M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-03-15 10:08AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Quick! Get the TESN folks rolling...you have 3 hours and 21 minutes..>GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGGOGO!!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-03-15 10:08AM
youngen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for youngen Click here to Send youngen a Private Message Find more posts by youngen Add youngen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
youngen
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'm enjoying CZ again with a fairly positive thread like this one! And I'm really enjoying rooting for the determined Team Shuster and their scrappy play to get to where they have so far.

GO USA!!!

04-03-15 10:15AM
runinrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for runinrock Click here to Send runinrock a Private Message Find more posts by runinrock Add runinrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runinrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

It would be nice to get an explaination as to why the World Curling Championships are not aired on US television. I don't mean "select" draws on Universal sports, or tape-delayed playoff games. I mean live curling. I understand if NBC owns the rights to the games. But if NBC owns the rights to the games why not ACTUALLY show the games. They have approximately 7-8 channels they could use to air this, as well as an APP. If ESPN pays for the rights to air TSN's coverage, and NBC's ownership trumps that when a US game is aired, then maybe NBC should actually show it.? Maybe I'm wrong but during the Olympics isn't curling the highest rated sport shown on the cable (not broadcast NBC) channels? It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. I understand there are cost's involved, but why not pay the WCTV or TSN crews for their feeds? I understand that this year we have live playoff games, but potentially that may not involve the US team.

Rick, Terry, USCA- (like they will actually read this) If you want to grow the game we need to get better athletes involved (no offense to our current group). But I think we can all agree if you got some of the 40 million youth athletes in this country to try curling, guess what? you may find some elite talent. Look at other countries, and you will see athletes from other sports who migrated (or were forced) into curling. We are lacking that pipeline. 95% of kids that try curling are from curling families. If they had an opportunity to SEE the game it may spark interest in the parent or the child. Maybe mom is afraid of hockey or football and is looking for another sport for her child...maybe by the age of 12 the kid realizes that he's not going to make the travel hockey team, or the travel baseball team, and is looking for another outlet. How would these people even THINK of trying curling without ever seeing it or being exposed to it....If the US team isn't involved the the 3/4 game this year then Americans had exactly 1 game to watch..

I'd love an explaination of why the USCA doesn't push harder to have more coverage (I am sure they are trying) The answer may be simply that they are at the mercy of the USOC/NBC contract, and if that is the case, then fine, but at least let us know what the situation is. We have seen from donations to TESN that there is high demand for live curling. We have also seen that there are enough people to potentially change NBC's mind on this...

Side note: what stops one of our PAID USCA people in Halifax, (Terry) from simply tweeting pictures after each shot? Even that would be better than nothing. When we have no way to watch all we have is the standings...Team USA's 6-5 record is in no way indicative of how well they have played (save 2 games). John and Tyler are both in the top 4/5 in shooting percentage. People like to rip the USA's performance because they HAVENT SEEN IT. If they saw it, they would know that the team isn't that far away. Ewan made a great in-off, and that Canada game was crazy..if those two go our way guess what? 8-3 and potentially in a 1-2 game...

I'll await USCA's response...then probably see the Browns win the Super Bowl before I hear back.

Rick, you know how to contact me.

04-03-15 10:37AM
runinrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for runinrock Click here to Send runinrock a Private Message Find more posts by runinrock Add runinrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runinrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

All that being said, Good Curling to Shustie, Ty, Hammy and Steiner! Kick some butt so we can ACTUALLY watch tonight!

04-03-15 11:01AM
Mr. Jordan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Jordan Click here to Send Mr. Jordan a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Jordan Add Mr. Jordan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr. Jordan
Harvey Hacksmasher

I was a little irritated about curling's TV presence here but I've realized it's not something to get mad at the USCA about; I think the USOC and NBC are the ones calling the shots there.

And I don't think twisting Terry's arm about this is a good way to go. She gets to hear and read a lot of criticism for things out of her control (I've been guilty of that myself) because she runs the media/PR, social media, and other public aspects of the USCA set-up. She wears a lot of hats for USA Curling and I would guess she couldn't fit the one to be our personal Twitter assistants on top of those.

If we want more TV coverage in the US, the USCA isn't going to be able to just ask NBC, and voil_. Money talks. We're going to have to find some bigger corporate sponsorships. How we get those is a different story, and I've taken this thread too far off topic already. We should follow, support, and rally behind our team in their biggest game in years no matter what avenues we have to do so, and worry about all the other stuff after the tournament.

Around the kitchen with their socks on by a pack of timberwolves." --Dik Van Dykes

04-03-15 11:33AM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by runinrock
Side note: what stops one of our PAID USCA people in Halifax, (Terry) from simply tweeting pictures after each shot? Even that would be better than nothing

Funny, you just described why I invented CurlingGeek. "Better than nothing" is pretty much our motto. :-)

https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/148

See you at 2:30 Atlantic time.

PS: Watch for an announcement in the next week about some dedicated coverage for a big USA event

04-03-15 12:29PM
runinrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

oh trust me CurlingGeek, I've been relying on your coverage all week...Thanks!

04-03-15 12:32PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I'm just hoping the curlinggeek servers are up to the incoming challenge...

I was seeing 200 or so users yesterday...I'm betting more today...

04-03-15 12:42PM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

My record is about ~560 for the game that eliminated Team Howard from the Brier playdowns this year.

I just quadrupled my server size from that game. Bring on the fans!

04-03-15 01:31PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

Ruinrock,I'm pretty sure expanding TV coverage in the states is one of Rick's highest priorities, and Curling Night in America was a big win. Next step is to expand on that, but I doubt those results were back in time for NBC to do anything with this year's worlds.

04-03-15 02:15PM
ellejay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ellejay Click here to Send ellejay a Private Message Find more posts by ellejay Add ellejay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellejay
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingGeek
My record is about ~560 for the game that eliminated Team Howard from the Brier playdowns this year.

I just quadrupled my server size from that game. Bring on the fans!

..good job geek, you've broken your old record by far, 800+ following the Finland/USA tiebreaker at the moment!

04-03-15 06:10PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

I had the chat portion of my CurlingGeek windows covered up - some people had to work today - did they get over 1300 users?

Hopefully between good ratings for Curling Night in America, and the overall interest in Worlds this year, NBC will see that real live coverage of curling can work on US TV outside of the Olympics.

04-03-15 06:16PM
Mr. Jordan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Jordan Click here to Send Mr. Jordan a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Jordan Add Mr. Jordan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr. Jordan
Harvey Hacksmasher

Our day will come.

Around the kitchen with their socks on by a pack of timberwolves." --Dik Van Dykes

04-03-15 06:29PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Unable to follow tie-breaker so would appreciate any details folks may provide about the game. For example, I heard USA had a change for big end in 9th but wrecked on last shot. Any other details??

04-03-15 07:01PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

How can it be that world championship games this weekend are not widely available in USA?

04-03-15 07:36PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

dbsdbs, Face had a make-able outturn tap for three or four in the eighth end of a tie game. It overcurled and was a steal of 1 for the Finns. 10th end tied up with for a Finnish hammer: USA had 2 rocks on top eight each on a side by the fourfoot lines. Finn skip throws it a touch firm, but it stopped back four.

That's about as descriptive as I can be without four-letter-words.

I maintain that this was an opportune year to medal. The field was not overly strong with the Swiss and the Scots not sending teams that strike fear into your heart. The Canadians haven't played that much, nor have the Norwegians and Swedes. The USA did not squander this chance at a medal...but it is disappointing.

My apologies to our Canadian neighbours (especially Misty whose posts I enjoy) if I snapped earlier in this thread. I, by no means, meant to stifle a free-flowing discussion. I think most understood how we might take negative comments about our friends in the USA threads.

Ben Tucker

04-03-15 08:52PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Thanks, Tuck, for the update. I agree that this was an opportune year for USA to medal. Just a couple shots here and there and USA could have finished alone in 4th.

Top 3 teams are the usual suspects - Canada, Norway, Sweden - but the rest of the field was beatable. Altho Norway has not played a lot, they have been very good this week. And Pat Simmons has been unreal. I have watched him play before but do not recall thinking he was this good -- maybe it is his supporting cast this year? But in any event, a disappointing end in spite of a nice run by USA.

04-03-15 08:58PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
dbsdbs, Face had a make-able outturn tap for three or four in the eighth end of a tie game. It overcurled and was a steal of 1 for the Finns. 10th end tied up with for a Finnish hammer: USA had 2 rocks on top eight each on a side by the fourfoot lines. Finn skip throws it a touch firm, but it stopped back four.

That's about as descriptive as I can be without four-letter-words.

I maintain that this was an opportune year to medal. The field was not overly strong with the Swiss and the Scots not sending teams that strike fear into your heart. The Canadians haven't played that much, nor have the Norwegians and Swedes. The USA did not squander this chance at a medal...but it is disappointing.

My apologies to our Canadian neighbours (especially Misty whose posts I enjoy) if I snapped earlier in this thread. I, by no means, meant to stifle a free-flowing discussion. I think most understood how we might take negative comments about our friends in the USA threads.

Ben Tucker

no apologies needed Tuck. =)

i thought the US had a great shot here too but ultimately its that rough patch that started with the loss to switzerland that cost them.

still a great showing for the US and maybe this will get shuster into the HPP now

04-03-15 09:59PM
ChiefIceMinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChiefIceMinion Click here to Send ChiefIceMinion a Private Message Find more posts by ChiefIceMinion Add ChiefIceMinion to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChiefIceMinion
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

still a great showing for the US and maybe this will get shuster into the HPP now

I would be inclined to think that given their success this year they will choose/continue to remain outside the USCA/HPP program.

----
Stopping there to adhere to jhcurl's rule.

04-03-15 10:31PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Not trying to change the topic in this thread but can someone tell me whether the US teams for the 2016 Continental Cup have been decided? We are going to Vegas for the first time (and why not watch curling!)so that is why I am inquiring. I am hoping it is Shuster for the men. I have really enjoyed watching those guys and they are probably my favorite non Canadian team right now.

04-03-15 10:45PM
Norse Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Norse Curler Click here to Send Norse Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Norse Curler Add Norse Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Norse Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Why does youtube link to watch Norway Canada game say not available in this country,,, usa?

04-03-15 11:04PM
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

CuringGeek peaked at 1,796 users during the tie breaker. It was about 50% Americans, 25% Finns, and 25% Canadians.

The server almost kept up :-). I had to upgrade in the 8th end, and there were still some issues. Thanks to all the viewers, and enormous thanks to my three volunteers this week: Skram, YHZAlex and jsimonf.

There is a real appetite for curling coverage in the US, even for my limited version of it. This bodes well for the future.

04-04-15 12:44AM
Mr. Jordan
Harvey Hacksmasher

prairieguy, I wish I could give you a straightforward answer, like how Canada sets its picks, but unfortunately, we don't know who's representing us yet. Our team is going to be selected by committee, and there's a little more information (and a lot of corporate management-type talk) about that here: http://m.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/Fe...-team-selection

While the Continental Cup is a good chance for one men's and one women's team of ours to get experience on arena ice and against top competition, our selection process seems too convoluted for a tournament that features things like singles and mixed doubles.

04-04-15 02:45AM
5th broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5th broom Click here to Send 5th broom a Private Message Find more posts by 5th broom Add 5th broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5th broom
Knee-Slider

I too am stumped that NBC has rights, blocks other coverage, then doesn't show the event live... I'm not even sure if they will show replays. The curling geek crowd and others should let NBC know. If you're not going to broadcast, then don't block! Here is their feedback site...
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/contact-us/

04-04-15 08:55AM
Wyrm1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wyrm1 Click here to Send Wyrm1 a Private Message Find more posts by Wyrm1 Add Wyrm1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wyrm1
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Norse Curler
Why does youtube link to watch Norway Canada game say not available in this country,,, usa?

Universal Sports (the NBC channel for Olympic type sports) have the rights to all of the games. They are showing them on their website and on TV for the rest of the playoffs.