M: USA Curling Under-5 National Championship
Chaska, MN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 1:00pm CT
Mellin 11  8th
Meyer  Watch Live Curling!
Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-31-22 02:06PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
I check for Scotties stuff here. Seems every thread is getting hijacked by covid stuff. Can there be a thread, just for that? Asking for a friend? One comment about a covid case in the event thread, then move over for policy, societal behavior stuff? LeSigh.
What a barn burner Miskew/ Njegovan. Is it the ice or the absent skippers?

Miskew made at least 6 bad calls and then couldn't execute. Maybe we now know why she is content being Homan's 3rd.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-31-22 02:58PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Miss miss miss miss miss. It's like the trials all over again.

01-31-22 03:16PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Team Crawford is the real deal. Like McCarville, they play fewer slams and their rank doesn't reflect their ability. I'd like to see a new strong team at the worlds, but as a MB fan - well, I've got some others I also cheer for.

01-31-22 04:31PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

There have been several instances where easy draws in the late ends have been missed by a long ways. Pebble breaking down that bad? Concerning.

01-31-22 04:39PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by guido
There have been several instances where easy draws in the late ends have been missed by a long ways. Pebble breaking down that bad? Concerning.

Maybe but that doesn't explain all the missed open its and draws in every other end.

01-31-22 04:50PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel

Maybe but that doesn't explain all the missed open its and draws in every other end.

There are misses all through every game, in all events.
I’m only talking about normally easy draws to win or tie games.

01-31-22 05:56PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

There are misses all through every game, in all events.
I’m only talking about normally easy draws to win or tie games.

Yes. And my response is that there is a large number of missed draws period not just in last ends. So it's a draw problem not a final-end ice problem. Einarson missed a fairly simple open draw early in her game against Walker earlier. Walker missed a game winner against Quebec earlier in the week but if you watched her other games she missed more draws than she made by a wide margin. Walker is 71% for all draws so far; Carey is 66%; Barker is 46%; Black is 71%; etc.

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 01-31-22 at 06:00PM

01-31-22 06:24PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

1+1=3

01-31-22 07:13PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel

Yes. And my response is that there is a large number of missed draws period not just in last ends. So it's a draw problem not a final-end ice problem. Einarson missed a fairly simple open draw early in her game against Walker earlier. Walker missed a game winner against Quebec earlier in the week but if you watched her other games she missed more draws than she made by a wide margin. Walker is 71% for all draws so far; Carey is 66%; Barker is 46%; Black is 71%; etc.

I agree with you. They are missing all throughout the game. Don’t think it’s the ice, rather user error.

01-31-22 09:17PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

quote:

I think TV pressure is a real thing for many of these teams. I know Walker has been in many tournaments, but she still looks jittery under pressure. Same with Einarson. It makes for entertaining, albeit not very impressive, curling.

I think someone needs to give Vic a coffee. His usual boundless enthusiasm is in short supply this week.

As for Team Homan, they are doing the same thing they were doing with Homan in the side. They are playing more difficult shots then they are capable of making reliably. It all works great if you curl 90%, but they aren't quite that good. Also, Flaxey started the tournament looking very shaky.

01-31-22 09:32PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

Some of the late misses I am seeing are a mystery. Skip throws a draw, sweepers leave it until 3/4 of the way, and it comes up short. These sweepers are good judges of weight. Just find it peculiar.

Last edited by guido on 02-01-22 at 12:07AM

01-31-22 09:37PM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

The Nunavut/Northern Ontario situation in the 7th. NU hitting against three. Sweeper falls and tumbles into the three NO stones, and makes slight contact with the thrown rock after that rock made contact with the rock it was hitting.

Watched the replay a number of times. The result of the shot, without any doubt in my mind, was either going to be 1 for NO or 1 for NU. More likely 1 for NU.

The rules afford NO to effectively determine the result. NO, with the umpire’s opinion saying to take 3, chose to take 3. Of some relevance is the fact they were down 5-3 at the time.

I’m of two minds: (1) don’t fall on a rock and expect anything good to happen, (2) NO had the choice to put the game in the most likely situation, or use the rules to take 3 points that they never were getting, and they chose the latter.

01-31-22 10:07PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Hack Weight
The Nunavut/Northern Ontario situation in the 7th. NU hitting against three. Sweeper falls and tumbles into the three NO stones, and makes slight contact with the thrown rock after that rock made contact with the rock it was hitting.

Watched the replay a number of times. The result of the shot, without any doubt in my mind, was either going to be 1 for NO or 1 for NU. More likely 1 for NU.

The rules afford NO to effectively determine the result. NO, with the umpire’s opinion saying to take 3, chose to take 3. Of some relevance is the fact they were down 5-3 at the time.

I’m of two minds: (1) don’t fall on a rock and expect anything good to happen, (2) NO had the choice to put the game in the most likely situation, or use the rules to take 3 points that they never were getting, and they chose the latter.

And with all of the talk of sportsmanship and teams deciding what to do when a rock is burned. Selena and her team showed how it should be done in a previous game and Krista and her team showed the exact opposite.

01-31-22 10:22PM
bc-fan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bc-fan Find more posts by bc-fan Add bc-fan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bc-fan
Knee-Slider

Apparently NO not into sportsmanship..losing to NU they take 3 when it should have been 1 for NU???

01-31-22 10:34PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by bc-fan
Apparently NO not into sportsmanship..losing to NU they take 3 when it should have been 1 for NU???

At best it would have been 1 for NO.

That one burned rock determined the outcome of the game.

So who decides what happens? the non-offending team or the umpire?

02-01-22 12:11AM
guido
Super Rockchucker

At no point did I hear team N.O. Ask for the official. He came down the ice, explained the situation and gave N.O. 3.
The outcome was unknown. To us it looked like 1 either way. We had a replay to watch. I don’t believe they did??????
Was N.O. Supposed to decline the penalty??

Last edited by guido on 02-01-22 at 12:57AM

02-01-22 12:47AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

NO vs. Ontario burned rock decision was awful. No way it should have been 3 for NO. Lost respect for McCarville. If Nu had been in contention at all might have argued. Pretty sure that call isn't made if NO is playing a team in contention.

02-01-22 12:58AM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by alex
NO vs. Ontario burned rock decision was awful. No way it should have been 3 for NO. Lost respect for McCarville. If Nu had been in contention at all might have argued. Pretty sure that call isn't made if NO is playing a team in contention.

It was not N.O.’s decision

02-01-22 01:19AM
GregJP
Swing Artist

quote:
At no point did I hear team N.O. Ask for the official. He came down the ice, explained the situation and gave N.O. 3.
The outcome was unknown. To us it looked like 1 either way. We had a replay to watch. I don’t believe they did??????
Was N.O. Supposed to decline the penalty??

Yeah, in the spirit of true sportsmanship that supposedly makes curling different than other sports NO should have used their right as the non-offending team to get to a fair decision.

If it really is just an umpire's call then the announcers should stop with the BS that the teams settle any burnt rock situations.

I thought the umpire only got involved if the teams didn't agree or just didn't know. The fairest resolution would have been to give NO a steal of one. It was obvious that they weren't getting any more than that until she burned the rock.

02-01-22 01:22AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

quote:

It was not N.O.’s decision

Umpire only involved if teams don't agree. It is hard to accepte how the umpire got it so wrong though. If he was being paid would hopefully be fired. Hope he feels awful, was he even watching what happened?

Last edited by alex on 02-01-22 at 01:25AM

02-01-22 01:31AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by alex

Umpire only involved if teams don't agree

People are free to make up their own ideas of what sportsmanship/fair play means, and when an umpire may/may not intervene in a game, but here's what the Curling Canada rules for Officiated Play actually says:

"Fair Play is consistent demonstration of respect for umpires, an acceptance of their decisions and a steadfast spirit of collaboration with them. [...] Where so authorized, the Chief Umpire may directly intervene at any time in any game and give such directions concerning conduct of the game and adherence to the rules as they consider proper. [...] Teams may defer their non-offending options to an umpire. The Umpire will make a determination in accordance with equity and fair play. "

For what it's worth, TSN says that the official involved was Curling Canada Executive Chief Umpire Brett Waldroff. He had also been Chief Umpire at WCF-sanctioned events (e.g. 2021 World Men's; see: https://curlit.com/PDF/WMCC2021_ResultsSummary.pdf ).

Last edited by curlingclips on 02-01-22 at 02:04AM

02-01-22 05:20AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I agree with other posters who say either 1 for NU or 1 for NO. That decision screams homerism. Maybe they should have let the 2 skips WITH the official watch the same replay all the rest of watched 10 times. Every time I watched it was 1 for NU, and at the absolute worst 1 for NO. I’m sure it would have been a different outcome.
Could there be some McKarma?

We all know the difference from right, wrong and opportunistic. They chose to let the official be the bad guy here when they knew the right/better call instead....... without getting the official involved in the first place. JMO from what I saw.

02-01-22 07:24AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I agree 100%. The non offending team should have asked to see a replay. Don’t try that with some of the world teams they’ll eat you alive. Feel so bad for NU. What’s with all the officials at CC competitions anyway? The slam event have maybe one or 2 on the ice at the most.

02-01-22 07:47AM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Slams are more player-centric including measuring.

I was extremely impressed with Andrea Crawford last night. She curled 86% but some of her late game shots were extremely difficult. A remarkable draw to win, huge blank in 9. Great stuff. She's +5 on opponents despite just curling 79% so far.

02-01-22 11:04AM
GregJP
Swing Artist

I'm confused. Who has the final say? The non-offending team or the umpire? When does the umpire get involved or not get involved? Could Krista have rejected his decision and made a fairer one?