Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 21 -- Thu, Apr 25 -- 7:00am ET
CAN (Flemming) 11  Final
DEN (Qvist) (6)
PHI (Ochoco) Final
FIN (Kirjonen) 11  (8)
NOR (Davanger) 10  Final
CRO (Skendrovic) (6)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Team Changes - Early Discussion

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 25 of 35 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-19-22 10:13AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
Got to wonder how thrilled the teams are for revealing these supposed lineup changes, I doubt they got permission and would have preferred to have posted them themselves.

I was thinking the same thing. I listened to the podcast and he even threw out rumoured changes yet to be confirmed. It was like he was spitballing throwing names out and speculating with a wink wink as though he knew already. Let the teams make the announcements. It might be fun on here for us to guess and speculate and maybe this guy with that guy, but to announce it as gospel without the teams announcing it, seems a bit unprofessional. I guess it’s all about the online “hits”.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-19-22 10:33AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

https://twitter.com/TeamGushue/stat...189074218409989

Gallant official.

I think it must be: residency ongoing discussion, Gallant got guaranteed offer from a team in Alberta and couldn't wait/didn't wait to be long distance. Gushue hoping residency will loosen for Harnden otherwise its someone from NL.

I agree re: Martin dropping this. Clearly not what Gushue wanted to be releasing on a Saturday when they want to focus on preparing for worlds. But it's Kevin Martin, Canada's greatest curler (maybe not anymore?) and biggest ego.

03-19-22 10:45AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

Anyone complaining or hinting at complaining about Martin confirming team changes and speculating on others is, once again, missing the bigger point. If curling wants to be a big time, mainstream sport, speculation and reporting go along with popular sports and is good.

Some people, Heroux included, are under the belief that no one should say anything until the team itself announces it. That’s not how professional sports work.

Gushue probably didn’t want the Gallant news breaking right now. Tough luck.. it’s news, it’s out there and it should be reported.

03-19-22 12:11PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Hack Weight
Anyone complaining or hinting at complaining about Martin confirming team changes and speculating on others is, once again, missing the bigger point. If curling wants to be a big time, mainstream sport, speculation and reporting go along with popular sports and is good.

Some people, Heroux included, are under the belief that no one should say anything until the team itself announces it. That’s not how professional sports work.

Gushue probably didn’t want the Gallant news breaking right now. Tough luck.. it’s news, it’s out there and it should be reported.

Exactly. If you don't want anyone to know, don't tell anyone! You know how grandma can't keep a secret.

03-19-22 12:13PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Gushue announcement Sat. morning:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/ar...-of-the-season/

03-19-22 12:36PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

How do all these changes affect the cashspiels next year that invite teams based upon points earned?
Do Koe, Dunstone, Bottcher, Fleury, Jones, Lawes, etc etc etc all start at 0 points and 2nd level teams that stuck together get invites because they carry points over? Do the Slams have "sponsor's invites" like golf tourns do?

03-19-22 12:47PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

If I recall correctly, the points carry over for all teams.

03-19-22 01:15PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Team Epping splitting, Matt and John will continue to play together

https://twitter.com/teamepping/stat...227798604128256

03-19-22 01:23PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Flasch staying together: https://twitter.com/TeamFlasch/stat...232548841938945

03-19-22 01:31PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
If I recall correctly, the points carry over for all teams.

So then Lawes/Peterman carry 1/2 of the points from their time with Jones and Njegovan/Mccuish brings 1/2 of points from time with Fleury? Is that how it works?

03-19-22 01:38PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

So then Lawes/Peterman carry 1/2 of the points from their time with Jones and Njegovan/Mccuish brings 1/2 of points from time with Fleury? Is that how it works?

I may be mistaken but I think the point system changed a few years ago. Each player has 20% of the teams points plus the team has 20%. That way if 3 of the original 4 stay together they would have 80% of the points and the one player leaving gets 20%.

In this case with 2 from each team they’d carry over 40% of each teams points and lose the 20% team points because there’s only 2 original from each team.
I think.

03-19-22 02:31PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
Last comment: what about Bottcher would annoy Gallant/Hebert? Other than the Moulding drama I'm not aware of any problems with him and his on ice behaviour is very pro. Part of the Moulding shock was that they seemed to have such good rapport. Hebert played with Koe for 8 years, an even more internal skip than Bottcher. Gallant played with Gushue, a very demanding boss (especially pre-2018). The issues on that team, to me, seem to be in the other direction and in the front end.

The difference between Koe and Gushue and Bottcher is age. I think Hebert respects Koe, and so when Kevin told him to shut up, Benny could handle that.
With Bottcher being considerably younger than Koe, I think Ben will have a hard time respecting him enough to do what he's told.
As well, I don't think Bottcher will be very tolerant of Ben's behaviour. Benny likes to talk (often in 4 letter words), and Bottcher loves his reputation as being squeaky clean and immaculate. Also, Benny likes to have input into strategy. Koe's experience and maturity could handle that (basically by brushing Benny off) - but I think it will get under Bottcher's skin quickly.

As for Gallant & Bottcher... as you mentioned, Gallant is a strong personality. It worked with Gushue because they seemed to kind of grow together. Again, Gushue is older than Bottcher, and when he and Gallant got together, Gallant wasn't as strong a personality as he is now. I think Bottcher will feel threatened by Gallant. I don't see a good chemistry happening between them... and I don't see a good dynamic happening with this team.

I kind of feel sorry for Kennedy, actually - I think he'll end up trying to be the 'peace link' between Bottcher and the front end.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-19-22 at 02:34PM

03-19-22 02:33PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
I kind of feel sorry for Kennedy, actually - I think he'll end up trying to be the 'peace link' between Bottcher and the front end.

Just quoting the end but some good thoughts there. Other than i don't agree Koe handled the chatter well; the last three teams have had awful communication...but they still won. This new Bottcher team is definitely a team that gives me a lot of pause. To me the front end seems like the obvious problem because it's bad enough having too many cooks in the kitchen but this is too many cooks just doing appetizers.

Meanwhile Done-stone makes it official: https://twitter.com/TeamMDunstone/s...242848228163587

And Lott a couple minutes later: https://twitter.com/TeamCLott/statu...245118227378176

Dunstone/Lott announcement incoming?

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 03-19-22 at 02:35PM

03-19-22 08:13PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

No need to announce. Kevin Martin announces for everybody. I agree with Devin Heroux, let the teams make their own announcements. Curling is not a professional sport like baseball football or hockey where the media pat themselves on the back for getting scoops. There’s only 4 players on a team vs 25, 50, or 21. Curling is more “civilized” where teams will make changes and announcements usually considering all those involved, cough Bottcher.... I digress. 99.9% of Canadian curlers are not professional. They all have jobs. Only the top handful of teams have enough sponsorship or CC funding to curl for free. Most teams have out of pocket expenses. I do think team changes should be treated differently than Martin being the TMZ of curling. Especially if his statements are wrong. Let the teams have their say, then feel free to comment. Otherwise, just yammer about your sons team, and shut your cake hole.

Last edited by IN-OFF-FOR-2 on 03-19-22 at 08:47PM

03-20-22 11:50AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/ar...or-next-season/

Dunstone, BJ, Lott, Ryan Harnden is now official. Big, bad Kevin Martin reported it a few days ago. Reporting news is such a terrible thing to do.. should always wait until the person making the news gets to report it themselves and/or decide if they want to.

That team will be good but not great? I think Dunstone improved his team, but only marginally. Still a step behind Gushue, Koe, Bottcher.

03-20-22 06:45PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Interesting tidbit on Canadian Press and TSN. Gushue calls out Martin and Hansen for inappropriate and inaccurate comments...

https://www.tsn.ca/olympic-medallis...1d--zIlD2Im42Ew

No one should even be listening to this podcast. Nothing more, really, than Warren Hansen repeatedly patting himself on the back and declaring himself the savior of curling. The guy is way past his best before date and comes across often as delusional.

03-20-22 07:09PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

I had many a comment of mine replied up by a mansplaining Warren. He always thinks I'm wrong, tells me to listen to the podcast. Maybe I have Warren, still disagree with you.

03-20-22 07:19PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I had many a comment of mine replied up by a mansplaining Warren. He always thinks I'm wrong, tells me to listen to the podcast. Maybe I have Warren, still disagree with you.

100% agree with brad on this. Both those hacks should not be releasing info that has not been confirmed by those involved rather than basing it on hearsay and I heard it from a friend, who heard it from an insider, who heard it from his neighbour’s babysitter.

And as for Hansen, maybe he can mansplain to you his brainiac idea to bring in the relegation to Canadian curling. That worked out great didn’t it warren?

They both have all these grandiose ideas to supposedly improve curling. Where were those ideas 10-20 years ago when you were on top of the game? Milked the system for years and now think they have the miracle cures from the cheap seats.

03-20-22 07:38PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Nailed it. Team announcements need to announced by the teams, not the old boys club. I think it would be hilarious if these teams switched up whose going with who to throw them off.

03-20-22 08:02PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Where were those ideas 10-20 years ago when you were on top of the game?

I don't think that's a fair dismissal of Hansen's contribution to the sport of curling, whose inclusion in the Olympics (for better or for worse) is due in large part to his efforts. If nothing else, y'all should thank him for bringing mixed doubles, which is the only gold medal Canada got from the last 2 Olympics.

Y'all can criticize his ideas and opinions nowadays, but his past contributions speak for themselves.

03-20-22 08:31PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

I don't think that's a fair dismissal of Hansen's contribution to the sport of curling, whose inclusion in the Olympics (for better or for worse) is due in large part to his efforts. If nothing else, y'all should thank him for bringing mixed doubles, which is the only gold medal Canada got from the last 2 Olympics.

Y'all can criticize his ideas and opinions nowadays, but his past contributions speak for themselves.

First off, Hansen was NOT soley responsible for curling getting Olympic medal status. He contributed but to nowhere near the extent he likes to portray in his book and that weird video he made. There were literally dozens of people busting their asses who deserve the true lionshare of the credit.

As for MD the jury is still out on the variant and players are already wanting changes to its format (equal number of stones/player for example).

And I guess if you consider fighting against teams wearing sponsorship cresting and trying to bully teams like Werenich and others, past accomplishments then that's your opinion.

03-20-22 08:31PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Mixed doubles involvement in Canada was way after he “retired” but still interferes with curling Canada. Way after. Mixed doubles in Canada is still an afterthought at best as proven with the Olympic trials fiasco this year. He’s another one that suffers from the “look at me syndrome”. “I love to hear the sound of my own voice”. Maybe I should take my own advice at times, yes fellow cz folks jump in, but sometimes if you have nothing relevant in today’s curling to talk about, keep quiet. I like to post here sometimes just as a bit of sarcasm, sometimes an attempt at a bit of humour, at least I think it’s funny, and occasionally say some stupid things, like a lot of posters here, but, to somehow think Hansen was good for curling in Canada since his “retirement” is ridiculous. Even while he was with CC it was all about the money. He couldn’t care less about curling in Canada. All about keeping his job. And then to have Martin pile on is just as bad. I suggest you go back and actually listen to their podcasts over the years, then come back and tell everyone what geniuses they are. They have all the answers, in THEIR opinion 10 years too late. Again, and most importantly, why didn’t they have these answers years ago? All about the clicks and likes and shares on their podcast to boost their following, boost their sponsorship, again all about the money.

Sorry for the rant. Go Canada go vs Swiss.

03-20-22 08:40PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Can't even imagine Bottcher and Hebert curling together. Either Bottcher needs to learn how to swear or Hebert needs to learn how make nice. Will be interesting.

03-20-22 08:42PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Mixed doubles involvement in Canada was way after he “retired”

I wasn't saying that Hansen contributed to mixed doubles in Canada. I'm saying that he helped to invent mixed doubles in the first place by introducing it at 2002 Continental Cup.

It looked different than it is now, and it was laughed at and ridiculed back then, but he was brave enough to push for it and paved the way for mixed doubles to eventually be a worldwide Olympic sport.

Hansen is both a WCF and Curling Canada Hall of Famers. His podcast is open to criticism, but his past contributions is not, in my opinion. He has done a lot for the sport of curling, more than most people have.

03-20-22 08:46PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

First off, Hansen was NOT soley responsible for curling getting Olympic medal status. He contributed but to nowhere near the extent he likes to portray in his book and that weird video he made. There were literally dozens of people busting their asses who deserve the true lionshare of the credit.

As for MD the jury is still out on the variant and players are already wanting changes to its format (equal number of stones/player for example).

And I guess if you consider fighting against teams wearing sponsorship cresting and trying to bully teams like Werenich and others, past accomplishments then that's your opinion.

Yes, the weight shaming of our athletes. Can you imagine telling and/or borderline enforcing players to lose weight, or they can’t play. It’s all about how they “look”. Well done warren. If it was today’s game, even 15 years ago, he’d be fired and sued. The real question is, how did he get away with it? Thankfully Werenich said stuff it.