M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: SF -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 1:00pm ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
SWE (Wranaa) (EE)
GER (Kapp) Final
USA (Farbelow) 10  (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 11 of 30 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-04-15 07:23AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

I saw this mentioned after the win at the Ontario tankard. There needs to be one skip on a team not 4.

i am not so sure if its the front 3 calling their own game or just a lack of communication. but it needs to be worked out soon because they are 2-4 and frankly should be 1-5.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-04-15 07:27AM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Ventry

If there was a split into two pools, which in theory would make for more competitive games and not extend the event, why not 4 draws a day?

Or drop team Canada, and give reasonable consideration to including Nunavet with travel subsidies to compete in the NWT playdown. Now you have 13 teams, which on surface should be able to be done in a round robin.

People are already outraged enough over trying to change the brier, how would people react to a new pool format. Just drop team Canada and let Nunavut keep its team if they want after all they are a part of Canada. Even if it's only 3 clubs those 3 clubs are on canadian soil. The only problem with 4 draws a day is getting Tsn on board an option would be letting Cbc have a few games back. A 14 team tournament can work with the system in place now, plus a longer brier wouldn't be horrible.

03-04-15 07:36AM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie

Actually the event could accommodate more than 12 teams. The U.S. Championships (both men and women) were played in one week at Kalamazoo. The arena had 5 sheets and there were 4 draws a day (2 each). There was also a game on Monday morning-something that both the Scotties and Brier seem to avoid.

As for the possibility of having to play 3 games in one day? It's been done before in other spiels and would only happen once or twice.

Nunavut has sent rinks to national competitions before-remember, the territory has only been in existence since 1999.

Who's going to buy a ticket package for the Brier or Scotties if their province isn't playing? I said it before-try selling advance tickets for the Scotties in Vancouver...and one year you'll find one of the prairie provinces in the same boat. The fact that the "home" province gets a "free ride" mean s that one day some enterprising lawyer will see "discrimination" against one of the Territories-and yes, I know that Nunavut has only 3 clubs (I believe I was the person who raised that point) and has taken a pass on events before.

This relegation issue was never important until the pro circuit came into existence. If you want the 12 best rinks playing in the Scotties or Brier then, as I suggested, simply replace both events with another tour stop-there will be no need to restrict the entries to one rink per province/territory and the fans will flock to the event, just like on the pro circuit now. I received flak for making that suggestion before, but I'll stand by what I said.

The U.S./British Opens as well as the Masters aren't just PGA tour stops-the key word is "Open"...and some "name" golfers don't get to go-especially to the Masters.

If you want to call me "Old-Fashioned" go ahead...but for those who want change:

1. Have you booked time off to attended a Brier/Scotties before-including the "extra events"?
2. If your province wasn't at the Brier/Scotties would you still buy a ticket-and travel to wherever the event was being held?
3. How many pro events have you attended...and have you booked time off work and travelled to attend?
4. Should last year's Stanley Cup winner receive a "bye" into this year's playoffs? Folks in Los Angeles wouldn't mind...

Great post.

People do not appreciate that the 'national' aspect of the event is just as, if not considerably more, important than the level of curling.

I do not understand how reasonable consideration of this seems to have been removed off of CCA's agenda which is essentially makes the CCA an oxymoron.

03-04-15 07:41AM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by mcgregorm89

People are already outraged enough over trying to change the brier, how would people react to a new pool format. Just drop team Canada and let Nunavut keep its team if they want after all they are a part of Canada. Even if it's only 3 clubs those 3 clubs are on canadian soil. The only problem with 4 draws a day is getting Tsn on board an option would be letting Cbc have a few games back. A 14 team tournament can work with the system in place now, plus a longer brier wouldn't be horrible.

Sure, make the changes first, then let the secondary items such as TV coverage work itself out. Unless the CCA has become a for-profit business, their mandate is to make curling as inclusive as possible.

03-04-15 07:43AM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:

Sure, make the changes first, then let the secondary items such as TV coverage work itself out. Unless the CCA has become a for-profit business, their mandate is to make curling as inclusive as possible.

It's the tv contracts and sponsors that pay for the brier and Scotties to happen, lose them and you'll lose these events. Curling Canada is trying to market a sport like anyone else this involves tv contracts.

03-04-15 07:57AM
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

It's the tv contracts and sponsors that pay for the brier and Scotties to happen, lose them and you'll lose these events. Curling Canada is trying to market a sport like anyone else this involves tv contracts.

I don't see the TV contracts being lost with some minor tweaks to the event but there is a fundamental issue of letting your mandate be swayed by external interests.

It appears that any perceived devaluation of the brier 'product' overrides consideration for CCA's mandate. Profit margins and potential audience growth are not the mission of the CCA. Evaluating the potential decrease in viewership or ticket sales in PEI or NS vs. the increase in interest with the inclusion of Team Canada go against the principle of representing the interests of Canadian curlers.

03-04-15 08:05AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:

I don't see the TV contracts being lost with some minor tweaks to the event but there is a fundamental issue of letting your mandate be swayed by external interests.

It appears that any perceived devaluation of the brier 'product' overrides consideration for CCA's mandate. Profit margins and potential audience growth are not the mission of the CCA. Evaluating the potential decrease in viewership or ticket sales in PEI or NS vs. the increase in interest with the inclusion of Team Canada go against the principle of representing the interests of Canadian curlers.

This should be their mandate but let's get serious it clearly isn't any more. After all its not curling Canada's money tree funding these events. Funding isn't a secondary issues, it's a major one. And it wasn't the CCA who made the brier what it is today, it was Mcdonald tobacco.

03-04-15 08:18AM
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

This should be their mandate but let's get serious it clearly isn't any more. After all its not curling Canada's money tree funding these events. Funding isn't a secondary issues, it's a major one. And it wasn't the CCA who made the brier what it is today, it was Mcdonald tobacco.

I hadn't heard that funding is a major concern for the CCA. Are they in trouble financially? If that's the case, then they might as well get other top teams involved to boost the audience numbers.

03-04-15 08:24AM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

i am not so sure if its the front 3 calling their own game or just a lack of communication. but it needs to be worked out soon because they are 2-4 and frankly should be 1-5.

Matt Camm is calling the game when he shoots and he gets backing from Scott Howard most of the time and from Mathers somewhat.. It is easy to pick up on when you see this team live or watch them on TV

03-04-15 08:27AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I hadn't heard that funding is a major concern for the CCA. Are they in trouble financially? If that's the case, then they might as well get other top teams involved to boost the audience numbers.

Funding is alway a concern for the CC. A few years ago they lost money.
And now the host committees are asked to come up with big bucks just to host.
Ottawa guaranteed the cc 1 million for the trials in 2017.
Their financial statements are on their website.

03-04-15 09:55AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca

your such a tease ... give us the goods ...lol

I'm positive it would take way less time for you to find a video, than for me to type out a story.

03-04-15 10:00AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
its a team sport. .... if the skip doesnt want help its up to him to set the rules... or punt a player....."pretty sure all these guys like the input they get

if you get this far its probably working...

yeah, obviously mark likes the input or he'd say something about it. but, again they were on different wavelengths multiple times last night so they need to make sure they are on the same page with a shot before its thrown

03-04-15 10:01AM
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Do you have a link to their statements? I can't seem to get past their new branding which I'm sure wasn't cheap.

03-04-15 10:07AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:

Do you have a link to their statements? I can't seem to get past their new branding which I'm sure wasn't cheap.

If you read into to the re branding it wasn't because the CCA wanted to it was the government making them. After all curling Canada is bilingual, after reading this its clearly the government. Makes me wonder who is really behind equal representation and relegation.

03-04-15 10:29AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

yeah, obviously mark likes the input or he'd say something about it. but, again they were on different wavelengths multiple times last night so they need to make sure they are on the same page with a shot before its thrown

It's a very strange (and unusual) dynamic within Team Ont. It certainly seems like the front 3 are pseudo-calling the game, or at least questioning most of Mark's calls. Maybe it's something that usually works well for them, but there were clearly instances last night when it resulted in the shot thrown being different from what Mark was expecting it to be - and that just can't work. Long term, I think the best skips are typically the ones who are in control and decisive, and the rest of the team provides input when solicited.

03-04-15 10:32AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Your World

Matt Camm is calling the game when he shoots and he gets backing from Scott Howard most of the time and from Mathers somewhat.. It is easy to pick up on when you see this team live or watch them on TV

If he badly wants to skip then do a team Canada and move Kean down to vice.

03-04-15 10:38AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

If he badly wants to skip then do a team Canada and move Kean down to vice.

i dont think mark would be okay with playing anything other than skip. wasnt that what someone posted here was part of the reason for him and eppings teams switching up?. apparently john had called mark to play 3rd for him and mark didnt want to. unless he just didnt want to play with john

i kmow he dropped down to 3rd before but thats when he wasnt confident and felt it was needed. if he is feeling good i doubt hed drop down to 3rd for no reason

03-04-15 10:54AM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:

I've seen Fry and Jacobs leaving their bare hands on the ice which is even worse. At least the knee is covered, hands give off more body heat. But this is curling 101, don't put body heat on the ice.

If we're going to play "Broom-Nudge" then somebody should give Ryan Fry a WWE "Chair-Shot".

03-04-15 11:37AM
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by decade

They are a non-profit, not a business. If they lost money it should be due to unforeseen expenditures or less revenues than expected if they did a proper budgeting.

If revenues from TV go down, or any other revenue for that matter, they adjust their budget accordingly. They should not have to sacrifice meeting their mandate to avoid losing money.

If they cannot meet their mandate, why do they exist?

03-04-15 12:12PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie

If we're going to play "Broom-Nudge" then somebody should give Ryan Fry a WWE "Chair-Shot".

I'd prefer team Ontario deal with it on the ice rather then whine to officials afterwards. If the foot tap offended you then stick up for yourselves, don't go begging for sympathy. You think former great Ontario skips like the Howards, Middaugh, or The Wrench would put up with that? No chance.

With that being said, go Jacobs!

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

Last edited by Radio-Man on 03-04-15 at 12:43PM

03-04-15 12:15PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:

http://cloudfront6.curling.ca/wp-co...nual-Report.pdf

if this doesnt work try cc- about us- what we do
or do a google seach canadian curling association annual report

03-04-15 12:41PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:

SOME people. All of them whinging here.

Dropping Team Canada for Nunavut is a move backwards to mediocrity.

Why not call for a ban on all teams that play in the WCT?

Make it "A Brier of the people, by the people, for the people.

No uniforms. Red checked, flannel bush shirts. Curlers drinking beer on the ice.

Wait, isnt that what The Dominion Curling Club Championship is? That really fills the arena doesnt it?

Not all people are outraged there is finally a Team Canada.

03-04-15 12:46PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Curling now a contact sport?

This is really unprecedented, hitting another player with a broom, while the player's shot is being played. Closest thing I recall that comes even close to this was Ed Werenich's threat to a Swedish player to give him a broom enema at a worlds event many years back. No actual physical contact though.

The whack appears to be premeditated; what was he(N.O.) doing there anyway? Supposed to be standing off to the side, out of the way while the other team is delivering.

Time for Northern Ontario to crack open the curling rules and regs manual and read page one entitled "Code of Ethics and Fair Play"
Not exactly the ambassadors or the sport, are they....

03-04-15 12:58PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Code of Ethics, post 2

And another thing. During the game between Alta and N.O. I swear I heard Fry say to AB vice, something to the effect of "I see you're calling only in-turns for Koe, guess he can't throw and out-turn..." The announcers made some bland comment about it.

Again, I've never heard this sort of comment picked up by a mic, intended to get into the other guys head, overheard at a Brier before.
If I'm wrong about this I apologize, but let's review point 4 from the Curling Rules Code of Ethics:

"I will take no action that could be interpreted as an attempt to intimidate or demean my opponents, teammates or umpires"

03-04-15 01:01PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

So for all the people outraged by the relegation play/in round I'm guessing most of you would be satisfied if we went back to the old system and just added Nunavat to the Yukon/NWT relegation that has existed for decades. Where was all the outrage back then?

Combine Northern Ontario with Ontario (keep Team Canada) and let the territories water down the Brier/Scotties for the sake of Canadiana if we must. Twelve teams every year and the relegation happens like it always has. Way up north where almost nobody who lives in a Province ever cared about it.

I live in Ontario and am OK with getting rid of Northern Ontario. The women lived without it and if it fixes this then I'm ok with it.