Johnson Final
Holme (8)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 2 -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 6:00pm PT
Serr/Tomp Final
Quin/Abre (7) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-20-15 12:59PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Shuster over anyone = Shuster
McCormick over anyone = McCormick
Brown over Shuster = Shuster
Brown over McCormick or Corbett = Brown
Corbett over Brown = Shuster
Corbett over McCormick = McCormick (except it can't actually happen)
Corbett over Shuster = Shuster

Those are all of the scenarios, as I understand them

thank you for clarifying

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-20-15 01:14PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl

For Alan, the USOC really could care less about the HP program and process. They have ZERO INPUT. The USOC DOES NOT control the program or the process.

I'm reminded of that great statement: "He who pays the piper calls the tune".

You're telling me with a straight face that the group which writes the entire budget for the HPP doesn't give any input on who's going to be in charge, how they spend the money, or what the objectives are?

Umm...yeah...forgive me for not believing that.

Particularly not when we were told less than a year ago "You WILL restructure how your organization is run, or we might pull governing body status from you".

So...yeah...

And as for the "the HP staff is in charge". The HP staff should be accountable to the Board, the Board should be setting direction, not reverse.

02-20-15 01:16PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
We need a training center in the East, in Illinois, in Blaine, in Denver and on the West Coast. That will make the US better

JH, I think you hit the nail on the head there. More members, OK, but more opportunities to get meaningful coaching and instruction. Building the pipeline. If you have enough numbers (we have the 2nd largest national membership in the world) there are good athletes in there. Borrowing from biology, you can cull excellence from diversity (by that I mean raw numbers of a variety of athletes)--you can't expect to create excellence from a small pool of individuals. More members creates a greater pool diversity, but coaching and instruction, plus experience, is required to cull and develop the excellence from that pool. Everyone who belongs to a curling club has seen this principle in operation at the club level. The biggest difference between U.S. curling and Canadian curling is how readily available instructors/pros are in Canada. And they are really good at what they do! It's why I went to Canada to learn how to curl, and why I stole their curriculum for our club's instructional program.

In the short term, the USCA could probably recruit and train, if necessary, volunteers to provide coaching/instruction at the regional centers for relatively little cost. Free training and a small stipend might be enough to keep volunteers on board and valued. It's a thought...

Curling is a great sport with really nice and competitive people in it. I really hope we can better develop our sport at home, and get more competitive internationally. Our current strategy, if it works, is still only a short-term fix.

Cheers.

02-20-15 01:29PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:

I'm reminded of that great statement: "He who pays the piper calls the tune".

You're telling me with a straight face that the group which writes the entire budget for the HPP doesn't give any input on who's going to be in charge, how they spend the money, or what the objectives are?

Umm...yeah...forgive me for not believing that.

Particularly not when we were told less than a year ago "You WILL restructure how your organization is run, or we might pull governing body status from you".

So...yeah...

And as for the "the HP staff is in charge". The HP staff should be accountable to the Board, the Board should be setting direction, not reverse.

I don't want to be an apologist for the USOC, but in the case of USCA governance, they were right on target. I have served on the Executive Board of a national organization of about the same size, scope, and membership as the USCA, and currently serve as President-Elect. I was involved in a reorganization of our governing board a few years ago and it was very similar to the USCA transition. The former USCA board was involved in aspects of the organization (day-to-day business activities) that were unusual for governing boards. (They also had some really interesting circular reporting lines.) The revised board is more in line with the way organizations should be run: that is, the board is exclusively focused on strategic and fiduciary priorities, while the Executive Officer is tasked with running the day-to-day operations of the organization an implementing the strategic plan. The EO serves at the pleasure of the board, is provided with strategic priorities in a collaborative fashion, and is evaluated on a regular basis. This is how most organizations are run, including the one I serve. The challenge for the USCA in this board reorganization is to hire an effective EO so that the board can get used to their new strategic role and try not to meddle in operational affairs. It can be a difficult transition, but the organization will function better because of it. Diversifying the board to include non-curlers will also be a potential benefit, bringing non-curling skills to the table, e.g. marketing, fund-raising, and high-level connections that curlers probably won't have.

Cheers.

02-20-15 01:35PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Diversification of the board may be a good thing (although one would think that in a sport which skews as middle to upper class as curling, you'd think we could source the connections and skills in house...).

However...abdication of responsibility by the board is not.

"The Director of the High Performance Program determines the rules for Nationals Qualification" is not a sentence that any governing body of any sport should utter.

"The Director of the HP program objected to our decision, and reminded us that under his contract, he gets to make these decisions, and would consider legal action if necessary" is damned near criminal neglect.

Yet, both of these have happened over the past year.

02-20-15 02:34PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Back on subject...

McCormick over Corbett and Shuster over Brown on a draw to the button means that the current remaining scenarios are:

McCormick over Shuster = McCormick

Brown's only chance at getting there just vanished...

If McCormick beats Brown at 8PM Eastern tonight, we have an actual, real live, honest to goodness National Championship game, otherwise it's Shuster being fitted for the Red White and Blues

02-20-15 03:45PM
westcoveroadie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for westcoveroadie Click here to Send westcoveroadie a Private Message Find more posts by westcoveroadie Add westcoveroadie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
westcoveroadie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Craig Brown's chances of making the World team not completely extinguished. He still has an outside shot of being named to the team as the new 5th man, should the non-HP team become Team USA.

Last edited by westcoveroadie on 02-20-15 at 04:03PM

02-20-15 04:30PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Back on subject...

McCormick over Corbett and Shuster over Brown on a draw to the button means that the current remaining scenarios are:

McCormick over Shuster = McCormick

Brown's only chance at getting there just vanished...

If McCormick beats Brown at 8PM Eastern tonight, we have an actual, real live, honest to goodness National Championship game, otherwise it's Shuster being fitted for the Red White and Blues

then lets all just hope that mccormick beats shuster. having a meaningful championships final would be so much better then , what for all intensive purposes would be an exhibition if brown win tonight,.

02-20-15 10:24PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

exhibition it is

02-20-15 10:26PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

And Brown wins 4-3 to eliminate McCormick and any actual relevance to the remainder of the 2014-2015 United States Bonspiel that Kinda Sorta had some impact on who goes to worlds, but not really...

Shuster clinches the world's rep slot again, despite the HPP's best efforts. Well done!

02-20-15 10:29PM
Flat Hat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flat Hat Click here to Send Flat Hat a Private Message Find more posts by Flat Hat Add Flat Hat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flat Hat
Harvey Hacksmasher

Poetic Justice? Victory Lap? Sweet by any name for Team Shuster

02-20-15 10:31PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I really, really, really hope that Shuster can channel all of the righteous anger he's been working with all season into a strong performance at Worlds.

I think he will. That may be my heart talking over my head, but I want the man to have a medal, he's earned it.

02-20-15 10:46PM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Shuster clinches the world's rep slot again, despite the HPP's best efforts. Well done!

Shuster did not clinch the spot despite the HPP. He clinched the spot because of his dedication and drive. NO bitching, NO whining, NO moaning about "the spirit of curling" or "fairness" or whatever that at the end of the day doesn't get a W next to your name.

Shuster looked at the situation, figured out what he'd need to do to succeed, and STFU and did it.

nom de broom

02-20-15 10:50PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

> an exhibition

the whole thing was an exhibition long before Brown beat McCormick in the semis. at the point we started giving exemptions to HPP teams and junior teams it ceased being a true national championship.

02-20-15 10:52PM
brund is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brund Click here to Send brund a Private Message Find more posts by brund Add brund to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brund
Harvey Hacksmasher

Nice job Shuster team!!!!! hp teams had all the advantages and you came out on top. Good luck at the worlds, you are the best we have. Now....... how long will it be before the next rule change?

02-20-15 10:55PM
Flat Hat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flat Hat Click here to Send Flat Hat a Private Message Find more posts by Flat Hat Add Flat Hat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flat Hat
Harvey Hacksmasher

If we decided to go the way of a 'world team trials' for teams with x OOM points and left nationals open to anyone who won their state title, excluding WTT teams, then we would be complaining because the world trials team went to worlds and "wasn't even our national champion".

Change is hard, give it time

02-20-15 11:11PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Kind of sad where USA Curling finds itself. Watching tonight's game with a group of curlers -- many cheering FOR Brown but just as many cheering AGAINST McCormick... or, to be fair, cheering AGAINST HPP. Will be interesting to see where this goes next.

02-21-15 08:59AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

The HPP stacked the deck, altered interpretations of rules, and made-up events to award OOM points to their precious teams, and what happened? Major fail by HPP/USCA.

So, I go back to my statement earlier in the week. I have yet to see the HPP teams being significantly better than the non-funded teams that has justified the silly program. Not a good use of funds when you have non-funded Shuster being significantly better than the HPP teams, and no HPP team making the finals on the women's side (with a HPP team being the world's team based on an event they did well at earlier in the season and getting some points by making the playoffs, not finals, at nationals). So E. Brown and Lank (two very decorated curlers) are not as good representatives at worlds than the HPP teams? Doubtful.

#anotherfailbyUSCA
#cantforgetfailbyHPP
#goshuster
#golankandebrown

02-21-15 09:10AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

FACE! Way to go!

I talked to one of the team. They were going to bed early because they want this win.

For those who don't know Face, talk to him some time. He's very easy to talk with assuming that you let him do most of the talking (just kidding, but he is very talkative).

Those who do talk to him are always surprised by one thing: His dream is not an Olympic dream. His dream is to personally bring USA curling to the Worlds medal stand. Getting a gold for the USA is his life-mission.

Hopefully I'm not jinxing Landsteiner, but: Brunt's tick shots and Lazar's amazing consistency and great stats from other leads are all very impressive, but ignore the stats and see what Lands brings to the table. Good shooter, great teammate and wonderful sweeper. Face is screaming at him and Tyler is yelling at him (usually the opposite thing that Face is screaming), but Lands calmly sweeps or doesn't sweep the rock to the correct spot. Being "the right side of the inch" begins with Lands. He did it at the Trials and at the Qualifier in Germany...not so much in Sochi. He's really dialed in now.

Ben Tucker

02-21-15 12:18PM
Mowgli is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mowgli Find more posts by Mowgli Add Mowgli to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mowgli
Knee-Slider

It'll be interesting to see how the HPP prpgram deals with Shuster, if he's going to replace one of the teams and if they try to sink their claws in and tinker with the team. That would be a shame. Shuster has more than proved that he is better at building and preparing teams than their staff and program. If they cared about continued development of their team they would cut them a check for any spiels they want to attend next year and be there for any support they might need. But that doesn't seem to be the HPP's style, they like to micromanage.

Derek Brown needs to be gone. Tomorrow. Hundreds of thousands of dollars USA curling has spent on this clown traveling the world, and we get a nationals where the finals don't matter, and only 5 teams in the country (men and womens) have a decent shot of going to worlds. There's no reason for him to be involved going forward.

Last edited by Mowgli on 02-21-15 at 12:28PM

02-21-15 12:46PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Mowgli
It'll be interesting to see how the HPP prpgram deals with Shuster, if he's going to replace one of the teams and if they try to sink their claws in and tinker with the team. That would be a shame. Shuster has more than proved that he is better at building and preparing teams than their staff and program.

Please give me some facts to back this up. Shuster has been embarrassingly bad at the world stage, but good on the domestic stage his entire career. This has never changed. To me this shows his inability to be trusted to create a team, and borders on the definition of insanity.

02-21-15 12:58PM
Flat Hat
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlky

Please give me some facts to back this up. Shuster has been embarrassingly bad at the world stage, but good on the domestic stage his entire career. This has never changed. To me this shows his inability to be trusted to create a team, and borders on the definition of insanity.

Shuster's world record is undeniable, but what makes you think that the teams he beats regularly will somehow do better? That is taking Dunning-Kruger to therapeutic levels!

02-21-15 01:45PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I'll just leave this here:

He's got an Olymnpic medal (yea, I know, he wasn't the skip, he still has the bronze), he won a Universiade as Skip, 2 time Gold and 2 time bronze at our National Championships, with at least a Silver clinched this year, and he's 3/3 at the USOC Curling team selection meets...

*IF* we had something better, they'd have beaten him at some point along the way...ability is transitive...if you can't beat him at Nationals, the odds on you beating teams that beat him at Worlds or the Olympics is not good.

Does it mean he's a world champ in the making? Probably not...but what it does mean is that none of the other "Golden Boys" in the wings are either.

Face it, he won by the rules set up, he's our guy....he's the BEST WE'VE GOT.

02-21-15 01:57PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Alan you quoted me, but your answer really didn't do anything to prove me wrong. He has an outstanding domestic history. He does not have any history of success of being in charge of a team on the world stage. And he really hasn't gotten any closer to the world talent level.

02-21-15 02:09PM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:

Well, Shuster had as many OOM points as any other US mens team this year but without the benefit of USCA largesse. And apparently our groomed teams were unable to successfully deal with his team or the rest of the field this week.

So how do we figure anyone else in the field is better right now? If you can't win at the US level, how are you competitive at the world level? The last two years of HPP programming has little to show in terms of value added yet. Do we have any benchmarks? (That are useful for gauging world competitive progress?) And are we meeting them? Or are we going by the seat of our pants and our only benchmark is the next Olympics? If we are not meaningfully assessing we have no idea if our programs are working. The US Nationals this year looks somewhere between neutral to a setback for HPP training.