Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 6 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 9:30am PT
Pere/Cohe Final
Quin/Abre (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 12 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-21-22 08:11AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards

Nailed it. I'll support them no matter what, too; I really think Canadians are spoiled with far too many expectations and know little about what it takes to play at these events. They're a sad lot unfortunately (the fans that is) and their tendency to take their frustrations out on the *teams* is tantamount to tantrums.
[/QUOTE

Wow! Who appointed you the forum psychiatrist? Many fans are extremely knowledgable. We lived through the deficits that Dave Parkes ran up, the few years that Stremlaw tried to be the saviour who couldn't say no to Warren Hansen and then the every declining years of Henderson. We know exactly what percent of our dues get sent to inept provincial associations. We know how much the Cdn govt doles out to sports organizations. Our expectations for Canadian curlers to win everything declined about the same time we gave up hoping we would win the Stanley Cup. No tantrum, just reality.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-21-22 08:19AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

I want Curling Canada to invest in more sports psychology support BECAUSE I believe the events are too high pressure for Canadian curlers.

03-21-22 04:34PM
Saskvet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Saskvet Find more posts by Saskvet Add Saskvet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

Sports psychologist

The state of curling in Canada is just fine by and large
We have a very large country geographically speaking
There is curling in every province sea to sea
For politically correct reasons someone in their wisdom has decided to include three separate territories in the Scottie and and brier
They will get this straightened out
Some will always find a way to circumvent the rules, like those three seniors from Ontario who represented PEI or Holmans team
Do you think that Gushue has or needs a sports psychologist?
It took him 4 years to build the team he has, and the results are evident in the last 4 years
You could throw a blanket over Moat, Edin and Gushue and most likely one would win 4 games, the others 3
And there are another three teams in Canada who on a given day could beat Gushue. And another 3 who are close
Let’s not panic!! Every sport is constantly in a state of flux
The women are in tough right now, but I have no doubt that things will change
Right now Tirinzoni, Hassellborg and Muirhead are at the top of the heap. The Asian group and Canada are close
That doesn’t mean they can’t win
You don’t have to look any farther than John Shuster. No knowledgeable curler would have given them a snow ball’s chance in hell of winning a gold medal
Grow the game at the grass roots. Those dedicated curlers will find a way to win
They will do it through forming a TEAM. They will do it by honing their craft and hard work

03-21-22 04:49PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Saskvet
Sports psychologist

Do you think that Gushue has or needs a sports psychologist?

Yes I think he has one because he does: https://gazette.mun.ca/campus-and-c...=&utm_campaign=

03-21-22 05:06PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

In the SUI vs CAN round robin game, 3rd end, the umpire was called on to declare if the first rock of the end is in the No-Tick Zone. A carpenter's speed square was used, and you can see that the rock was not in NTZ. In other words, it was legal to tick it aside, because it was not biting center line.

However, for whatever reason, both TSN and WCF commentators, who couldn't hear the verbal ruling from the umpire, thought that the rock was declared to be in NTZ.

Later, on the fourth rock of the end, SUI accidentally wrecks on the center guard, ticking it aside and rolling the shooter into the house.

Had they not asked for the umpire to make the declaration 2 rocks earlier, there would have been room to question the legality of that accidental tick shot.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is something that Dean Gemmell suggested years ago: umpires in curling need gestures, ala baseball. They already have some gestures during measurements, i.e. all of them point at which rock is closer. He thinks there's room for more gestures. I agree with him, and this scenario would've been one where a gesture would've clarified to everyone watching whether the rock was declared to be in NTZ or not.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-21-22 at 05:21PM

03-21-22 05:15PM
Saskvet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Saskvet Find more posts by Saskvet Add Saskvet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

I stand corrected. Just goes to sho you are never to old to learn something
I stand by my other remarks. TEAM trumps all else
We should not panic.
I will add one more thing. When you lose control of a situation like Canadian hockey teams have you see the results
Little doubt that the nhl under bettman is a financial success, but at what cost?
Let’s not let that happen to curling

03-21-22 05:23PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

If there's already technology like Hawkeye that can immediately and accurately measure where a tennis ball nearly 200 kph in three dimensions landed, then surely there's a way to determine exactly where a curling stone at rest lies?

03-21-22 05:45PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

It wouldn’t be that difficult to do, the question is does it really out perform a $2 carpenter square?

03-21-22 05:55PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hailstone
If there's already technology like Hawkeye...

That is tangential to the need for gestures. The carpenter's square is used for other things, e.g. measure if a rock is over the hog line or the back line. There's also a similar measurement with the biter bar/6-ft measuring stick to determine if a rock is in FGZ or biting the house. It's not enough for the umpires to just verbally communicate to the skips what the ruling is, they also need to declare it to everyone watching (TV audience, ticket-paying spectators in the seats, etc.).

They don't need microphones or anything, all they need is official curling umpire gestures ala baseball.

03-21-22 06:55PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by southerncurler
It wouldn’t be that difficult to do, the question is does it really out perform a $2 carpenter square?

When there's already complaints that games take too long, wouldn't an immediate ruling be preferable to an official waddling over to whichever of the six or eight sheets they're need at?

At the very least, an event as big as a world championships should already have a dedicated official watching over every game.

03-21-22 07:37PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
So through 5 draws under the no tick rule we have seen 6 games that bring up the dreaded "boring" scenario that necessitated the no-tick rule: extra-end or tied in the 10th. Of those 6...5 were won by team with hammer. Giving us an 83% victory for the hammer team, basically exactly the same % as without the no-tick rule.

Pretty small sample size there. I'd wait until the end of the tournament before drawing any conclusions on the rule's impact or lack thereof.

The final end of the Olympics semi-finals match between Switzerland and Japan definitely would have played out much differently if weak shots weren't allowed.

03-21-22 08:02PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Pretty small sample size there

Also, the NTZ applies all throughout the game. There had been plenty of stolen 8th ends at this event. Starting the 8th with hammer is a good thing (2 hammers vs 1 if all goes according to plan), so stealing the 8th is a significant shift of momentum in a curling game, so much so that teams with hammer often tick the center guards in the 8th and be content with just scoring 1.

They can no longer apply that strategy at this event.

In any case, even the winning % in extra end doesn't change, the difficulty of the shots are increased, which means more entertainment value. Isn't that the best kind of change you'd want in a sport? (i.e. increasing the entertainment value without changing who wins and who loses)?

03-21-22 08:37PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
Isn't that the best kind of change you'd want in a sport? (i.e. increasing the entertainment value without changing who wins and who loses)?

What more challenging and interesting shot does a lead have than a well-executed weak takeout of the guard?

Then again, many broadcasts eliminate the lead stones altogether in favor of commercials, so I guess you might as well make those as quick and uninteresting as possible.

03-21-22 09:06PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

A simple remedy would be, you can’t move a rock in the free guard zone until you have or have had a rock in the house.
And no moving until at least the 4th rock of the end.
Guarantees an opportunity for at least one guard each if wanted.

03-21-22 09:28PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Just go all in and adopt mixed doubles rules. Take the first stone away from the leads and guarantee a guard. Makes the games faster and more fan friendly. And give teams the power play too, for even more excitement! Now we're playing with power!

03-21-22 09:46PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

My crazy idea to improve curling (please don't kill me) is to have a neutral black stone placed as a center guard at the beginning of every end.

The black stone does not belong to either team. It does not score if it's in the house. If an end concludes with only the black stone in the house, it's considered a blanked end.

If a team removes the black stone out of play, that team receives -1 point penalty. It's expected that purposeful removal of the black stone becomes part of strategy, i.e. it's not against the rules to deliberately remove the black stone out of play.

In an extra end, if the team with hammer removes the black stone, it must score 2 to win. Scoring only 1 will trigger a double extra end due to the -1 point penalty, and hammer switches to opposite team.

Just for fun, we can make the black stone bigger and heavier than regular stones.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-21-22 at 10:06PM

03-21-22 10:03PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Back to Worlds, another new lineup for the Japanese team today. Ishigooka in at lead, Matsumura at second, and Suzuki is the alternate.

03-21-22 10:11PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Ishigooka

Is there an audio clip we can send to commentators so they know how to pronounce her name? I'm pretty sure that's 5 syllables (i.e. "O-O" are two separate syllables, like "Uh-oh!"), but commentators have been saying it as 4 syllables (i.e. "OO" like "Boo!").

Vic Rauter also says Ikue as i-Koe, like Kevin Koe but repackaged as an Apple product.

03-21-22 10:23PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:

Is there an audio clip we can send to commentators so they know how to pronounce her name? I'm pretty sure that's 5 syllables (i.e. "O-O" are two separate syllables, like "Uh-oh!"), but commentators have been saying it as 4 syllables (i.e. "OO" like "Boo!").

In practice, it is in fact pronounced as a single long "oo" sound as those announcers are doing. Your way would be like pronouncing Tokyo ("Tou-kyou") as "To-oo-kyo-oo", which may be correct in the book sense, but not actually said by anyone in practice.

Here's Google Translate demostrating the correct pronunciation:

https://translate.google.com/?sl=ja...A1&op=translate

Last edited by hailstone on 03-21-22 at 10:26PM

03-21-22 10:35PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
In practice, it is in fact pronounced as a single long "oo" sound as those announcers are doing

Rhona Martin basically says it more like "chicken coop", where I think the correct way is closer to something like "cooperation".

03-21-22 10:37PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Vic Rauter also says Ikue as i-Koe, like Kevin Koe but repackaged as an Apple product.

You’re a Turd with a capital T. Or Terd. Canada vs US spelling. As much as I’ve chirped Against Vic/dick Rauter over the years, you as a chirper from literally the cheap seats, # roblowe literally, have no idea what you’re talkin’ bout. In your so called southern words. Google it. Yes, again I’m a bit harsh but have to defend a Canadian icon, like him or not. I’m ok and tolerate Vic, but for someone outside Canada to bemoan one of our greats, love him or hate him, that’s blasphemy!!

Bash one of your own. Like all Fox News!!

Go Canada Go.

03-21-22 10:42PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
a Canadian icon, like him or not

I've never complained about Vic Rauter ever on this forum. What I said about his mispronunciation of Ikue is not a complaint against him, it's just a fact that pronouncing foreign names is difficult.

To Vic's credit, he pronounced Dilşat Yıldız pretty close to correct. He said on air that he made an effort to talk to the Turkish coach to get pronunciation correct, and I believe him 100%.

But he was wrong in how he pronounce Ikue. That's not a sin that he should go to hell for, but I think we should make an effort to pronounce athlete names correctly in an international competition.

03-21-22 11:03PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

I've yet to hear the announcer that gets every name perfect. Japanese commentators routinely mispronounce names of foreigners simply because the phonetic sounds don't exist in the language.

So long as I know who they're talking about, I'm willing to let name pronunciation slide if they know what they're talking about with regards to curling.

03-21-22 11:13PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

For what it's worth, I do have aspiration of making a video of nothing but curlers pronouncing their own names, so commentators can use it as reference.

By the way, this issue isn't just limited to "foreign athletes". Most people can't even pronounce Gushue correctly.

https://twitter.com/BradGushue/stat...610303253827586

03-22-22 12:36AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Some pretty poor shots by Team Kitazawa in ends 7 and 8, but an absolute meltdown in the ninth. Despite missing just about every shot in the end, they still had a simple pocket to draw into for one, yet completely missed it to give up a steal of two.

What once seemed like a lock turns into being behind by one going into the last end.