M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Team Changes - Early Discussion

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 24 of 35 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-18-22 02:45PM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

Would love all the top skips to make a super team. They’d be unbeatable

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-18-22 02:46PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Now that Nichols is recovered Gushue back to a 3 man team for next year?

03-18-22 02:52PM
c_anabranch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for c_anabranch Find more posts by c_anabranch Add c_anabranch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c_anabranch
Harvey Hacksmasher

Kevin Martin announcing everything.

Matt Dunstone, BJ Neufeld, Colton Lott and Ryan Harnden curling out of Manitoba.

He says Kaitlyn Lawes, Selena Njegovan, Jocelyn Peterman and Kristin MacCuish in Manitoba.

He then speculated that Dana Ferguson and Rachelle Brown would be joining Homan as Sarah Wilkes is moving back to Ontario. She'll be in Ontario with Emma Miskew and Lisa Weagle, perhaps a new team but he was just spitballing...

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/inside...s-and-shakeups/

03-18-22 03:16PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Holy crap it's hard to digest all of these changes! My first concern is the dynamics of the Botcher team. I never figured Ben and Botcher would be on the same team. The Koe team and Dunstone teams make sense to me although I feel bad that Sask will lose a great curler in Matty D. I think he was ready to part ways with Moskowy. So what about Geoff Walker? In my opinion he is a better lead than Karrick and especially Hebert. Where does he fit in on a team? So does this mean there is no Team Canada next year? One last impression. Kaitlyn Lawes is the biggest winner so far if these new teams do indeed start.

03-18-22 03:19PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

That Dunstone team is pretty good top to bottom. Grabbing and keeping Colton Lott was a top priority for anyone and congrats to Dunstone if he won the Lottstakes.

Koe grabbing Martin/Thiessen is pretty pretty smart. Tardi of course already made sense. This is a better team the Koe's last two. Wow! The dream of 5 remains very much alive.

We'll see how Gallant likes Bottcher. Interesting he wanted to stay at 2nd. I guess with Kennedy you kind of have to.

Does Gushe grab the other Harnden and then one of the NL juniors at lead? I can't see Walker and Walker moving to NL for a year with another baby coming.

ETA: Apparently this is the list.

Koe, Tardi, Thiessan, Martin
Gushue, Nichols, Ej Harnden, Walker
Bottcher, Kennedy, Gallant, Hebert
Dunstone, BJ, Lott, Ryan Harnden
Horgan, Moulding, ??? Hodgson
still unsure Mcewen, Epping and Gunnlaughson
Jones joining Zacharias’ team
Lawes, Njegovan, Peterman, McCuish
Homan, ??? Ferguson, Brown
Miskew, ??? Wilkes, Weagle

Lots of good teams. I think Gushue comes out unscathed, Koe even or better, the rest we'll see. I don't see that Bottcher team working but maybe, he does have personality similarities to Koe and that worked for Kenneyd/Hebert. Gallant seems odd to me in the context of Hebert, two alpha sweepers (and Gallant is better at judging...can Benny hold his tongue?).

Miskew should get Cameron as an import. Homan should try and get Walker after her maternity leave (similar to Miskew in personality and skill).

The fun part is half of these won't last past two seasons. Plus what happens when people like Courtney and Jacobs decide to return?

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 03-18-22 at 03:32PM

03-18-22 03:48PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Can’t keep up!
It’s a twister, it’s a twister!

03-18-22 03:52PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

EJ and Walker would both be imports unless one plans to move to Newfoundland.

03-18-22 04:31PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13
EJ and Walker would both be imports unless one plans to move to Newfoundland.

In which case why would Gallant leave to play second for Bottcher and deal with Ben Hebert as a sweeping partner. That move only makes sense if necessary or he plays third.

03-18-22 04:55PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

Gallant is moving to AB because he is getting married to Jocelyn Peterman who is from AB. That’s where they have chosen to live.

03-18-22 05:13PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Maggie
Gallant is moving to AB because he is getting married to Jocelyn Peterman who is from AB. That’s where they have chosen to live.

Yes. And that breaks their residency. But that’s the point: if Harnden is replacing him then either he or Walker is moving or the residency rules are changing. And if it’s the latter then there’s no reason Gallant has to leave the team. So that’s the shoe we are waiting to drop.

03-18-22 05:44PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel

Yes. And that breaks their residency. But that’s the point: if Harnden is replacing him then either he or Walker is moving or the residency rules are changing. And if it’s the latter then there’s no reason Gallant has to leave the team. So that’s the shoe we are waiting to drop.

It’s because as we type Gushue is still lobbying Curling Canada to change the residency rules. If they aren’t changed EJ will have to play elsewhere and gushue will have to pick one of the good young players in NL. He had a couple different guys play with him last fall filling in for Walker and both played very well.
The real question is, if the rule does get changed, does Gallant just travel like Walker does now and come back. Now that would make all these changes even more interesting.

03-18-22 07:05PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse
Would love all the top skips to make a super team. They’d be unbeatable

Hardly, we all saw what happened when an alpha male and an alpha female tried to play mixed doubles at the Olympics.

03-18-22 07:13PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Hardly, we all saw what happened when an alpha male and an alpha female tried to play mixed doubles at the Olympics.

Counterpoints:

Niklas Edin, 2022 Olympics champions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4THosybUhp4&t=27m51s
"Basically we're kind of four skips put together in one team..."

Team Einarson (three-peat Canadian champions)
https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/te...d-concept-work/
How Team Kerri Einarson has made the all-skip squad concept work

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-18-22 at 07:15PM

03-18-22 09:07PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Team McCarville announce they've decide they need a change: https://twitter.com/twinetime14/sta...986466581037058

quote:
Originally posted by decade

"Four skips! That'll never work! This Team Einarson will go nowhere."

-decade, Spring 2018

(just joking)

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

It’s because as we type Gushue is still lobbying Curling Canada to change the residency rules. If they aren’t changed EJ will have to play elsewhere and gushue will have to pick one of the good young players in NL. He had a couple different guys play with him last fall filling in for Walker and both played very well.
The real question is, if the rule does get changed, does Gallant just travel like Walker does now and come back. Now that would make all these changes even more interesting.

That's my point. It can't be final because as is it makes no sense.

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 03-18-22 at 09:10PM

03-18-22 09:18PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Arrow

McCarville post skipped over. Does she team up with Fleury. Lots of speculation but does this make sense? One True Northern Ontario team?

03-18-22 10:39PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Tardi is still too young and immature to work with Koe. It’s a great learning experience for him - but it will cost the team wins.

Weagle and Miskew back together seems odd after Miskew was ok with getting rid of Weagle.

The Bottcher team will either implode or explode - they may not even get through one season intact.
Bottcher and Hebert together won’t work - Benny hasn't got nearly enough patience to deal with Bottcher.
Gallant is also a strong and stubborn personality - he and Benny will either get along great, or will kill each other. I also don't think Gallant will have the patience to deal with Bottcher.
That team is doomed, in my opinion.

Why has no-one mentioned the possibility that Gallant simply wants to curl with someone other than Gushue?

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-18-22 11:47PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Because from the outside, from which most of us see, Gushue is a great team mate and mentor to those that join. Why would you suggest, and, without any evidence, or infer that Gallant doesn’t want to curl with Gushue? That’s pure BS conjecture. Site your sources. Hmm. I thought so. Shh

03-19-22 12:09AM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
Tardi is still too young and immature to work with Koe. It’s a great learning experience for him - but it will cost the team wins.

Weagle and Miskew back together seems odd after Miskew was ok with getting rid of Weagle.

The Bottcher team will either implode or explode - they may not even get through one season intact.
Bottcher and Hebert together won’t work - Benny hasn't got nearly enough patience to deal with Bottcher.
Gallant is also a strong and stubborn personality - he and Benny will either get along great, or will kill each other. I also don't think Gallant will have the patience to deal with Bottcher.
That team is doomed, in my opinion.

Why has no-one mentioned the possibility that Gallant simply wants to curl with someone other than Gushue?

I can’t believe Koe and Bottcher didn’t consult you before they put their teams together. Hope they don’t regret that.

03-19-22 12:35AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Because from the outside, from which most of us see, Gushue is a great team mate and mentor to those that join. Why would you suggest, and, without any evidence, or infer that Gallant doesn’t want to curl with Gushue? That’s pure BS conjecture. Site your sources. Hmm. I thought so. Shh

It's a real struggle for you to post in a mature and respectful manner, isn't it? You slop around this message board like an old curmudgeon, hypocritically criticizing people and what they post left and right... all the while contributing little else yourself.

Onto the subject now...
I inferred nothing. I merely posted a possibility. I don't believe one requires 'evidence' to post a possibility - let alone in the form of a question. Asking me to cite (not 'site') my sources is ridiculous, as I have claimed nothing but a possibility.
You sound like you work for TMZ or something similar.

Galant may simply wish to curl with a skip other than Gushue. That does not mean that he hates Gushue - that's simply your attempt to sensationalize.
Personally, I have seen evidence of a degree of friction and frustration between the two - at the Olympics, for example, when Gushue said something along the lines of 'I wish he (Gallant) would just throw what I ask him, and not question everything'.
Maybe Gushue doesn't want to curl with Galant anymore.
Or maybe they went their separate ways due to some other factor(s) which we know nothing about.
As you say, we see only the outside. We see about 5% of the entire picture... is Gushue really a "great teammate (it's one word) and mentor"? You don't know, and neither do I. Because we don't see 95% of the picture.

I was simply wondering why the people who posted about Gallant all assumed that he absolutely wants to curl with Gushue - and that Gushue wants to curl with Gallant - next season. That may or may not be the case. Maybe one or both simply feel it's time for a change - for whatever reason. I'm saying that that possibility should not be automatically discounted.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-19-22 at 12:44AM

03-19-22 12:39AM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Maggie

I can’t believe Koe and Bottcher didn’t consult you before they put their teams together. Hope they don’t regret that.

What is wrong with you people?
Seriously - how old are you?

Is this not an open message/discussion board where people are free to post their thoughts, opinions, and perspectives?

If you have no thoughts, that's fine. Some of us do. And that's fine.
If you disagree, that's fine, as well - but be mature enough to explain why you disagree, rather than post immature, snarky nothingness in which you all too conveniently conceal your actual thoughts and opinions on the matter.

03-19-22 09:22AM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Heroux says players will be on their Monday show with actual announcements.

I think asking if Gallant wants to keep curling with Gushue is sensible. 8 years together is a long time. I'm also sure a lot of players wouldn't mind sticking with their current skip but the balance of the decision changes.

I also think it would be foolhardy to ready some friction in Beijing as actual friction. I've seen almost every player on the ice snap at a close team mate at some point and the Olympics are the absolute boiler for that. The only people that don't are the people who never snap at anyone; Gushue and Gallant both have strong personalities and it is inevitable, but their actual spat was minuscule. Despite that they were completely successful at the Brier and had zero friction when they had an even more intense relationship in the playoffs. All of their public comments also indicate there was interest, but residency is getting in the way.

Thus my earlier comment that Harnden/Walker is a weird outcome IF Gallant just goes to play second for Bottcher. If he was moving to third or skip then it makes sense, but trading Gushue for Bottcher all things equal would be odd. My personal guess is that it's a matter of timing and he can't afford the risk of not being on a top team if residency falls through. Even with residency there's also nothing stopping Harnden from re-teaming with Jacobs and Gallant coming back to Gushue after a year. Or some other mix. These initial teams always change a lot anyway.

What I find the weirdest is the Bottcher lineup overall. Gallant/Hebert is not a team that makes sense. Gallant is the best weight reader in the game. Hebert is a GOAT thrower and sweeper but his weight reading is not as good as Gallant's. Can he really be the second string this late in his career? And Hebert is now used to Team Talk-a-lot, which doesn't strike me as the dynamic Bottcher wants. It's just an odd lineup and not one 'd ever come up with. Whereas the Koe lineup just seems very smart (Tardi might be green but this strikes me as a real 4 year team).

Of course these people all know each other, too, and spend a lot of time together we don't see. So it's possible Gallant and Hebert are best friends and it makes sense if you have the inside line.

Last comment: what about Bottcher would annoy Gallant/Hebert? Other than the Moulding drama I'm not aware of any problems with him and his on ice behaviour is very pro. Part of the Moulding shock was that they seemed to have such good rapport. Hebert played with Koe for 8 years, an even more internal skip than Bottcher. Gallant played with Gushue, a very demanding boss (especially pre-2018). The issues on that team, to me, seem to be in the other direction and in the front end.

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 03-19-22 at 09:25AM

03-19-22 09:25AM
Saskvet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Saskvet Find more posts by Saskvet Add Saskvet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

Re Gushue team
I thought Brad explained it quite simply some time ago
"There will likely be changes" "We know that Brett is moving out west"
"With the present residency rules that it looks “doubtful” his team is going to be able to all stay together.
Or words to that effect
I have little doubt that serious discussions have and will continue about residency rules.
It is obvious to me that Brett Gallant is moving off the rock. I don't think there is anything nefarious about it. H is is getting married!!!
Where he ends up is speculation
I would think that he has the choice of going anywhere he wishes. He is arguably one of the best two front end players in Canada when you consider power,, brains and being a good teammate.
Walker and him were instrumental in winning the last brier. Brad was was just Brad; As the bear described him "the best pure shooter in the world"
It is doubtful any other front end could have accomplished this.
And by the way, don't think Walker is going anywhere

03-19-22 09:27AM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

I’m actually pretty surprised to see Bottcher’s team splitting up. With him being younger than Koe, Gushue and Jacobs, I backed them to dominate the next ten years of briers

03-19-22 09:28AM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Harnden/Walker makes 100% sense to me if Gallant is gone. I think that's basically the best person I can think of to replace Gallant. Maybe Thiessen. But that's it. And Gushue is probably the best replacement of Jacobs you'll find if you're Harnden because the two Brads have multiple key similarities after this latest quad: extremely professional, expect a lot of their team but far more from themselves, similar amount of discussion, team structured similarly, etc. The biggest difference is Gushue doesn't throw as many massive hits as Jacobs.

03-19-22 09:46AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Got to wonder how thrilled the teams are for revealing these supposed lineup changes, I doubt they got permission and would have preferred to have posted them themselves.