Johnson Final
Holme (8)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 2 -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 6:00pm PT
Serr/Tomp Final
Quin/Abre (7) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-10-16 07:14PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Honestly, I could see both of these teams fighting for the 2018 berth.

Shuster will likely give them a run for it on the Men's side...not sure at all who is gonna stand up against them on the women's side.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-10-16 09:55PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

As both Junior teams fight to get into the coveted Page 1v2 game, I have more Good Things to list:

PEOPLE THAT I DISAGREE WITH

Some of these people are good people with good ideas. The sport that I love is rich in tradition. Therefore, I can get mired in traditions. I can get to where I hate every new idea.

Leaders and people who care have taken our sport in the USA towards the future. I've often disagreed with it. Sometimes USA curling has had to be dragged into the future despite vocal majorities threatening rebellion. Simple (in hindsight) stuff like obeying the Steven's Act or realizing that we don't have enough quality teams to justify multi-site National Qualifiers.

I will likely continue to disagree with those who are choosing the paths forward. I don't think they've been anywhere close to perfect. I don't think they've even got half of it right. However, I've gotten plenty of it wrong and it's a Good Thing that leaders and decision makers have moved the game forward when I (and people like me) have been mired in the past.

Ben Tucker

(sidenote to Alan: Be clear in your thinking and writing. The USOC does have some monies available for building the future and we get some of that money and it has funded our Juniors. However, it is not the USOC staff and directors that decide to focus on immediate results. It is their mandate. If you want to change their direction, don't change the thinking. That's not allowed by statute. You'd need to change the statute and the mandate. While that would be best for USA curling, I doubt it's best for the entire USA Olympic team. As curling fans, that puts you and I in a tough spot...but such is the way of the world and the dollars that advertisers bring)

03-11-16 12:15AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Simple (in hindsight) stuff like obeying the Steven's Act

Tuck,

You are not the first person who has stated that USCA is somehow violating the Steven's act. I have read through the codification a few times, and I dont see it. can you please explain their violation, citing the quote or CFR section.

03-11-16 08:23AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Both Junior teams have officially qualified for playoffs. One more game to win to get a slot in the 1-2 game, with what would most likely include a match against Canada (at some point). The girls were close most of the game against the Canadians, so I'm liking their chances in a rematch. The boys, well, they had to play Canada first, and I don't believe it was super close, but that could be because it's the first game; now that they're settled, it could go either way.

---

On a different note, there definitely seems to be two tiers of teams if you look at the standings. The interesting thing is that some of the countries on the lower side are teams from countries that are typically on top (Scotland, Sweden, and Russia on the womens side). I wonder if this is from those countries essentially having a "national team" (i.e., curling is your job) and not focusing on juniors (or other teams) as much??

(yet another reason to build depth by building a good Junior program)

03-11-16 09:45AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Every game, by definition, has a winner and a loser (in curling at least, since we don't do ties...)

As such, on occasion, a team that "usually" does well will end up tossing up a stinker in a tournament.

That's one of the many reasons I *detest* "did you win a medal this past cycle?" as the mark of "Is the program strong enough to deserve continued funding?". Only three nations are gonna win medals in each of 2 events (well, okay, three next time around). 70% of the field isn't gonna medal.

Now...if the team *doesn't even qualify* for a couple rounds in a row...yeah...there's issues...but just because they came in 6th doesn't mean they suck...6th best in the World ain't all that bad, ya know? There's about 194 nations out there that would kill to be 6th best. We don't have a right to shiny medals...sometimes the luck's gotta go the other way.

03-11-16 10:19AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Curlky, I was referencing days long past. Before we were blessed with Olympic medal status, we had state/region requirements. Long, long ago. Then we were forced to change. Many decried the changes, but the law was obvious. That's just one example of how leadership had to drag us (kicking and screaming) into the new era.

Again, I remain firmly convinced that we've made some bad choices in the recent past; but I can't deny that some of the changes I was against ended up being totally necessary. (I was never in favor of remaining so far in the past that we'd violate the Stevens Act)

Ben Tucker

03-12-16 11:47AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

US Junior Men guaranteed themselves a Bronze by making the 1-2 Page game...unfortuantely they lost to Scotland in a toughie...but Switzerland beat Canada...so US vs. Switzerland for a shot at the Gold.

US Junior Women beat Canada, managing the last end perfectly to take the two to win...they await the Semifinal winner (Canada vs. Hungary...who beat Korea in an old fashioned shootout 12-11).

So, out of two contests, we've got two medals....I'll take that ratio (Commentary about how the teams here won their way in will be saved for another time)

03-12-16 12:30PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

No guaranteed medal for the men just yet: there is a bronze game.

03-12-16 02:47PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Huh? It's not the loser of the 2-3 game that gets the bronze?

Wow...okay...weird...

03-12-16 03:44PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Both Junior teams in the gold medal match! That's good.

03-12-16 05:29PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Great week for USA curling but not so much for curling fans. With directional sweeping, tick shots and the take out game there are very few rocks in play every end and the Brier has become almost unwatchable. And as well as Korey and his mates are playing, their games as similarly boring -- lots of high, hard ones, few rocks in play most ends and lots of blank ends. If this is what winning curling becomes, we will not have to worry about USA performance keeping curling on TV because the games will be so boring that nobody will want to watch.
Having said that, great week for Dropkin and Christianson teams -- best of luck tomorrow.

03-12-16 06:32PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Very nice job by the US rinks-hope that they will be able to stay together-it augers well.

Of course the women have to beat our ladies...

BTW, what does anybody know about the Hungarian team?

Also kudos to Kyle Doering and Wayne Ford of Team Canada for their heroics in saving the life of the construction worker!

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/03/...-life-at-worlds

03-12-16 06:57PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

The skip of the Hungarian women's team (Dorottya Palancsa) has won a couple of world mixed doubles titles with Zsolt Kiss. That's all I got.

03-13-16 05:39PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Thanx SP-btw both US rinks finished with silver. Scottish men win 6-3 (Canada gets bronze) and Canadian women win 7-4 with Korea getting bronze. This is definitely something for you folks to build on! Congrats.

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 03-13-16 at 05:44PM

03-13-16 08:25PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Nothing wrong with a pair of silvers at all.

Good things coming for all of those players if they stick with it, I think.

03-13-16 08:55PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

Two silvers? Now THAT's a GOOD THING.

03-14-16 09:02AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by tuck

(sidenote to Alan: Be clear in your thinking and writing. The USOC does have some monies available for building the future and we get some of that money and it has funded our Juniors. However, it is not the USOC staff and directors that decide to focus on immediate results. It is their mandate. If you want to change their direction, don't change the thinking. That's not allowed by statute. You'd need to change the statute and the mandate.

Umm...actually...no...it isn't.

There isn't a single word in the Ted Stevens Act, the charter of the USOC, or anything else publicly available that says "The US MUST medal!"

There is, however:

quote:
http://www.teamusa.org/about-the-usoc/inside-the-USOC/HistoryThe USOC was also tasked with promoting and supporting physical fitness and public participation in athletic activities by encouraging developmental programs in its member organizations.

Oh, and that pesky little Olympic Creed
quote:
The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.

Nowhere in the USOC Mandate is word one about winning.

Funny that...

03-14-16 06:57PM
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by rbi
Two silvers? Now THAT's a GOOD THING.

It will be interesting to see how/if this is sustainable. I hope it is.

I'm not sure who all on Team Dropkin or Christensen ages out (at least Dropkin is aging out, who else on that team, or the girl's team?) So, what happens next year?

What about the junior program now? Is there a "succession" plan, now that Dropkin's reign as the "darling" of USCA Junior Curling is over? Is there a pipeline of other younger up-and-coming curlers that the USCA has identified?

03-14-16 07:22PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

My understanding from talking to the Clawson team is that the entire Dropkin team ages out (at least the entire back end, and I'm pretty sure the front end too).

As for succession...well...the Clawsons don't age out for 2 more seasons...and when they do, it's gradual...and there's another in the wings not even playing with the big kids on the circuit yet, so they could be forces for the next 4-5 years.

03-14-16 11:39PM
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
My understanding from talking to the Clawson team is that the entire Dropkin team ages out (at least the entire back end, and I'm pretty sure the front end too).

As for succession...well...the Clawsons don't age out for 2 more seasons...and when they do, it's gradual...and there's another in the wings not even playing with the big kids on the circuit yet, so they could be forces for the next 4-5 years.

Hmmm... Ok.... I'm assuming (hoping) there were juniors in the Junior HPP who were not aging out this year (maybe not on the US team, but another Junior HPP team???)

I would think it would have been nice if one of those juniors who will be back another year would have had an opportunity to go to World's and get that experience and bring that to next year's Junior team. But maybe there's some grand plan that we're not privy to...

03-15-16 12:57AM
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

The entire Dropkin rink, all five of them, age out this year. On the women's side, Cory Christensen and the Anderson sisters age out. So of all the recent HP junior players, only Madison Bear and Christine McMakin are still eligible for juniors next season.

03-15-16 10:34AM
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by SPMFromPCC
The entire Dropkin rink, all five of them, age out this year. On the women's side, Cory Christensen and the Anderson sisters age out. So of all the recent HP junior players, only Madison Bear and Christine McMakin are still eligible for juniors next season.

One would think having the juniors staggered by a year or so would help for having experience, or some continuity...

03-15-16 10:39AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Well yes...but...they also want medals...and I'll bet good money that if you ran a regression on World's success, you'd find that average age of team was the best predictor of success (okay, maybe total years of curling experience, but that is likely darned close to the same thing).

So if you take a team full of 20 year olds...you are likely to have success over a team of 16-18 year olds...all else being equal at least.

03-15-16 11:43AM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

There is not going to be enough room on the good ship HPP for everyone in 2017. Some juniors that were good enough to win Silver will be dropped or shuffled off to play with strangers; some oldsters will be dropped to make room for members of Team Cory and Team Korey. This could be the most difficult year yet for deciding who gets HPP funding and who gets cut.

But first, we have men's and women's worlds to enjoy.

03-15-16 02:00PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by TNH
But first, we have men's and women's worlds to enjoy.

Yes indeed.

Not exactly the same thing, but it's like when the Blackhawks were in the playoffs in 2010. The salary cap was looming in the distance like a wall cloud, and most of us fans knew the offseason was going to be painful as there just wasn't going to be enough money for everybody no matter what happened. Regardless, we put those thoughts aside and focused on the here and now.

As has been noted, we have our best chance for hitting the podium at both Worlds in years. No doubt there are going to be some shake-ups in the program afterwards, regardless of results (although I don't expect any with Team E. Brown or Team Shuster). Some people are not going to be happy. Nevertheless, for now I'm going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com