have the more you have won.

03-08-15 11:50PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by mcgregorm89

In money list ranking Brewster is in 10 and Murdoch is in 17. I don't know which tanking is better, to me it's the cash. The more you have the more you have won.

Order of Merit is the best ranking. Points are awarded based on the strength of field. Money doesn't always show how tough an event is to win.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-09-15 01:02AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

Quite a story tail run from Team Canada. Barely play all season - and play poorly when they did (didn't qualify for playoffs at 2/3 Grand Slams, went 1-5 at Canada Cup), start Brier 2-3 (had to steal 2 in the 10th against NB to avoid falling to 1-3!!), change skips halfway through the Brier and then go 8-1 the rest of the way to win!

- I think NO made a mistake playing the first half of the game as open as they did. When you're the underdog (which TC decidedly was), you have to love when a 10 end game turns into a 6 end game after 4 straight blanks. Shorter game = more unpredictability in the result.

- Despite the 4 blanks, I love how both teams made decisions in 2 of those first 4 ends to try win rather than being scared to lose. Jacobs' ignoring a TC rock and coming around a guard in the 2nd to try for the skip's deuce. Simmons calling the runback facing two in the 4th - that would have been ballgame if he missed!

- Great to see the absolute joy from TC after the final draw.. you could tell how much this meant to them and how unexpected the whole thing was. And I know all the top teams are friends and/or respect each other, but it felt like TC was quite enjoying being the ones fist pumping and yelling rather than listening to Jacobs' rink do the same.

03-09-15 01:36AM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

Tsn mentioned that Mike Babcock still talks with the Jacobs team and even texted them before this game. That's pretty cool for a group of curlers having an nhl coach texting them. Probably could of used his help for this game.

Last edited by mcgregorm89 on 03-09-15 at 01:40AM

03-09-15 04:36AM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

I'm especially happy for Pat Simmons.

For years I've been hearing people say, "Kevin Koe would have a monster team, but his third is weak."

This about a guy who has won multiple provincial championships as a skip in a strong province.

Then Koe ditches his team in favour of a new squad that doesn't really have a third.

And now this.

Congratulations to Team Canada.

03-09-15 09:52AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

Enormous victory of course for all of them but I would mention specifically those two humongous last rock throws by Simmons in the 9th and 11th ends to seal the deal.

03-09-15 10:35AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

I wonder if N.Ont is regretting not playing for the blank in 9? There was a pivotal moment in that end when Jacobs had to decide between trying to force (or steal) or leading things towards a blank. The team did not seem to all be in agreement with his decision. As soon as he went that route, Canada went hard to score 2+

03-09-15 10:47AM
Cosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cosss Click here to Send Cosss a Private Message Find more posts by Cosss Add Cosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cosss
Hitting Paint

What a great game! I am very happy for Simmons! I really enjoyed the Brier this year and am sad that it had to end. The world's don't really do it for me. I consider the Scotties and the Brier as the biggest prizes to claim in any non-Olympic year. This isn't to slight any of the teams at the world's, it's just that I don't get into the competition the same way I do for the Scotties and the Brier. Congrats Team Canada!

03-09-15 10:49AM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Hack Weight
Quite a story tail run from Team Canada. Barely play all season - and play poorly when they did (didn't qualify for playoffs at 2/3 Grand Slams, went 1-5 at Canada Cup), start Brier 2-3 (had to steal 2 in the 10th against NB to avoid falling to 1-3!!), change skips halfway through the Brier and then go 8-1 the rest of the way to win!

- I think NO made a mistake playing the first half of the game as open as they did. When you're the underdog (which TC decidedly was), you have to love when a 10 end game turns into a 6 end game after 4 straight blanks. Shorter game = more unpredictability in the result.

- Despite the 4 blanks, I love how both teams made decisions in 2 of those first 4 ends to try win rather than being scared to lose. Jacobs' ignoring a TC rock and coming around a guard in the 2nd to try for the skip's deuce. Simmons calling the runback facing two in the 4th - that would have been ballgame if he missed!

- Great to see the absolute joy from TC after the final draw.. you could tell how much this meant to them and how unexpected the whole thing was. And I know all the top teams are friends and/or respect each other, but it felt like TC was quite enjoying being the ones fist pumping and yelling rather than listening to Jacobs' rink do the same.

I agree HW that it was to TCs advantage to have an open 4 ends but a team is not going to mix it up and take unnecessary chances if the opportunity is not there....especially in a Brier final. This happens often in the finals as teams really don't want to make the first mistake and fall behind early so they play slightly more defensively. Simmons is just really the story of the Brier as never have I seen skips change midway and have any success where here Pat was absolutely stellar when he stepped in and his play in the final was virtually perfection.

Not his first rodeo though as he skipped at many Briers before but not for quite a few years so that is amazing. How do you say "in the zone"!

03-09-15 01:24PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Hack Weight
I think NO made a mistake playing the first half of the game as open as they did. When you're the underdog (which TC decidedly was), you have to love when a 10 end game turns into a 6 end game after 4 straight blanks. Shorter game = more unpredictability in the result.

I completely agree. It was an odd strategy by N.Ont. As a general rule, the 'better team' benefits from as long a game as possible so as to remove more randomness from the result. We can debate which team is actually better, but I'm sure N.Ont believes they are - which makes the strategy so strange; I might have expected TC to push for the blanks, not NOnt.

03-09-15 01:39PM
hit_paint is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hit_paint Click here to Send hit_paint a Private Message Find more posts by hit_paint Add hit_paint to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hit_paint
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
I wonder if N.Ont is regretting not playing for the blank in 9? There was a pivotal moment in that end when Jacobs had to decide between trying to force (or steal) or leading things towards a blank. The team did not seem to all be in agreement with his decision. As soon as he went that route, Canada went hard to score 2+

I went back and re-watched some of the game. In the ninth end when deciding whether to play for the blank or try and force, someone on Team Jacobs (EJ I believe) said "We're a really good team 1 up without" (or something to that effect). Everyone was in agreement with that statement yet they decided to mix it up anyways. Getting away from their game plan seemed to cost Team Jacobs.

03-09-15 02:26PM
owlhooter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for owlhooter Click here to Send owlhooter a Private Message Find more posts by owlhooter Add owlhooter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
owlhooter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by greenroad
Enormous victory of course for all of them but I would mention specifically those two humongous last rock throws by Simmons in the 9th and 11th ends to seal the deal.

The one in 10 wasn't too shabby either.

03-09-15 03:01PM
WrongHandle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WrongHandle Click here to Send WrongHandle a Private Message Find more posts by WrongHandle Add WrongHandle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WrongHandle
Harvey Hacksmasher

So now TC can "take a year off" only playing in the Canada Cup, the Continental Cup and the Brier and maybe several of eight grand slams for fun and then if they don't win the 2016 brier they can take an actual year off and then win the pre-trials in 2017 and given the history of what happens to teams that win the pre-trials they might as well start preparing to stand on the podium in 2018.

Some guys have all the luck (and skill).

03-09-15 03:12PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

One observation from this year's Brier is how runbacks of modest length are becoming more and more automatic in today's game at the elite level. It seems like it was only 5 years ago that they were still a shot of relative last resort - now they're almost a standard shot - skips call ends knowing that a runback is now a very high % shot.

03-09-15 03:29PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

Caught a very intriguing interview on 'sportsnet" with

Kevin Martin giving his opinion on there is no more "Provincial loyalty" anymore, and await for teams to make line up changes for future .... funny way of describing this phenomenon by suggesting "the phones will be ringing and who will be on the other end'? I got a feeling he is bang on this assumption

03-09-15 03:56PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Caught a very intriguing interview on 'sportsnet" with

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
Kevin Martin giving his opinion on there is no more "Provincial loyalty" anymore, and await for teams to make line up changes for future .... funny way of describing this phenomenon by suggesting "the phones will be ringing and who will be on the other end'? I got a feeling he is bang on this assumption

i cant really disagree with what he is saying with the exception of mcewen being someone who will look to change things up. id honestly be surprised if they do. to me that team is going to be like julie hastings. together for 20 years without change.

but he is right that teams will be looking to shuffle and set their lineups in place for the next olympic run and it will be interesting to see what comes out.

Last edited by misty1 on 03-09-15 at 04:43PM

03-09-15 06:09PM
jfrench1011 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jfrench1011 Click here to Send jfrench1011 a Private Message Find more posts by jfrench1011 Add jfrench1011 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jfrench1011
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Right now, based 75% on the Brier and 25% on slam results I'd have to rate the Top 3 teams in the world as:

1. Brad Jacobs
2. Pat Simmons/Johnny Mo combo
3. Steve Laycock

Murdoch or Edin probably the first foreign team on this list then:

4. Kevin Koe
5. Brad Gushue
6. Mike McEwen
7. John Epping
8. JM Menard
9. Glenn Howard
10. Braden Calvert/ Jim Cotter (tie)

Carruthers, Kean, Mallais, Jamie Koe, etc. don't warrant consideration.

Oh geeze, not only do your posts generally make no sense with your constant "let me make up a random nickname" BS, now you show your complete lack of curling knowledge with this ridiculous ranking. Seriously, how do you put a jr team, National Champion or not, as #10 in the country ahead of the the provincial champions in the same province. Reid is doing well on tour, qualifying, playing in some finals, winning some money. You put Calvert in the Brier field this year and there is solid chance he gets MB relegated. Putting him in the top 10 is not only laughable, its insulting to the teams that are behind him.

I honestly think you just like to post your crap just so you can read it back to yourself.

03-09-15 06:50PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jfrench1011

Oh geeze, not only do your posts generally make no sense with your constant "let me make up a random nickname" BS, now you show your complete lack of curling knowledge with this ridiculous ranking. Seriously, how do you put a jr team, National Champion or not, as #10 in the country ahead of the the provincial champions in the same province. Reid is doing well on tour, qualifying, playing in some finals, winning some money. You put Calvert in the Brier field this year and there is solid chance he gets MB relegated. Putting him in the top 10 is not only laughable, its insulting to the teams that are behind him.

I honestly think you just like to post your crap just so you can read it back to yourself.

You do realize that M.L. is mentally challenged?

03-09-15 08:00PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Vermin like yourself should stick to simmering and not try to deny free speech and opinion. I generally make it a practice not to reply to hardcore haters but i make the odd exception. There's a tiny handful of vermin who generally post their spew just after i express an opinion - coincidence or hate?
People of this ilk never seem to express any sort of curling opinion - they just seem to spew hatred.
Witness Guido the psycho!
Anyways immo you insert a kid like Calvert into this year's rugged Brier field and he goes 4-7 or 5-6 without much trouble. Bottcher ight have finished as high as 6-5

Other than Calvert only other Manitoba team that would have finished better than Reid's dumpster-dive is McEwen - i'd have him anywhere from 5-6 to -4 assuming he wasn't in his safeway funk.

Could be a real rough patch for manitoba curling next few years if all we can swrve up are timids like Reid. Heck, even Old Jeff would have competed to a 5-6 or 6-5 record and Jeff misses more shots now than he ever has.

oh give me a break legend. experience counts for something and that is a point i forgot when talking about kean's chances at the brier this year.

calvert goes 3-8 at best in this years brier field and maybe even 2-9. the only teams i'd have given him a chance of beating this year would be jamie koe and mallais.bottcher ..6-5 to 7-4 but more than likely 6-5, yes.

your being incredibly disrespectful to reid by the way but thats nothing new

03-09-15 08:10PM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by WrongHandle
So now TC can "take a year off" only playing in the Canada Cup, the Continental Cup and the Brier and maybe several of eight grand slams for fun and then if they don't win the 2016 brier they can take an actual year off and then win the pre-trials in 2017 and given the history of what happens to teams that win the pre-trials they might as well start preparing to stand on the podium in 2018.

Some guys have all the luck (and skill).

There are 7 slams next year and 8 for 2017.

03-09-15 08:18PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by misty1

oh give me a break legend. experience counts for something and that is a point i forgot when talking about kean's chances at the brier this year.

calvert goes 3-8 at best in this years brier field and maybe even 2-9. the only teams i'd have given him a chance of beating this year would be jamie koe and mallais.bottcher ..6-5 to 7-4 but more than likely 6-5, yes.

your being incredibly disrespectful to reid by the way but thats nothing new
[/
QUOTE]

Reid is a good curler, a gentleman curler but he's fodder at the hands of master shooters like Simmons, Mo, Jacobs, Koe, Laycock, Goo, even G Howard, Epping & Kean. Give Reid credit for one thing - he put together 1 heckuva team but just couldn't close out games like the great ones do.

Frankly I'd be surprised if he can keep that same group together. Need i remind you misty he did end up 4-7 up the track!

and you honestly think calvert would do any better? get into reality here legend.

and no, you dont need to remind me, im perfectly aware but that was one bad week. if he gets back he'll do better

03-09-15 09:03PM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

and you honestly think calvert would do any better? get into reality here legend.

and no, you dont need to remind me, im perfectly aware but that was one bad week. if he gets back he'll do better

Calvert is one of the best up and coming curlers right now and managed to be 4 in manitoba which is impressive. But I don't think he would of did that we'll at the brier, maybe better than Carruthers.

03-10-15 10:26AM
jfrench1011 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jfrench1011 Click here to Send jfrench1011 a Private Message Find more posts by jfrench1011 Add jfrench1011 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jfrench1011
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Vermin like yourself should stick to simmering and not try to deny free speech and opinion. I generally make it a practice not to reply to hardcore haters but i make the odd exception. There's a tiny handful of vermin who generally post their spew just after i express an opinion - coincidence or hate?
People of this ilk never seem to express any sort of curling opinion - they just seem to spew hatred.
Witness Guido the psycho!
Anyways immo you insert a kid like Calvert into this year's rugged Brier field and he goes 4-7 or 5-6 without much trouble. Bottcher ight have finished as high as 6-5

Other than Calvert only other Manitoba team that would have finished better than Reid's dumpster-dive is McEwen - i'd have him anywhere from 5-6 to -4 assuming he wasn't in his safeway funk.

Could be a real rough patch for manitoba curling next few years if all we can swrve up are timids like Reid. Heck, even Old Jeff would have competed to a 5-6 or 6-5 record and Jeff misses more shots now than he ever has.

Vermin, lol, always with the nicknames. And let me clarify a few facts about free speech for you.... while it does give you the right to say what you will 1. it doesn't stop others from having the right to call you on your BS 2. it doesn't mean you must be afforded the platform to speak it. I'm someone surprised mods let your nonsense carry on so often. As I have mentioned before, the constant nicknames (mean girls, muscle guys, goo, doe, fawn, dumpster dive, etc) is disrespectful to the curlers. So if you want people to respect your posts, perhaps you could return some of the consideration.

As for your quote on not posting any curling opinion, I thought I was pretty clear on my opinion. You have WAY overvalued the winning of JR in your ranking of the men's teams. And have WAY under respected Reid's team. Reid took a first year team, back as a skip after a long absence, all the way to the Brier, beating out one of the top ranked WCT tour teams twice in the process. That is no fluke. They hit the tour hard this year (qualified a few, runner up in one and won one) and that brought them up fairly quickly, but they are still a new team. I expect them to continue to improve and become even more of a competitor next year. Now compare that to Calvert that won world Jrs, was competitive in Provincials, and didnt qualify in the 3 WCT events he played in. Its pretty clear which of the two is better. Not saying Calvert's team doesnt have the potential to be a top 10 team, he is the #1 Jr team in the world, but they are in really different leagues. One very positive you can take from this is the Jr program is Canada is getting very strong. That I love to see.