M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: SF -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 1:00pm ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
SWE (Wranaa) (EE)
GER (Kapp) Final
USA (Farbelow) 10  (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 4 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
10-26-16 10:00PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

USCA resolutions

Recent USCA resolution says that "The Board, staff, coaches and HP athletes will not support, encourage or attend any functions or events (including but not limited to bonspiels) at non-member clubs...Any Board member, staff member, coach or HP athlete found to have supported, encouraged or attended any function or event at a non-member club may be asked to step down from that position which he/she holds."

USCA says the intent of this resolution is "to promote and protect the values and benefits of membership."

I am not hearing much support for USCA and this resolution at our club. What do you think?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

10-26-16 11:46PM
Curlrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlrock Click here to Send Curlrock a Private Message Find more posts by Curlrock Add Curlrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

This resolution is not a complete surprise based on the political environment surrounding the USCA/USOC. And yes, I now consider the organization to be one in the same. I challenge anyone on this blog to refute that. In reality it likely doesn't affect too many clubs. I'm not sure what percentage of clubs that don't pay USCA/USOC dues, but its probably not that high. The resolution probably stems from a couple of incidents over the past year or two, where someone involved in the USCA/USOC helped a nonmember club with ice or clinic. It's a shame that it has got to that point, but not that surprising.

10-27-16 12:40AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

For what it is worth, Chaska Curling Club is not a member of the USCA. Nonetheless, it was just fine with USCA to have Chaska host the USCA=sponsored College Curling Championship this past spring. However, it apparently was not so fine with USCA when USA and Norway curling teams played an exhibition match this fall at Chaska.

I think you might be surprised by how many clubs do not belong to USCA.

10-27-16 02:00AM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

So much for the long tradition of goodwill tours to Canada and Scotland. Any USA ladies on the Scot Tour next month a current USCA board member, staffer, coach, or HP player? I doubt a single one of the Scottish clubs they will spiel at are members of USCA. (Or is this ban only about clubs in the USA?)

Alice
Founder, IICC*

*See the Laurie Artiss ad pg. 36 in the latest USCA magazine.

Last edited by Alice on 10-27-16 at 02:11AM

10-27-16 09:01AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Alice
So much for the long tradition of goodwill tours to Canada and Scotland. Any USA ladies on the Scot Tour next month a current USCA board member, staffer, coach, or HP player? I doubt a single one of the Scottish clubs they will spiel at are members of USCA. (Or is this ban only about clubs in the USA?)

I'm hoping this is sarcasm Alice. This rule has to apply to only US clubs that dont pay dues. And as someone who pays dues and is a member of a dues paying club, I 1000% support this. Since my dues in effect help pay salaries and programs run by USCA, I dont like the idea of non-paying clubs getting benefits. Your clubs wants help, why should it get it is you dont pay.

With that said, I have no issues with good will tours, or promotions that are designed to grow curling in new areas. For example, there are a handful of states with no curling clubs, so if USCA wants to go to those places to try to help get a ground effort started, that seams reasonable to me.

10-27-16 02:09PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

I wish it was sarcasm.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...d-by-USCA-Board

While there is language about promoting future member club growth, it has nothing about overseas clubs or what's acceptable support of goodwill tours and very little detail about what are acceptable activities at non-member clubs *except* allowing only such activities only at clubs which are intending to become a member. At least there's a 30 day implementation delay to avoid having to fire anyone with non-member club commitments.

There's no prohibition about supporting curling "growth" events as long as they're not at non-member "clubs". So, if a group of curlers is just a "society" or "drinking fraternity" the current resolution would not necessarily apply now. But if they call themselves a "club" and are not subjected to all USCA and USOC rules, they'll be considered such dangerous things that USCA leaders must shun even friendly spiels with them as if they are lepers in Medieval times.

FWIW: If a club declines to join USCA it likely means its members don't need USCA support because they have other resources. If USCA leaders spiel with them or (gasp!) are members they will just keep themselves in the proverbial closet.

Last edited by Alice on 10-27-16 at 03:54PM

10-27-16 02:21PM
Diego is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Diego Click here to Send Diego a Private Message Find more posts by Diego Add Diego to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Diego
Harvey Hacksmasher

USCA will still support international travel. Please do not assume or make a statement unless 100% clear. Ask your BOD representative or ask Mr. Lepping if not sure on what this resolution is stating.

10-27-16 02:33PM
bensoder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bensoder Click here to Send bensoder a Private Message Find more posts by bensoder Add bensoder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bensoder
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by curlky

This rule has to apply to only US clubs that dont pay dues. And as someone who pays dues and is a member of a dues paying club, I 1000% support this. Since my dues in effect help pay salaries and programs run by USCA, I dont like the idea of non-paying clubs getting benefits. Your clubs wants help, why should it get it is you dont pay.

What benefits are these clubs receiving but not paying for?

10-27-16 02:54PM
Alice
Swing Artist

Diego,

Since when did the right to free speech die much less the Spirit of Curling which values so highly good fellowship? For the USCA to make non-member curling clubs pariahs for its leadership - even for friendly spiels on curlers' own time and dimes - how is that compatible with the Spirit, a rule which begins even the USCA rule book?

Alice

Last edited by Alice on 10-27-16 at 03:02PM

10-27-16 03:34PM
Diego is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Diego Click here to Send Diego a Private Message Find more posts by Diego Add Diego to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Diego
Harvey Hacksmasher

Wow!

All I stated was if you had any questions, or unsure of what this resolution was all about, please try and contact your USCA BOD rep or contact Rich Lepping.

No freedoms were harmed in the making of this or any other email.

I try and gather the facts before making conclusions. What a concept.

Jon

10-27-16 03:37PM
Diego
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by bensoder

Bensoder, please contact your MN rep to USCA, Cindy or Nick. They can better explain. You can find their contact information on USCA website at

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...s/Board-Members

10-27-16 03:58PM
bensoder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bensoder Click here to Send bensoder a Private Message Find more posts by bensoder Add bensoder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bensoder
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Diego

Bensoder, please contact your MN rep to USCA, Cindy or Nick. They can better explain. You can find their contact information on USCA website at

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...s/Board-Members

I'll just listen to the conference call tonight. If the questions that people have aren't answered then I'll call our reps.

10-27-16 04:15PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:

The benefit is simply support from official staff. There is a monetary value associated with the time spent by USCA staff. That monetary value is paid for by dues. It seems reasonable that as such, that type of support is reserved for clubs that pay those dues, or for new growth opportunities. For established clubs that say no to dues to USCA, that is perfectly their right. As such, they need to accept that the consequence if that they lose support from USCA.

On a side note, this might be a myth, but it is my belief that as part of your agreement in joining the USCA that if you run a spiel all participants must be a member of USCA or equivalent (ie they can eb members of Curl Canada).

10-27-16 04:16PM
Alice
Swing Artist

Jon,

I'm sure you gathered the facts as did I. The USCA link to the resolution can be read by all.

The idea that we'd need a staff or board member to interpret that link is interesting such as the line of "may" be asked to resign one's leadership job or volunteer slot if a leader dares to spiel at non-member clubs or even "promotes" the shunned ones in any way. What happens to a staffer if they write a USCA magazine article and mention the Margarita Curling Club? (Ye Gods! They're spieling at the Denver CC this year: a card-carrying USCA member club hosting a non-member spiel!)

Maybe some USCA leaders might care to comment on the rather Orwellian Big Brother tone in that link? The calls for "unity", the desire for all curling clubs in the USA to be dues paying members for the sake of "business".... It just strikes me as if USCA wants to be a monopoly or the North Korean goverment. A one party system where citizens dare not express opinions unless they strictly tow the party line.

Alice

10-27-16 04:25PM
bensoder
Knee-Slider

quote:

The benefit is simply support from official staff. There is a monetary value associated with the time spent by USCA staff. That monetary value is paid for by dues. It seems reasonable that as such, that type of support is reserved for clubs that pay those dues, or for new growth opportunities. For established clubs that say no to dues to USCA, that is perfectly their right. As such, they need to accept that the consequence if that they lose support from USCA.

On a side note, this might be a myth, but it is my belief that as part of your agreement in joining the USCA that if you run a spiel all participants must be a member of USCA or equivalent (ie they can eb members of Curl Canada).

Are the non-USCA clubs asking for any of these benefits? What support is being given currently? You mentioned the monetary value associated with the time spent by the USCA staff. Do you have an example of this occurring?

As for the second part... Not true.

10-27-16 05:03PM
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:

Are the non-USCA clubs asking for any of these benefits? What support is being given currently? You mentioned the monetary value associated with the time spent by the USCA staff. Do you have an example of this occurring?

As for the second part... Not true.

I have no evidence that they have asked for any of these benefits. As for an example... not sure. I'll throw out a hypothetical.

Lets say that there was a curling club called Curl Quahog that was a non dues paying club. Lets say that Craig Brown, who is a former Olympian, USCA board of directors member and HP funded curler (I know this is a separate pot), went and played in their spiel. Lets then say that Curl Quahog promoted this, took pictures, and used this to generate $10K in revenue.

A dues paying club might then think I bet we could generate some big money for our club if Craig Brown played in our spiel. And after some more thinking then wondered why did USCA allow one of their directors to play at a non-sanctioned club. If they are going to do that, lets rethink this, why are we paying dues? Curl Quahog got a $10K benefit, and we got nothing. I'm not sure that seems fair.

End the hypothetical.

As for trying to compare this to North Korea, this could not be further from the truth. There are numerous jobs in the US where you agree to give up freedom as a contractual obligation of the job. For example, if you are a military member who guards the tomb of the unknown soldier, you are not allowed to drink. If you are the spokesperson for Subway, you are not allowed to eat any other fast food.

At its roots, these are the issues with this proposal, and weigh in your feelings on this.

Should a non-dues paying curling club get direct support in any form (financial or otherwise) from USCA which is funded by dues paying members? And lets ignore exceptions for the time being such as international good will or trying to start up a club.

If you accept a job/position, do you have to accept the contractual obligations of that job?

To me the first question is obvisouly no, and the second question is obviously yes. And I would love to hear an argument to disagree with this.

10-28-16 01:19AM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:

The benefit is simply support from official staff. There is a monetary value associated with the time spent by USCA staff.

"Support from official staff" is pretty general -- and it does not answer the question of what sort of benefit does this official staff provide?

And yes, it is a myth, that a USCA member club is going to require all curlers who want to come to their club for a bonspiel to belong to a USCA member club. Do you think you club would really refuse to accept a bonspiel entry from US curlers who are not USCA members? WOW!

10-28-16 01:34AM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:

I have no evidence that they have asked for any of these benefits. As for an example... not sure. I'll throw out a hypothetical.

Lets say that there was a curling club called Curl Quahog that was a non dues paying club. Lets say that Craig Brown, who is a former Olympian, USCA board of directors member and HP funded curler (I know this is a separate pot), went and played in their spiel. Lets then say that Curl Quahog promoted this, took pictures, and used this to generate $10K in revenue.

A dues paying club might then think I bet we could generate some big money for our club if Craig Brown played in our spiel. And after some more thinking then wondered why did USCA allow one of their directors to play at a non-sanctioned club. If they are going to do that, lets rethink this, why are we paying dues? Curl Quahog got a $10K benefit, and we got nothing. I'm not sure that seems fair.

End the hypothetical.

Funny but we talked about a similar situation at our USCA member club but we had a different opinion. We think it would be great if, as in your example, Craig Brown wants to curl in a bonspiel at a non-USCA club and that helps generate interest in that club. Craig Brown, or anybody else for that matter, should be able to do that at whichever club he wishes. Our USCA club has absolutely no problem with that idea. To suggest that he should be punished for that is simply ridiculous.

What if the money that was generated in your hypothetical were just what that club needs to keep the doors open. What if the club is struggling, trying to keep dues low to attract members and can hardly afford for forward a big chunk of their dues to the USCA? Would you really prefer that the USCA prevent folks from curling there and helping the club raise some much needed funds, even if doing so might mean the demise of that club?

Ah, the spirit of curling is alive and well.

10-28-16 10:58AM
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

Funny but we talked about a similar situation at our USCA member club but we had a different opinion. We think it would be great if, as in your example, Craig Brown wants to curl in a bonspiel at a non-USCA club and that helps generate interest in that club. Craig Brown, or anybody else for that matter, should be able to do that at whichever club he wishes. Our USCA club has absolutely no problem with that idea. To suggest that he should be punished for that is simply ridiculous.

What if the money that was generated in your hypothetical were just what that club needs to keep the doors open. What if the club is struggling, trying to keep dues low to attract members and can hardly afford for forward a big chunk of their dues to the USCA? Would you really prefer that the USCA prevent folks from curling there and helping the club raise some much needed funds, even if doing so might mean the demise of that club?

Ah, the spirit of curling is alive and well.

We can agree to disagree about if he should be punished and that is perfectly fine. But to say he should be punished is 100% not ridiculous. As I mentioned above, any job has some sort of conditions and rules, and this would just be another to follow. An employee can absolutely agree to not follow the rules, but they then accept the consequence.

As for a club struggling to keep the doors open, I guess I am more cold hearted than you. A curling club is like any other business, its needs to meets its financial obligations. If dues which are less than $40 per person (think they were $31 last year) is the difference between the club staying open or not being open, then that club has far bigger issues that need to be addressed.

10-28-16 11:48AM
birvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for birvin Click here to Send birvin a Private Message Visit birvin's homepage! Find more posts by birvin Add birvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
birvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Rich Lepping's editorial in the last US Curling News addressed this issue a bit and also mentioned the issue of "under reporting". I assume this refers to clubs only reporting some of its members to USCA, e.g., only those members who opt-in, only adults, or only those curlers who plan to play in USCA championships.

Does anybody know how much of a problem under-reporting is?

10-28-16 12:57PM
youngen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for youngen Click here to Send youngen a Private Message Find more posts by youngen Add youngen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
youngen
Harvey Hacksmasher

Here is another hypothetical:

Lets say a new club in a large metro area, with potential for many members, leads the USCA on that it will become a member once open, and doesnt. And during this whole process they used the USCA and its resources to buy rocks through the rock program, used its paid ice technicians to help design the floor and plant systems for optimum ice, and used the USCA staff and/or its contacts in general for any help it could garner to get itself going.

If you were the USCA at that point, would you not feel used and betrayed enough to implement a policy to protect its membership benefits? If the USCA just bends over and takes it at that point, it sets up a precedence that other clubs may follow and break their relationship with the USCA.

I guess I don't see the problem with said policy.

10-28-16 04:57PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Re: USCA resolutions

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
Recent USCA resolution says that "The Board, staff, coaches and HP athletes will not support, encourage or attend any functions or events (including but not limited to bonspiels) at non-member clubs...Any Board member, staff member, coach or HP athlete found to have supported, encouraged or attended any function or event at a non-member club may be asked to step down from that position which he/she holds."

USCA says the intent of this resolution is "to promote and protect the values and benefits of membership."

I am not hearing much support for USCA and this resolution at our club. What do you think?

As an officer and former board president of a national non-profit, I find this resolution ethically disheartening. While I understand the idea of not giving away services for free, I don't see how it is ethically defensible to bar a member of the board from providing volunteer or even paid services that are not offered under the imprimatur of the organization and do not constitute a conflict-of-interest with the organization they serve. The resolution, as passed, would appear to bar any kind of association of a member of the board or its paid staff with any non-member club. I fail to see how playing in a non-member club sponsored event, or giving advice or a presentation to a non-member club could possibly be construed as a conflict of interest with organizational duties. Such interactions could in fact be a way to help encourage non-member clubs to become members and take advantage of offered benefits. Common sense, disclosure and transparency for such activities, and conflict-of-interest policy compliance should rule the day.

In my organization, this kind of non-member contact occurs frequently, and it is often used by board members/volunteers to recruit new organizational members. Services we provide free to members, we may elect to officially provide through our organization to nonmembers for a fee (which is waived if you join, of course.) The idea is to promote your organizational activities throughout the entire community, not just among members, while encouraging and incentivizing membership.

The USCA resolution is a kind of organizationally-sanctioned social shunning. Even if it is legally defensible--and I do not see how I could legally or ethically bar my own board members from associating with, advising, participating with, or supporting non-member entities--the optics are not good. And it may not be a policy designed to help grow membership.

Cheers.

10-28-16 05:14PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Should a non-dues paying curling club get direct support in any form (financial or otherwise) from USCA which is funded by dues paying members? And lets ignore exceptions for the time being such as international good will or trying to start up a club.

If you accept a job/position, do you have to accept the contractual obligations of that job?

To me the first question is obvisouly no, and the second question is obviously yes. And I would love to hear an argument to disagree with this.

A non-member club should not expect member club services for free, or for a fee except at the discretion of the organization. That's why there are member benefits, of course.

FYI, board members are uncompensated volunteers, and are bound by a conflict-of-interest policy. It would be highly unusual for a board member to have his/her professional associations outside board service restricted in any way beyond compliance with conflict-of-interest. I would not serve on a board that required such association restrictions.

Staff members are paid, and of course should comply with the terms of their employment contract, and conflict-of-interest. It is unusual for an employment contract to bar association with certain individuals or entities, except to the extent that it would violate conflict of interest.

Participating in a bonspiel, or offering solicited, uncompensated, friendly advice to a non-member organization, or even giving a talk or presentation (which might be an opportunity to recruit members) would not be the type of activity considered by most organizations as a conflict of interest. I would like to think in these situations, a board member or employee would take the initiative to encourage the non-member club to consider membership in order to gain access to certain benefits. If you don't reach out to non-members, they won't become members.

10-28-16 05:30PM
kdropkin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kdropkin Click here to Send kdropkin a Private Message Find more posts by kdropkin Add kdropkin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kdropkin
Harvey Hacksmasher

As a non-profit professional as well, I concur that RockDoc speaks very wisely. Hopefully the powers that be will recognize the errors of their way and make swift adjustments.

10-28-16 05:50PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Agree as well with RockDoc, isn't it better to find out why they left and remedy the situation vs. alienating them even more? I would use those potential board members that are welcome in the club to build bridges to get them back.

Unfortunately there are a lot of clubs wondering what they get for their $30 a person from the USCA. That $5,000 or $8,000 annually over a period of years could easily determine if a club can stay open.

The USCA needs to be more understanding, this heavy handed crap doesn't present very well to the members still paying.