Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-14-21 09:32PM
NOLA_Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NOLA_Curler Find more posts by NOLA_Curler Add NOLA_Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NOLA_Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
I’m going to post here with my American hat firmly in my head. You don’t know how lucky you are to have the TSN crew you’ve got. Compared to any American coverage I’ve ever seen, or heck any coverage from other countries too, the TSN commentators and crew are light years ahead of all of them. And were I a Canadian, I would call Vic a national treasure.

I agree 100%. Although I am American, I look forward to the TSN broadcasts of the Scotties and Brier on ESPN3 every year. I enjoy Vic and find Cheryl, Russ, Cathy, and Bryan to all be capable commentators. And the production value alone makes our American web-based broadcasts almost unwatchable by comparison.

Last edited by NOLA_Curler on 02-14-21 at 09:35PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-14-21 09:48PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by NOLA_Curler

I agree 100%. Although I am American, I look forward to the TSN broadcasts of the Scotties and Brier on ESPN3 every year. I enjoy Vic and find Cheryl, Russ, Cathy, and Bryan to all be capable commentators. And the production value alone makes our American web-based broadcasts almost unwatchable by comparison.

No arguments with the volume and production values of our Canadian based (TSN/Sportsnet) broacasts.

Based on volume and above average production values its prolly (no definitely) the top curling broadcasts in the world.

Main problem is NOT production or volume.

Its:

1. Announcing quality
2. Repetitive color commentary
3. Repetitive commercials.
4. Game draw choices (sometimes horrid)
5. Inability to switch to other more interesting and more relevant matches
6. One outlet switches constantly from game to game; other rarely switches until after commercial break between ends - last rock only.
7. Few fan interviews in early stages of long events
8. Neither TSN nor Sportsnet appear willing to listen to fan feedback.

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 02-15-21 at 01:17PM

02-15-21 12:42PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Just for fun

Cut the last 20 posters please list the items they have purchased that were advertised by the curling sponsors

Thank you

I use pioneer to control my clubroot and sclerotinia and I spread it using a Karcher power washed Kubota tractor while sipping a Timmies and snacking on a Pintys chicken finger.

02-15-21 08:31PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Pls post a picture

02-15-21 11:35PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Or for those who remember....
A hand drawn facsimile

02-16-21 12:53PM
leslie2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for leslie2 Find more posts by leslie2 Add leslie2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leslie2
Knee-Slider

I mute whenever Cheryl is commentating. Her word pronunciation, poor grammar and constant giggling are like nails on a chalkboard to me. eg. cuz, eKspecially, ya (you), ta (to), yer (you are, your), gonna shoulda, coulda (a for have), goin, sweepin, (all ing words), etc.

I have never curled but got interested when Linda and Ray were commentating. They were excellent teachers.

I continue to learn from Sportsnet commentating. They are also excellent teachers (especially Kevin).

Why isn't Steph Ledrew commentating? She is an excellent speaker, knows when to talk and is so observant and knowledgeable.

02-16-21 03:06PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Hitting Paint

My favourite color commentator is Guy Hemmings, because he`s brutally honest since I don`t think that (insert any non-Quebec curler) would even know what he said about them. Then again, you need to understand French.

02-17-21 11:40AM
RMc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RMc Click here to Send RMc a Private Message Find more posts by RMc Add RMc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RMc
Knee-Slider

I have nothing but respect for TSN and Sportsnet for bringing us as much Curling as they possibly can, but I wouldn't say either of their coverage is particularly good. The advancements in curling coverage are HD video and high quality mic/audio, because the most interesting part of curling for me is hearing the players discuss shots/strategy. Other than that, little has changed in Decades, I've watched a tonne of old games on Youtube this year and things look pretty similar. Have they found the perfect formula, or are they too scared to try anything new?

One thing I'm looking forward to is the just announced "Pre-game" shows that Colleen and Devin at CBC will be doing this year, as well, Comedian and Podcaster John Cullen is doing Pre-game shows on Instagram Live. Sounds like both will be doing some interesting stories and interviews with curlers in the bubble, and I'm excited that someone has finally branched outside to alternative media coverage to try and bring curling into the 21st century. All the talk of shortening the games, but I'm all for more and more coverage, including outside of the games.

02-20-21 11:51PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Another American, got into it when we had Duguid and Chevrier calling it at the Salt Lake olympics.

I guess I don’t get the complaints. I mean, I do, but they feel like the hardcore fans complaining about the same things hardcore fans of any other sport complain about for national telecasts. I mean Milbury for heavens sake. The TSN people are all capable and fine. They seem to get along and have fun, it’s not perfect and it’s sanitized and bland for the national audience, but I’m quite sure that’s the point. Vic’s job is basically “be appealing to as many people as possible and constantly mention that they’re currently televising one of the 16 players that a random channel flipper might have heard of.”

Within that constraint, he’s wonderful. And for 60 seconds each end we get the Canadian commercials and I better not see Pierre Luc DuBois’ smiling mug or I’m putting a shoe through my TV.

02-21-21 11:25AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Hitting Paint

I get the criticism of Vic/Russ/Cheryl, but I notice I am more excited to watch curling when I hear their voices as opposed to the voices of Brian/Cathy or the Sportsnet teams. Maybe it's just that Vic has been associated with the biggest events for so long that I associate hearing him with top curling. Or maybe TSN's top team is indeed the best.

This year, for the first time, I thought Brian had potential as an eventual Vic replacement. The big challenge for him is going to be adding some flair to his delivery. It's all very sanitized and obvious, but a good play by play announcer will add flourishes like Vic does when he counts up a big score.

Also, I hope TSN backs off the COVID tales. That's the kind of thing many viewers don't want to hear about end after end for three hours.

02-21-21 11:36AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD
I get the criticism of Vic/Russ/Cheryl, but I notice I am more excited to watch curling when I hear their voices as opposed to the voices of Brian/Cathy or the Sportsnet teams. Maybe it's just that Vic has been associated with the biggest events for so long that I associate hearing him with top curling. Or maybe TSN's top team is indeed the best.

This year, for the first time, I thought Brian had potential as an eventual Vic replacement. The big challenge for him is going to be adding some flair to his delivery. It's all very sanitized and obvious, but a good play by play announcer will add flourishes like Vic does when he counts up a big score.

Also, I hope TSN backs off the COVID tales. That's the kind of thing many viewers don't want to hear about end after end for three hours.

The biggest difference between Vic Rauter & Brian Mudryk (other than age, Vic is 65, Mudryk 42)
is drama. When things get close down the wire, Vic is capable of going nuts - not quite Rod Black levels but very close. Unlike Black, Vic is fairly hum-drum until the game is on the line. Rod Black goes crazy whenever a running back gains 3 yds.
Mudryk on the other hand is hum-drum from wire to wire. His description of Sherry Anderson's startling loss on Draw 2 was as if there even wasn't a game going on.

When Vic goes into Sidney Pothier mode - he's very good. Trouble is - he doesn't get into that mode very much!

02-21-21 02:12PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

'Vic is 65, Mudryk 42'. ML

To many of us, age is simply a number. But to ML it's a number to be included in many of his blurbs. Unfortunately his math is not always 'spot - on'.

Some recent examples:
J. Jones is 46 yrs. old, not 48.

R. Homan is 31, not 33

E. Miskew is 32, not 33

B. Mudryk is 41, not 42

V. Rauter is 66, not 65

02-21-21 02:33PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
'Vic is 65, Mudryk 42'. ML

To many of us, age is simply a number. But to ML it's a number to be included in many of his blurbs. Unfortunately his math is not always 'spot - on'.

Some recent examples:
J. Jones is 46 yrs. old, not 48.

R. Homan is 31, not 33

E. Miskew is 32, not 33

B. Mudryk is 41, not 42

V. Rauter is 66, not 65

Good to have you on the research team sport.
I was projecting Jones age after the Olympic trials - wondering whether she'd be fit to skip at a high level? Still don't know but highly doubt it!

Russ & Sheryl made mention of Vic's birthday yesterday. Vic got a bit red-faced but mentioned he's gonna be seeking out the pension man at Canada Revenue - which would mean he's about to start drawing his pension while still earning a good living as a TSN employee or more likely, a TSN contractor. That would put him in at 65.

Wiki lists his birth year as 1955, but not his month of birth.

btw - if Ray "The Moose" Turnbull was still alive he'd be 81 or as ML would say, turning 82 in the summer. Moosie called it a day on his own volition (I believe).

Cheryl, who's a tad over 50 was brought into replace Linda Moore who called it a day due to a medical condition. Linda will be 67 later this week while Sheryl Bernard is a rather youthful looking 55.

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 02-21-21 at 02:37PM

02-21-21 05:16PM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Just for fun

Cut the last 20 posters please list the items they have purchased that were advertised by the curling sponsors

Thank you

Your question was a lot easier to answer back when Labatt was the title sponsor and corn brooms ruled.
Legend, with no word of a doubt, has one thing right.
McD's coffee is superior, in every way, to Tim's.

02-21-21 05:28PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

you know, i wouldnt even have a problem with vic if, like i said he wasnt doing his "no offense" followed by an insulting comment or giving back handed compliments to lower ranked teams.

i just wish cheryl too would open up more and stand on her own more. not just agree with everything russ says. even when russ asks her opinion she just goes a long with him

02-21-21 05:47PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
you know, i wouldnt even have a problem with vic if, like i said he wasnt doing his "no offense" followed by an insulting comment or giving back handed compliments to lower ranked teams.

i just wish cheryl too would open up more and stand on her own more. not just agree with everything russ says. even when russ asks her opinion she just goes a long with him

Russ is still very careful and circumspect with Cheryl. He's testing her by asking her for an opinion - but she knows she's being tested and thats why she still gives him milquetoast answers!

02-23-21 11:04AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Here's a question. Has it really been necessary for vic to bring up about 5 times now that Alberta started 3-0 last year but then lost 4 once the schedule got tougher?. Pretty sure it only needs to be said the once

02-23-21 11:35AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Hitting Paint

Nitpick #1: TSN changed their score graphic so that the team name is listed with the provincial colour in the background. So you have Manitoba written in white font on yellow background and Ontario written in white font on red background. But this is annoyingly misleading when Manitoba is playing red stones and Ontario yellow stones.

Nitpick #2: Russ praised the camera angle from behind the thrower in a broadcast yesterday. They never used it again. Are they only allowed to use it once a day? It really is nice to see the arc of the stones a few times and helps give some variance to a long telecast.

02-23-21 04:02PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

no seriously how many times will vic mention this about alberta?. 2 times more in an update about their game against NWT

02-23-21 05:22PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
no seriously how many times will vic mention this about alberta?. 2 times more in an update about their game against NWT

Once he locks on to something that's it. Which will he mention more? Alberta's streaks or the evaporating pebble?

02-23-21 08:11PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

I can't believe the evaporating pebble. I live in a dry area and droplets don't evaporate that fast. The Alberta streak should be put to rest now.

02-23-21 08:37PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by alex
I can't believe the evaporating pebble. I live in a dry area and droplets don't evaporate that fast. The Alberta streak should be put to rest now.

Guaranteed next AB draw he'll mention how they've "overcome" the Alberta Streak. Also Russ will say "exactly" 10 times and Cheryl will say sittin' and hittin'

My pet peeve is rather than saying that spot runs straight or that spot doesn't curl when they miss a shot, how about the truth, THEY MISSED THE BROOM. They dumped it wide, or turned it in and it curled out of their hand. They threw it 10 feet heavy, they pulled the string and were way too light.
Sometimes the truth hurts, but it needs to be told.

Oh that wasn't the outcome they were looking for. No, they dumped it and missed the shot.

Here endeth the rant.

02-23-21 08:44PM
hogged again
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Guaranteed next AB draw he'll mention how they've "overcome" the Alberta Streak. Also Russ will say "exactly" 10 times and Cheryl will say sittin' and hittin'

My pet peeve is rather than saying that spot runs straight or that spot doesn't curl when they miss a shot, how about the truth, THEY MISSED THE BROOM. They dumped it wide, or turned it in and it curled out of their hand. They threw it 10 feet heavy, they pulled the string and were way too light.

Oh that wasn't the outcome they were looking for. No, they dumped it and missed the shot.

Here endeth the rant.

LMAO. This aft the Zacharias 3rd was light and inside on a shot. Cheryl said "oh she just got unlucky and got on the path where it curls". Missing the broom with the wrong weight isn't unlucky. I get that they don't want to be too critical but you can't sugar coat everything either.
Drinking game: Russ says exactly, you take a shot. Liver failure before end of Brier guaranteed.

02-23-21 08:51PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

LMAO. This aft the Zacharias 3rd was light and inside on a shot. Cheryl said "oh she just got unlucky and got on the path where it curls". Missing the broom with the wrong weight isn't unlucky. I get that they don't want to be too critical but you can't sugar coat everything either.
Drinking game: Russ says exactly, you take a shot. Liver failure before end of Brier guaranteed.

And my favourite from both Russ and Vic "gear affect"

02-24-21 02:22PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

I agree with your analysis on this. Sometimes you can tell from the comfort of the couch that a rock was thrown poorly and hey it happens. The crew does not always have to cover up for it. Great shots are worth getting excited about. However I feel that they could tactfully do a better job of commenting on not so good shots.

Anyway I'm still glad there is LIVE curling on TV no matter what the TSN gang is saying!
Here endeth the rant.