SUI (Rueetschi-Schlegel) Final
SCO (Kennedy) (7)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 9:00am PT
Quin/Abre 5th
Pere/Cohe  Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-17-13 04:31PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Question So...Shuster's chances

Alrighty...so....it's the Shuster Rink repping us in Germany for the Right to go to Sochi.

Odds?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-17-13 04:40PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

I think their chances are good, and the best chance we have.

11-17-13 04:46PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Certainly the best men's team in the US this year. However, Japan and NZ just finished 1,2 at the Pacific Asia event (to go to worlds). Don't listen to Tuck, Czech Republic is very good.

Will be interesting in Fussen, Shuster needs to get off to a fast start.

11-17-13 05:04PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

I think they will get through okay.

11-17-13 05:26PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

70% chance they get one of the two Sochi spots. That's better then I give the Japanese and Czechs.

Scouting will be critical. Face and da boyz do very well playing away from their opposition's style. If they and the coaches at the USCA can get some film on the other teams, I love our chances.

Ben Tucker
The Curse is over

11-17-13 08:41PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Would like to agree with Tuck but not so sure. It seems that with just a few exceptions USA teams look to be playing well mostly when they play other USA teams. Will be interesting -- can we watch the qualifier anywhere?

11-17-13 09:19PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

for those of us who could not see the final game today, can someone recap how Shuster got his 2 big ends off Fenson?

11-17-13 10:26PM
SargentIV is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SargentIV Click here to Send SargentIV a Private Message Find more posts by SargentIV Add SargentIV to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SargentIV
Harvey Hacksmasher

The World Curling Federation has done a much improved job in the past two years of making sure that nations without television coverage can watch online streaming footage of their events through Youtube. The webcast schedule for the European Championships was released recently. Since the Qualification Event is a few weeks later a schedule should be coming soon, if one will be available.

11-17-13 10:42PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

The last four Fenson rocks of that end were all missed, essentially. Rojeski's two draw attempts were short and deep, then Fenson's first was deep again, and his last one had good weight but overcurled and rubbed a rock in the house, leaving Shuster laying three with the open hit for the five. It seemed to me like they had trouble reading the piece of ice they were throwing these on...it was a wide outside track around a corner guard. Maybe it wasn't curling much and thus their rocks kept gliding too far, I don't know.

The stolen four-ender was not much more than Fenson trying for all he's worth to generate offense, and Shuster not missing much of anything. Pete had a wicked tough draw to score, was a touch heavy and it slid too far giving up the four.

11-18-13 01:59AM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Those last two big ends for Mr. Shuster? I watched them and the skip interviews right after. Mr. Fenson blamed the ice. He said it played straighter than it had all week long. Mr. Shuster also said the ice had changed....but essentially he said (as I recall) he saw the change in time and played on the ice he had.

As their game started, I thought Mr. Fenson looked exhausted while Mr. Shuster seemed calm but wary, After the win, he and his team looked like they still had their game faces on as if the playdown was only half over. The skip's eyes reminded me exactly of Ms. Norberg's at the start of her last end in Vancouver.

Looking forward to Fussen for Team USA's chances.

Last edited by Alice on 11-18-13 at 02:11AM

11-18-13 02:25PM
clutch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for clutch Click here to Send clutch a Private Message Find more posts by clutch Add clutch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
clutch
Hitting Paint

So...Shuster's Chances

Couldn't agree more Alice. Shuster and that team was focused, total concentration, eye of the tiger whatever you want to call it - so much so that they were as stunned as everyone else when it ended. This team has a good formula I think. Couple of young guys, excellent scrubbers and shooters who go about their business and didn't let the moment get to them. We Like Ike - almost seems as nice as his old man and has the high hard one in the hip pocket. Shoostie - all kinds of experience, loves the angles - makes a ton of raise doubles and the like, seems to get the big ends and avoids giving them up. I like our team - let's play.
clutch

11-18-13 02:39PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

If you look at the teams on paper, I'd say they have a very good chance, but they have no international experience, which could hurt them, so it won't be like an automatic.

11-18-13 03:01PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner
If you look at the teams on paper, I'd say they have a very good chance, but they have no international experience, which could hurt them, so it won't be like an automatic.

They did go to Canada this season and last I checked that was not part of the US. They also played international teams while there.

11-18-13 03:17PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:

Shuster made the semi finals of The Shootout at the Seville Center going 5-3 with all three losses by one point to Laycock.

He went 1-3 at Point Optical losing to Gushue and Appleman among others.

At The Canada Inns Classic they went 4-3 beating World Champ Edin and Eriksson from Sweden, Arkihpov from Russia and losing to Koe, Howard and Stoughton. Howard was 5-6, Stoughton 4-7, Koe 0-5.

That was just the last two months. He played in a little thing called the Olympics in 2006 and 2010.

11-18-13 03:26PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

While I agree that the young front two don't have a ton of international experience...they ain't virgins. Both have a World Juniors and some significant bonspiel travels. The back end, of course, have multiple World and Olympic credentials. Nice blend, in my sometimes-not-humble opinion.

Only an ignorant fool would bet a ton of money against these boys in Fussen. Gerry?

On the other hand...it's curling. Only an ignorant fool would bet a ton on money on these boys. Gimme a fair 3 to 1 line and I might be that ignorant fool. I love our chances. Outside of the top half would shock me.

It is time for our coaches to review the teams that they will meet in Fussen.

Ben Tucker

11-18-13 03:43PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar

Shuster made the semi finals of The Shootout at the Seville Center going 5-3 with all three losses by one point to Laycock.

He went 1-3 at Point Optical losing to Gushue and Appleman among others.

At The Canada Inns Classic they went 4-3 beating World Champ Edin and Eriksson from Sweden, Arkihpov from Russia and losing to Koe, Howard and Stoughton. Howard was 5-6, Stoughton 4-7, Koe 0-5.

That was just the last two months. He played in a little thing called the Olympics in 2006 and 2010.

So you are making your case for how good the team is, by saying how they have done ok at 1 small event, and how much they have lost at 2 others, right.

I see that he did skip at the 10' Olympics, but not 06', did very poorly in 10 going 2-7.

11-18-13 03:59PM
biterbar
Drawmaster

Your point is he had "no" international experience. I didn't realize experience had to be in the form of winning the majority against the best in Canada.

I also thought haven beaten the current World Champion this year was good for something as well, but I guess it isn't.

A lesson learned going 2-7 in the Olympics equals no international experience to draw from either?

Can I have your definition?

I think his "international experience" is probably near the top of the qualifiers heading to Germany, not the Worlds, the Olympics or the Brier for that matter.

The qualifier, that is what this forum is about.

11-18-13 04:16PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Your point is he had "no" international experience. I didn't realize experience had to be in the form of winning the majority against the best in Canada.

I also thought haven beaten the current World Champion this year was good for something as well, but I guess it isn't.

A lesson learned going 2-7 in the Olympics equals no international experience to draw from either?

Can I have your definition?

I think his "international experience" is probably near the top of the qualifiers heading to Germany, not the Worlds, the Olympics or the Brier for that matter.

The qualifier, that is what this forum is about.

That's what my point was, you would know that if you read that I said he played in the Olympics, why you kept going on about it.

Appleman is hardly the best in Canada.

Beating Edin is impressiveish, but Edin has had a poor season, that was obviously just a 1 off, as you said he usually loses to the best teams.

11-18-13 04:38PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

The thing that matters is Shuster won when it counted and is off to the OQE. I see a four team battle for the two spots - US, Japan, NZ and Czech Republic. I think and hope that we qualify. Being in Germany actually hurts Japan maybe more than anyone else.

11-18-13 04:44PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
The thing that matters is Shuster won when it counted and is off to the OQE. I see a four team battle for the two spots - US, Japan, NZ and Czech Republic. I think and hope that we qualify. Being in Germany actually hurts Japan maybe more than anyone else.

Was that an offensive remark about Japan?

11-18-13 04:46PM
biterbar
Drawmaster

Talk about lack of reading comprehension. I have not said once in our discussion how good he is or what his chances are. My only point was to call to question your comment he has "no international experience, which could hurt them".

Sorry I confused you by stating he was 10-9 in Canada this year, it somehow confused you into thinking I was saying something else.

Again, 20 plus games in the Olympics. Travel to Canada to play against international fields for over a decade.

How many other skips in Germany for the qualifier can claim this? I don't know, but I feel it puts him towards the top of the field for the QUALIFIER. I don't think your perceived lack of international experience compared to the rest of the field exists, so it shouldn't "hurt them"

11-18-13 04:52PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Talk about lack of reading comprehension. I have not said once in our discussion how good he is or what his chances are. My only point was to call to question your comment he has "no international experience, which could hurt them".

Sorry I confused you by stating he was 10-9 in Canada this year, it somehow confused you into thinking I was saying something else.

Again, 20 plus games in the Olympics. Travel to Canada to play against international fields for over a decade.

How many other skips in Germany for the qualifier can claim this? I don't know, but I feel it puts him towards the top of the field for the QUALIFIER. I don't think your perceived lack of international experience compared to the rest of the field exists, so it shouldn't "hurt them"

Really, you are still making dumb posts about this, I am comprehending perfectly, you are not.

11-18-13 05:02PM
biterbar
Drawmaster

Stoner, that fits you well.

11-18-13 05:22PM
SargentIV is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SargentIV Click here to Send SargentIV a Private Message Find more posts by SargentIV Add SargentIV to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SargentIV
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Was that an offensive remark about Japan?

I believe what he was saying is that Japan will be most disadvantaged by the travel distance to Fssen and the resulting jet lag.

11-18-13 10:19PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Everybody seems so quick to remember the two win Olympics. How about the 7-4 tie for third at the Worlds just months previous? Those 7 wins, by the way, included wins over many of the same teams they will face in Fussen.

Now I don't mean to interrupt an argument about whether Face and Da Boyz had a good year or bad year so far. I, for one, found it impressive.

Ben Tucker