Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 21 -- Thu, Apr 25 -- 7:00am ET
CAN (Flemming) 11  Final
DEN (Qvist) (6)
PHI (Ochoco) Final
FIN (Kirjonen) 11  (8)
NOR (Davanger) 10  Final
CRO (Skendrovic) (6)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 5 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-16-23 11:27AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Scotties 2023

It is very sad to see CZ become almost irrelevant. Very few comments on any of the provincial playdowns for the Scotties and Brier. While Manitoba Legend was too often off the rocks he at least had the ability to get a discussion going.
Can anyone stop Einarson?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-16-23 11:46AM
abcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for abcurler Click here to Send abcurler a Private Message Find more posts by abcurler Add abcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
abcurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

I am proudly routing for.
ONTARIO
WC2
and I always cheer for PEI.
Teams I think capable of beating Canada
Manitoba
WC1
Northern Ontario

Realistically, it should come down to a final between Homan/Fluery vs Team Einerson.

02-16-23 02:51PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I predict Einarson will win 4th consecutive Scotties, but she'd be put through the wringer to do so. There'll be steals, big ends, dramatic misses, unnecessarily close games, maybe even a surprising loss or two.

I also predict one shining Coach Carruthers moment. Like maybe none of the players saw a shot for the win, but they called a timeout and Coach Carruthers came through with a shot that they'll then make.

02-16-23 09:20PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Oh, here's a bold prediction: they will use sensor handles to enforce hog line violation rule.

I don't think curling has given up on sensor handles just yet.

02-16-23 10:33PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

I predict lots of angry American cur,ing fans because it’s been confirmed we can’t watch it live this year because ESPN hasn’t picked it up.

02-17-23 10:39AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

It's going to very likely come down to jones, Homan or einarson.

Lawes had the best shot of upsetting them . Mccarville always finds that extra gear at the scotties but I can't see her going on a run this year. Scheidegger isn't having a great season . If you'd asked me a few years ago I'd give her a shot. Not now. Silvernagle and grandy can be dangerous but I don't see them challenging at the end. Quebec is incredibly over rated .

The problem is in order to win youre likely going to have to go through all 3 of einarson, Homan and Jones and I don't think any of those teams i mentioned aside from maybe a red hot lawes is capable of that. And that's a big maybe

02-17-23 07:50PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

Teams with a chance to win:

1. Canada - heavy favourite
2. Ontario - worried that Homan might never win another STOH
3. WC1 - Team Lawes can easily finish 2nd in their group behind Canada
4. Manitoba - I'm a huge Jones fan, but I just don't see her winning another STOH

Nearly impossible longshots:

5. Northern Ontario - I know they've knocked on the door before, but I still can't buy them beating Team Canada
6. WC2 - I don't think Scheidegger would ever flourish under the immense pressure of a STOH final

Reaching the playoffs would be a big accomplishment:

7. Nova Scotia
8. New Brunswick
9. BC
10. Alberta
11. Saskatchewan
12. WC3
13. PEI
14. Northwest Territories
15. Newfoundland & Labrador
16. Quebec
17. Nunavut
18. Yukon

02-18-23 12:32AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

People on Twitter are saying the sensor handles are acting up again. Unfortunately there's no coverage on ESPN3, so I haven't been watching.

Can someone explain what happened?

Official report:
Hog Line Violation
Ashton Skrlik AB (SKR) Draw 1 End 1

Devin Heroux:
"A hogline violation for Ashton Skrlik on her first throw at the Scotties. The lights went off on the handle. ARE THEY STILL USING THESE ELECTRONIC HANDLES?!"

Félix Asselin:
"So we are 1 end down and the handles have already gone nuts 😂"

curling_robots:
"The real question is does anyone know *why* the electronic handles are still failing because it's been how many years now?"

Colin Hodgson:
"Can we self police hoglines yet?"

Warren Hansen:
"Who said there were rock handle issues….slide over the line with your hand on the stone and the light goes on…last time I checked it is the rule!"

Last edited by curlingclips on 02-18-23 at 02:00AM

02-18-23 03:03PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

There was debate if Alberta's lead actually hogged the rock on her first shot or it was a stone issue but on the replay I think she did. So there wasn't actually an issue with the rock. Skrlik thought she had an issue later, too, before throwing but the official helped her. I think she didn't quite know how to reset them as this should be her first experience.

Sooooooo...no actual issue. But what a game; devastating for Alberta.

02-18-23 03:12PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
Sooooooo...no actual issue.

I hope that's the case, but keep in mind that there's a history of problems with these handles, so much so that they were disabled at 2022 Olympics for causing too much trouble. We haven't seen them used for an event from start to finish since who knows when it's been so long.

I did predict that they will be brought back for 2023 Scotties for Day 1. I'm less confident that they will remain in use all the way to the end.

02-18-23 03:15PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Joanne Courtney was fantastic in the booth. What a breath of fresh air and real insight.

02-18-23 04:38PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

I just came here because I felt compelled to make the exact same point. Already today we have her and Russ mutually discussing technical details bout paths. She's speaking about stroke rate for the sweepers. She's speaking about her own experience playing these teams.

I've always preferred the TSN male commentators to the average on SN (Martin is good, Harris not). For the colour guy Vic is far better than Foulds for me. The weak link was always Cheryl who had a great presence but wasn't interesting. Jo is just fascinating to listen to, really adding value to the viewing experience. And I know she did some CBC Olympics and random stuff but she's essentially brand new, so this is very exciting.

02-18-23 05:00PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
And I know she did some CBC Olympics and random stuff

She was great even way back then.

Her greatest commentary moment in my opinion is when she stood up against Mike Harris to defend Brad Gushue for removing a stone that Benoît Schwarz burned.

Of course then Curling Canada changed the rule for 2022-2026, so now there's not even a debate that Courtney & Gushue was right all along.

02-18-23 06:41PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

Lots of half-shots and full misses in the Manitoba-Northern Ontario game. I can't take either of these teams seriously as contenders unless/until they dramatically improve. Team Canada would outplay them 10 times out of 10 right now and most of the games wouldn't be close.

Side note: I love the no-tick rule.

02-18-23 07:08PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

I know she was playing NFLD but those Homan shots were straight out of 2014. Terrifying for the field. Remember she's made 3 straight finals but had mediocre weeks each of those years. She hasn't put together a GREAT week since 2017.

02-18-23 08:05PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

What a weird call on Jones's last shot in 9. When you have a coach the calibre of Glen Howard who clearly didn't want that shot played, you deserved to lose the game. Reminded me of Martins weird decision years ago. Sometimes skips believe that they are immortal.
And why is Zacharias playing 2nd? she is such a weak sweeper. In fact the entire front end needs to watch the sweepers on Einarson's team.

02-18-23 09:07PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

After just two draws Courtney has clearly demonstrated she has the ability to provide a much needed dimention to the existing TSN curling crew.

Wonderful news for TV curling fans everwhere in Canada.

02-18-23 09:20PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
Joanne Courtney was fantastic in the booth. What a breath of fresh air and real insight.

Like....and agree

A fresh voice and fresh thoughts and ideas. Someone who's actually played in the last 15-20 years.

02-19-23 10:07AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

I agree with the positive comments for Joanne Courtney. I do not think she will try to become part of Rauter's comedy act. Not that there is much left in his tank anymore and the broadcast could use a fresh voice. Russ is still ok and I think having Courtney will be good for him. Now I don't agree with everything Joanne says either but it is her strong point in providing comments without being too critical (aka Kevin Martin) and she is doing a fantastic job of that.

02-19-23 10:42AM
EPMD
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by decade
What a weird call on Jones's last shot in 9. When you have a coach the calibre of Glen Howard who clearly didn't want that shot played, you deserved to lose the game. Reminded me of Martins weird decision years ago. Sometimes skips believe that they are immortal.
And why is Zacharias playing 2nd? she is such a weak sweeper. In fact the entire front end needs to watch the sweepers on Einarson's team.

I think Jones was about to take Howard's advice, but after Howard had left the playing area, Burgess started adamantly saying things to the effect of, "I like it. Let's do it!" which she hadn't been saying before and really wasn't doing the entire game to that point. Jones should have still overruled her, but I put some of the blame on Burgess for piping up at the worst time.

Blame aside, it was a horrible decision that anyone watching would be puzzled about. They still had a chance of winning with a tie score coming home, especially with no tick shots. The 9th end shot they attempted had at best a 5% chance of working. That Northern Ontario team played very poorly for their standards and should consider themselves lucky to have won.

The harsh truth about Team Jones is that Jennifer misses too many shots now. She actively has to manage around the 1-2 ends a game where she drops points through her own key misses. I could feel her failed draw in the 5th (up 4-3 with hammer) coming from a mile away.

02-19-23 02:20PM
EPMD
Swing Artist

Homan and Fleury were badly outplayed by Rizzo and Flemming in the ON vs. NT game. That's a worrying loss for Team Homan, who now have a lot more pressure on tonight's game against McCarville. Team Galusha might actually sneak a 3rd place in their group.

Looking forward to Lawes vs. Einarson. They might meet again in the Final.

02-19-23 09:49PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I'm just going to say it. This is the weakest team Jones as ever had with her . Zacharias and Burgess are just a weak middle end. The make way to any half shots.

And I truly don't get the hype around Burgess . She is one dimensional. She's a great hitter but she can't daw at all. 9 times out of 10 she will miss a draw or sort weight shot . And it's getting tiring with the crew endlessly praise her and say " oh it's not like her to struggle that much with her draws". Yes it is. Every time I have seen her play she has had terrible to average draw weight .

And on the ice? .the ice here sucks. It's just not good.

Good to see galusha get off to this start. They were the darkhorse to get out of the group and beating Homan makes that far more likely.

Lawes and mccarville are very fortunate to be 2-0/2-1.

The 3 best teams from early on her ive seen are Canada., Nova Scotia and northwest territories . I expect things to change but it should be interesting if they can keep up that level of play

02-19-23 10:35PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Well I’m not impressed with Fleury. Hogline violations, heavy, light.

Rachel flashing angry eyes at her!

02-20-23 11:51AM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Well I’m not impressed with Fleury. Hogline violations, heavy, light.

Rachel flashing angry eyes at her!

I agree, Let Homan skip, Emmy vice and Fleury throw second. I hope that this experiment is a one year and done thing. Fleury has never exuded confidence even with her prior teams.

02-20-23 12:13PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

If Fleury does not come out of her funk and add at least 10 percentage points to her current Scotties' average, should she expect to receive a one-way ticket to Sudbury at the end of the season?