Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 11 of 11 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-03-21 01:16AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

The Women's World Championships were cancelled AFTER the bubble events had been scheduled. Bubble announced early December, WWC cancelled in February.

^ Sigh...
I realize that.
What I'm saying - for the third time now - is that, as they viewed the 'Calgary bubble' as a potential safe spot for curling - thus scheduling several events for that location -, they should have AT THAT TIME included the Women's Worlds, just as they included the Men's Worlds.
At that time, Switzerland was obviously an unknown as to whether they'd play there or cancel it. As soon as the 'Calgary bubble' was thought of as a solution and a potentially safe place for curling to take place, they should have pulled the Women's Worlds from Switzerland and scheduled it in the 'Calgary 'bubble'. Instead, they prioritized the Mixed Doubles and the Grand Slams, which is questionable.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-03-21 01:31AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
I think if it's safe to do so, hold the women's worlds in the Calgary bubble. Key word is IF? Hold the 2022 back in Switzerland. Each country gets bumped back 1 year. However, like the men's this year, is it worth infecting a province or country by having teams from around the world fly in with new variances of the pandemic, for the sake of a game. Again, for the sake of a game. My family health is much more important than if it trickles across the country. I do hope this Brier bubble goes without any troubles like the Scotties, but as far as worlds, why invite outside potential infectees that countries have banned travel to and from, to come here to Canada to do just that. Sometimes.....lives are worth more than TV revenue. Some may say too critical, others may say I'd rather see my mom alive than curling between Germany and Japan. A bit on the serious side, but, worth thinking about in these times. Just ask someone who's lost someone to covid.

My first thought when word of curling in the 'Calgary bubble' came out was "That's crazy and irresponsible". At the time, Alberta was the province with one of - if not THE - highest rates of COVID-19 infections and deaths in Canada.

But they played the 'Scotties', and everything went well. Alberta's COVID-19 numbers are significantly better now than they were when the 'Calgary bubble' concept was announced.

With the variant threat being very real, I still believe that the most prudent, safest, and best thing to do would be to have none of this curling. But, at the same time, the selfish curling fan in me is happy that they are going ahead with it. Not being able to curl or to watch any live curling this winter has been difficult (but certainly not life threatening). It was quite enjoyable to finally watch live curling last week... and it will be nice to watch more live curling in the weeks to come.
But if something bad occurs within the 'Calgary bubble' - if any person in the bubble (be it a player or staff or anyone else) contracts the virus as a result of being in the bubble, and suffers damaging consequences, then the curling would clearly not have been worth it. I'm glad it's not my decision to make, and I don't envy the people making it.

Then again, realistically, don't we all have just as much chance (or even more) of contracting the virus at the grocery store or Walmart as the people in the 'Calgary bubble' have of contracting it within the bubble?
People in the curling bubble are being tested regularly. The same cannot be said of the shoppers at the grocery stores or Walmarts we visit.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-03-21 11:12PM
hogged again is online now Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

^ Sigh...
I realize that.
What I'm saying - for the third time now - is that, as they viewed the 'Calgary bubble' as a potential safe spot for curling - thus scheduling several events for that location -, they should have AT THAT TIME included the Women's Worlds, just as they included the Men's Worlds.
At that time, Switzerland was obviously an unknown as to whether they'd play there or cancel it. As soon as the 'Calgary bubble' was thought of as a solution and a potentially safe place for curling to take place, they should have pulled the Women's Worlds from Switzerland and scheduled it in the 'Calgary 'bubble'. Instead, they prioritized the Mixed Doubles and the Grand Slams, which is questionable.

I'm sure that when the bubble was being put together in November that they asked the Swiss organizers if they wanted to move the WWC. Obviously if they thought they would have to cancel the Swiss would've agreed. You can't just "pull" an event from someone who at the time thinks they can still pull it off.

03-04-21 01:50AM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

I'm sure that when the bubble was being put together in November that they asked the Swiss organizers if they wanted to move the WWC. Obviously if they thought they would have to cancel the Swiss would've agreed. You can't just "pull" an event from someone who at the time thinks they can still pull it off.

Well - given Canada's position in the curling world, and the fact that Canada missed out on the Women's Worlds last year, I believe that if Curling Canada had made an effort to place the Women's Worlds in the 'Calgary bubble' (on its original date), it would have been put there.

Think about it - the 'curling world' (the different curling federations in various countries, the WCF, etc.) obviously agreed that the 'Calgary bubble' was a potentially safe place for curling to occur. The Men's Worlds would not have been placed there without such agreement. Meanwhile, all other curling venues were precarious, including Switzerland.
So, if a specific location is agreed upon as a potentially safe place to hold major events, it only makes sense that BOTH the Men's Worlds AND the Women's Worlds would be scheduled for that location.