M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: SF -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 1:00pm ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
SWE (Wranaa) (EE)
GER (Kapp) Final
USA (Farbelow) 10  (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-15-14 11:36PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Pro Tour Fallout

Check this article by Brian Belfry. The Pro Tour seems to have had an adverse effect on what used to be considered something that any Canadian could do.

http://therecord.blogs.com/in_the_h...h-the-pros.html

I'm old enough to remember that, even with folks like Doogie & The Wrench, folks would still enter at the club level for a chance to play against the Big Dogs and maybe get lucky.

It looks as if that sense of adventure is gone. They can't get full division fields.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-16-14 01:12AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

This is entirely normal, and totally ok in my books. Sure, a big part of curling culture has kind of up and vanished. However, in what other sport does Joe Anybody harbour unrealistic dreams of winning provincial/national/world championships? The Olympics have meant that countries are heavily invested in securing curling medals. As a result we're seeing our sport pushed to the highest level and greatest degree of entertainment in its history. That's a tradeoff I'm willing to make, as someone who is not going to put in the time and effort to become one of the best curlers in the world. New events like the Dominion Club Championship (is it called the Travelers' now?) have opened up a space for teams to keep competing with others at their level, kind of like amateur championships in other sports.

12-23-14 04:28PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

first off, there is no 'pro tour' in curling-regardless of what any one at the WCT tries to tell you.

We can't even be laughingly considered 'semi-pro'. In a true professional sport there are no federally funded athletes. Its a level playing field where you win/get paid based on your results. Currently this playing field does not exist.

Second, if we were professional, a large majority of teams could make a living playing the sport. This also doesn't exist.

In the past 40 years little has changed in competitive curling. Average entry fees are still the same as then as is the average purse. Team entry fees still make up 65-70% of an events prize money pool while, on average, only 20-25% of the field makes the money round.

Third, compared to 20 years ago, there are fewer competitive events in the WCT and, when you remove the slam events from the schedule, less overall money.

And I say remove the slams because they weren't present 20 years ago and they cater to small, 16 or fewer, team field size.

Pro tour? what pro tour?

12-23-14 10:14PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

You list 5 teams. 5 teams making some money does not make a profession. Also, not sure why you feel that this is tax free? I am not Canadian, so perhaps tax laws are different up north, but in the US this would definitely be taxed.

But remember that the purse won does not equal complete profit. There are travel expenses which add up quickly, do you pay a coach, do you pay a physical trainer. And if it were a profession, then you have other real world issues (aka benefits) that need to be paid for like insurance, retirement funding etc. Then there is the fact that at best this "profession has at most 6 months of earning potential. Take your best case example, $10K per person per month. If this was in the USA, this would amount to about a $50K per year job, a decent living of course. But not the type of job that would pay for the mount of travel you would need to succeed. And this is for the most profitable team.

Of course, that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

12-24-14 12:06AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Curling is going through an evolution from amateur into more pro status and there are always going to be growing pains associated with it.

The Olympics has drastically changed the sport, giving the best teams the opportunity to work towards professional status as it's what's now required to keep up with the best in the world.

Hockey went through the same thing, where a playdown system was previously in place for the World Championships and Olympics, which evolved into an amateur National Team Program and eventually into allowing professional players to compete. Hockey seems to be doing just fine for it.

Curling has never seen this much television coverage which drives revenues for the teams as a lot of sponsorship is derived from bonuses for appearing on television games. While Tour purses have been somewhat stagnant (though Grand Slams are changing that), the sponsorship revenues for these teams has grown to a point that they can focus on curling full time during the season.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

12-24-14 12:11AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by curlky
You list 5 teams. 5 teams making some money does not make a profession. Also, not sure why you feel that this is tax free? I am not Canadian, so perhaps tax laws are different up north, but in the US this would definitely be taxed.

The Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) ruled that any event that leads towards the Olympics is considered an amateur event and no taxes are paid on these winnings. Any event that offers points is considered as leading to the Olympics as it's part of the qualifying process.

There was a court case where Wayne Middaugh and teammates went to court over unreported earnings and this was the decision at the end of it.

As fresca mentioned, it would be a losing proposition for the CRA if they were to tax winnings as every team on tour that loses money could write off those losses as well.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

12-24-14 04:53PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I'm wondering just how much those independent sponsors are providing? While it may look good at these events, once they get to the Brier or World Championships (or Olympics) all bets-and sweater patches) are off.

I'm noticing that more and more rinks are using sweater numbers, like hockey players-couldn't that space be put to better use with more sponsorships? Curling is a sport that hardly needs sweater numbers-it's more like golf than hockey.

12-24-14 05:39PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

There was a court case where Wayne Middaugh and teammates went to court over unreported earnings and this was the decision at the end of it.

As fresca mentioned, it would be a losing proposition for the CRA if they were to tax winnings as every team on tour that loses money could write off those losses as well.

If the CRA requested Wayne Middaugh and team pay taxes, and it took them to court, it implies that the CRA believes that it's taxable income. I haven't seen the updated income tax helpful handout mention that Bonspiel winnings are now tax exempt.
Wonder what would happen if the other 800,000 or so Canadians all declared their "Curling Bonspiel" expenses prior to this decision as a business write-off.
By the way, some people have contempt for the CRA. But not me. Just saying...

12-24-14 06:29PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I believe that's the reason CRA sniffed around the tree then moved on...

12-24-14 08:29PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

First, if you want to claim expenses, you have to show that there is a high chance you will win money. The CRA will not allow Joe Schmoe to claim expenses.

Second, there is more to the Middaugh case than most people know.

The CRA was not singling out and picking on Middaugh.

12-24-14 09:49PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by CaptMorgan
First, if you want to claim expenses, you have to show that there is a high chance you will win money. The CRA will not allow Joe Schmoe to claim expenses.

Second, there is more to the Middaugh case than most people know.

The CRA was not singling out and picking on Middaugh.

I believe that in a sport like curling it would be difficult to differentiate between teams as to who has a reasonable expectation of making money. All teams pay their entry fee and there's enough upsets happening where a lower ranked (Joe Schmoe) team wins once in a while against a team who does make money.

Would suggest winning a game or two like that shows the expectation to make money.

12-25-14 02:25PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

I recall discussing with semi-pro poker guys that essentially Revenue Canada expects you to pay taxes on "winnings" if it is your primary source of income. This is a reason that nearly any poker player or curler in this country will also have a "regular" job.

Interestingly, purses aren't much better than they were 20 years ago. In fact, considering inflation, many are worse today. Heck, they used to play in Car Spiels! However, CCA/Canada Sport funding and corporate sponsorship has much improved.

In 1995 Kerry Burtnyk won the Brier. I recall they had no or limited sponsorship to start the season and lost $10,000, after travel and expenses. This despite playing in bonspiels with similar purses to today.

It's still a battle, but not close to what it once was. As Gerry says, the more TV the merrier (for sponsors).

Happy Festivus!

12-25-14 02:41PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

Oh, and on the original topic of a "fallout".

The new level of elite teams is, in my estimation, only one reason for declining entries in zones.

We've had an elite level in the top provinces for many years, long before this "fallout" began. Only 4 teams not named Martin, Ferbey, Ryan, Lukowich or Koe have won Alberta since 1983. Ontario has only had 7 non-Howard, Werenich, Morris, Middaugh champions in 35 years. One was Mike Harris (Olympic Silver Medal), one was Peter Corner (longtime lead for Team Russ Howard).

Less juniors equals less older players. Older stalwarts are packing it in and not enough players and teams to fill their seats. Demographics is still the primary issue with this sport. But if growth in Asia takes off (and it very well could), it won't likely matter much anyway. Our best will be heading there to play on their tours, a la Euros in the NHL.

圣诞节快乐

12-25-14 05:15PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I mean, i have always thought and never understood why curlers cant make a living out of this when you can for virtually anything else. but i think this move needs to be done in a way that doesnt discourage teams from forming and younger curlers from continuing on after juniors. I feel like thats kind of whats happening now. not with everyone but its definitely happening. i also feel like the relegation at the brier and scotties is going to add to that. i was having a conversation with a man at a robins donuts and we were watching the womens world championship a couple years ago and he asked me why these athletes do this. why do they compete . my answer was because of this, because of the world championship. you feel like you have accomplished something. i feel like if that opportunity is taken away then people will start asking why. I personally dont love the idea of pool but if its the alternative to relegation i'd take that over relegation. maybe a team from PEI never will win the brier but they have the right to hope for it.

i also feel like something needs to be done to help lower ranked teams get into the slams and get used to arena ice. i liked the idea of having a second tier event at slams . right now i do believe slams are a good thing but also part of the problem. getting into slams is a reward almost for hard work but not every team has the time and money to travel every other week and earn the points to make the slams.

there are good things happening in curling and positive changes being made but there's also still some problems that need to be worked out. im 50/50 on this shift myself.

Last edited by misty1 on 12-25-14 at 05:20PM

12-25-14 08:12PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Misty - I have no idea what you mean by 50/50. That's kinda wishy-washy immo . . .
Personally, I'd like to see a series of regional tourneys in almost all provinces where the Top 12 to 16 Canadian mens teams are excluded. The remaining entry (24 to 32 teams) are composed of open entries from any province and the prize monies are decent, maybe even a car spiel (leases) BUT the winner gets auto-berthed into a WTA tour event. Thus, by decree you'll get more competition for the right to take on the monsters - perhaps eventually becoming one yourself!

The ladies is probably not as inviting. After the top 4 or 5 Canadian ladies teams there's a real drop-down in talent - - - Jones, Homan, Sweeting, Middaugh, Anderson - if you exclude the top 12 to 14 ladies teams you're really running a fawn-fest but hey, why not? Try it out, see what happens!

well , as i said i see the good the growth is doing and the necessity for delevoping pro teams but i can see how its bad in that teams will get left behind.

but can i ask why the winning team of a curling tournament would get a wild card into the wta tour, which is a womens tennis tour.

12-26-14 03:56PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Unlike golf, curling does not have international sponsors who put up millions each week-and golfers don't have to split their money 4 ways (just pay the caddie his percentage). Curling also cannot fill even the smallest arena due to the fact that fans get a better show on TV.

Canada simply does not have enough major corporate sponsors available anymore-free trade has taken many jobs to places where they've never heard of the game-and never will.

If any money is going to be generated in the future it is going to have to come (I believe I've said this before) from the USA-and the USA, although showing some growth now, won't really jump on the curling bandwagon until (unless) they see Olympic Gold. That's why I keep asking about competitive teams from South of the Border-I'm not being disloyal to Canada, I'm looking for Americans who can actually win-not just show up (I'm gonna get hell for that comment) and get American busine$$' attention.

As for global recognition-Asia has 3 countries that can compete-but they only have 2 spots in the Worlds. There's only one dedicated curling club south of the equator (New Zealand) and, although their "Canadian-Kiwis" were runners-up in the Seniors a couple of years ago, their seasons are backwards and it's a heckofalongway to the next-nearest country (check the map-Australia is not exactly "next door") and the Aussies curl on hockey ice. I've mentioned it before-Asia and the Pacific should not be combined-we need to see either Kangaroos or Kiwis (doing the Hakka) at the worlds.

Flame away...

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 12-26-14 at 04:01PM

12-26-14 08:08PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
Unlike golf, curling does not have international sponsors who put up millions each week-and golfers don't have to split their money 4 ways (just pay the caddie his percentage). Curling also cannot fill even the smallest arena due to the fact that fans get a better show on TV.

Canada simply does not have enough major corporate sponsors available anymore-free trade has taken many jobs to places where they've never heard of the game-and never will.

If any money is going to be generated in the future it is going to have to come (I believe I've said this before) from the USA-and the USA, although showing some growth now, won't really jump on the curling bandwagon until (unless) they see Olympic Gold. That's why I keep asking about competitive teams from South of the Border-I'm not being disloyal to Canada, I'm looking for Americans who can actually win-not just show up (I'm gonna get hell for that comment) and get American busine$$' attention.

As for global recognition-Asia has 3 countries that can compete-but they only have 2 spots in the Worlds. There's only one dedicated curling club south of the equator (New Zealand) and, although their "Canadian-Kiwis" were runners-up in the Seniors a couple of years ago, their seasons are backwards and it's a heckofalongway to the next-nearest country (check the map-Australia is not exactly "next door") and the Aussies curl on hockey ice. I've mentioned it before-Asia and the Pacific should not be combined-we need to see either Kangaroos or Kiwis (doing the Hakka) at the worlds.

Flame away...

and i do get that part. curling needs sponsors to dump money into it. i just dont get why they have such trouble. i mean..people can actually get more money playing proffessional darts or bowling than they can as a curler..thats jut screwed up to me

i honestly dont understand whats happened to US curling. from 2003- 2008 they made the final on the womens side 3 times and won it once. on the mens side they might not have made the final but they were in the playoffs 3 times. its not that long ago that the US was right there among the worlds best and then suddenly its as if the embarrassment of the 2010 olympics sent everything backwards.

Last edited by misty1 on 12-26-14 at 08:11PM

12-27-14 12:34AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

U.S.A. Curling is a perfect example of where club curlers can still get to the Olympics!

And look how that works.

I like the Canadian system. If you are not good enough, you do not get to represent. I also disagree with school systems that do not fail students that are failing and giving participants in track & field events medals for participating.

12-28-14 07:33PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

It worked pretty damned well...

It's not a coincidence that the decline of US curling coincides almost perfectly with the increase of USA Curling's "We have to focus our resources on fewer teams, and make sure they are the ones protected to represetnt us at Worlds" approach.

12-28-14 07:54PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
It worked pretty damned well...

It's not a coincidence that the decline of US curling coincides almost perfectly with the increase of USA Curling's "We have to focus our resources on fewer teams, and make sure they are the ones protected to represetnt us at Worlds" approach.

Would suggest it has a lot more to do with the professionalization of the rest of the curling world. China, Japan and Korea all have become curling powers, Russia is strong in the women's game and improving in the men's, Scotland, Sweden and Norway send full-time curling athletes. Switzerland uses a points system to ensure teams are competing against the best teams in the World. Even countries like Denmark and Czech Republic have posted strong Worlds results recently.

It's these countries that are spending MORE on curling within their countries and having MORE control over how their teams are put together that are having sustained success at the International level.

12-28-14 08:02PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Those countries needed to do that because there was no base to work from. They couldn't just throw a nationals and let the winners go, because they had no teams to speak of, no clubs to work from (at least not many).

On the other hand, the USCA has the 2nd most curlers in the world, and it had demonstrated success with the "Regionals to NAtionals to Worlds" method.

No one is saying that they should not spend money on coaches and the like. Great, find the good teams and shower them with resources...rock on. However...make those teams *prove* that they are the best on the ice by exposing them to qualifiers, to the Crucible of a Real Nationals (as opposed to what we have now, where the top two teams just know they have to come in top 4 and beat the other and voila, they are fitted in Red White and Blue).

More importantly, *CHILL OUT*. There's 10 nations who curl at a level well enough to make it to the Olympics. On average, that means we should get a Gold once every 20 years. A Medal should come about once every 8 years (across both genders). We won our last one...hey...look...less than a decade ago...

Two Olympics without a medal does not require rehashing the entire program and protecting the chosen team even more. YEt that is what they are doing. It ain't gonna help.

12-28-14 08:47PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Would suggest it has a lot more to do with the professionalization of the rest of the curling world. China, Japan and Korea all have become curling powers, Russia is strong in the women's game and improving in the men's, Scotland, Sweden and Norway send full-time curling athletes. Switzerland uses a points system to ensure teams are competing against the best teams in the World. Even countries like Denmark and Czech Republic have posted strong Worlds results recently.

It's these countries that are spending MORE on curling within their countries and having MORE control over how their teams are put together that are having sustained success at the International level.

i wouldnt really call any of the asian countries "curling powers". that would imply that they are consistently at the top of the game and challenging for world medals and even gold and thats just not the case. china really only had 3 good years on the womens side and the men, while coming close to a medal have not yet grabbed even one and are more often than not middle of the pack teams instead of actual contenders. korea is to inconsistent and japan..well what exactly have they done. moe meguro is the only memorable japanese team at worlds in recent memory. that team really should have been in the final and who knows from there in 2008.but even they only had the one good year

they are getting better and they might one day be powers but you most certainly can not classify them as world powers yet.unless your definition of power is very loose.

and you sound kind of surprised about denmark having strong world results lately but are you maybe forgetting that they have a world champion on the womens side and have had decent results on the mens side before this.

12-28-14 08:49PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Those countries needed to do that because there was no base to work from. They couldn't just throw a nationals and let the winners go, because they had no teams to speak of, no clubs to work from (at least not many).

On the other hand, the USCA has the 2nd most curlers in the world, and it had demonstrated success with the "Regionals to NAtionals to Worlds" method.

No one is saying that they should not spend money on coaches and the like. Great, find the good teams and shower them with resources...rock on. However...make those teams *prove* that they are the best on the ice by exposing them to qualifiers, to the Crucible of a Real Nationals (as opposed to what we have now, where the top two teams just know they have to come in top 4 and beat the other and voila, they are fitted in Red White and Blue).

More importantly, *CHILL OUT*. There's 10 nations who curl at a level well enough to make it to the Olympics. On average, that means we should get a Gold once every 20 years. A Medal should come about once every 8 years (across both genders). We won our last one...hey...look...less than a decade ago...

Two Olympics without a medal does not require rehashing the entire program and protecting the chosen team even more. YEt that is what they are doing. It ain't gonna help.

what worries the US is not the fact that they didnt get a medal its the fact that they have barely even won games in the last 3 olympics (with the exception of fenson's run to bronze in 2006).

12-28-14 10:20PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

i wouldnt really call any of the asian countries "curling powers". that would imply that they are consistently at the top of the game and challenging for world medals and even gold and thats just not the case. china really only had 3 good years on the womens side and the men, while coming close to a medal have not yet grabbed even one and are more often than not middle of the pack teams instead of actual contenders. korea is to inconsistent and japan..well what exactly have they done. moe meguro is the only memorable japanese team at worlds in recent memory. that team really should have been in the final and who knows from there in 2008.but even they only had the one good year

they are getting better and they might one day be powers but you most certainly can not classify them as world powers yet.unless your definition of power is very loose.

and you sound kind of surprised about denmark having strong world results lately but are you maybe forgetting that they have a world champion on the womens side and have had decent results on the mens side before this.

Take a closer look at what the Asian women's countries are doing. Korea, Japan and China are either winning or qualifying regularly in Tour events. The men are still playing catchup, but the Chinese Men showed in the Olympics they're on the verge of a big breakthrough and the Japanese/Koreans aren't far behind with the amount of travel they put in.

12-28-14 11:19PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Take a closer look at what the Asian women's countries are doing. Korea, Japan and China are either winning or qualifying regularly in Tour events. The men are still playing catchup, but the Chinese Men showed in the Olympics they're on the verge of a big breakthrough and the Japanese/Koreans aren't far behind with the amount of travel they put in.

Like i said they are good and getting better but earning a lot of money in curling doesnt make them world powers. They need to accomplish something in the events that actually matter such as the world championship and olympics. Yes china has but only one team and it takes more than team to be considered a power. They might get there but they arent now.

Last edited by misty1 on 12-28-14 at 11:22PM