M: USA Curling Under-5 National Championship
Chaska, MN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 1:00pm CT
Mellin 11  8th
Meyer  Watch Live Curling!
Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-29-22 02:40PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

TSN should have Cathy helping the play by play instead of just doing updates. She is good announcer and brings some front end perspective and a sense of humor that is lacking in the usual 3. Of course asking TSN to change the same old same old broadcast that they've been doing for decades is a tall order. If Cheryl tests positive they will probably have just Vic announcing with Cathy still doing updates.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-29-22 02:48PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
TSN should have Cathy helping the play by play instead of just doing updates. She is good announcer and brings some front end perspective and a sense of humor that is lacking in the usual 3. Of course asking TSN to change the same old same old broadcast that they've been doing for decades is a tall order. If Cheryl tests positive they will probably have just Vic announcing with Cathy still doing updates.

I cannot agree more. It's offensive after their big show of having her at the intro podium. I guess they want someone for updates but the way they do updates they really might as well not bother.

01-29-22 03:18PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I'd like to see a bonus secondary broadcast, maybe a behind-the-scenes webstream, of the update bench during a session. They occasionally show Gauthier watching 4 games on multiple monitors with all sorts of control buttons, presumably to control cameras and mics.

I'm under the impression that Gauthier has full director power to focus on whatever she wants, as opposed to the main announcers who has an actual program director making those decisions for them.

01-29-22 04:57PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

This tournament feels like amateur hour in comparison to past national championships. The coverage sorely misses Russ and some ambient crowd noise. Not having Jones/Homan there isn't helping either. The star power is absent, and I don't see anyone jumping up to fill the void.

I'm also not liking this format. We don't need 18 teams when only five of them could realistically win. The field is diluted. You can't even get all of these teams on TV. Including three teams from the territories is still a joke. Three wild card teams is excessive too, unless you are acknowledging that the provincial playdown system is a poor way of selecting participants. They are much, much better curlers then I could ever be, but we're talking about a national title here. They shouldn't be flashing open hits, missing the eight foot, or struggling to sweep end to end.

I used to love this tournament, but coming after the Olympic Trials, this obviously pales in comparison.

01-29-22 05:13PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

The biggest issue is the quality of play. The women's trials was arguably the worst played national women's tournament in a couple decades; only one team played well and they lost the final. Now we're seeing the same thing. Curling Canada is focused on Beijing but there's a 5 alarm fire in the women's game back here at home.

01-29-22 05:24PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Lotta steals so far, guess that's to be expected in opening games before players get comfortable. Shocking misses by Walker to give away the game. Einarson team head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of communication, if I'm coach of a young team I'd have them watch how TCanada go about their business.

01-29-22 06:02PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Not sure how to rate Zacharias. Will be interesting to watch them. They could be very good.

01-29-22 06:27PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel

They might be on track for one of the biggest front/back season differences in history. This was the risk, though, of not having your actual team for the opening. Crawford is one of those teams that usually needs to warm up but they came out fairly strong and a hobbled Fleury couldn't match it. Hopefully Fleury is back tonight because their night game against Barker could go the same way: Barker is more than capable of putting a great game together and beating a 75% Fleury team.

In all fairness to the Fleury front end without Tracy it is only about 40% team.

01-29-22 06:30PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD
This tournament feels like amateur hour in comparison to past national championships. The coverage sorely misses Russ and some ambient crowd noise. Not having Jones/Homan there isn't helping either. The star power is absent, and I don't see anyone jumping up to fill the void.

I'm also not liking this format. We don't need 18 teams when only five of them could realistically win. The field is diluted. You can't even get all of these teams on TV. Including three teams from the territories is still a joke. Three wild card teams is excessive too, unless you are acknowledging that the provincial playdown system is a poor way of selecting participants. They are much, much better curlers then I could ever be, but we're talking about a national title here. They shouldn't be flashing open hits, missing the eight foot, or struggling to sweep end to end.

I used to love this tournament, but coming after the Olympic Trials, this obviously pales in comparison.

The field was watered down years ago when CC decided to be politically correct and let the territories each have an entry.

01-29-22 07:27PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

I'm perfectly fine with the addition of each territory having an entry, they're as much of part of Canasda as say, Manitoba, and talent has come out of the NWT (Koe siblings).

01-29-22 08:00PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I'd like to hear an explanation for Northern Ontario in Scotties/Brier, though. I'm not Canadian, but from what I understand, there is no such thing as a Northern Ontario province. And yet somehow there's a Northern Ontario team in Scotties/Brier.

What makes Ontario special? Why can't other provinces have two or more teams based on geography? Online sources say that Quebec and British Columbia are larger than Ontario, so why don't they get more than two teams?

Manitoba and Alberta are smaller than Ontario, but arguably have more depth in curling. Why aren't they split into West/East or North/South?

01-29-22 08:12PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

History and mainly population. Ontario has over 1/3 the Canadian population and almost double that of second place Quebec. But I think in terms of curlers it isn’t justified. The Scottie’s didn’t have it until recently either and then it was a carry over from the Brier (while Team Canada went to the Brier).

01-29-22 09:23PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Good grief the “top teams” all seem to be struggling. While Team Fleury is missing their skip, the rest should be much better than that. I suppose a lack of events has hurt these teams. Even. NU is keeping it close with Team Carey.

01-30-22 12:44AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Just curious. Watching flames game with 10000 fans in AB. Most fans no masks or half masks below their nose, including coaches. Yet zero in Ontario. WTF. And elsewhere. Who’s right. Who’s wrong. Is anybody wrong. You’re going to be exposed. You’re going to catch it. 2 vax + booster odds are you won’t die. Sick maybe. Hospitalized unlikely. Trump called Ontario, Johnny hockey still scored.

01-30-22 09:10AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Just curious. Watching flames game with 10000 fans in AB. Most fans no masks or half masks below their nose, including coaches. Yet zero in Ontario. WTF. And elsewhere. Who’s right. Who’s wrong. Is anybody wrong. You’re going to be exposed. You’re going to catch it. 2 vax + booster odds are you won’t die. Sick maybe. Hospitalized unlikely. Trump called Ontario, Johnny hockey still scored.

We have Premier flip flop in Ontario. Open/close/open/close. Things are open to 50% as of January 31 but Curling Canada decided against it. Personally I think they could have allowed it, for example keep the lower sections empty, no interaction with the athletes. Separate entrance for the athletes etc…

01-30-22 09:54AM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Hospitalizations for Covid are at a record high in Hellberta. People still dying from it on the daily. Down play it if you will but going about to sporting events maskless is playing Russian roulette.

01-30-22 10:19AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Maggie

Hospitalizations for Covid are at a record high in Hellberta. People still dying from it on the daily. Down play it if you will but going about to sporting events maskless is playing Russian roulette.

Cherry picking just a bit Maggie?
4 waves of hospitalizations / cases
900/20000
700/24000
1100/ 20000
1400/ 71000

Icu

You might say hospitalizations are at a record low compared to active cases.

Alberta is doing very well percentage wise. And the total active cases are coming down rapidly. Right now 40000ish.
Alberta govt is using the current numbers to allow spectators.
So is Ontario.
Curling Canada??????????

Last edited by guido on 01-30-22 at 10:26AM

01-30-22 10:23AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Double tap

01-30-22 10:43AM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by guido

Cherry picking just a bit Maggie?
4 waves of hospitalizations / cases
900/20000
700/24000
1100/ 20000
1400/ 71000

Icu

You might say hospitalizations are at a record low compared to active cases.

Alberta is doing very well percentage wise. And the total active cases are coming down rapidly. Right now 40000ish.
Alberta govt is using the current numbers to allow spectators.
So is Ontario.
Curling Canada??????????

What’s your source, guido?
There are more people in the hospital during this wave in AB than during any other wave. To say that this wave isn’t causing hospitalization is wrong. AB govt makes decisions based on keeping the base happy, not on public health. Testing is down and RATs impossible to get so of course cases are coming down.

01-30-22 10:53AM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

I'm not sure what the raw numbers and %s relative to cases matter. At this juncture it's simple: is there hospital capacity? In Ontario the answer is no (compounded by staff leave/shortages). I doubt Thunder Bay Regional is enthusiastic about a spike in case.

01-30-22 11:30AM
guido
Super Rockchucker

All this info can be found on all provincial govt websites. Takes about a 30 second google session.
Ontario hospitalizations for Covid are down 25% in the last 10 days. Yes, they have lots of capacity.
Alberta is trending down and when they report tomorrow, I suspect hospitalizations will begin to trend down as they were about 10 days behind Ontarios wave.

The provincial government’s don’t make these decisions on a whim. The numbers support them.
Again, Curling Canada knows better??????

01-30-22 02:39PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by guido
All this info can be found on all provincial govt websites. Takes about a 30 second google session.
Ontario hospitalizations for Covid are down 25% in the last 10 days. Yes, they have lots of capacity.
Alberta is trending down and when they report tomorrow, I suspect hospitalizations will begin to trend down as they were about 10 days behind Ontarios wave.

The provincial government’s don’t make these decisions on a whim. The numbers support them.
Again, Curling Canada knows better??????

d

Any decisions being made by govts/organizations are really darned if you do/darned if you don't scenarios. Is it really worth it to create a possible super spreader situation to allow 500 people to see 3 or 4 games? Good decision finally by CC.
Someone suggested letting spectators come in by a different entrance. In smaller arenas like TB is, that is difficult to do. Would also require more volunteers to check ID/vax status etc.

01-31-22 12:07PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I check for Scotties stuff here. Seems every thread is getting hijacked by covid stuff. Can there be a thread, just for that? Asking for a friend? One comment about a covid case in the event thread, then move over for policy, societal behavior stuff? LeSigh.
What a barn burner Miskew/ Njegovan. Is it the ice or the absent skippers?

01-31-22 12:28PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Watching the favorites stumble and watching someone like Andrea Crawford beat Fleury/Njegovan and Homan/Miskew, and now Birt and PEI - makes even more sure that just appointing the biggest name team to the Olympic doubles spot was a questionable decision.

You know, usually when a lower ranked team rips off to the top of the pool early, they just got lucky scheduled - but I don't think NB had lucky scheduled. They've still got Carey, McCarville, Barker and Hill left to play... which is not a cakewalk but is certainly the easier half of the schedule.

01-31-22 12:30PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
I check for Scotties stuff here. Seems every thread is getting hijacked by covid stuff. Can there be a thread, just for that? Asking for a friend? One comment about a covid case in the event thread, then move over for policy, societal behavior stuff? LeSigh.
What a barn burner Miskew/ Njegovan. Is it the ice or the absent skippers?

That 5 was not the ice that was several bad calls and bad misses. Multiple moments when they could have hit instead of playing the run back and kept them to 3 or even 4 but missed the runback instead.

Crawford is looking pretty good right now. She still has yet to play SK, NO, NL and WC2. I'd put her as a favourite against NL and even-odds against SK/WC2. Extremely good chance they manage at least 5-3 with realistic they go as high as 7-1.