M: USA Curling Under-5 National Championship
Chaska, MN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 1:00pm CT
Mellin 11  8th
Meyer  Watch Live Curling!
Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-05-22 10:30PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

I thought the New Brunswick front end was going to fall on their third's final shot of the extra end. They would have been better off hogging that disaster of a stone, which practically handed the game to NO.

But we got a tense game with an exciting final two ends, which is good to see in a tournament that needed a bit of a lift. The crowd really helps the event too by adding to the atmosphere and making both teams much more nervous. The time outs and sweeping calls were filled with panic.

I wasn't impressed with McCarville. Too many steals allowed, and even in the extra end, her first shot guard attempt was missed so badly it might as well have been hogged. I like the chances of Einarson running the table on Sunday.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-05-22 10:31PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

That McCarville - Crawford game was fantastic.
I feel bad for Andrea's team - they were in control through 3/4 of the game. She had a shot to win it, but just missed - needed to curl another 1/2 inch.
I don't know why they didn't try to come off their own on the other side - that seemed to be a more natural angle.

In any case, it was one of the best games I've seen in a while. There were nervous mistakes in the last end by both teams, but overall, it was a great game.
Let's hope that these two teams meet again in the Final tomorrow night.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

02-05-22 10:37PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by alex

I'm not sure that all of McCarville's team play in Thunder bay league. It is a long commute from Sudbury although maybe they all are in Thunder Bay now. I do agree that it is nice to have teams from one club although they might need to split up for club competitions.

Kendra is listed on the team that plays weekly in thunder bay

02-05-22 10:58PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

It's embarassing how many times this week a team is playing one shot and Cheryl thinks they are playing another. Tonight after a long NO discussion and call and the rock coming down the ice and she is going on about a totally different call. Listen to the players CB.

02-06-22 06:22AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

The problem is you can’t listen and cackle at the same time. Even worse when Russ is there because they’re talking over each other while the call is being made.

Also, any news on Russ’s health and his possible return? I hope all is ok.

02-06-22 09:22AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
The problem is you can’t listen and cackle at the same time. Even worse when Russ is there because they’re talking over each other while the call is being made.

Vic said that Russ will not be back to the Scotties.

Crawford allows the front end too much important. The last time out was a zoo. Even the coach had to try and get the front end to listen. Crawford missing easy take outs was her problem. Einerson should make mince meat out of her if she can't get her act together.

02-06-22 11:51AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Such a great pair of games yesterday (well minus the back half of the 3 v 4). Hopefully more like that today. Impressive for McCarville to pull this off in TB as she dreamed. I'm hoping for NB/NO final with either winning good though I guess the Gushue-in-St.Johns vibe of NO winning would be a bit more exciting.

02-06-22 12:22PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

Kind of a joke that Einarson gets last rock for this semifinal. Surely the loser of the 1-2 page playoff game should get last rock advantage. Does the winner of this game also get last rock against McCarville? That would be ridiculous.

02-06-22 01:01PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Exactly. I have no time for the TSN 3 amigo Vic/Russ/Cheryl crew but I must admit this week's broadcast was better than usual without Russ. Vic is way more goofy when Russ is there, Russ and Cheryl listen for about 2 seconds during timeouts and then fall over each other talking about what to do and more airtime for Cathy is a good thing. It's only gone to a C+ from a C but still it's improved.
I hope all 3 pack it in after this year. Let Benny H replace Vic, Gushue in for Russ and Cathy in for Cheryl.

02-06-22 03:19PM
Par89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par89 Find more posts by Par89 Add Par89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par89
Swing Artist

NO ONE talks more than Cathy.
Vic has to say everyone’s name over and over.

02-06-22 03:48PM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

So Einarson has a chance to win 3 Scotties in a row tonight, something that’s only been done 3 other times in history (Pezer, Colleen Jones and Jennifer Jones).

McCarville looking for that first really big championship, at home no less.

Einarson certainly the favourite. They’ve been exceptional all week, other than the page seeding game.

02-06-22 03:54PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Hack Weight
Einarson certainly the favourite.

I haven't been watching, so I'm not sure if they mentioned this in broadcast, but CurlingZone head-to-head records says McCarville is up 5W-2L against Einarson (2W-0L this season).

https://www.curlingzone.com/event.p...wskipid=16827#1

02-06-22 04:09PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

I don’t believe there is a favourite in this game.
Einarson been there before, knows what it takes to win.
McCarvilles been there before, learned from losing.
Home field advantage.
Even odds.

02-06-22 05:20PM
EasyEd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EasyEd Click here to Send EasyEd a Private Message Find more posts by EasyEd Add EasyEd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EasyEd
Knee-Slider

Hey All,

Been some time since I posted but used to curl and watch it alot.

The McCarville Crawford match was great but very disappointing in a way. Crawford and her third simply blew it in 8 9 and 10. Why? I wonder if it isn't largely due to not playing enough high level teams (i.e. the pressure simply gets too them). The great ones in most any sport simply know how to step up when the pressure is the greatest and that comes from experience. Does not playing the tour hurt teams like McCarville and Crawford? Yes I think Einarson has it wrapped up but we will see. I may be wrong if McCarville plays the game of her life and/or Einarson has a rare bad game.

The other thing I wonder about is strategy. It seems to me like these teams want to "mix it up" too much and try to out tap each other and simply don't recognize ahead of time when it is time to bail. At what point in an end does best defense is a good offense become a bad strategy? I remember noticing that Jennifer Jones was/is good at recognizing those moments.

Anyway I am looking forward to the final.

-Ed-

02-06-22 06:15PM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Par89
NO ONE talks more than Cathy.
Vic has to say everyone’s name over and over.

Totally agree about Cathy! In addition, quite often she doesn't know what shot is actually being played.

02-06-22 06:17PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

why can't people just be happy they are showing curling.

Always have something to critizize. Put your tv on mute!

02-06-22 07:21PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
why can't people just be happy they are showing curling.

Always have something to critizize. Put your tv on mute!

Well you see the whole point of a forum is to express opinions be they positive or negative.
And isn't critcizing criticism also criticizing?

02-06-22 07:39PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

yes, it is a forum. Just seems this comes up every time there is curling on. Can't people just be happy it is actually on, considering the world we are living in.

Be positive!

02-06-22 08:39PM
EPMD
Swing Artist

Halfway through the final, and Team Einarson is outshooting Team McCarville 86% to 76%. Einarson, again, has benefitted from having last rock to start, despite coming from the 3-4 playoff game.

Did Cathy really just say that they are replacing extra ends at the World Championship with draws to the button? That's an awful move!

02-06-22 09:01PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

yes, they are replacing extra ends with the draw.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...eroux-1.6189793

02-06-22 09:25PM
EPMD
Swing Artist

I really like the anti-tick shot rule, though. It reinforces the intent of the free guard zone, curling's best ever rule change, which the tick shot had been undermining.

02-06-22 09:29PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:

Why not just declare the team who smiles the most the winner?

This is ridiculous. Tragically, it's the way that pro sports is going - catering to the shrinking attention spans of people, where speed is preferred to all else.
Personally, I think it's pathetic.

Next, they'll cut all the games to 8 ends, as has already been discussed.
Then what? Might as well just flip a coin to see who wins instead of playing the game...
Sigh...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

02-06-22 09:31PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:

WCF just keeps shooting themselves in the foot.

02-06-22 09:36PM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD
I really like the anti-tick shot rule, though. It reinforces the intent of the free guard zone, curling's best ever rule change, which the tick shot had been undermining.

I very much disagree.
The 'tick shot' requires skill - and not allowing it is removing the opportunity to make a skilled shot.
The teams who successfully make the 'tick shot' are rewarded. Isn't that the foundation of every sport?
It's never good for the game when you remove opportunities for players to demonstrate a particular skill.

02-06-22 09:47PM
EPMD
Swing Artist

Peeling off rocks requires skill too, but it was agreed a long time ago that a game where you can peel with lead stones wasn't particularly fun to watch. The anti-tick shot is designed to keep the games more exciting down the stretch. Leads will still get an opportunity to demonstrate their skill by trying to cover the centre line with their guards.