M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2015 Ford World Men's Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 13 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-30-15 11:51PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

So the US got a 6 ender to smash Italy 8-2, Canada expectedly wiped out Russia 9-3, Norway scraped past Sweden 6-5 and the Swiss continued their fine play with a 7-4 victory over China.

After day 3 Canada leads all with a 5-0 record, then Norway and Switzerland are next at 4-1, 3 teams are at 3-2.

Previewing draw 9: I think Scotland will finally win one over Russia, Sweden will make it past the Czech's, The Swiss vs. Finland is a tough call, I'm going Swiss, Japan's game is too much for Italy.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-31-15 12:39AM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by StonePunter
Anyone familiar with the rules concerning evening practices?

The Swedes are currently drowning their sorrows in some ice time. Is there a schedule for extra practice? First-come first-serve?

Remember that time Jamie Koe found out there were evening practices and he gave up patch time to go there? (hint: he lost the following day)

Teams are allowed 10 minutes to practice on any sheet they play on the next day. Can only use their colour rocks and practice starts immediately after the last draw. There would be a schedule for each night though teams would move up if teams do not attend.

03-31-15 09:22AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

italy had that great start but now they cant even get points on the board

03-31-15 09:39AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke
Sweepers swiffered Edins perfect draw 4 feet too deep.

100% a brushing error - they were hammering that rock halfway down the sheet and then seemed to realize too late it was heavy. Tough loss for sweden.

03-31-15 10:02AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Yes, I'd guess they'll finish 7-4, which should be good for 3rd or 4th.

03-31-15 10:18AM
mikey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mikey Click here to Send mikey a Private Message Find more posts by mikey Add mikey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mikey
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

100% a brushing error - they were hammering that rock halfway down the sheet and then seemed to realize too late it was heavy. Tough loss for sweden.

I noticed that Edin had ice well into the 12 foot. Most high level skips will take extra ice to stay in the good stuff if the middle is getting fudgy. Sweepers know this too, but it is always important to communicate this before the shot and during the shot, especially if it is not curling. Maybe they were expecting it to slow down through the middle, but it never got into the fudge. I would say this is more of a communication error than a brushing error.

03-31-15 10:19AM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

They were doing a lot more than dusting that rock - halfway down the sheet they were going pretty hard on it.

03-31-15 10:29AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by mikey

I noticed that Edin had ice well into the 12 foot. Most high level skips will take extra ice to stay in the good stuff if the middle is getting fudgy. Sweepers know this too, but it is always important to communicate this before the shot and during the shot, especially if it is not curling. Maybe they were expecting it to slow down through the middle, but it never got into the fudge. I would say this is more of a communication error than a brushing error.

This is pretty bang on with how Arena ice reacts, which is different from regular club ice. The line on that draw was more important and they were sweeping to follow an expected path where that draw was expected to travel.

Instead, it stayed wide and out in the good ice and made them look like fools.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-31-15 10:51AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Both teams play on the same sheet....

And the "Crappy Ice" you are discussing was the sort of ice teams would have *killed* for just a decade ago...

If you're really "World Class" you learn the skills of reading the sheet you're on and planning your ends to take advantage of (or at least minimize the disadvantages of) it's idiosyncrasies.

Ice is a Natural product, it has flaws and such inherently...add in that over the course of the game, the playing surface gets used...that's an aspect of all winter sports, the playing field changes during the event.

Or do you think Augusta National should roll all of it's greens flat and square too?

03-31-15 11:08AM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I don't know if it's been suggested elsewhere, but the "Bonnie Lads" look rather...dare I say it?...OLD.

Maybe that's part of the problem...note I said "Maybe".

Fire away!

03-31-15 11:35AM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

Re: was searching the stats on when the last ....

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
time the Scots had such a rough start at the World's, does anybody know which year that was , and who was skipping the rink? sure that the M.L. has that info...

Barton Henderson in 1980?

03-31-15 11:45AM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

We have a failure to communicate

quote:
Originally posted by fresca

THEY DIDNT LOOK LIKE FOOLS TO ME - LOOKED LIKE THEY HAD BEEN ROBBED

AS THE OWNER OF THIS SITE YOU SHOULD BE BETTER THAN ml - NOT SIMILAR

a skip is entitled to decent ice - to play on inconsistent ice is disgusting and not good for the game - just a great equalizer

btw i wasnt yelling .. accidentally hit caps and cant be bothered to retype

this site is full of critical posters that never won many games but seem to know everything - and we should ban nicnames - or at least limit it to one a post

They were fooled and that is all 4 and not just the sweepers. The ice is what it is but there no such thing as entitlement although it seems to be expected. Very often it is near perfect but tends to change on the slide path late in almost all games on arena ice.

In watching the shot I have to agree with Jerry that they did not communicate the line and variance out that far in the "good stuff". The sweepers perhaps either did not know it was hanging out so long or really did not communicate it would stay out in the gliding area all the way before they threw it etc. They looked foolish for sure as that basic draw is made probably 95%+ of the time by top level teams.

03-31-15 12:12PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

So they have to hop onto the ice immediately after the draw ends. I'm assuming they have to practice on ice that's been ground down by previous play and not freshly cut or sprinkled.

Thus, they may as well not even both cuz ice conditions will be totally different once Jamie and his crew re-set, scrape and sprinkle!

May depend on why they are using the practice. Most times the ice is not an issue because the ice is still in game condition.

03-31-15 01:21PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

So Scotland did what I said they would do and picked up an 8-6 win over Russia, maybe a tiny surprise that Sweden beat the Czech's 7-3, but not really, they seem to be in form now, The Swiss squeaked past Finland 8-7, knew it would be close, Japan had no issues with Italy winning out 8-1.

Previewing draw 10: China- Czech Rep. is a tough call, the Czech's have a better record, but China is higher ranked, I'm going to go Czech's here as their form is better, Norway will defeat Finland, but the Fins could make it close, Canada should defeat Japan, but this team has tripped them up before, The US are more likely to beat Scotland.

03-31-15 01:27PM
Steviewondering is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steviewondering Click here to Send Steviewondering a Private Message Find more posts by Steviewondering Add Steviewondering to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steviewondering
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner
So Scotland did what I said they would do and picked up an 8-6 win over Russia, maybe a tiny surprise that Sweden beat the Czech's 7-3, but not really, they seem to be in form now, The Swiss squeaked past Finland 8-7, knew it would be close, Japan had no issues with Italy winning out 8-1.

Previewing draw 10: China- Czech Rep. is a tough call, the Czech's have a better record, but China is higher ranked, I'm going to go Czech's here as their form is better, Norway will defeat Finland, but the Fins could make it close, Canada should defeat Japan, but this team has tripped them up before, The US are more likely to beat Scotland.

I really think Japan will give Canada a good game and make it really tough for them to win. Should be good. It's sucks that Canada has to go and play Norway in the next draw right after playing Japan.

03-31-15 04:06PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Actually a good game between CAn and Jap. Too bad Japan's second is throwing 40% or it might have been even closer.

03-31-15 04:23PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

why would Japan not finish playing the tenth end

against Canada? being down three and with hammer is poor excuse to fold up the tent..

03-31-15 04:30PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
hammering it down the sheet ... lol ... are you 85 ?

dusting it to keep it clean - just slid forever - no one thought it was heaavy and they draw the pot 99% .. shouldnt have been dusting in hind site ... but if it picked they would have lost anyway - tough call

crappy ice to curl a wo0rld championship on

They hit it hard, one sweeper didn't let up until past the hog line. Don't know what you were watching. Sweden has a fairly inexperienced team so mistakes will happen, sometimes Edin's skill masks it.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-31-15 at 04:50PM

03-31-15 05:09PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: why would Japan not finish playing the tenth end

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
against Canada? being down three and with hammer is poor excuse to fold up the tent..

THEy did play the 10th end . Canada then ran them out of rocks so it is skakey hsnds time snd the score not recorded. Happens all the time.

03-31-15 05:23PM
rtcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rtcurl Click here to Send rtcurl a Private Message Find more posts by rtcurl Add rtcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rtcurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

Team Canada has the talent and shot making, is it just pure. I see this a 11-0 RR and a sweep thru the playoffs for Gold. I'm from the USA and it is obvious we have a long way to go to compete.

Curious though from the rules...

WCF Rules and Regulations Section R7

(a) The sweeping motion is in a side-to-side direction (it need not cover the entire width of the stone), deposits no debris in front of a moving stone, and finishes to either side of the stone.

There is no way anyone watching Carter Rycroft or John Morris can justify that they do a "side to side" direction on the sweeping. Even more telling is in a draw, Carter/John move in behind the rock and brush furiously on the line the stone is on as it comes into the house. Nolan's sweeping is so far in front it doesn't seem relevant.

So I ask, is this a rule or statement? If not a rule that other teams can call on, then why is it in the "Rules and Regulations" document of our World governing body? The other World teams I see this week, along with the Olympic champion Jacobs team, do not do this.

"Side to Side"

03-31-15 05:53PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

So China inched out a win over the Czech's 8-7, Finland gave Norway a real run, but the Nords prevailed 8-7, Canada as thought were too much for Japan 7-4 and Scotland barely stay alive with a 6-4 win over the US.

Previewing draw 11: What a big draw this is, The Swiss vs. Sweden is no easy pick, I think I have to take Sweden as much as I like the Swiss, this will be a big test for them, China-US is a toss up for me, but since China just beat the Czech's, I'll take them, Russia will defeat Italy, then the one we've all been waiting for, Norway-Canada, Canada are just looking unbeatable right now, so have to take them.

Last edited by Stoner on 03-31-15 at 05:56PM

03-31-15 06:01PM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

After a brief hiatus, CurlingGeek is back in action Tuesday night.

CAN-NOR: TSN
China-USA : WCF YouTube
SUI-SWE: CurlingGeek

https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/148

03-31-15 06:33PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

Thumbs down

TSN1 not showing Canada-Norway, like really.

03-31-15 06:44PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

Thumbs down

WCTV are not making it available either.

03-31-15 06:46PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner
TSN1 not showing Canada-Norway, like really.

TSN2