Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > World Men's Curling Championship: Reviews & Comments

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 6 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-02-21 07:08AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

World Men's Curling Championship: Reviews & Comments

Gets underway today in Calgary. Won't comment til I see the entire field but I still believe this thing comes down to Bottcher vs. Edin with some other dramas inter-woven.

Hope Bottcher doesn't go the Rachel Homan machine-route and forgets about emotion and soul. Bottcher and his front end are pretty much emotionless machines, great curlers but seemingly lacking soul & emotional expression. Moulding is the team's "Soul Train" so hopefully he can elevate his team when they go into "Homan Like Trances".

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-02-21 10:42AM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Click here to Send Qtownranger a Private Message Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Mowat

My fearless prediction is for Team Scotland to go all the way this year. These young guys have worked hard for several years and this might be their time.

04-02-21 02:15PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Swing Artist

Re: Mowat

quote:
Originally posted by Qtownranger
My fearless prediction is for Team Scotland to go all the way this year. These young guys have worked hard for several years and this might be their time.

They really need to cut back on the spinner releases, lot of undercurls today and sweeping has less effect on the high rotation rocks. Like most I see them fighting for the bronze with the Swiss while Canada and Sweden get top 2 spots but they do have a fighting chance at winning the whole deal.

04-02-21 03:32PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Mowat

quote:
Originally posted by Qtownranger

no. the kind of ice thats here in the bubble just doesnt suit them at all. if mouat hadnt stood on his head in the first half of the game it would have been over a lot earlier and when he couldnt do that in the back half, wel..we saw what happened.

i predicted in the thread i made this team would struggle and not even be in the mix and i stand by that. like i said, this ice just doesnt suit them and the way they release the rock. i predict them to end up something in the 8-5 to 6-7 range. something like that.

think this is the year decruz finally gets to the final and wins. if you look at the teams that did well at nationals they were the more patient and defensive minded teams that didnt go crazy with rocks in play. thats the kind of game decruz loves to play . i see him and canada in the final

Last edited by misty1 on 04-02-21 at 03:34PM

04-02-21 03:32PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Mowat

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

They really need to cut back on the spinner releases, lot of undercurls today and sweeping has less effect on the high rotation rocks. Like most I see them fighting for the bronze with the Swiss while Canada and Sweden get top 2 spots but they do have a fighting chance at winning the whole deal.

Once they make playoffs anything can happen. Especially if Moulding's back acts up and his percentages drop, his brushing stops. Team Canada are shot-pelting machines like we've never seen before!

04-02-21 04:33PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Mowat

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Once they make playoffs anything can happen. Especially if Moulding's back acts up and his percentages drop, his brushing stops. Team Canada are shot-pelting machines like we've never seen before!

If that happens, we’ll see Kennedy come in. Might still see him for a game or 2...

04-02-21 06:27PM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

WCF streaming

Watching Japan/Germany game streamed on online by WCF. Mike Harris and Kevin Martin announcing. Almost monotone in delivery, but great thing is they they don't feel the need to overtalk and give unnecessary comments. They also bluntly say "that is an error!" on certain shots. Other great thing is no commercials.

04-02-21 07:52PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I've watched both WCF games online and 100% agree with the over chat. It's like Mike and Kevin have less "restraints" imposed on them by WCF vs Sportsnet. More of a tell it like is approach. I'll have TSN game on in the background on mute and watch the WCF game on the laptop. Best of both. Watch Canada without all 3 commentators talking over each other and the players, and listen to the other game without the 3rd wheel fighting for air time.

04-02-21 09:15PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

Keep an eye on Team Japan. Fun to watch, great shot makers.

04-02-21 09:31PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Agreed. That's why I'm curious Canada would play into their hands by letting the blanks go on. Historically the better team, in this case Canada, does themselves no favour by allowing Team Japan to "Stay in the game" by blanking. You're the better team by far, put up the guards and put on the pressure early. You've got a huge advantage on the ice, the venue, the routine. Go after them early. Every end Japan stays close is to their advantage, not Canada's.

04-02-21 09:31PM
Netz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Netz Click here to Send Netz a Private Message Find more posts by Netz Add Netz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Netz
Swing Artist

Here we go again, blank, blank, blank.

Sure enjoyed the Mixed Doubles , blank end lose the hammer.

Going to watch the paint dry, call me when they start to play.

04-02-21 10:35PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Case in point. 6th end. Forced them to "make" shots. Not a pretty end but 4 spot none the less.

04-02-21 10:40PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

I thought this was a fun game until that sixth end where everyone sucked and Canada scored four.

04-03-21 07:27AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Swing Artist

Sixth end, i.e. the end immediately following half-time break, tends to have some craziness anyways. There has been a bunch of games very similar to the JPN vs CAN game, where there weren't that many rocks in play for the first half, but then 6th end comes and there's gazillion rocks behind tee line under center guard.

I don't remember where it was said, but someone claimed that it was statistically proven that the end where leads tend to miss their first shots the most is the 6th.

Also, just as Don Bartlett used to go heavy "accidentally"/on purpose when he was playing with Kevin Martin ("The Donny B Special"), I think Bottcher might've gone heavy on purpose for the exact same reason. It worked this time, obviously.

04-03-21 06:59PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Swing Artist

Bottcher is fast becoming my favorite curler. Smiles a lot, is always positive in his dealings with the team and the media and just a clutch shooter. This may be the easiest Canadian team to cheer for ever.

04-03-21 08:56PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Bottcher is fast becoming my favorite curler. Smiles a lot, is always positive in his dealings with the team and the media and just a clutch shooter. This may be the easiest Canadian team to cheer for ever.

Bottcher has incredibly great demeanor. No one really like him in the men's game. Look at the fierce & oft vicious Jacobs, the morose & sombre Koe, the alway-chirpin' Wayne Middaugh, the non-stop babblin' machine Johnny Mo, hen-pecked Mike McEwen. I guess the only one who comes close is Brad Gushue - Canada is fortunate to have curling champions with incredible on & off-ice demeanor. Gushue w/ 3 Brier titles, Jeff Stoughton w/ 3 Briers and now B Bottcher standing on guard for Canada.

04-03-21 09:53PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Hitting Paint

Why do they not have the sensor handles now? They had them yesterday.

04-03-21 09:59PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by southerncurler

Might it be an executive decision to lessen the number of people (technicians, cleaners, supervisors) required to control the sensor program?

If so, I agree with the decision. Less the number of people in the bubble - the better. Well over 6,000 covid cases in Ontario last 2 days. Even Manitoba soared from 5os, 60s & 80 cases to 181 w/ 2 more deaths.

No one is immune!

04-03-21 10:47PM
fresca is online now Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Watching youtube streaming wcf live

Luke coley commentsting and jJill officer Commentating

So far excellent

Last edited by fresca on 04-03-21 at 11:42PM

04-03-21 10:58PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Watching youtube streaming wcf live

Luke saunders ??? Coleen jones son might be commentsting and jjones old 2nd ???? Jill officer maybe Commentating

So far excellent

Don't know much about Luke (Coco's son) but Jilly Officer is always earnest and on-point when doing broadcasts. Sort of a 4th wheel on Sportsnet broadcasts as Joan McCusk is having a hard time leaving while Officer waits in the wings.

But with Jill you always get straightforward commentary. Kinda like me, Fresca & curlerbroad on the desk . . . ! ! !

04-03-21 11:38PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Swing Artist

WCF is using 5 commentators, all named here.

https://twitter.com/mikeharriscurls...294049821384705
"Looking forward to bringing you the action w @Kmartcurl @JillOfficer @CoachMKS and @ColeysNotes"

They are: Mike Harris, Kevin Martin, Jill Officer, Melissa Soligo, and Luke Coley.

Soligo calls herself a rookie on the team, but she has commentated BC provincials before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD6Nm5XP7o4&t=3m20s

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-03-21 at 11:46PM

04-03-21 11:52PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Soligo and Officer are very similar in broadcast style.

Even look a bit like sisters. Don't know who's older - Jill is 45/46. Melissa I would guess 49/50.

04-03-21 11:52PM
curlingclips
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Sort of a 4th wheel on Sportsnet broadcasts as Joan McCusk is having a hard time leaving while Officer waits in the wings.

Jill Officer has commentated plenty without Joan McCusker.

Example (CBC, not Sportsnet):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrXaRJPGEAo

04-04-21 07:31AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by southerncurler

They used them the first game, or in practice, can't remember. They were not working properly, so changed handles.

04-04-21 09:07AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Easy to be gay when you are winning, His demeanor at the mixed doubles with Bobbie was decidedly different.