M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: SF -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 1:00pm ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
SWE (Wranaa) (EE)
GER (Kapp) Final
USA (Farbelow) 10  (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2015 Scotties Tournament of Hearts

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 9 of 22 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-16-15 11:41PM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
How many times out are teams allowed? Seems like Richard Hart has made more appearances than coaches in prior years?

2 per team, but you can go out when the other team calls its time out too.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-16-15 11:42PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Team Jones gained control early with their three ender and were challenged throughout but never gave up that control.

02-16-15 11:49PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Can't sat Canada didn't deserve to lose that game, too many missed opportunities early. This team has been grinding the whole year and this game proves they'll need to pick it up if they want to three peat. Now Alberta and Manitoba have the jump on them, as they'll most likely have to beat Alberta to get in the coveted 1 V2 game. I don't see that happening this year so it looks like they'll be going the Sisyphus route through the playoffs, and we know what usually happens if you get to the finals (mountaintop) coming from that game....

Double peal and you win. Both teams out of sorts but often saved by clutch shots.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

02-16-15 11:59PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
Team Jones gained control early with their three ender and were challenged throughout but never gave up that control.

Strategy and Emma's early struggles helped contribute to that, not to mention an open hit roll out by Rachel. I know people love Courtney's brushing (I do to!), but every time she has to make a shot I get nervous....never came close to thinking that with Ali K, who you could pencil in for 85% + every game. Courtney will get there, but probably not this week.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

02-17-15 12:00AM
Senior Skip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Senior Skip Click here to Send Senior Skip a Private Message Find more posts by Senior Skip Add Senior Skip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Senior Skip
Knee-Slider

Richard Hart

The idiot Hart just cost Rachael her winning streak by suggesting she draw in the tenth. Why even give Jennifer the runback when the double peel would have pretty much assured victory. As Russ said the first rule of curling is "control the front"

02-17-15 12:05AM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Yeah that was a really odd decision since they had shot stone on the right hand side edge of the eight foot. Keep the centerline clear and it's an easy deuce

02-17-15 12:07AM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Homan-Jones was an entertaining game. I don't get the 9th end last rock decision by Jones. Jones was not 100% convinced they were shot, so she went for the double for 2-3 instead of the draw for 1-2. Despite black book stats, elite teams still prefer down 1 with to up one without. I thought the draw for one give you a 60% win chance plus more if the measure works out. If the measure is 50-50, your win chance must be around 75%. You have to make the double for 2 more often than 50% to break even with the draw, which has got to be a 90+% make. It was not a really easy double.

Interestingly, Homan quickly conceded the one without measure to get hammer in 10, a 40% win chance more or less.

Milo will probably straighten this out later.

02-17-15 12:07AM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Other than a pizzy/greedy decision by Jones in the 9th, I thought she wasn't out of sorts. Homan missed an early double to give JJ her three - Curling Zone turning point!

Well Manitoba definitely played better, but man, it just felt to me that Canada had no business being in that game so late, yet there they were with a chance to win in the extra..I think Manitoba should have put that game away earlier. And if Canada, double peels the guards in ten they most likely win. Russ talked about tough shots for the skips, but neither were on their A-game imo.

02-17-15 12:13AM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Re: Richard Hart

quote:
Originally posted by Senior Skip
The idiot Hart just cost Rachael her winning streak by suggesting she draw in the tenth. Why even give Jennifer the runback when the double peel would have pretty much assured victory. As Russ said the first rule of curling is "control the front"

Classic case of a couch influencing a team to play his style, when all they needed to do was play their style to win. THAT'S BAM-BAM CURLING!

02-17-15 12:16AM
CurlingNut1994 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingNut1994 Click here to Send CurlingNut1994 a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingNut1994 Add CurlingNut1994 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingNut1994
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yeah the draw call in 10 was just stupid. Jones had 2 guards that were nicely set up for the runback double. All that shot did was give Jones an out when you were looking good for the win and she took full advantage of it. In cases like that you have to look at the team you're playing when deciding what shot to play.

02-17-15 12:27AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

Double peel and I don't know what MB can do to prevent a deuce other than hoping for a CAN miss. Surprised a world class team like Homan did not realize that, but Rich Hart clearly failed in his job as coach tonight by not recognizing the situation.

MB has a nice route to the 1-2 game now, but as seen with PEI vs AB tonight, there usually will be a game or two against a 'weaker' opponent that comes down to a last shot.

02-17-15 12:29AM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:

Courtney is a monster on the brush, agreed but she's killing her two big girl friends, Weagle and Miskew as they struggle to keep up with Joanne's furious brushing. Anyways, Officer massacred Courtney today. McEwen and Weagle fought to a standoff (as expected, they're the two best leads in the bidness)
Miskew finally got the best of Lawes - thought Lawes fell victim to a couple poor Jones line calls but Emma (who had a couple key misses herself) stuffed her something like 88 to 75%

JJ was the only one on the sheet to go under 70(69%) but she was there when the chip stacks were in play.

Funny how Miskew was quick to concede the one to Jones in the 9th - after Jones made that horrid angle-wedge decision!

Miskew always wins the % tables in the week, but seems to struggle a bit in the playoffs....What can you do?, she's probablt the best third in the game, definitely from a shot-making perspective, but she gets sreaky in the big games...She'll have to figure it out, too damn great not to.

02-17-15 12:36AM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: Richard Hart

quote:

Earl always gently steered Rachel/Emma to their final decision. Hart kinda imposed himself, I'd say.

I sometimes think Jones could use a high-performance coach!

Very true, that being said, Rachel should have done what she did for the deuce in five and put the hammer down....Hart convinced her that lying two with one behind the guards was the better result. Big Mistake.

02-17-15 01:12AM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Jones is probably in the drivers seat to get to the 1v2 game. I don't really see anyone who can seriously threaten her other then Sweeting, but she's got two potential losses in Jones and Homan yet to come. So if I were to rank the chances of getting to the 1-2 game of "the big three". I'd go:

1)Jones
2)Sweeting
3)Homan

Lawton will likely get the #4 with potential threats from, NO, Ont., etc.

02-17-15 01:20AM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Don't want to be a total apologist for Hart but in the extra end he deferred to Rachel & Emma.

You could hear both of the girls talking about Jones having not had a draw to make in several ends. They were counting on JJ to flub her draw. They were wrong.

Homan could have promoted her shot stone to tee-line mid-4 protected, leaving Jones a short angle double spill to score the winning point.

Rachel chose to make Jones draw half the four (JJ ended up on the hole) - THERE WAS SOMEONE IN THE BOOTH FAMILIAR WITH SHORT & UNMADE ANGLE RAISE DOUBLES - her name Cheryl Bernard.

Mind you when Cheryl donated the gold medals to Sweden she really didn't have the kind of heavy shot-buster that both Homan and Jones possess (especially Homan)

But considering Jones & Lawes bizarre confusion with line/weight calls on many of their hits - I believe she would've had a slightly better chance for JJ to jam!

I definitely think they made the right call in the EE, that was a no-brainer for me over the short-angle raise.

Anyway, they may meet again.

02-17-15 01:56AM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:

Jones and Homan put on a show reminiscent of Howard vs. Martin, Martin vs. Ferbey, Hackner vs. Ryan, Stoughton vs. Martin, etc.

I think Jones experience and ability to play a variety of games helped her win out over Homan last nite.

Especially with Jones being virtually coachless and Jen's odd strategy in big situations!

I wonder how Sweeting would have handled the situation. Different, for sure.

Tough to say how Sweeting would have handled it.

For me the biggest takeaway was that team Canada were definitely not at there best and chasing the whole game. Having a chance to win that game was pretty remarkable and something they will take to heart. I'm not sure how much experience had to do with the outcome to be honest. We're harping on poor Richards coaching suggestion in the tenth end, but it ultimately comes down to the player. If Rachel didn't see the benefits, or even believe in that call, she wouldn't have played the shot. Live and learn, I just hope she gets another crack at Jones, particularly in the 1v2.

Last edited by Radio-Man on 02-17-15 at 02:02AM

02-17-15 05:35AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlky
So in the 6th end, with Homan's first skips rock, she came around the guard and hit Jones stone. I saw Jones doing something that I thought was not allowed. Have I been wrong all along? Her stone was stationary, and she started sweeping her stone, so that once it started to move, the ice was already swept to allow for more movement. I thought the rule was that you could not sweep a stationary stone, that you had to wait for it to move first, and then you could sweep the moving stone.
Later on Kaitlyn Lawes was seen warming up the ice on the Team Canada rock before it was tapped back behind the line. The amount it moved was critical as the rock may have been a counter had Kaitlyn Lawes not swept it before she was legally allowed to. She's played too many games to plead ignorance of the curling rules, so the question is, why cheat? Some would say, (John Morris, Russ Howard, cough, cough) that it didn't make a difference. I would say, then why do it? No one likes the appearance of a cheater..

02-17-15 05:37AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Cheaters sometimes prosper

This is a rule that needs to be enforced, and the rulebook needs to be changed. Why should it be the onus of the offending team to point out the cheaters, making them look petty? When I assure you it's not a petty point.

Maybe this could be one of Vic's questions to the crew. Show the replay, then Vic asks, "hey experts, what's the rule on sweeping a rock before it's in motion", wherein they answer, "it's against the rules and therefore cheating". Perhaps a public shaming will put a stop to this behaviour.

Last edited by johnnysmoke on 02-17-15 at 05:58AM

02-17-15 10:04AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Re: Cheaters sometimes prosper

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johnnysmoke
[B]This is a rule that needs to be enforced, and the rulebook needs to be changed. Why should it be the onus of the offending team to point out the cheaters, making them look petty? When I assure you it's not a petty point.

Maybe this could be one of Vic's questions to the crew. Show the replay, then Vic asks, "hey experts, what's the rule on sweeping a rock before it's in motion", wherein they answer, "it's against the rules and therefore cheating". Perhaps a public shaming will put a stop to this behaviour.

My reply. I did notice Kaitlin warming up the ice and was shocked at the obvious "against the rules". I didn't notice Jones warming up the ice on one of Rachaels shots though as the poster mentioned earlier. It was a great game to watch. Congrats to the winner. Hope we'll see them again this week. They put on quite a show.

Last edited by albetts on 02-17-15 at 10:06AM

02-17-15 10:45AM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

I think the most that can be said about the CA-MB game was that it was a moderately interesting game played between two excellent teams. There were several important misses by both teams and no particularly great shots. One of the teams won a close game in an extra end. No long term conclusions can be made from anything that occurred.

02-17-15 10:57AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

That game showed that 2 great teams can bring there skill level down to average when there is no real prize at the end.

02-17-15 12:08PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:

So Little K has to get into position, not only working around a big gangly girl like Emma to clear her position but getting her mechanics set for a go at the stone. I think part of it is Kaitlyn warming up her mechanics without actually putting brush down.

I cant speak for the Kaitlyn one, as I didn't witness that one, put for the Jennifer one, she was 100% on the ice warming it, not moving mechanics in the air without contact.

02-17-15 12:14PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Why were there no draws this morning/ Civic lunch? Give the girls a break?

02-17-15 12:36PM
bianc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bianc Find more posts by bianc Add bianc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bianc
Harvey Hacksmasher

Disappointed to see how New Brunswick is playing with the absence of Andrea Crawford. It appears New Brunswick may be a one team province.

02-17-15 12:44PM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Double header on CurlingGeek for the afternoon games today:

Newfoundland vs. Northern Ontario

and

Ontario vs. BC

Games start at 2pm CT, 3pm ET, 4:30pm in NFLD.

https://games.curlinggeek.com/