Johnson Final
Holme (8)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 2 -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 6:00pm PT
Serr/Tomp Final
Quin/Abre (7) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Hi Tech Curling Brooms Banned for Season

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-20-15 06:02PM
Bubba12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bubba12 Click here to Send Bubba12 a Private Message Find more posts by Bubba12 Add Bubba12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bubba12
Knee-Slider

ditto

Been using a Balance Plus broom for years. Even had it signed by Team Howard at the Hamilton Brier. It currently has a Norway pad on it. The way this has all gone down, I'm on the verge of buying an IcePad out of sheer moral outrage. [/B][/QUOTE]

My situation and feelings are the same.

(Except my Howard team signed BP broom isn't the one with the Norway head which I use.)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-20-15 07:14PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Hi Tech Curling Brooms Banned for Season

quote:
Originally posted by draway8

The WCF rule now also applies to "hardening or stiffening inserts". So basically the Ice Pad. I'd love to review the careful analysis that went into this decision.

FYI, there are actually two other commercial brush heads that have stiffeners that I know of.

On general principle, stiffeners would be expected to increase the pressure applied to the ice for the same force by reducing the contact area of the brush material with the ice. At least that's how the physics is expected to work. Stiffeners should increase the effectiveness of any brush head material. I would expect careful studies to confirm this prediction.

11-20-15 07:22PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by OrangeKing
Are we certain that the EQ+ heads (which are very different from the blackhead) are part of the new moratorium? With the USCA adopting the WCF ruling, this matters to anyone going even to club playdowns - my lead bought a LiteSpeed before the season. I don't want to panic him before we have some official guidance on this, which once again points to the need for the WCF to come up with at least a partial in/out list.

EQ+ brush heads would definitely not meet the requirements of the WCF rules. It has a textured sweeping surface. The EQ is OK (and is the same brushing material reversed to expose the uncoated side).

11-20-15 07:36PM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by JustAnotherHack
And you forgot to include the sweeping motion itself. Is it the way people sweep that cause the problem (i.e., the snow plow)?

I think this is digging where there's taters. Corner sweeping is not the issue and probably never was. The scientific literature has known for around 80 years that differential friction on the left and right of the stone cannot cause a stone to accelerate in the horizontal direction. To get a stone to move left or right you need a differential friction on the front and rear of the stone. (cf. Nyberg scratch theory from their 2013 paper in Wear.)

The issue is most likely the ANGLE of the brushing motion. To oversimplify, stones will attempt to follow guide scratches in the ice. (That's why rocks curl in the first place according to Nyberg et al.) Angled sweeping motions will produce guide scratches that gently coax stones in the direction of the scratches. The more scratches you can make, the more pronounced this effect will be. (Textured brush fabrics should be fabulous at this.) All brushing materials can do this to some degree, and Team Gushue let the genie out of the bottle this season with the single-sweeper deployment. I think they got it right. (At least as far as controlling curl.) This is why switch-sweeping has been observed to work, IMO.

Distance is another issue, and is a little more murky in terms of theory. There, two sweepers are probably better than one.

Cheers.

11-20-15 08:20PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

I have used a BP broom for years but will be purchasing a Hardline product to support the little guy that is being stomped on.

11-20-15 08:24PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13
I have used a BP broom for years but will be purchasing a Hardline product to support the little guy that is being stomped on.

And I want to congratulate our club manager who has taken the initiative of not ordering BP products anymore for the same reason.

11-20-15 09:30PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

Maybe its time for a kickstarter Hardline defense fund project

11-21-15 01:46AM
dwenzek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dwenzek Click here to Send dwenzek a Private Message Find more posts by dwenzek Add dwenzek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwenzek
Harvey Hacksmasher

https://twitter.com/HardlineCurling...765877190828033 Pretty sure this means a lawsuit is coming.

Where in the rule book did it state that all these things are banned when the equipment doesn't break a rule? Also, it's so obvious that every new rule is targeted at hardline.

1. The fabric texturing I can see being a perceived issue (but not a proven one). Fair enough, it affects multiple manufacturers.

2. Hardening or stiffening inserts being a perceived issue? Seriously? since when did this become an issue? The fabrics were called out, and a response was given. The plastic insert came blindly out of left field, and I don't remember any media about this to back up the claim! If a hardening agent is banned, why not ban the heat reflector too? Where's the testing done on that?

3. Only equipment available at retailers as of Nov. 17, 2015 is allowed. This is such a blatant attempt at preventing any new innovation and stopping hardline. Every other company has other brooms, and hardline only has the one (very effective) option. How about creating an approved list of heads, as of Nov 17, 2015? Then to get on the approved list, it has to be tested! Way less confusing for everyone.

Throwing your hands up and saying "not my issue" is not the way to run any kind of business. It is an embarrassment to persecute without due trial. Also, there has been no published tests as of yet either to the general public, or even the manufacturers according to Hardline. Having a lack of hard evidence to back up a claim is very wrong in the eyes of stakeholders. I hope legal action takes place and the true story comes out from the source. Until then, I'll get out the popcorn

11-21-15 10:08AM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

Basically its" Here's your punishment for being guilty, according to your chief rival, we will check the evidence after you have served your sentence to see if it has any merit or not".

I would continue using the Hardline Brooms until they show empirical evidence that the claims BP make are true.

Last edited by dugless_zone 13 on 11-21-15 at 10:13AM

11-21-15 10:29AM
dnero is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dnero Click here to Send dnero a Private Message Find more posts by dnero Add dnero to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dnero
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by My three sons

dnero you making yourself look like a monkey. Do you think Brad Gushue dropped Goldline and his lucrative contract with them because HL was gonna pay more. Give your head a shake.
He went with HL cause he knew he would have an ADVANTAGE over the other teams and could compete with McEwen and Carruthers. These two teams have had their way for a while without anyone knowing. If it wasn't for these two teams and their success using their brooms like a joystick HL would not be enjoying the success they are currently having. Their gig is up. Now lets see who the best teams are?
Lets get back to what the spirit of the game is?
I love what HL has done with respect to innovation, but this is over the line.

Brad Gushue dropped his Goldline contract because he could. Maybe a lot of other teams wish they could as well, who knows, maybe their only alternative was to make a stink. I don't know the reason why Gushue moved to HD and neither do you. So please don't profess to have any knowledge about that yourself. You what "assume" means . McEwen was a top team before HD even came out so don't be naive in thinking that the difference is the brooms. And as far as I recall, Gushue won an Olympic gold long before HD brooms came out.

11-21-15 10:53AM
dnero is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dnero Click here to Send dnero a Private Message Find more posts by dnero Add dnero to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dnero
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by dwenzek
https://twitter.com/HardlineCurling...765877190828033 Pretty sure this means a lawsuit is coming.

Where in the rule book did it state that all these things are banned when the equipment doesn't break a rule? Also, it's so obvious that every new rule is targeted at hardline.

1. The fabric texturing I can see being a perceived issue (but not a proven one). Fair enough, it affects multiple manufacturers.

2. Hardening or stiffening inserts being a perceived issue? Seriously? since when did this become an issue? The fabrics were called out, and a response was given. The plastic insert came blindly out of left field, and I don't remember any media about this to back up the claim! If a hardening agent is banned, why not ban the heat reflector too? Where's the testing done on that?

3. Only equipment available at retailers as of Nov. 17, 2015 is allowed. This is such a blatant attempt at preventing any new innovation and stopping hardline. Every other company has other brooms, and hardline only has the one (very effective) option. How about creating an approved list of heads, as of Nov 17, 2015? Then to get on the approved list, it has to be tested! Way less confusing for everyone.

Throwing your hands up and saying "not my issue" is not the way to run any kind of business. It is an embarrassment to persecute without due trial. Also, there has been no published tests as of yet either to the general public, or even the manufacturers according to Hardline. Having a lack of hard evidence to back up a claim is very wrong in the eyes of stakeholders. I hope legal action takes place and the true story comes out from the source. Until then, I'll get out the popcorn

The best thing that the grassroots curlers can do right now is to support HL by not being intimidated by the Corporately Coached BP sponsors "elite" players. Like I said earlier in the forum. I use them for 3 reasons...they are light, slide across the ice easily, and ESPECIALLY I don't have to replace broom heads every few weeks.

HL is the company who is paying attention to curlers at the club level, and we are the ones who spend the money. Its about time we at the grassroots displayed our economic power.

11-21-15 11:06AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by dnero

The best thing that the grassroots curlers can do right now is to support HL

Isn't a grassroots campaign about integrity, with no corporate ties. It about the people and the thing itself. Seems like siding with a corporate entity is anti-grassroots

11-21-15 11:06AM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

I'd really like someone to explain the insert situation, as this appeared to come out of left field.

I remember the foil inserts, they were used in Vancouver, correct? By Bernard but not Martin I believe. Someone please correct me if I'm mis-remembering. I'm fairly certain Curling Canada was involved in testing.

The CCA (as it was called at the time) was supporting anything that would create an advantage and Vancouver was definitely a win at all costs situation. This behaviour was (and is) driven by the "own the podium" initiatives that are all about winning gold.

I understood the foil helps to heat the ice. So that's fine but a plastic insert is not?

If I didn't have a day job and a family I'd be tempted to go Woodward and Bernstein on this situation. There seems to be a deeper story here that is not being told.

If only we knew who "Deep Throat" is, we could get the top secret information we need.

11-21-15 11:09AM
shaqdaddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shaqdaddy Click here to Send shaqdaddy a Private Message Find more posts by shaqdaddy Add shaqdaddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Ridiculous notion. Then foil plate comes out of BP& others' brooms and Norway pads lose their ridges....THEN all would be equal. WCF & other actions smack of knee jerk reaction to a major sponsor (BF) whining & bullying. ZERO science data has been created and declarations based on hearsay and BP teams bitching. So now for Prov play downs everyone should turn up w a Brownie? Lawyer Amy Nixon of team Carey has already echoed no one asked them for point of view as a top women's team? What if every team used one sweeper technique before crying a river? Harris & Martin insist results would be similar to Gushue. What a joke if that proved true and the HL witch hunt became even clearer. Anger should be directed at gutless, manipulated WCF & other governing bodies.

11-21-15 11:17AM
dnero
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlky

Isn't a grassroots campaign about integrity, with no corporate ties. It about the people and the thing itself. Seems like siding with a corporate entity is anti-grassroots

Not if the company treats the grassroots well

11-21-15 12:05PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

what is Curling Canadas statement concerning the brooms. I looked on the website but could not find any press release.

11-21-15 01:32PM
Yankee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Yankee Click here to Send Yankee a Private Message Find more posts by Yankee Add Yankee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yankee
Harvey Hacksmasher

I can't imagine why I would ever buy a Balance Plus product again (maybe I will be proved wrong, but I doubt it).

I wonder how long it will be before these Balance Plus curlers (Howard, Theissen, etc...) realize they are being used like pawns. One day they are going to feel embarrassed about their role in this fiasco.

I realize they likely feel they are doing this so a fair standard is reached, but the way they are going about it is embarrassing (and wrong) and I don't understand how they can't see that right now.

11-21-15 01:41PM
My three sons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for My three sons Find more posts by My three sons Add My three sons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
My three sons
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yankee, your calling out these guys cause they are fighting for the integrity and spirit of our sport. Maybe you need to spend and end or two with them and see for yourself what they are fighting for.
I have more respect for these guys now, cause they are fighting for what is right and good in this game.
You obviously want to take this game into the dark side where its ok to stab a guy in the back.
Eddy Werenich was a curler who once said, "me against you, no tricks or no games, we'll see who the best curler is". Sounds to me that you want the tables slanted in your direction.
I hope for Curling's sake we get this figured out.

11-21-15 01:43PM
aluchko is offline Click Here to See the Profile for aluchko Click here to Send aluchko a Private Message Find more posts by aluchko Add aluchko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aluchko
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlky

The ban was pushed by BP and a few elite teams then implemented by the WCF based on the testimony of those elite teams.

So far the grassroots curlers have been completely ignored, decisions have come entirely based on the convictions of the elite teams with no efforts to share evidence with the wider sport.

The longstanding complaints about HL were never made public before October and the infamous blackhead brush that started the controversy was never seen outside that event in Toronto (two brief and grainy videos notwithstanding). They say HL brooms do "X" so they should be banned? Then take the time to make a 5 minute video the next time you're practising and show us!

If this was an issue that only affected the elite teams I'd say fine, they get to sort it out. But they've just banned a broom used by anyone. Even if you're not in an affected event they've strongly implied a lot of people are cheating in principal just for using the equipment they bought in good faith.

If you're going to imply that I'm doing unfair then you better show me some evidence.

11-21-15 01:53PM
shaqdaddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shaqdaddy Click here to Send shaqdaddy a Private Message Find more posts by shaqdaddy Add shaqdaddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

M3sons everyone wants what's right for the game. This is not the way to do it, no fact based data, bullying teams/players/mfgs, unreasonable mid season actions et al. This WCF AND governing bodies' behaviour shows NO integrity at all. Dark side? Stab in the back? Get real, hardly. Nice integrity by BP at StuSells with their Frankenbroom stunt then bogus video of Howard corner sweeping & snowplowing. Nobody has done anything wrong.....what's wrong are the reactions.

11-21-15 01:56PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by My three sons
Yankee, your calling out these guys cause they are fighting for the integrity and spirit of our sport. Maybe you need to spend and end or two with them and see for yourself what they are fighting for.
I have more respect for these guys now, cause they are fighting for what is right and good in this game.
You obviously want to take this game into the dark side where its ok to stab a guy in the back.
Eddy Werenich was a curler who once said, "me against you, no tricks or no games, we'll see who the best curler is". Sounds to me that you want the tables slanted in your direction.
I hope for Curling's sake we get this figured out.

I'm calling out those guys because of the integrity and spirit of the sport.

How this was done was wrong. I'm sorry, but this has been a mess, including how it's been handled by the elite Balance Plus teams. It hasn't been fair, impartial or clearly communicated. Accusations have been flung around by certain elite curlers with only anecdotal evidence to back it up.

What those two teams at the National did was in the spirit of the game... they got together and actually tried to work out their concerns (and found out that maybe, just maybe, it's not the brooms... or at least not entirely. We can talk about the sealed fabric issue later, at that could be an issue).

What Goldline has done behind the scenes trying to be low key and helpful is a demonstration of integrity and the spirit of curling.

But you cannot and will not convince me that the ringleaders of the elite and a certain company that seems to be leading the charge have been altruistic in their motivations. Their actions have damaged curling as a whole.

11-21-15 02:00PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc

I think this is digging where there's taters. Corner sweeping is not the issue and probably never was. The scientific literature has known for around 80 years that differential friction on the left and right of the stone cannot cause a stone to accelerate in the horizontal direction. To get a stone to move left or right you need a differential friction on the front and rear of the stone. (cf. Nyberg scratch theory from their 2013 paper in Wear.)

The issue is most likely the ANGLE of the brushing motion. To oversimplify, stones will attempt to follow guide scratches in the ice. (That's why rocks curl in the first place according to Nyberg et al.) Angled sweeping motions will produce guide scratches that gently coax stones in the direction of the scratches. The more scratches you can make, the more pronounced this effect will be. (Textured brush fabrics should be fabulous at this.) All brushing materials can do this to some degree, and Team Gushue let the genie out of the bottle this season with the single-sweeper deployment. I think they got it right. (At least as far as controlling curl.) This is why switch-sweeping has been observed to work, IMO.

Distance is another issue, and is a little more murky in terms of theory. There, two sweepers are probably better than one.

Cheers.

Thanks RockDoc on clarifying my comment. I guess I should have said have we looked at how the sweeping mechanics affect the travel of the rock. I think you have a good grasp of it (better than I... I'm a biologist, not a physicist, so this is a bit out of my field).

And after looking at how sweeping affects the travel of a stone, do we need to address that? It is easier to restrict equipment that it is to regulate sweeping, so this is going to be a bit of a tricky issue to navigate.

11-21-15 02:00PM
aluchko is offline Click Here to See the Profile for aluchko Click here to Send aluchko a Private Message Find more posts by aluchko Add aluchko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aluchko
Harvey Hacksmasher

Here's another thing that hasn't been discussed, in the negative curl video posted by BP the rock that Scott Howard sweeps the length of the sheet to make fall the rock stop shorter.

Now is that because of the sweeping technique or the broom? Because if it's the broom then I have a fairly different interpretation of events, the Blackhead brush is not a useful curling brush.

The most important aspect of a brush is to take draws further, and the Blackhead might not be able to do that, perhaps for the same reason it's able to make rocks fall.

If that's the case here's my alternate suggestion for a rule fix:

1) You can't switch brush fabrics during a game (ie no blackhead for hits and other for draws).

2) A broom can't switch sides during a throw (so you can't have one blackhead and one regular so one controls line and one controls weight).

Do that and the whole blackhead issue might go away because it's not a useful brush in a game situation.

11-21-15 02:11PM
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

FYI Blackhead brush has never been for sale and was never intended for sale. Prototype given to BP teams to 'prove a point'.....nice behaviour!

11-21-15 10:12PM
s germain is offline Click Here to See the Profile for s germain Click here to Send s germain a Private Message Find more posts by s germain Add s germain to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
s germain
Harvey Hacksmasher

I am on the fence about Hi-tech brooms. I think it boils down to what the top teams want. If they are for or against it its good enough for me.