CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
M: European Curling Championships C-Division
Dumfries, SCO
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: W1 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 7:00pm GMT

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-05-20 09:03AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca Was going to head out to eric coy arena for the 8:30 am draw but on the Viterra site it only lists 1 day passes at $35. So thats $70 for me a nd my wife to watch 1 preliminary game. Curious why there isnt a draw ticket for $15.

Was $10/draw or $30 for the day at RiversScotties last week, and the final day, since it was televised, was only $10 for the day. Guess Viterra committee doesn't mind having empty seats. I am not sure why CurlManitoba isn't using YouTube and benefiting from the advertising revenue, like the other Provinces. I, speculate that they are too lazy to build relationships with alternative television producers and like the caché of using a mainstream network who does the setup and ad work, and has control. Or maybe they wrote a really bad 10-year deal, some time ago. It is definitely baffling.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-05-20 09:49AM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

So, I just saw the SFM so I had fun in seeing who would get the last spot if Bottcher and one of McEwen/Gunnlaugson wins their province.

Horgan would pass Howard if he makes the SF or better.

Calvert can't pass Howard as far as I can see. He falls short by one point or so.

TL;DR:
1)Bottcher loses Alberta and McEwen loses Manitoba
WC: Bottcher vs McEwen
2) Bottcher loses Alberta and McEwen wins Manitoba
WC: Bottcher vs Gunnalugson
3) Bottcher wins Alberta, Gunnlaugson wins Manitoba, Horgan makes the SF or Final
WC: McEwen vs Horgan
4) Bottcher wins Alberta, Gunnalugson wins Manitoba, Horgan finishes outside of the top 3
WC: McEwen vs Howard
5) 3, but McEwen wins Manitoba
WC: Gunnlaugson vs Horgan
6) 4, but McEwen wins Manitoba
WC: Gunnlaugson vs Howard

I think that covers every possible wild card scenario. If there is one I'm missing that isn't covered please tell me

02-05-20 09:50AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelski

Was $10/draw or $30 for the day at RiversScotties last week, and the final day, since it was televised, was only $10 for the day. Guess Viterra committee doesn't mind having empty seats. I am not sure why CurlManitoba isn't using YouTube and benefiting from the advertising revenue, like the other Provinces. I, speculate that they are too lazy to build relationships with alternative television producers and like the caché of using a mainstream network who does the setup and ad work, and has control. Or maybe they wrote a really bad 10-year deal, some time ago. It is definitely baffling.

With Manitoba being such a curling powerhouse, I thought the decision to only show the Semis and Finals to be very shortsighted. Smaller provinces such as NB and NS have streamed their provincials. Alberta is looking into streaming their tankard (asked on FB).

Last edited by MeaghanEdwards on 02-05-20 at 09:57AM

02-05-20 03:13PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

There is definitely an audience for provincials streaming their events. The past two weeks of coverage is proof of that. Heck, the Canadian Jr Round Robin games got thousands of views.

Manitoba is definitely the more interesting event when compared to Alberta. I'm most interested to see how Jacques Gauthier does this week, after Tyler Tardi made the BC Final last Sunday.

02-05-20 03:33PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

The Curler (aka RCoutts) posted and opening draw photo on FB and the stands were EMPTY. Opening draw at RiversScotties was 80% FULL - in Rural MB, not Wpg. Something is wrong!
Also, shout out to Swan River Jr grad, Carter Watkins (3rd on Ryan Wiebe team). They are young - Jrs.. also strong, and won their opener. Enjoy the linescore viewing folks. It's not so bad.

EDIT: FYI (icydnk) Twitter hashtag - #viterra2020 will get you video clips and interviews of the Manitoba Viterra Championships - so, with linescores, you get something.

Last edited by nelski on 02-05-20 at 05:00PM

02-05-20 07:26PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca day 1 viterra mens at eric coy Imo seeding top teams against newcomer works for the teams with a track record but is grossly unfair to the sport Not an equal playing field and hurts the game
What do you recommend? A play-in for the unseeded teams? Maybe they are pleased to line up against some of these teams then never throw a club rock, nor enter a MCT event anymore. Dunno.

02-05-20 07:41PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Outsider looking in. MB do you really need 32 teams. 20 too many. Need a degree in mathematics to follow the draw. Good gravy. Double knockout to championship round to more playoffs. Really?

02-07-20 11:34AM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Outsider looking in. MB do you really need 32 teams. 20 too many. Need a degree in mathematics to follow the draw. Good gravy. Double knockout to championship round to more playoffs. Really?
I love it. I even made a big spreadsheet that updates the brackets every time I enter a name and highlights the matches that started in the last few hours. It reminds me when I was a kid, and I'd be in a baseball tournament and I'd stand at the brackets for 30 minutes figuring out what happened if we won or lost or won then lost or lost then won.. whatever. It's glorious.

02-07-20 11:49AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I guess if MB has always had 32 teams, and everyone likes it, no need to change it. That first double knockout round though could lend to upsets of the big guys. Lots of pressure on the favourites

02-07-20 12:22PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I elaborated in the MB thread so won't re-bore you. But, This 32 rink event is the Prize. the Motivator. the Launch pad. and it does no harm to the bigwigs.

02-07-20 02:38PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I elaborated in the MB thread so won't re-bore you. But, This 32 rink event is the Prize. the Motivator. the Launch pad. and it does no harm to the bigwigs.

I think this is great...I wish Ontario would do it...it would save time and I think this year, Ontario had around 32 teams enter play downs..

02-07-20 06:41PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

32 teams works for manitoba. i have no problem with that number. i just think they should go to simple triple knockout not double knockout then double knock in the playofs.

lets be honest, manitoba is by far and away the deepest province in curling. there are about 6 mens teams you could see doing well at a brier . that number shrinks down to 3 or 4 in alberta. 2 in ontario and saskatchewan then 1 everywhere else. its for this reason that manitoba is really the only province where such a large entry list works and makes sense

02-07-20 11:06PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1 32 teams works for manitoba. i have no problem with that number. i just think they should go to simple triple knockout not double knockout then double knock in the playoffs.]

I think of it as a 32 team double knockout play-in to qualify for the 8 team double elimination race for the 4 team page playoff.... all in one glorious bonspiel.

02-08-20 12:14AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Appelman was up 7-2 and managed to hold on for an 8-6 win over Bottcher. I still don't know much about Appelman but I'm getting worried for Bottcher.

02-08-20 12:25PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

So if Horton makes the semis and Bottcher loses the CF (MB & AB) Howard is out of the wildcard. Gunner is also a factor too.

02-08-20 03:28PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

horgan out

horgan and calvert both went down unexpectedly early. horgan at least made top 6. calvert didnt even qualiy

kind o ollows the trend with calvert o starting the season of on ire but by the midway point they cool down and then at provincials they usually go out early

calvert would be one o those teams i could see making a change. it really does seem like calvert would benefit from bringing a veteran on for a season or 2 and learning rom them

02-08-20 09:51PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Well Howard will be cheering for McEwan tonight...and Bottcher.

02-08-20 11:20PM
Bulls Eye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bulls Eye Find more posts by Bulls Eye Add Bulls Eye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bulls Eye
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by UnattachedFC
So, I just saw the SFM so I had fun in seeing who would get the last spot if Bottcher and one of McEwen/Gunnlaugson wins their province.

Horgan would pass Howard if he makes the SF or better.

Calvert can't pass Howard as far as I can see. He falls short by one point or so.

TL;DR:
1)Bottcher loses Alberta and McEwen loses Manitoba
WC: Bottcher vs McEwen
2) Bottcher loses Alberta and McEwen wins Manitoba
WC: Bottcher vs Gunnalugson
3) Bottcher wins Alberta, Gunnlaugson wins Manitoba, Horgan makes the SF or Final
WC: McEwen vs Horgan
4) Bottcher wins Alberta, Gunnalugson wins Manitoba, Horgan finishes outside of the top 3
WC: McEwen vs Howard
5) 3, but McEwen wins Manitoba
WC: Gunnlaugson vs Horgan
6) 4, but McEwen wins Manitoba
WC: Gunnlaugson vs Howard

I think that covers every possible wild card scenario. If there is one I'm missing that isn't covered please tell me

What if Bottcher wins Alberta and Grassie wins Manitoba? Does McEwen play Gunnlaugson in that case?

02-09-20 09:51AM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Bulls Eye

What if Bottcher wins Alberta and Grassie wins Manitoba? Does McEwen play Gunnlaugson in that case?

Yes I believe so...

02-09-20 12:34PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend Not counting volunteers, mini-media presence & immediate family I counted about 25-30 fans at Eric Coyle Arena. $35 for Sunday morning coffee a bit much. You can get an ex-large tipple/tipple at Timmies for under 3 bucks. Nice job, Resby! Nice job, Curl Manitou!
It must be a wpg problem. Well, pricing is a factor, and yeah, wpggrs are doing that. There are LOTS and LOTS of avid fans in the city but the organizers have not figured out the price/profit relationship. Get them in the door, for starters! Sheesh.

02-09-20 12:55PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Pretty sure the Keystone in Brandon would be full - but again when it is televised on Sunday and winter, I would rather stay home and watch, no matter the cost.

I was just thinking of the days Manitoba was much more deep of a field.

Geez, I miss these guys: Stoughton, Burtnyk, Duiguid, Peters.

Always in for a great Provincial and great representative when these guys went at it.

Think Jeff makes a better curler than announcer - lol

02-09-20 04:16PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

McEwen first rock taking risk way beyond what was warranted. Big mistake could be costing him the whole game. Poor percentage play.

02-09-20 06:06PM
DrWho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DrWho Click here to Send DrWho a Private Message Find more posts by DrWho Add DrWho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrWho
Harvey Hacksmasher

Can anyone please update.
I can not get live feed.

Is Gunner looking good in last end or is McEwen building a big end?

02-09-20 06:07PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by DrWho Can anyone please update. I can not get live feed. Is Gunner looking good in last end or is McEwen building a big end?
I've just got linescores - but up three is usually good.

02-09-20 06:09PM
DrWho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DrWho Click here to Send DrWho a Private Message Find more posts by DrWho Add DrWho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrWho
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
I've just got linescores - but up three is usually good.

That is what I have.
Thought someone watching Sportsnet could give a mid-end update.