Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 21 -- Thu, Apr 25 -- 7:00am ET
CAN (Flemming) 11  Final
DEN (Qvist) (6)
PHI (Ochoco) Final
FIN (Kirjonen) 11  (8)
NOR (Davanger) 10  Final
CRO (Skendrovic) (6)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-10-23 11:15AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

US nationals

Just a question for US posters. As the US nationals are in the final 4. I see that Scott dunnam and daniel casper have both done quite well this week. I was just wondering. If either team were to win would they go to worlds or is it basically down to shuster and dropkin since they made final 4.

Same question for the women. If. For example Delaney Strouse won would she go to worlds or has Peterson booked her spot by making final 4.

I'd really like to see this be a winner gets to go to worlds situation since. Aside from Japan, Canada and maybe Korea there aren't many countries that still send the national champio ship winner and thats sad. Not sure if US does or not

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-10-23 12:39PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Good question!

I read some documents, and I'm pretty sure the answer for 2023 is YES, winners go to Worlds.

2023 USA Curling Rules (PDF) says "winning teams will be invited to represent the United States at the
World Men’s/World Women’s Championships".

This is in contrast to previous rules, e.g. 2017-2018 (PDF) which had a detailed "World Championships Team Qualification Process" section mentioning Top 75 world ranking and such.

So, while it's true that USA hadn't always sent the winners of their national championships to Worlds (2017 Jamie Sinclair, 2016 Brady Clark), I think they've since simplified the system and removed the ranking-based World Team Qualification Process.

02-11-23 07:32AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

The US got out of the "we aren't sending our Champs to worlds" business when they made it basically required to be a high ranking team just to get to nationals.

There is no longer a qualification process that includes teams that aren't playing on tour regularly.

The 8 tems are:
- last years worlds rep
- 2022 Olympics rep
- junior Champs
- 3 highest ranking teams on the points chase
- 2 highest placing teams at the "qualifying event", which sounds like it would be an open pathway, but it isnt....the qualifying event was the curling stadium contender series (tour B level event, you can't sign up and go) and the curl mesabi classic (tour event).

There is no longer a way for a team to get hot and win their way in.

02-11-23 07:51AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

So if I understand you should Casper knock off Shuster today or Strouse beats Peterson then Strouse and / or Casper would gt t go ?

02-11-23 12:03PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
So if I understand you should Casper knock off Shuster today or Strouse beats Peterson then Strouse and / or Casper would gt t go ?

Yes, but the official rules does keep a door open for some meddling by saying that "While the intent is to keep teams and coaches intact, the National Team Staff, Sporting Director, and CEO may collaborate and modify teams when it is deemed necessary for international success."

I don't think either Team Casper or Team Strouse need any meddling, so that rule probably doesn't apply in this case, but it's there in case they need to use it.

I think even Canada has some limited meddling, mostly in the selection of alternate (Cheryl Bernard at 2018 Olympics, Marc Kennedy at 2021 World Men's).

02-13-23 10:29PM
alexhopkins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alexhopkins Find more posts by alexhopkins Add alexhopkins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alexhopkins
Knee-Slider

game

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more about this topic stumble guys