Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 6 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 9:30am PT
Pere/Cohe Final
Quin/Abre (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-27-11 11:03PM
cbont is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cbont Find more posts by cbont Add cbont to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cbont
Knee-Slider

the third place game.

I found the 3rd place game difficult to watch for many reasons.
I am from Ontario.
I hated watching a really good team crumble.
But mostly what I found difficult was listening to Linda and Russ. I watched so many games this week puzzled by calls, decisions and play. Most of those games L and R were not so hard on the teams/players involved. It seemed to be the treat of the day to pick on the young ladies constantly.
Linda going on and on about having to decide at the start of the end "having a plan and sticking to it". Every great team can go from offence, to defence and back again....considering what the other team is doing and the shots being made/missed.

I really don't think this is me playing the sour grapes card.

I found it difficult to watch and enjoy.

anyone else?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-27-11 11:11PM
gito is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gito Click here to Send gito a Private Message Find more posts by gito Add gito to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gito
Swing Artist

I found it difficuly to watch because it was a meaningless game. If anyone thinks the players cared, just look how excited N.S. upon winning the game.

02-27-11 11:13PM
cbont is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cbont Find more posts by cbont Add cbont to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cbont
Knee-Slider

Yes, I would agree also with that statement. I remember years and years ago the NCAA final four used to have a 3rd place game. It was not a pretty sight at all.

Get rid of it.

02-27-11 11:32PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

The young Ontario team seemed like they ran out of gas at the end of a long week. You couldn't blame them if their hearts weren't in it, and I really wish the announcers would have made mention of that once things started falling apart for them. In the end Brian Mudryk was the only one to bring it up during his 5th end interview with Heather, asking if Heather thought that the game was tough for the teams to get up for. Maybe the rest of the crew didn't want to appear critical of the bronze medal game, but I thought they could have thrown the girls a lifeline somewhere in there.

I also found Linda was a bit harsh on Rachel in several ends. Specifically I was dissapointed in Linda's commentary in the 7th. When Rachel went to throw her first rock, Linda criticized her strategy during the end as being too complicated for what the scoreboard dictated and not sticking to "what they wanted to accomplish in the end", without regard for the fact that three fairly routine shots were missed pretty badly in front of her, enough to defeat any strategy.

It just seemed to me that Linda never agreed fundamentally with the aggressive strategy of the Homan rink throughout the week, and her commentary during this game had the feel of an "I told you so" that she was holding back all week but never had a chance to let out.

Personally though I didn't find Russ condescending at all. I found him complimenting to both teams throughout the game when they deserved it and pretty fair in his criticisms.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 206.191.41.94

02-28-11 03:24PM
UpYerKilt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UpYerKilt Find more posts by UpYerKilt Add UpYerKilt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Linda Moore dumped all over Erin Carmody last Scotties as well.. that school-marmish condescending thing she does.

Taking a look at Rachel Homan.. her colour was white..drained.. all the emotion and Mindwork of playing TWO tough games .. one hour apart Saturday took away all her drive.
She was even dragging to even think of shots.

That Bronze medal game was CCA trying to use the curlers to grab some fan money and TV time money..
As much as I was happy it was telecast cause that 6:30ET Final time is stupidly LATE.. and o nly NS had any real steam having rested since the 3-4 game.

Totally meaningless and a sham since Homan already beat NS to get into the SFinal.
As an athlete I always hated a fourth place in anything but in this case I doubt Team Ontario could have cared less..

Get rid of it.. what's the 3-4 game for..if it isn't establishing who gets Third if they Lose the Semi Final???

02-28-11 05:03PM
Unregistered

Linda has been on the TSN broadcast crew since 1989.
Time for her to join Ray on the sidelines and bring in Cathy Gauthier on a full time basis.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.81.24.147

02-28-11 05:21PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

UYK, as has already been pointed out several times...

The time difference between the start of the 3/4 game and the semi-final was the same as it had been all week in the round-robin. It would have been the same situation if Homan had the morning-afternoon draw one day and her opponent had the morning draw bye.

02-28-11 06:34PM
Unregistered

It was a pointless game-obviously done for some TV revenue. The loser of the Semi-final should be awarded the Bronze-not forced to replay the 3-4 Page game-something they already won.

Homan and her team were robbed of a medal they had already earned.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 165.130.136.210

02-28-11 08:23PM
Statman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Statman Click here to Send Statman a Private Message Find more posts by Statman Add Statman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Statman
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by gito
I found it difficuly to watch because it was a meaningless game. If anyone thinks the players cared, just look how excited N.S. upon winning the game.

NS received $11,500 for finishing third. They looked pretty pleased to me.

They certainly appeared to be trying their best as they did all week! Homan, however did look out of sorts and not entirely engaged.

Last edited by Statman on 02-28-11 at 08:30PM

02-28-11 08:29PM
gito is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gito Click here to Send gito a Private Message Find more posts by gito Add gito to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gito
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Statman

NS received $11,500 for finishing third. They looked pretty pleased to me.

They certainly appeared to be trying their best as they did all week! Homan, however did look out of sorts and mot entirely engaged.

You make it sound like ont. didn't make a cent. It was a meaningless game. Do you REALLY think that those 2 teams wanted to be out there???

02-28-11 08:32PM
Statman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Statman Click here to Send Statman a Private Message Find more posts by Statman Add Statman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Statman
Super Rockchucker

quote:

You make it sound like ont. didn't make a cent. It was a meaningless game. Do you REALLY think that those 2 teams wanted to be out there???

A medal, some national TV facetime during the awards ceremony and $11,500 - I'll let you be the judge.

02-28-11 08:38PM
gito
Swing Artist

quote:

A medal, some national TV facetime during the awards ceremony and $11,500 - I'll let you be the judge.

TV facetime???? Do you really think they are that shallow???? Again with the $11,500. Do you think Ont got nothing??? thanks for allowing me the honor to judge.

02-28-11 08:43PM
Statman
Super Rockchucker

quote:

TV facetime???? Do you really think they are that shallow???? Again with the $11,500. Do you think Ont got nothing??? thanks for allowing me the honor to judge.

Git: Of course thay would be proud to receive their medal before the live crowd and before a national TV audience. That isn't being "shallow"...it's being human, and being proud of your accomplishment.

Holman got $7,500, so I would think an extra $1,000 per player is worth giving your best.

02-28-11 08:52PM
gito
Swing Artist

quote:

Git: Of course thay would be proud to receive their medal before the live crowd and before a national TV audience. That isn't being "shallow"...it's being human, and being proud of your accomplishment.

Holman got $7,500, so I would think an extra $1,000 per player is worth giving your best.

I guess we won`t agree. $1000 per player after playing 13 games in less then a week, with no hope of winning first place. Not much of a reward. The only way we will know, is ask 8 players how they felt about it. Even then we wouldn`t know, as the politically correct answers would be coming out. We will see how much a bronze means in the Brier when both fifths will be in the line up.

02-28-11 09:21PM
Unregistered

Really?

Please tell me, everybody on this thread is joking!

This game is soooooooooo meaningless, and if any of you posters are competitive curlers you would get this. There really should not even be any comments about anybody wanting to be in this game, no matter what fake carrots the CCA puts up for it - - - NOBODY wanted to be on the ice for this game especially four 20-somethings in their first grown up national.

What we all witnessed midday Sunday was 8 ladies going through the motions to keep some do____bags in red jackets who have not thrown a competitive rock in at least 2 decades happy.

Imagine sitting down in August, setting a plan, which included having almost no fun, all business, that included burning all your holidays from work. Then go home and tell your husband and children that you just committed to this, oh and by the way, if I do not make the goal of this commitment and win the Scotties, I am probably gonna be disappointed and depressed beyond your imagination for quite some time.

Then 1 or 2 games from fulfilling this dream/goal (which 99% of teams in Canada do not get to) you lose out, guess what the do____bags at the CCA tell you. Oh sorry you do not get to finally let out some steam and let loose and party with the thousands of people that we have invited.

Why do you not get to party and blow off a seasons worth of steam? Oh that is easy, you are our horses, you make us all our money and we decided that a good way to make more money was to put you on TV 1 more time so we could show 40 more really SHI__Y commercials of some loser with a really bad nickname throwing a fake shot.

Oops, sorry did I let the cat out of the bag? No matter what the CCA tells you about 'grassroots', they make all their money from the elite teams, Martin is not wrong about this.

I feel so sorry for the teams that had to get up Sunday morning and get ready for a game that had less meaning than a November Sunday Legion game, this is 1 experiment that was and is wrong from the beginning.

Disappointed

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.195.92.151

02-28-11 09:38PM
Unregistered

I forgot to say that I am pretty sure we watched 8 hangovers in action on Sunday, I can't believe anybody at the CCA thought it would be any different. Not only are they clueless, pretty stupid.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.195.92.151

02-28-11 09:50PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:

While the money is an incentive, remember it wasn't winner 11500 and loser zilch. Homan and team already knew they had some cash in the bank. As far as face time, two seconds while they get their bronze medals is hardly something to get up for when you know you're going to be back at least a dozen times anyway (IMHO of course). I would agree with you if this were a (national level) average team that usually finishes 6-5 or 5-6 and had an amazing week to sneak into the playoffs. Homan and team wanted the final and nothing more and it painfully showed in the bronze medal game.

JH

02-28-11 09:53PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Really?

Please tell me, everybody on this thread is joking!

This game is soooooooooo meaningless, and if any of you posters are competitive curlers you would get this. There really should not even be any comments about anybody wanting to be in this game, no matter what fake carrots the CCA puts up for it - - - NOBODY wanted to be on the ice for this game especially four 20-somethings in their first grown up national.

What we all witnessed midday Sunday was 8 ladies going through the motions to keep some do____bags in red jackets who have not thrown a competitive rock in at least 2 decades happy.

Imagine sitting down in August, setting a plan, which included having almost no fun, all business, that included burning all your holidays from work. Then go home and tell your husband and children that you just committed to this, oh and by the way, if I do not make the goal of this commitment and win the Scotties, I am probably gonna be disappointed and depressed beyond your imagination for quite some time.

Then 1 or 2 games from fulfilling this dream/goal (which 99% of teams in Canada do not get to) you lose out, guess what the do____bags at the CCA tell you. Oh sorry you do not get to finally let out some steam and let loose and party with the thousands of people that we have invited.

Why do you not get to party and blow off a seasons worth of steam? Oh that is easy, you are our horses, you make us all our money and we decided that a good way to make more money was to put you on TV 1 more time so we could show 40 more really SHI__Y commercials of some loser with a really bad nickname throwing a fake shot.

Oops, sorry did I let the cat out of the bag? No matter what the CCA tells you about 'grassroots', they make all their money from the elite teams, Martin is not wrong about this.

I feel so sorry for the teams that had to get up Sunday morning and get ready for a game that had less meaning than a November Sunday Legion game, this is 1 experiment that was and is wrong from the beginning.

Disappointed

Dramatic...but couldn't agree with you more!

JH

02-28-11 10:13PM
UpYerKilt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UpYerKilt Find more posts by UpYerKilt Add UpYerKilt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by 207.195.92.151

Disappointed

That was a Great Post.. CCA CASH COWS...

while they dictate cresting that can actually get/keep quality sponsors..

Why even have a 3-4 Page if you have to beat the 4the place Twice after playing two top level games the day before??

02-28-11 11:03PM
curlingmad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingmad Click here to Send curlingmad a Private Message Find more posts by curlingmad Add curlingmad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingmad
Swing Artist

I totally agree. Why the H*** would you give a loser another chance to win a medal. If the CCA went to the World or Olympic format and had 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3... then the losers should play for a bronze. I thought the reason the CCA went to the page playoff was to give the 1st and 2nd place teams an extra life, which they deserve because of their high finish. Now the CCA throws in another game which gives a 4th place loser a second chance. Hey, maybe we should play the whole roundrobin again because the teams might not finish in the same order.

If the CCA wants to make more money and show more commercials... dress the players in lingerie and I'm sure they would get more viewers. That's about as much sense as playing the bronze game was on Sunday.

I don't think the RH team was proud of their performance on Sunday, but I blame the CCA for putting them in a very embarrasing situ. I'm sure many of us would have thought, acted and performed in the same way.

03-01-11 06:25AM
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingmad
I totally agree. Why the H*** would you give a loser another chance to win a medal. If the CCA went to the World or Olympic format and had 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3... then the losers should play for a bronze. I thought the reason the CCA went to the page playoff was to give the 1st and 2nd place teams an extra life, which they deserve because of their high finish. Now the CCA throws in another game which gives a 4th place loser a second chance. Hey, maybe we should play the whole roundrobin again because the teams might not finish in the same order.

If the CCA wants to make more money and show more commercials... dress the players in lingerie and I'm sure they would get more viewers. That's about as much sense as playing the bronze game was on Sunday.

I don't think the RH team was proud of their performance on Sunday, but I blame the CCA for putting them in a very embarrasing situ. I'm sure many of us would have thought, acted and performed in the same way.

I totaly agree. It's a glorified way of losing the A semi-final playing for all the marbles in a bonspiel and then having to play the finals of the "D" event the next morning. How many people get up for that???

JH

03-01-11 08:51AM
OneShot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OneShot Click here to Send OneShot a Private Message Find more posts by OneShot Add OneShot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OneShot
Hitting Paint

To the average audience, probably a meaningless game. To the other half of the audience, they understand as much as the players how much it meant.

1) A medal at the Scotties. I'd much rather come home with a Bronze than a 4th place finish and no medal. Yes I would rather win it but then again, if Im not going to, I want to atleast have a medal to show how well we did.

2) An added $4000 in the team's pockets. Doesn't sound like much but if you tell me I'm playing a game in an hour for $4000, I am replying back with let's play now and not in an hour from now.

3) Points!!! These will be important for WCT events, Canada Cup Events, and eventually, Olympic Qualifying.

03-01-11 09:44AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by OneShot
To the average audience, probably a meaningless game. To the other half of the audience, they understand as much as the players how much it meant.

1) A medal at the Scotties. I'd much rather come home with a Bronze than a 4th place finish and no medal. Yes I would rather win it but then again, if Im not going to, I want to atleast have a medal to show how well we did.

2) An added $4000 in the team's pockets. Doesn't sound like much but if you tell me I'm playing a game in an hour for $4000, I am replying back with let's play now and not in an hour from now.

3) Points!!! These will be important for WCT events, Canada Cup Events, and eventually, Olympic Qualifying.

Ontario was already guaranteed the $4,000 and the Bronze medals just for playing the Saturday Semi-final game. There was no need for the extra game. And IMO it was not fair to Team Ontario. They lose the game and then are expected or required to go to the banquet and required to play another game the next morning for something they had already won the previous afternoon.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.81.24.147

03-01-11 10:16AM
OneShot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OneShot Click here to Send OneShot a Private Message Find more posts by OneShot Add OneShot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OneShot
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

Ontario was already guaranteed the $4,000 and the Bronze medals just for playing the Saturday Semi-final game. There was no need for the extra game. And IMO it was not fair to Team Ontario. They lose the game and then are expected or required to go to the banquet and required to play another game the next morning for something they had already won the previous afternoon.

NS won $11,500. ON won $7,500. So yes there was an added $4,000 to play for.

03-01-11 12:27PM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by OneShot

NS won $11,500. ON won $7,500. So yes there was an added $4,000 to play for.

While the extra $4,000 would be nice, on the other hand Homan's team has played games worth $4,000 many times before, and will play games worth that much or more many times next season on tour.

I'm sure they played to win, but if you think the lure of $4,000 is enough to kick a team into high gear after a tough loss the night before in the semifinal game, you're dreaming.