M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: SF -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 1:00pm ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
SWE (Wranaa) (EE)
GER (Kapp) Final
USA (Farbelow) 10  (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 18 of 30 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-05-15 09:27PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

The rock measure person is really playing with fire at this event. Earlier in the week there was a quick measure to see if a rock was biting the rings, and instantly the rock was kicked off. It was incredibly close.

Then tonight, another measure, very close. A quick point to the closer rock and the second rock pushed out of play.
If I was on the losing end of that measure I would have asked to have the device run around a second time in the opposite direction to make sure. Too late you say? Instant controversy.

I would be registering a complaint at this point.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-05-15 09:57PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Curlers are generally good sportsmen. They accept whatever the official tells them - even if the official looks like they were trained at the Kenny Hall Curling Shack!

Oh so that's where you work😁

03-05-15 10:23PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke
The rock measure person is really playing with fire at this event. Earlier in the week there was a quick measure to see if a rock was biting the rings, and instantly the rock was kicked off. It was incredibly close.

Then tonight, another measure, very close. A quick point to the closer rock and the second rock pushed out of play.
If I was on the losing end of that measure I would have asked to have the device run around a second time in the opposite direction to make sure. Too late you say? Instant controversy.

I would be registering a complaint at this point.

Measures have been done too quickly I noticed today. Also, the stick should be run around clockwise then counter clockwise. The vice can insist on this and they should.

03-05-15 11:14PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Gerry, I meant to put a smiley on my post about the host province...but the fact that there's any exception to the "relegation" issue simply based on money rather than ability means that the idea hasn't been thought through...no smiley this time.

With Ontario being safe, and Northwest Territories helping out, it's doubtful that either Alberta or Manitoba will have to qualify. How do you think it would affect Ottawa's attendance if fans from either of those provinces found themselves in the same position as Scotties fans in B.C.? Advance ticket $ale$ are critical. I'm betting that nobody ever thought that a "Major" province would find itself having to qualify. If, by chance one of the "Major" provinces found itself on the outside, (maybe Halifax should be bidding for the Brier instead of hosting the World) do you think that this year's big TV ratings would be duplicated?

If Team Canada and the following year's host province finished at the bottom, then a team with as much as a 5-7 could find itself (more likely "themselves") in the qualification pool...but I'm sure that the "thinkers" have already thought about that, right?

For folks in the Maritimes and/or Territories, please understand that I'm not implying that you're any less "Canadian"-it's just that, when it comes to curling...

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 03-05-15 at 11:34PM

03-05-15 11:35PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
Gerry, I meant to put a smiley on my post about the host province...but the fact that there's any exception to the "relegation" issue simply based on money rather than ability means that the idea hasn't been thought through...no smiley this time.

With Ontario being safe, and Northwest Territories helping out, it's doubtful that either Alberta or Manitoba will have to qualify. How do you think it would affect Ottawa's attendance if fans from either of those provinces found themselves in the same position as Scotties fans in B.C.? Advance ticket $ale$ are critical. I'm betting that nobody ever thought that a "Major" province would find itself having to qualify. If, by chance one of the "Major" provinces found itself on the outside, (maybe Halifax should be bidding for the Brier instead of hosting the World) do you think that this year's big TV ratings would be duplicated?

For folks in the Maritimes and/or Territories, please understand that I'm not implying that you're any less "Canadian"-it's just that, when it comes to curling...

I couldn't care less if ontario wasn't in the brier in Ottawa I'll still be there no matter what because I'd rather watch the big names. Same when the Scotties were in Kingston but that year Ontario was Homan so of course I cheered for my province but usually I couldn't care less. Maybe it's just an ontario thing but we really don't have provincial pride.

03-05-15 11:43PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Pre-Quelegation

OK, how 'bout this scenario?

What if Ontario goes 1-1 along with two other teams in a Pre-Quelegation and gets sent packing.

Most-Bitter-Pill-to-Swallow, no?

03-05-15 11:48PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

Incredibly inept ice call on Carruther's final draw keeps Koe alive. There was a 6 foot gap there Reid and absolutely no reason to be anywhere close to Koe's front guard. Stunning collapse by Carruthers all week as his front end curled well and the team is 4-6 now.

03-05-15 11:49PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

Re: Pre-Quelegation

quote:

What if Ontario goes 1-1 along with two other teams in a Pre-Quelegation and gets sent packing.

Well rest easy because NT is going to relegated. You'll have to wait till next year to have the what if cry off.

03-05-15 11:49PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

what a wild night

saskatchewan gets 3 then promptly gives 5 back to ontario. ontario makes a weird shot to give a steal of and force and extra but win in the end

kevin comes up with a guard trying to draw in to the house on his last. but then reid comes up heart breakingly short on his final draw. seriously, my heart broke for him getting that close . an inch or 2 more and he wins

so now we have 4 teams still alive. im hoping for BC and alberta just for some more excitement. double tiebreakers if they do both win

03-05-15 11:50PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:

PERFECT, pre-quelegation

It will only matter if and when so-called major provinces are affected. So long as it's Atlantic or territories, nobody really cares. Having said that though I'm sure BC ladies now care.

03-05-15 11:52PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

attendance numbers are nowhere near the last time this was held in calgary. on track to finish with less than half

03-06-15 12:00AM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

McGregor-I feel the same way about the Brier-and I was at the Scotties in Kingston too. But Ottawa is only a couple of hours from Kingston (and I'm in Toronto and have family in Ottawa) so we're lucky. How many Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba fans will commit to a week off work if they don't know that their team will be playing...or do you think that they'd wait until after the "Q-Round"? As people who have been to a couple of Briers, we both know what the western fans bring to the party.

It's the advance ticket revenue that's going to be affected-and that revenue is important to the "Pre-Brier/Scotties" work that has to be done.

I'm sure that television ratings for this year's Brier will be "through the roof" just like the Scotties-but I wonder if the folks in Halifax are watching as much curling this week? Halifax isn't a "Major" TV market (no disrespect to Colleen Jones), but in a province like Ontario, the "casual" curling fan might think twice when choosing between the Brier and "The Real Housewives"... if there's no local talent.

The better and more comprehensive TV coverage becomes, the tougher it's going to be to sell tickets-the nature of the game makes it much easier to watch at home-but that's why the "Non-Curling" elements of the Brier are going to continue to become more important to the host city. There are people who spend the entire week in the "Patch" and only come out to watch their own team-sometimes.

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 03-06-15 at 12:09AM

03-06-15 12:05AM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:

Apparently not, I just learned Ontario has no provincial pride.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

03-06-15 12:06AM
gmay48 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gmay48 Click here to Send gmay48 a Private Message Find more posts by gmay48 Add gmay48 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gmay48
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

Measures have been done too quickly I noticed today. Also, the stick should be run around clockwise then counter clockwise. The vice can insist on this and they should.

umpires always measure clockwise, never counter clockwise.

03-06-15 12:16AM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Pre-Quelegation

quote:
Originally posted by Radio-Man

Apparently not, I just learned Ontario has no provincial pride.

Whoa pardner-the boys from Fenelon Falls just knocked off Saskatchewan and are tied with Manitoba and pre-qualifier PEI-albeit at 4-6...

03-06-15 12:16AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
McGregor-I feel the same way about the Brier-and I was at the Scotties in Kingston too. But Ottawa is only a couple of hours from Kingston (and I'm in Toronto and have family in Ottawa) so we're lucky. How many Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba fans will commit to a week off work if they don't know that their team will be playing...or do you think that they'd wait until after the "Q-Round"? As people who have been to a couple of Briers, we both know what the western fans bring to the party.

It's the advance ticket revenue that's going to be affected-and that revenue is important to the "Pre-Brier/Scotties" work that has to be done.

I'm sure that television ratings for this year's Brier will be "through the roof" just like the Scotties-but I wonder if the folks in Halifax are watching as much curling this week? Halifax isn't a "Major" TV market (no disrespect to Colleen Jones), but in a province like Ontario, the "casual" curling fan might think twice when choosing between the Brier and "The Real Housewives"... if there's no local talent.

The better and more comprehensive TV coverage becomes, the tougher it's going to be to sell tickets-the nature of the game makes it much easier to watch at home-but that's why the "Non-Curling" elements of the Brier are going to continue to become more important to the host city. There are people who spend the entire week in the "Patch" and only come out to watch their own team-sometimes.

Yeah very true, fans won't make the trip anymore if it's not worth it. Just like I would never want to take a week off to go out to Calgary, St John's maybe but because Newfoundland is awesome.

This will all backfire in curling Canada's face and will be rather amusing when it does. But no point crying about it every year until it does.

03-06-15 12:18AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by rick8end
Incredibly inept ice call on Carruther's final draw keeps Koe alive. There was a 6 foot gap there Reid and absolutely no reason to be anywhere close to Koe's front guard. Stunning collapse by Carruthers all week as his front end curled well and the team is 4-6 now.

Something to consider on arena ice that you don't see at your club. When you throw it outside the slide path in the fresh pebble, it actually will run faster than if you throw it down the middle. The other issue with picks happening down the middle too where the ice was more worn down.

The problem with Carruthers on the last shot is that if he took less ice, he'd be in a more unpredictable spot and wouldn't be as sure of the weight to throw. If it curled early, line would be fine, but the spot would be slower. If it ran straight, the weight he would need down the middle would go too deep.

By going wider, he was using a more predictable spot and likely expected it to curl enough when he put the broom down. Probably got it out a little and it just never came back far enough.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-06-15 12:23AM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: Pre-Quelegation

quote:

Whoa pardner-the boys from Fenelon Falls just knocked off Saskatchewan and are tied with Manitoba and pre-qualifier PEI-albeit at 4-6...

WOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!

Let's rip this joint!

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

03-06-15 12:28AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Whether you like it or not, the host gets a berth in all Olympic sports, in World Championships and curling is just doing the same.

As for a major province to get relegated, it's certainly part of the process and was definitely discussed. With the reviews of relegation going back through the years, all provinces have been in a position to be relegated at some point.

The thing is though, that being relegated is not a death knell for a province's chances. For any province in the event it takes two bad performances to miss the main event. Finish last in the first year and then fail to beat teams who would have a tough time winning more than 4-5 games on any given year.

As long as they fix the tiebreaker issue, which I'm sure will be reviewed, this is not something impossible to accomplish.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-06-15 12:40AM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

I'm starting to like the idea of 3 teams relegated. This would create a Pre-Brier of 6 teams. The top 2 teams (based on finish) are given a bye in first round and teams play a triple knockout event to determine 3 winners.

Ideally this would be played 2 weeks before the Brier, but I expect that creates other costs/logistics issues.

If it happens right before the event (like this year) triple might be too much, perhaps a double knockout instead (with 2 teams from B event).

Just brainstorming...

03-06-15 12:50AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Par

Wrong again, "Captain".

My argument has nothing to do with Nova Scotia. And I am not whining.

I am simply pointing out that there were ways in which this "problem" could have been "solved" without showing so much disrespect to some of the players -- and therefore to the game itself.

I am also pointing out that the people who disagree with me about this have nothing to offer other than BS and insults.

If you are not whining, I am not wrong!

03-06-15 12:50AM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
so now we have 4 teams still alive. im hoping for BC and alberta just for some more excitement. double tiebreakers if they do both win

If BC and Alberta win, four teams will finish with a 6-5 record -- that's Quebec, BC, Saskatchewan and Alberta. They rank (if I counted correctly) in that order (based on group W-L record, then H2H).

How would this double tiebreaker work? QC vs. AB and BC vs. SK, then winners play for the final spot?

03-06-15 01:12AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by milobloom
I'm starting to like the idea of 3 teams relegated. This would create a Pre-Brier of 6 teams. The top 2 teams (based on finish) are given a bye in first round and teams play a triple knockout event to determine 3 winners.

Ideally this would be played 2 weeks before the Brier, but I expect that creates other costs/logistics issues.

If it happens right before the event (like this year) triple might be too much, perhaps a double knockout instead (with 2 teams from B event).

Just brainstorming...

It will be a 4 team relegation round once Nunavut is ready to send a team. But I do like the idea of a longer relegation round. Maybe get it even televised.

03-06-15 01:37AM
Gerry
CZ Founder

6 Teams for 3 spots and 5 Teams for 2 spots using a Double Knockout Format would take the same number of draws as the current format (using 2 sheets).

03-06-15 06:18AM
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by StonePunter

How would this double tiebreaker work? QC vs. AB and BC vs. SK, then winners play for the final spot?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe under the new Pre-Quelegation rules, it's a total draw to the button result with three of the teams being immediately escorted out the Saddledome and sent packing(with their personal articles in a cardboard box). Now stop your whinging!