Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 6 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 9:30am PT
Pere/Cohe Final
Quin/Abre (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-18-21 10:20PM
FleuryFan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FleuryFan Find more posts by FleuryFan Add FleuryFan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FleuryFan
Harvey Hacksmasher

GSOC Meridian Open

https://thegrandslamofcurling.com/

I think GSOC unofficially officially announced who will be at the slam in January. If you go on their website under the Women's Teams and Men's Teams tabs there is sixteen teams listed under both, and the Open will feature sixteen men's and women's teams. Also, Team Retornaz is listed under the men's teams despite never playing in a previous slam, so I believe that these will be the teams in Camrose.

Women's: Chelsea Carey, Hollie Duncan, Kerri Einarson, Tracy Fleury, Satsuki Fujisawa, Gim Un-chi, Anna Hasselborg, Rachel Homan, Jennifer Jones, Kim Eun-jung, Alina Kovaleva, Eve Muirhead, Tabitha Peterson, Kelsey Rocque, Silvana Tirinzoni, Isabella Wrana.

Men's: Brendan Bottcher, Peter de Cruz, Matt Dunstone, Niklas Edin, John Epping, Colton Flasch, Jason Gunnlaugson, Brad Gushue, Glenn Howard, Brad Jacobs, Kevin Koe, Mike McEwen, Bruce Mouat, Joel Retornaz, Yannick Schwaller, Ross Whyte.

Huge for Carey and Duncan to qualify on the women's side, as if Homan doesn't win Ontario they could pass her in the rankings.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-19-21 08:42AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

We will see if it happens. How many Olympic teams will even be willing to go and risk an exposure that would knock them out of the games?

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 12-19-21 at 08:45AM

12-19-21 03:13PM
DrB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DrB Click here to Send DrB a Private Message Find more posts by DrB Add DrB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrB
Harvey Hacksmasher

All of those teams accepted their invitations and have committed to playing the slam.

12-19-21 03:45PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by DrB
All of those teams accepted their invitations and have committed to playing the slam.

But if massive breakouts continue, etc. some may not want to take the risk. Hopefully not but accepting the invitation doesn't mean Pinty's is sending the gestapo to your house to force you to attend.

12-19-21 04:31PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel

But if massive breakouts continue, etc. some may not want to take the risk. Hopefully not but accepting the invitation doesn't mean Pinty's is sending the gestapo to your house to force you to attend.

Comparing any sanctions Pinty's may use to the gestapo is simply not acceptable and could bring back bad memories to those whose relatives did experience gestapo tactics.

12-19-21 06:09PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Whatever term you want to use Pinty's isn't forcing anyone to attend if they don't feel safe.

12-19-21 06:29PM
DrB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DrB Click here to Send DrB a Private Message Find more posts by DrB Add DrB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrB
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Whatever term you want to use Pinty's isn't forcing anyone to attend if they don't feel safe.

Correct… Pinty’s isn’t forcing anyone to play in a GSOC event… as of now all of those teams have confirmed their entries.

12-24-21 10:08AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Eve Muirhead’s weekly column for The Courier has posted today, and in it she outlines their plans pre-Olympics. They’re going to have Christmas at home and then go into a “holding camp” in a bubble in lodges outside of Stirling until it’s time to get on the chartered flight for Beijing. So it seems the Scottish teams will not be playing in this Slam.

Also, yesterday USA Curling cancelled the US Nationals that were to have taken place in early January in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Iowa’s government doesn’t do restrictions, so this must have been USA Curling’s decision, and I would think that will also rule out any possible US participation in this Slam.

I think there’s not going to be much curling going on anywhere in January. The promising news about Omicron though is how much faster it’s wave moves. Cases are already plummeting in the area of South Africa where it first got spotted, and by the time the Olympics are over, events of all sorts will likely be safe to resume. Whether health officials will bring themselves to believe that or not even if this really comes to pass is another story.

Last edited by Observer on 12-24-21 at 10:14AM

12-24-21 10:43AM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Inevitable with these case counts. I doubt it even happens now. Likewise seems probable Gushue won't need to play in provincials to get a Brier slot as we're days away from the entire January slate being killed. Fleury must be annoyed Manitoba moved theirs up or she would've gotten an auto-berth.

12-24-21 11:53AM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Inevitable with these case counts. I doubt it even happens now. Likewise seems probable Gushue won't need to play in provincials to get a Brier slot as we're days away from the entire January slate being killed. Fleury must be annoyed Manitoba moved theirs up or she would've gotten an auto-berth.

If January playdowns do get cancelled across the country CC may do like they did last year and expand the Scotties/Brier fields with no wild card play in games and Fleury would be first in line.

12-24-21 06:53PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Observer

I think there’s not going to be much curling going on anywhere in January. The promising news about Omicron though is how much faster it’s wave moves. Cases are already plummeting in the area of South Africa where it first got spotted, and by the time the Olympics are over, events of all sorts will likely be safe to resume. Whether health officials will bring themselves to believe that or not even if this really comes to pass is another story.

I think these cancellations are a bit premature. Omicron variant is showing symptoms akin to a cold or mild flu. Mike Harris played an Olympic Gold medal game in Nagano with likely worse symptoms than are being reported with this latest Covid-19 strain. He didn't win...but still..c'mon, curlers are not known for being 'soft'.

12-25-21 01:12AM
shirleyc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shirleyc Click here to Send shirleyc a Private Message Find more posts by shirleyc Add shirleyc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shirleyc
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yes Mike Harris did play sick. He scored 25% and of course they lost. He should have excused himself and put in their fifth player. I've never got over that and to this day hold him responsible for losing the game and the gold medal.

12-25-21 08:59AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Point being, they didn't cancel the game or the event.

And Shirley, at this time of year, can you not find it in your heart to finally forgive Mike and team, and maybe Kevin, and Kelley, and Shannon, and Cheryl, and to a lesser degree Rachel and other Kevin for not winning the Olympic Gold?

With all of the sorry, sorry, sorry going around, we Canadians are a penitent bunch but are also by nature a forgiving nation as well no?
Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited by johnnysmoke on 12-25-21 at 09:19AM

12-25-21 09:33AM
shirleyc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shirleyc Click here to Send shirleyc a Private Message Find more posts by shirleyc Add shirleyc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shirleyc
Harvey Hacksmasher

Okay Johnny I hear you and take heed of your words. I will really try and forgive Mike. I had no problem with all the others, they did their best. Mike's case was different.

12-25-21 12:24PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by shirleyc
Yes Mike Harris did play sick. He scored 25% and of course they lost. He should have excused himself and put in their fifth player. I've never got over that and to this day hold him responsible for losing the game and the gold medal.

The third and second didn’t curl well either in that game. Paul Savage was the fifth player. He was in worse shape than Harris.

12-25-21 07:02PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by shirleyc

Or a nasty hang over?

12-25-21 09:50PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke
I think these cancellations are a bit premature. Omicron variant is showing symptoms akin to a cold or mild flu. Mike Harris played an Olympic Gold medal game in Nagano with likely worse symptoms than are being reported with this latest Covid-19 strain. He didn't win...but still..c'mon, curlers are not known for being 'soft'.

Can confirm on the symptoms as I’ve got it myself. Or rather I did…I’m almost back to normal now, just tired.

12-26-21 09:49AM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

They aren't cancelling because they're specific worried curlers will have symptoms but because it's a pandemic and they can't run events that spread it.

It's also wildly irresponsible to say "Omicron is just minor symptoms!" I know people who had a sore throat or just lost their sense of smell with prior variants. I also know people who died. Hopefully Omicron WILL be very minor, but we certainly don't know that yet.

12-26-21 10:29AM
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:
They aren't cancelling because they're specific worried curlers will have symptoms but because it's a pandemic and they can't run events that spread it.

It's also wildly irresponsible to say "Omicron is just minor symptoms!" I know people who had a sore throat or just lost their sense of smell with prior variants. I also know people who died. Hopefully Omicron WILL be very minor, but we certainly don't know that yet.

Well you have a very short memory or even amnesia, because this pandemic was with us last year and there were many successfully run curling events, most of them here in Canada. Were they more difficult to pull off with the added requirements for health/security? Absolutely.
Second, I'm paraphrasing articles in the New York Times, the Toronto Star and the Guardian UK, that all point out that preliminary studies and trends show Omicron symptoms, especially amongst those fully vaccinated, to be 'minor'.
So no, not wildly irresponsible, just optimistic.

12-26-21 12:36PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

Well you have a very short memory or even amnesia, because this pandemic was with us last year and there were many successfully run curling events, most of them here in Canada. Were they more difficult to pull off with the added requirements for health/security? Absolutely.
Second, I'm paraphrasing articles in the New York Times, the Toronto Star and the Guardian UK, that all point out that preliminary studies and trends show Omicron symptoms, especially amongst those fully vaccinated, to be 'minor'.
So no, not wildly irresponsible, just optimistic.

The events last year were absolutely successful and conducted using precautions that are not in place for Wednesday as you acknowledge. If Curling Canada had set up a bubble environment this would be going ahead. But it's likely too late; just considering per-quarantine, all the setup for scanning, etc. Maybe it's doable but CC clearly decided it wasn't. Also you seem to have missed part of the announcement: more players from this actual tournament have been infected. We don't know who/how many but with just one person per team being all it takes to eliminate a team and just 16 teams total...how many are left? None of those infected teams can travel due to provincial and federal requirements and all will have to quarantine for the required days. Clearly CC is satisfied they neither have the infrastructure nor teams to make this work all in the environment of higher risk. And my guess is that's the deciding factor: they can't satisfy themselves the risk to players and staff can be reduced with just 4 days of planning.

As for the symptoms, the issue isn't whether Omicron is possible less harmful (I read the same news as you) but what a national sporting organization should do while the data is still extremely preliminary. As I said, their concern isn't players having symptoms but the spread of infection. And it is not a sports' organization's place to just decide this variant or that variant isn't a problem so let's just infect 32 curlers plus staff. If in a year we have the same situation but "COVID is now not deadly" is the government line then I expect they'd act different. But that's not this world, whatever Omicron is or isn't.

12-29-21 01:49PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Cancelled

12-29-21 02:19PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by guido
Cancelled

For the best. Not sure how many Olympic bound teams would have taken the chance anyway

01-01-22 02:17PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Point being, they didn't cancel the game or the event.

And Shirley, at this time of year, can you not find it in your heart to finally forgive Mike and team, and maybe Kevin, and Kelley, and Shannon, and Cheryl, and to a lesser degree Rachel and other Kevin for not winning the Olympic Gold?

With all of the sorry, sorry, sorry going around, we Canadians are a penitent bunch but are also by nature a forgiving nation as well no?
Merry Christmas everyone!

Well said. There's one hell of a lot more important things in the world more deserving of attention and scrutiny then what stupid colour of medal we did, or did not, win at an athletic competition that lost its meaning decades ago to sheer corporate greed.

01-01-22 03:40PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

Well said. There's one hell of a lot more important things in the world more deserving of attention and scrutiny then what stupid colour of medal we did, or did not, win at an athletic competition that lost its meaning decades ago to sheer corporate greed.

Agreed. The IOC is also deeply corrupt; I much prefer the Brier/Scotties, etc. I feel more money and resources should be put into grassroots. Developing the sport in the North, building upgrades etc.