Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 6 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 9:30am PT
Pere/Cohe Final
Quin/Abre (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-25-23 08:55AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

Ok some of these recent posts are getting silly. I'm going to guess Canada over Sweden in a tight final, but I can see any of three teams winning.

The inexperience of Norway and the Swiss front end may come into play here. Paetz is an amazing skip but if the ice remains difficult she may not save every crucial end.

Sometimes the winner is just the team that got a few timely breaks when they needed them. Japan got a few huge breaks that today that almost got them the win. Nobodies going to be discussing style points when the trophy is won.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-25-23 08:58AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

Re: Total points scored

quote:
Originally posted by Alvin
According to my calculations, Canada allowed 74 points in the 12 matches they played. Switzerland allowed 36. Defense for the Canadians could be improved.
Switzerland had 2 games where they allowed more than 3 points, Canada had 11 such games. The ice conditions were more or less the same for each team.

This isn't soccer or hockey, Points allowed is a mostly meaningless stat it often reflects on style of play.

03-25-23 11:26AM
drg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drg Click here to Send drg a Private Message Find more posts by drg Add drg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drg
Harvey Hacksmasher

I just watched in the first end of the Canada Norway game one of my major irritants. The rocks for second/third shot were close and the mates called for a measure, then a number of the other curlers walked up to look at the two rocks. Stay the freak out of the house! One little slip and if you touch either of the rocks and your opposition automatically gets the call. Let the measure proceed. Yeah, the likelihood is low you will slip, but why take that risk at all. In a case like this it could actually cost you a world championship!.

03-25-23 11:30AM
drg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drg Click here to Send drg a Private Message Find more posts by drg Add drg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drg
Harvey Hacksmasher

Has the Canadian 5th gotten into any games? I missed the Turkey game which was Canada's only somewhat blowout and that was late in the game. The plan was to give Harris as much rest as possible. I think she must be close to running on fumes even though she is shooting and sweeping great.The lack of any blowouts might cost them as Harris wears down.

03-25-23 12:55PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Total points scored

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

This isn't soccer or hockey, Points allowed is a mostly meaningless stat it often reflects on style of play.

This just isn't generally true. It can be true that some teams play more rocks but that doesn't lead to these types of numbers. Suzanne Birt might but Suzanne Birt has never won the Scotties or a Slam. None of the top teams are regularly giving up 3s and 4s. None. When they do they lose. The Canadian team has done so many times this week, leading to their numbers, and they've lost big games because of it.

03-25-23 01:03PM
naterock_11 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for naterock_11 Find more posts by naterock_11 Add naterock_11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
naterock_11
Harvey Hacksmasher

There's no upside in giving up 2+ without hammer, right? There's no stylistic case to be made for it.

03-25-23 01:18PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by naterock_11
There's no upside in giving up 2+ without hammer, right? There's no stylistic case to be made for it.

Absolutely none. And teams that play super aggressive at not doing so with the expectation they'll do so. They play aggressive to shrink the scoring are and force their opponents into precise, difficult shots. They will give up more 2+s just by risk but when playing well they will not.

03-25-23 01:27PM
naterock_11 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for naterock_11 Find more posts by naterock_11 Add naterock_11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
naterock_11
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel

Absolutely none. And teams that play super aggressive at not doing so with the expectation they'll do so. They play aggressive to shrink the scoring are and force their opponents into precise, difficult shots. They will give up more 2+s just by risk but when playing well they will not.

I suppose the case would be that swashbuckling style leads to more steals, accepting the likelihood of 2+ for the chance of stealing, but those teams don't win championships. Jennifer Jones kinda won the Olympic qualifying that way. It doesn't happen on the men's side though. And doesn't win generally.

03-25-23 01:33PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

I don't care what Russ or Cathy say, that was an enormous sweeping error on Keri's first in 9 and it just lost them the game. Absolute incompetence and Erinarson knew it. Sweeting is throwing well today but her line calls this week have been the worst of her career; I just don't understand what is going on—they are smarter than this.

03-25-23 02:04PM
Bulls Eye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bulls Eye Find more posts by Bulls Eye Add Bulls Eye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bulls Eye
Harvey Hacksmasher

Top two teams in final. End of a long drought for Norway 🇳🇴 or continued dominance by Switzerland🇨ðŸ‡_?

03-25-23 02:17PM
naterock_11
Harvey Hacksmasher

I didn't expect Canada to beat Switzerland but I wanted her to make the final, and I still think that path was wide open. Ah well, next year. Congrats on beating Japan in the quarters. It's not nothing.

03-25-23 02:26PM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:

The way I see it

With hammer:

1. Biggest goal is to score multiple points. At least 2, but the more the merrier.

2. If you can’t get 2+, next best thing is to blank and keep hammer

3. If you can’t score 2+ or blank, you take your 1

4. If you can’t score at all or blank, you need to minimise the size of the steal

Without hammer it works the opposite way

1. Best thing is to steal

2. Next best is to force a 1

3. Next best is a blank

4. Worst thing is losing multiple points

03-25-23 02:37PM
naterock_11
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse

Without hammer it works the opposite way

1. Best thing is to steal

2. Next best is to force a 1

3. Next best is a blank

4. Worst thing is losing multiple points

The point isn't with hammer. Obviously you should want to score as much as possible. Without hammer though it's a risk/reward calculus about stealing vs forcing. In elite curling forcing is definitely the better option because it's less risky. Keeping scores down. Tirinzoni does. Edin does. Gushue does. It's not easy to find a successful example of a steal-first approach.

03-25-23 02:42PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Retornaz won a grand slam with a steal first strategy. It's fun to watch!

03-25-23 02:53PM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:
The point isn't with hammer. Obviously you should want to score as much as possible. Without hammer though it's a risk/reward calculus about stealing vs forcing. In elite curling forcing is definitely the better option because it's less risky. Keeping scores down. Tirinzoni does. Edin does. Gushue does. It's not easy to find a successful example of a steal-first approach.

That’s just because trying to steal is risky. But if you offer teams a choice of getting an extra point and still not having the hammer, or losing a point but getting the hammer back, statistically the first option is way better

03-25-23 02:58PM
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

Is there any explainable reason why the Swiss women’s team are a bog standard team for a lot of the year including Olympics and Europeans but turn into curling demigods at the worlds every year?

03-25-23 03:17PM
naterock_11
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

That’s just because trying to steal is risky. But if you offer teams a choice of getting an extra point and still not having the hammer, or losing a point but getting the hammer back, statistically the first option is way better

You're talking about outcome whereas I am talking about strategy. The original debate was "is it a damning stat that Team Einarson gave up so many points". My answer is yes, either by poor execution or poor strategy. Because forcing wins championships.

03-25-23 03:44PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Is there any explainable reason why the Swiss women’s team are a bog standard team for a lot of the year including Olympics and Europeans but turn into curling demigods at the worlds every year?

This Swiss team / the back end anyway, only had one olympics together, so not too sure if you can claim that as a trend.
Europeans are not relevant enough for them. Their goal is to win the worlds and Olympics. One of which is only attainable every four years and I wouldn’t say they were ‘bog standard’ in Beijing, they just failed when it mattered most.

03-25-23 03:49PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
If you can’t get 2+, next best thing is to blank and keep hammer

Unless you're Kevin Koe, in which case 2 is not enough and you peel out your own stone to blank and retain hammer down 2 in the last end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzbRcnQ5gNk&t=2h13m53s

03-25-23 04:15PM
naterock_11
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingWatcher1
The same reason why Canada's ideal position for the worlds women is 3rd or4th.

The same reason why Sweden's men team always wins worlds.

There's no doubt the residency rules hurt Canada internationally. We don't get to assemble a "dream team". But the Scotties and Brier mean a lot to us. They're the two biggest cash cows in curling. Do we want to throw them out so we can match Tirinzoni and Edin internationally? It's not a conspiracy. It's a hard decision.

03-25-23 04:46PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
We don't get to assemble a "dream team"

Hypothetically speaking, what kind of dream team do you think Canada needs to win Worlds & Olympics?

I acknowledge that the residency requirement is restrictive, but I'm not convinced that we'll see some unprecedented dream team even if we can drop the restriction. I don't think Kevin Koe, Brendan Bottcher, Brad Gushue, and Matt Dunstone would ever curl on the same team together, for example.

03-25-23 04:58PM
naterock_11
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Hypothetically speaking, what kind of dream team do you think Canada needs to win Worlds & Olympics?

I acknowledge that the residency requirement is restrictive, but I'm not convinced that we'll see some unprecedented dream team even if we can drop the restriction. I don't think Kevin Koe, Brendan Bottcher, Brad Gushue, and Matt Dunstone would ever curl on the same team together, for example.

Why not? At least as skip/3rd. You could pair Gushue Nicholds with better sweepers and guard placers than Harnden and Walker.

But this is the women's world championship thread and I don't want to derail it.

03-25-23 05:10PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Canada does not have a problem on the men's side. They are competitive in every competition. In the end you only get 1 worlds a year and an Olympics every 4, so winning a bunch of silvers and a bronze in the cycle is completely fine. On the women's side? Who the hell knows. But I will say that women's curling in general has a very up and down quality to it and Canadian teams seem very susceptible to the down on the world stage lately. But if you look at other teams the same is true: Tirinzoni at the Euros or Olympics, Fujisawa every second tournament, the Danes this week, the Koreans this week, the Swedes this week, etc.

03-25-23 05:57PM
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:

Unless you're Kevin Koe, in which case 2 is not enough and you peel out your own stone to blank and retain hammer down 2 in the last end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzbRcnQ5gNk&t=2h13m53s

Statistically that’s a poor decision. Even more so now in the no tick era.

Stealing is more likely than scoring 3 points. Even if you get 2 you have to then steal the extra end.

03-25-23 05:59PM
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:

Too many skips spoil the broth, but as a minimum, the best skips and vices should be playing with the best front enders. There’s no other sport in the world where the national team sent to the world championship only consists of players from one province.