ENG (Harsch) Final
LTU (Paulauskaite) 11  (6)
SWE (Norberg) Final
SUI (Rueetschi-Schlegel) (8)
SCO (Kennedy) Final
JPN (Yoshimura) (8)
CAN (Froud) 12  Final
LAT (Kapostina) (6)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Canada’s handicap in international curling

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-07-23 11:55AM
Frozencanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frozencanuck Click here to Send Frozencanuck a Private Message Find more posts by Frozencanuck Add Frozencanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Canada’s handicap in international curling

Curling teams in Canada are formed with the idea of going to the Brier/Scotties. That means all teams must conform to provincial residence requirements. That means Canada cannot put together the best possible teams. Name one other international teams sports that restricts their members in this way. A Canadian team, playing in an international competition should be made up of the best Canadian players.

Last edited by Frozencanuck on 04-07-23 at 12:00PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-07-23 12:14PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Send the top 15 world teams to the worlds every year, including 4-6 Canadian teams, and see how Canada does. The advantage an Edin or Mouat or even someone like Retorunaz have being able to get year after year of international experience cannot be matched when people like Dunstone need to win a Brier or Trials first. With no international scope parity the current system of 1 team per country is just anti-Canada.

04-07-23 08:05PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

You might be right, but I tend to think that it might be a lazy opinion. Lets take Gushue. If he were not locked by Province, how would he change the team? Who would he cut and who would he pick up? Is there an obvious answer? Is EJ a step down from Brett as an example.

If I asked you to make any Canadian teams you wanted to, how would you form the top handful of teams?

04-07-23 08:37PM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
Send the top 15 world teams to the worlds every year, including 4-6 Canadian teams, and see how Canada does. The advantage an Edin or Mouat or even someone like Retorunaz have being able to get year after year of international experience cannot be matched when people like Dunstone need to win a Brier or Trials first. With no international scope parity the current system of 1 team per country is just anti-Canada.

That’s because the players are representing a country and playing under the flag. They’re not playing for themselves.

In the FIFA World Cup, you can make about 3 teams worth of Brazilian players that would qualify for the tournament, but that’s not allowed either.

04-07-23 10:41PM
Frozencanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frozencanuck Click here to Send Frozencanuck a Private Message Find more posts by Frozencanuck Add Frozencanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

If Allstar selection means anything, consider these two teams. Matt Dunstone, BJ Neufeld, Brett Gallant, Ben Hebert. The other Allstar team was Brad Gushue, Tyler Tardi, Brent Laing, and Geoff Walker

04-08-23 01:43PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse

That’s because the players are representing a country and playing under the flag. They’re not playing for themselves.

In the FIFA World Cup, you can make about 3 teams worth of Brazilian players that would qualify for the tournament, but that’s not allowed either.

The world cup happens every 4 years. I'm fine with the Olympics having 1 team. But the worlds are not representative of the sport as they are now. And I think it hurts the sport when several of your top teams aren't even in competition. There's a reason the slams don't do this.

And it's not just a Canadian problem. It kills growth world wide. Countries just make one team and let them do everything. If you're a Swedish curler and want to dream of playing in an Olympics you can forget about it unless Nik Edin picks you. Scotland had to be strong armed into letting the very very good Ross Patterson near a worlds.

04-08-23 02:23PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:

The world cup happens every 4 years. I'm fine with the Olympics having 1 team. But the worlds are not representative of the sport as they are now. And I think it hurts the sport when several of your top teams aren't even in competition. There's a reason the slams don't do this.

And it's not just a Canadian problem. It kills growth world wide. Countries just make one team and let them do everything. If you're a Swedish curler and want to dream of playing in an Olympics you can forget about it unless Nik Edin picks you. Scotland had to be strong armed into letting the very very good Ross Patterson near a worlds.

and to add; Ross Paterson already had world/european experience to boot.

04-08-23 02:40PM
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Back to curling. If I was an elite player (god help us), I would form the best team I could without regards to residency, curl the world curling tour, ignore provincial play downs and go for one of the 3 wildcard teams at the Scotties, or Brier. Wild card teams, like Team Canada, are not bound by provincial residency.

04-08-23 02:53PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Frozencanuck
Wild card teams, like Team Canada, are not bound by provincial residency.

Have they made this declaration officially? I know they did for Team Canada starting this year, contradicting their past declarations, but I'm not aware that they made a similar declaration for wild card teams.

04-08-23 04:47PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Back to curling. If I was an elite player (god help us), I would form the best team I could without regards to residency, curl the world curling tour, ignore provincial play downs and go for one of the 3 wildcard teams at the Scotties, or Brier. Wild card teams, like Team Canada, are not bound by provincial residency.

I asked a while back about residency rules for Wild Card teams, and no one said. Do you have a link to this, because I could only find clarification on team Canada. For the record, I'd agree with your process, I just dont think at the moment there is the exemption for wild card teams like there is for team canada..
But yes, play the tour, slams, canada cup if that ever comes back in some form, etc. etc.. Especially if you already have brier (and world) titles, you might want to move onto the Olympic goal..The trials has no residency rules to my knowledge, so surely teams could make this work if they stopped caring about the Brier.

04-08-23 05:12PM
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

I know Team Canada has no residency rules, Curl Canada will get to thinking about wild cars, when a good team challenges them!

04-08-23 05:22PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

We should start a new thread reiterating the history of all wildcard teams there ever were. There hasn't been that many.

My understanding is that initially, when it was first proposed, it was mentioned that maybe it should only be eligible for teams that lost a provincial final (i.e. WC1 Team Lawes & WC3 Team Walter both out of MB at 2023 Scotties wouldn't have been possible, and the play-in game in 2020 was Fleury vs Jones who were both from MB, so who knows if this version was ever implemented). I think eventually it was understood that you only had to register for a provincial playdown, you didn't even have to compete in it (hence WC1 Team Gushue at 2022 Brier).

Cancellations due to COVID-19 made things a bit complicated, but I think every wildcard team that ever was can trace its eligibility to their participation/registration in the last provincial playdown held in a province, with one exception. I believe WC2 Team Zacharias at 2021 Scotties never participated in any MB Scotties playdown (2021 was not held, and in 2020 they were winning World Junior), and got in strictly on CTRS.

I could be wrong, though. Like I said, I think we should start a new thread and gather all the facts. No opinions, just facts with references that can be checked.

//edit: I forgot that 2018 Brier wildcard play-in game was McEwen vs Gunnlaugson, both eliminated in MB playdown. And 2018 was the first time wildcard was introduced. So no, I don't think it was ever required that you had to be a loser at a provincial final to be eligible for wildcard.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-08-23 at 05:46PM

04-08-23 10:21PM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:

The idea of the world championships in any team sport is to decide which country is best at that sport. Not which individual team, which country.

Start letting multiple teams from the same country in and you’re no longer playing for the country. Just for yourself.

There are plenty opportunities for the top Canadian teams to prove themselves on the world stage, no need to go messing with something that already works.

04-09-23 12:00AM
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

But it doesn’t work. If Curl Canada had not winked at team Canada in the Brier, either Harden or Walker wouldn’t be there, One of them would have been replaced by a NL player and there is a good chance Gushue would not be at the worlds. Curl Canada just acknowledged that residency rules limit the talent

04-09-23 02:47AM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

If you want to see the best canadian teams competing with the worlds best, then just check out the Players Championship, it starts on Tuesday.
You have all the playoff teams from this week, plus four Canadian teams, another Scottish and American team.

04-09-23 04:48AM
naterock_11 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for naterock_11 Find more posts by naterock_11 Add naterock_11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
naterock_11
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
But it doesn’t work. If Curl Canada had not winked at team Canada in the Brier, either Harden or Walker wouldn’t be there, One of them would have been replaced by a NL player and there is a good chance Gushue would not be at the worlds. Curl Canada just acknowledged that residency rules limit the talent
Is that what you want? I'm just asking, no judgment. For Gushue/Nichols to be hamstrung by the fact they play for Newfoundland? People are salty they've skirted the residency rules by winning the Brier, but let's look at it in the opposite direction. Do you want to lose Gushue/Nichols because they're from Newfoundland? Force them to join other provinces because they're from a small one?

04-09-23 06:49AM
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911
If you want to see the best canadian teams competing with the worlds best, then just check out the Players Championship, it starts on Tuesday.
You have all the playoff teams from this week, plus four Canadian teams, another Scottish and American team.

Exactly. It’s all in the name. The players championship exists to determine the best players in the world. The world championship exists to determine the best country.

That’s why you’ve only got one team from each country and, maybe more importantly, why they play in national colours.

Tonight’s final isn’t just a bog standard Mouat vs Gushue game. It’s a game between the national teams of Canada and Scotland.

Make the WC like the PC and you completely lose the element of national pride and the whole romance of the world championships goes out the window.

IMO what Canada needs to do is make the Brier and Scotties a stand-alone event (i.e., winning doesn’t get in to the world championships). I know some people think this would cheapen the value of those events, but let’s be clear about it, they’re hugely popular events in their own right even without the carrot of WC qualification.

What David Murdoch should do is copy the formula that won Olympic gold for our women last year. Get a group of about 20 of the top players into a training camp and practice with different combinations of players until he finds a winning team. Then hand pick them to play at the worlds.

04-09-23 11:18AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911

Canada's best teams have done tremendously in most top cash events including many games against top international team. Our men's teams have continued to excel at world championships but Edin has been a challenge. Without Edin it might be argued we might have won as many as 5 Golds in 6 years.

Women's could be better but some of the teams this cycle show promise to change that. Paetz like Edin is a generational talent. Even if you have the best program sometimes you'll just lose to the most talented dedicated player on the globe.

04-09-23 11:23AM
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by naterock_11
Is that what you want? I'm just asking, no judgment. For Gushue/Nichols to be hamstrung by the fact they play for Newfoundland? People are salty they've skirted the residency rules by winning the Brier, but let's look at it in the opposite direction. Do you want to lose Gushue/Nichols because they're from Newfoundland? Force them to join other provinces because they're from a small one?

If you read my posts, you would see that that is exactly what I don’t want. Let the players form their teams without provincial restrictions

04-09-23 11:53AM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

What David Murdoch should do is copy the formula that won Olympic gold for our women last year. Get a group of about 20 of the top players into a training camp and practice with different combinations of players until he finds a winning team. Then hand pick them to play at the worlds.

I don't get this. It just does not apply to Canada. This will peeve people but I think FAR too much weight is being put on Eve Murihead's random gold medal than should be. It was mostly luck (which you need talent to get). That's not a knock on Muirhead, a truly great curler, but a comment on the specific Olympics and medal. She had a very mediocre week and then ran into two very very very poor playoff opponents. Alina Patz curled 74% (!!!!) in the semi and Fujisawa 69% (!!!!!!!!!) in the final. UK had a good final but their semi performance (83%) would've lost them that game almost every other year. The real Scottish talent is Mouat's team and they were NOT created using the Muirhead fluke system.

People are just so frothy over the Olympics they seem to place too much importance on systems based on one random outcome.

But back to Canada: this system doesn't work because we have competitive teams trying to be pro. Canadian teams cannot afford this pool system. They need to be on very very good teams and compete in spiels. Things like the Brier/Scotties also include major major funding. You can't just forego that by playing with a pool of players. It makes no sense. And I think Scotland knows that because they don't do it with Mouat or mixed doubles, just their absolutely flailing women's program in the last few years. Plus Canada just doesn't need it. Gushue has at least won silver at every worlds, an Olympic gold and an Olympic bronze (which he got after a very very close semi loss versus a very very good Edin, who had hammer). Koe won silver in 2019. Only Bottcher didn't medal (and Koe in the 2018 Olympics, where he was 4th). Those are great results. On the women's side...we have a team capable they just can't win a semi. This crazy system is not needed.

I want to see curling as a self sustaining sport not some experiment for national bodies, kept alive on random life support.

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 04-09-23 at 11:57AM

04-09-23 03:19PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:

OMG no. First off, it doesn't work that well. Sure Eve got a gold but it's not like she dominated. 5-4 record, needed tiebreaker to get in, won ridiculous and badly curled game 12-11 vs Sweden in semis before beating an off day Japan team. Eve has been to 9 worlds and has 3 medals which is great but sure not Patz like or acceptable for Canadian teams.
I'm with Olivert, too much emphasis on gold, too much emphasis on olympics. We are sending great teams,they are always in the mix, they are bringing home medals.

04-09-23 05:10PM
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:

I don't get this. It just does not apply to Canada. This will peeve people but I think FAR too much weight is being put on Eve Murihead's random gold medal than should be. It was mostly luck (which you need talent to get). That's not a knock on Muirhead, a truly great curler, but a comment on the specific Olympics and medal. She had a very mediocre week and then ran into two very very very poor playoff opponents. Alina Patz curled 74% (!!!!) in the semi and Fujisawa 69% (!!!!!!!!!) in the final. UK had a good final but their semi performance (83%) would've lost them that game almost every other year. The real Scottish talent is Mouat's team and they were NOT created using the Muirhead fluke system.

People are just so frothy over the Olympics they seem to place too much importance on systems based on one random outcome.

But back to Canada: this system doesn't work because we have competitive teams trying to be pro. Canadian teams cannot afford this pool system. They need to be on very very good teams and compete in spiels. Things like the Brier/Scotties also include major major funding. You can't just forego that by playing with a pool of players. It makes no sense. And I think Scotland knows that because they don't do it with Mouat or mixed doubles, just their absolutely flailing women's program in the last few years. Plus Canada just doesn't need it. Gushue has at least won silver at every worlds, an Olympic gold and an Olympic bronze (which he got after a very very close semi loss versus a very very good Edin, who had hammer). Koe won silver in 2019. Only Bottcher didn't medal (and Koe in the 2018 Olympics, where he was 4th). Those are great results. On the women's side...we have a team capable they just can't win a semi. This crazy system is not needed.

I want to see curling as a self sustaining sport not some experiment for national bodies, kept alive on random life support.

GB beat Sweden in the semi final, not Switzerland.

04-09-23 06:35PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

GB beat Sweden in the semi final, not Switzerland.

Thank you for the clarification! It was Hasselborg at 74%.

04-12-23 05:30AM
drewbinsky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drewbinsky Find more posts by drewbinsky Add drewbinsky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drewbinsky
Knee-Slider

Canada may be at a disadvantage in international curling due to its limited exposure to top-tier play outside ovo game of North America.

04-16-23 05:37PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Sportsnet on YouTube is livestreaming parts of 2023 Players Championship for free outside of Canada with no commercials, airing player interviews instead. In one of those interviews, a Canadian team admitted that they've now taken "draw to the button" (LSD) more seriously, and they're starting to actually practice how to do it as a team. As a 4-person team, that is.

Meanwhile, the international teams have perfected the pre-game practice and LSD as 7-person teams (which is 100% allowed by WCF, in case you're wondering).

This is one handicap for Canada, in my opinion. Including the coach, Team Gushue is basically a 5-person team most of the year. Some international teams are 7-person teams with team coach, national coach, and alternate for most of the year.

Team Canada is probably also doing 7-person pre-game practice, based on snippets and photos I've seen (I specifically remember a photo from 2021 World Men's of Marc Kennedy carrying at least 7 brooms), but obviously it's only on special occasions instead of something they're actually doing routinely.