M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2015 World Women's Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 13 of 25 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-19-15 02:07AM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Looks like Team USA is starting to bond and work together. I think Monica Walker is going to be a superstar (USA Curling anyways) and it doesn't hurt she looks like Laura Crocker's older twin sister.

USA will avoid relegation which is a good thing for North American curling.

What do you mean avoid relegation, they can't be relegated, the only way they can't qualify is if someone in the region challenges them to a match and they lose.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-19-15 02:08AM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

i kind of hope they lose to at least japan. im still hoping the home team can sneak in somehow

Japan are ok, but they are too defensive to make the playoffs and beat Canada.

Last edited by Stoner on 03-19-15 at 02:35AM

03-19-15 02:18AM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

This kind of commentary seems to come up at almost every major event. Jones wins a lot of events. Nobody wins all events. They remain my pick to win. You can claim that Canada isn't playing well but I defy you to objectively look at any other team and make a true case that they've had a smoother, more consistent week.

This forum has disintegrated into a pool of negativity concerning the team. It's totally undeserved. They've dominated several Scottie events, won an Olympic Gold, and Jones herself was the last Canadian World winner. The margin of victory in any event can often be very small, no matter how you play. What you do is get into the playoffs and give it your best effort. Jones has looked much worse in at least one Scotties RR that she won.

If you want to talk about teams just not getting it done so far in the RR, try talking about Sweden ( who could easily be eliminated by Scotland ) or the US. If you want to talk inconsistency, try Russia or Scotland.

But the negativity concerning Team Canada needs to stop. They've already been successful. If they win again, just further confirmation what a great team they are. And I really don't know what some of you think they are watching, because they've been fine on the ice. Not a dynamo, those may no longer exist as a certain degree of parity has developed. Can they win again ? Sure they can.

Preach it! Their accomplishments put them right up at the top of the list as the best women's curling team in the world. You'd think a Canadian curling forum would be cheering them on.

03-19-15 02:33AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

Asia should have a 3rd team there, because Europe's worst isn't as good.

03-19-15 02:40AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

Denmark expectedly beat Norway. Looks like Russia is about to win, so it would mean that 5 losses would be too many to make playoffs.

03-19-15 03:03AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Loony

Preach it! Their accomplishments put them right up at the top of the list as the best women's curling team in the world. You'd think a Canadian curling forum would be cheering them on.

Just wondering, would you be cheering Homan on if she was the Canadian team?

03-19-15 04:40AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

Little bit of a break for Team Canada - they've got to be thrilled that the organizers have gone ahead and put the 3-4 game on Friday night, and the 1-2 game on Saturday morning. That means no more evening games for JJ and crew!

The evening games have been the biggest struggle for the team, and the draw with the trickiest ice conditions as the air temperature cools off outside. The semi-final takes place two hours earlier than the usual evening draws, and the gold medal game takes place one hour later than the normal afternoon draw times.

Even if Canada will likely be stuck with the yellow stones in the important games this weekend, the draw times play in their favour.

03-19-15 04:43AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

So Canada eliminate Japan, they finish RR play in 2nd place at 9-2, Japan are 5-5. Denmark defeat Norway to end their campaign at 4-7, Norway are 0-10. It was Scotland who remove Sweden from competition with a win, they finish with a 7-4 record and will play a TB, Sweden are 5-5. Russia defeat Finland ensuring that anyone with 5 losses has no chance, they are 7-3 and will play a TB at least, after 2 wins early, Finland end their stay at 2-9.

03-19-15 08:57AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

so switzerland finishes 10-1 which is really impressive for a first time team especially for one so young

sweden finishes 5-6/ 2 non medal performances in a row. might peja send one of the younger teams next year? perhaps hasselborg or ostlund?

norway finished on a good note , with a win

US finishes 3-8. saw people just assuming they would finish 5-6 but i think people underestimated a strong denmark team thats better than their record and a norway team determined not to go winless

japan finishes 6-5 and just out of a tiebreaker. that loss against switzerland they should have won really sucks now

china v.s scotland in a tiebreaker..normally id favor scotland but given how up and down they have been im not sure

03-19-15 09:30AM
Cosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cosss Click here to Send Cosss a Private Message Find more posts by Cosss Add Cosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cosss
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

Just wondering, would you be cheering Homan on if she was the Canadian team?

The fact that a question like this has to be asked is really sad. Whoever wears the maple leaf in the world's is who all Canadians should be cheering for...period. Whether you cheer for them or not during the rest of the year is irrelevant. To carry some sort of grudge over to the world's to the point where you cheer against your country's representative, is once again, sad. Jones, Homan, Sweeting, etc. etc. Whoever it is.....go Canada go.

This year it is once again Jones. She has already done our country more than proud this time around. She has done our country more than proud over the years as well, with a recent run that may never be matched. Like a previous poster has stated, get to the playoffs and give it your best shot. On ice like this, there is a thin line between winning and losing. Anyway, my two and half cents.

03-19-15 10:14AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Cosss

The fact that a question like this has to be asked is really sad. Whoever wears the maple leaf in the world's is who all Canadians should be cheering for...period. Whether you cheer for them or not during the rest of the year is irrelevant. To carry some sort of grudge over to the world's to the point where you cheer against your country's representative, is once again, sad. Jones, Homan, Sweeting, etc. etc. Whoever it is.....go Canada go.

This year it is once again Jones. She has already done our country more than proud this time around. She has done our country more than proud over the years as well, with a recent run that may never be matched. Like a previous poster has stated, get to the playoffs and give it your best shot. On ice like this, there is a thin line between winning and losing. Anyway, my two and half cents.

Hopefully Eve can win 5 in a row.

03-19-15 11:09AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

tie breakers being played when?

China and Scotland both with same 7 and 4 records is it being played early Sat. morning at 5 A.M. EST ?

03-19-15 11:16AM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

quote:
JJ closed strong.

Massive challenge against those hawks from Switzerland. Suisse gets last rock but I think JJ is getting used to not having hammer in first. I think she had it once (maybe twice) all week)

What the hay happened to Sweden. Whatever it was it wasn't pretty!

Top percentages but a 5 losses. Yikes!

Just to keep the record straight ML, JJ had hammer 5 of 11 games but their only loss without hammer was to Swiss. Not a huge factor but could be if they start slow. The ice is a bigger factor than last rock.

03-19-15 11:23AM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

Re: Jones "closing well", she only played well in the final game because there was no pressure whatsoever. I have no idea why she has been so tense throughout this event. It makes no sense with her resume.

03-19-15 01:18PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by rick8end
Re: Jones "closing well", she only played well in the final game because there was no pressure whatsoever. I have no idea why she has been so tense throughout this event. It makes no sense with her resume.

OMG buddy get a clue. They went 9-2 in a fairly experienced world field. Meanwhile, highly decorated teams from Scotland and Sweden are in a tiebreak and out.

What this is telling you is your power of observations are way off.
What you see as "tense" is competitive flair and effort.

Man this thread has become a joke. Did you really think all the other teams would roll over and submit ? They are national champions.

03-19-15 01:22PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
JJ closed strong.

Massive challenge against those hawks from Switzerland. Suisse gets last rock but I think JJ is getting used to not having hammer in first. I think she had it once (maybe twice) all week)

What the hay happened to Sweden. Whatever it was it wasn't pretty!

Top percentages but a 5 losses. Yikes!

Your forecasts and "analysis" during this event have been god awful as per usual. This is what happens when a non-curler with deeply set biases tries to understand a game by watching it on TV.

We've seen this at almost every major event, as you change your mind on a daily basis. It would be easier to stomach if you stopped insulting the players, but such is your nature.

03-19-15 01:28PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
OMG buddy get a clue. They went 9-2 in a fairly experienced world field. Meanwhile, highly decorated teams from Scotland and Sweden are in a tiebreak and out.

Did you watch any games? Record aside, they were ugly victories.

03-19-15 01:40PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

Did you watch any games? Record aside, they were ugly victories.

I watched the games, nothing ugly about them. Ice is inconsistent at times due to the nature of the building ( and the percentages were also lower because of scoring tendancies according to Russ ).

Look, if everyone just played up and down the ice hitting everything, it would look stronger but its an illusion. More teams have learned they can't win without aggressive play, it might puzzle a Manitoba Legend who believes a corner is to be ignored if a rock is in the house, but the game has changed.

But you know what, it wouldn't be a woman's major event if there weren't at least a dozen people on here explaining how bad the curling was. This is a staple ( Feature ? ) of CurlingZone.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-19-15 at 01:45PM

03-19-15 04:04PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

The playoff games are in the middle of the night. Someone has got to explain to me why TSN - with 5 channels - is not showing a replay of the playoffs games the next morning. For instance the championship final is on at something like 4:00 a.m. eastern and is never going to be re-broadcast at a time more suitable time for fans.

I have a DVR so it's not a big deal to me. But my mom back home doesn't have one. She's asking me 'what time are the playoff games re-broadcast the next day' and I'm going to tell her that I think - according to the TSN listings - that the 1-2 Page playoff game will be re-broadcast at 5 p.m. the next day. But neither the semi-finals or the final will be re-shown, so you're out of luck mom.

I doubt if TSN reads this blog, but if they do I love your coverage. But it is an absolute joke that you cannot re-broadcast important playoff games played in the middle of the night. You have 5 stations for goodness sakes. Who made the idiotic decision not to re-broadcast the semi-finals and final?

03-19-15 04:12PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

C'mon you can't be serious about favouring China. You can cheer for them, that's alright but Eve Muirhead is one of the master-craftswomen in women's curling history. They might be moping around team-wise but I'd be shocked if China comes close to making short work of Eve. Eve's team no doubt is struggling and Eve at times has mirrored that struggle - but she TKO'd the swedes in an do or die game this a.m.

And I also don't agree Jones should be clear favourites over Paetz. Based on body of work Jones should win 9-3 but these games aren't based on body of work - they're based on 1 match of 10 ends. Paetz might not have the highest percentages of the skips but she's been making the right ones at the right time. Based on the round-robin and having last rock, choice of stones Paetz should be favoured to win a close or extra end contest. If Jones finds her Olympic form and can magically de-stress it should be no contest - Jones should win going away (ie. 2 to 3 points, typical Jones keep it close but control the game victory)

first of all i never said that i favored china i said that it wasnt an easy to call for me. this chinese team did beat eve earlier in the event and as recently as after the game against switzerland eve stated she still doesnt know where to put the broom and that she is not confidant. if thats the case losing to china is most certainly possible

i never said jones was clear favorite over switzerland either..so i dont know why your coming at me with that. in fact i never mentioned jones in my post. your based on body of work comment is incredibly stupid and makes no sense.

also..check the stats legend and you'll see that alina was the number one skip after round robin

03-19-15 04:16PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
The playoff games are in the middle of the night. Someone has got to explain to me why TSN - with 5 channels - is not showing a replay of the playoffs games the next morning. For instance the championship final is on at something like 4:00 a.m. eastern and is never going to be re-broadcast at a time more suitable time for fans.

I have a DVR so it's not a big deal to me. But my mom back home doesn't have one. She's asking me 'what time are the playoff games re-broadcast the next day' and I'm going to tell her that I think - according to the TSN listings - that the 1-2 Page playoff game will be re-broadcast at 5 p.m. the next day. But neither the semi-finals or the final will be re-shown, so you're out of luck mom.

I doubt if TSN reads this blog, but if they do I love your coverage. But it is an absolute joke that you cannot re-broadcast important playoff games played in the middle of the night. You have 5 stations for goodness sakes. Who made the idiotic decision not to re-broadcast the semi-finals and final?

The same reason that they havent rebroadcast a game all week. and if you can figure out why that is let me know

i guess they couldnt find a space to slot it in ..

03-19-15 04:41PM
rick8end
Swing Artist

quote:

The same reason that they havent rebroadcast a game all week. and if you can figure out why that is let me know

i guess they couldnt find a space to slot it in ..

They actually have been re-broadcasting games at 8:00 p.m. eastern most nights (better late than never for people like my mom without DVR's). But not the final or semi-final for whatever reason.

03-19-15 04:46PM
rick8end
Swing Artist

quote:

What this is telling you is your power of observations are way off.
What you see as "tense" is competitive flair and effort.

Man this thread has become a joke. Did you really think all the other teams would roll over and submit ? They are national champions.

You know next to nothing about curling if you think the Jones rink have been up to their normal level of play. If this was a cash spiel, they would be long gone. You only have to look at their individual percentages to know they're not up to par.

So before you insult other people - which you seem to do at every possible opportunity - maybe learn what you're talking about. Cause right now, you don't have a clue. And if you still think you do, then maybe explain the far lower than average percentages Officer and Jones in particular have racked up.

Last edited by rick8end on 03-19-15 at 05:09PM

03-19-15 04:50PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

They actually have been re-broadcasting games at 8:00 p.m. eastern most nights (better late than never for people like my mom without DVR's). But not the final or semi-final for whatever reason.

on what channel? because i have looked on my tv for the games nightly and havent seen them on anywhere

03-19-15 05:08PM
rick8end
Swing Artist

quote:

on what channel? because i have looked on my tv for the games nightly and havent seen them on anywhere

I'm surprised you haven't been able to find them. My mom watched the re-broadcast of Canada-Russia and Canada-Norway. I can't recall if they were on TSN 1 or 2.

The 1-2 Page Playoff game is scheduled for re-broadcast tomorrow night at 8 p.m. E.T. on TSN2 in their current listings. Cheers.

Last edited by rick8end on 03-19-15 at 05:10PM