Johnson Final
Holme (8)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 2 -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 6:00pm PT
Serr/Tomp Final
Quin/Abre (7) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-19-15 10:44AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Pustovar comes *real* close to rolling out of the house on his hit and stick to take 2 and force the extra, but hangs on by about 2 inches...

We're going to 11 to determine who will face McCormick in the 3-4 game. Corbett has the hammer, and is in with a win. If Pustovar gets the steal, then we have a 4 way tie for 4th between Corbett, Gemmell, Dropkin, and Pustovar.

At least the Men's side provides some drama at the end of the RR.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-19-15 10:54AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

As it stands at this time, the only teams that can rep the US at Worlds for the Men are Shuster, Brown, or McCormick.

Dropkin, Corbett, Pustovar, and Gemmell are all too far behind to catch up the margin. Drama to see who gets into the playoffs...but it has no impact on potential World representation.

02-19-15 10:55AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Nice end to championship curling -- 4 teams still in the hunt with 4-5 records

02-19-15 10:57AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Corbett flashes a wide open hit and stick with the hammer in the 11th to give Pustovar the game and create a 4 way playoff for the 4th spot.

02-19-15 11:00AM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
...Only Pustovar and Meyers are mathematically eliminated at this point...

The report of Pustovar's death was an exaggeration.

02-19-15 11:05AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

Well...true...but if you go by baseball rules, the team that makes the playoffs will be 6-5 by the time they start...

and in the event they actually win the whole thing, they'd end up at 9-5...not world shattering, but not out of line with the records of teams that win the Super Bowl in the NFL from time to time...

02-19-15 12:18PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

Is it cast in stone that the points leader goes to worlds or are points just a data point that influences the committeee's decision? Is it conceivable that the USCA could still select an HPP team, Brown or McCormick, even if Shuster wins??

02-19-15 12:24PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

According to the rules, the team "with the highest OOM points total at the conclusion of the 2015 USA Curling Mens and Womens
Nationals who have placed in the top 3 in their respective National Championship"

I would have to borrow JH's tinfoil hat to say they could pick their own team if Shuster wins.

02-19-15 12:27PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

The rules are set in stone (presumably, barring weirdness like injury or drug test failure or unwillingness to sign the contract)

The team with the highest US-OOM score after Nationals will be our rep, assuming they finish in the top 3 at Nationals.

Since Shuster (#1 US-OOM going into nationals) and Brown (#3) have clinched a Top 3 at Nationals berth by virtue of being in the 1-2 game, and McCormick (#2) is also in the playoffs, someone from those three will finish in the Top 3 at Nationals, therefore whomever finishes on top of the points race between them will be the Rep, even if they end up 2-3-4.

My math says that it's very likely to be whomever of Shuster v McCormick finishes highest, but Brown can sneak in there if McCormick ends up 4th, Shuster 3rd and Brown wins. That calculation may not be correct though.

02-19-15 12:31PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

How are points earned at USA Nationals? Do Shuster, Brown, McC points to date mean that whichever of these 3 teams wins this competition will go to Worlds?
Above assumes that the survivor of the 4-5 teams will not win out. If they would do that, would the nationals runnerup be the USA rep to Worlds?
It was a lot simpler when the team that won the championship won the trip to Worlds.

02-19-15 12:41PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

(edited, the link now works: http://www.teamusa.org/~/media/USA_...rocess%20vf.pdf )

Because the US only had 2 curler in the top 25 and 4 in the top 50, the points are:

Champion: 45
Runner-Up: 35
3rd: 30
4th: 20
5th-10th: 2 points per win.

No, the winner is not guaranteed to go, IF that winner is Brown. If McCormick or Shuster win, they will go for sure. Brown pretty much needs whomever comes out of the tiebreaker round to end up coming in 2nd to have a chance (and he might not make it even then).

Last edited by AlanMacNeill on 02-19-15 at 01:04PM

02-19-15 01:04PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

thanks guys, wasn't sure.

02-19-15 01:17PM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

Points for US Nationals are NOT awarded like every other bonspiel. There's no high level math for US Nationals except for figuring out whether points are doubled. Since the doubling criteria wasn't met 1st = 45 pts, 2nd = 35 pts, 3rd = 30 pts, 4th = 20 pts and 2 pts per round robin win for teams not making the Page Playoffs.

Current standings, not counting this event, are at http://www.teamusa.org/~/media/USA_...tion%202015.pdf

Criteria for Worlds is in the rules http://www.teamusa.org/~/media/USA_...AL%20111714.pdf

Shuster wins OR finishes 2nd to Brown and they go to Worlds.

Brown wins over McCormick or 4th place team and Brown goes to Worlds. Brown over Shuster means Shuster would have 75.436 points and Brown 75.22.

McCormick wins and they go to Worlds.

4th place team, whomever that ends up being, has no chance.

02-19-15 01:20PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

My unofficial calculation says
Shuster goes if he plays Brown in the final or if he wins against McCormick.

McCormick goes if he wins or finishes second to Brown.

I don't think Brown can go because Shuster is in the 1-2 game so he finishes 3rd at worst.

I could be completely wrong, would not be the first time.

JH

02-19-15 01:37PM
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

For those who don't want to open the USCA PDF, the current standings of those still playing:

Shuster 40.436
McCormick 38.601
Brown 30.22
Dropkin 12.005
Corbett 7.75
Gemmell 3.575
Pustovar 2.6

Without a Bronze/3rd place game Shuster is guaranteed 30 points from Nationals and 70.436 total points. That's more than any of the fourth place teams can have if they win and get 45 points. Heck, that's more than all four possible 4th place teams combined.

02-19-15 04:26PM
Asatru is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Asatru Click here to Send Asatru a Private Message Find more posts by Asatru Add Asatru to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Asatru
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
My unofficial calculation says

I don't think Brown can go because Shuster is in the 1-2 game so he finishes 3rd at worst.

I could be completely wrong, would not be the first time.

JH

Brown goes if he wins 1/2 game, and Shuster loses semi's, and Brown wins finals.

02-19-15 04:47PM
SmokeyJoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SmokeyJoe Find more posts by SmokeyJoe Add SmokeyJoe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SmokeyJoe
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
Meaningful games right to the end of round robin. Even Clark and Haluptzok had a chance to join the party.

02-19-15 11:24PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe
Meaningful games right to the end of round robin. Even Clark and Haluptzok had a chance to join the party.

Guess we have different definitions of meaningful. For me, a meaningful game at a national championship is one that may impact who represents USA at worlds. Whether there is a 4-way tie or a 6-way tie for the 4th playoff spot, none of those teams has a chance to represent USA, even if they win out. When the only thing on the line for these teams is how many more games they will play, the games are hardly meaningful.

02-19-15 11:49PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I concur and don't want to be forced into defending a system I routinely argue against, BUT:

Those were meaningful games for those players. They are still playing for a National title...no small thing and a dream they had on the way to Kzoo. They are playing for the chance to be included in the HPP, although I'm not certain if that is a dream or a nightmare.

Let's not forget to flip the coin over and look at the other side:

HPP curlers who do not advance to Worlds are in serious jeopardy of losing their spots in the HPP program. Think about it: Spots and money MUST be set aside for our National champions next year. Heater, Nina, Craig and their teammates are all in jeopardy of not being asked back. All the games are meaningful to them as well.

Ben Tucker

02-20-15 12:44AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
I concur and don't want to be forced into defending a system I routinely argue against, BUT:

Those were meaningful games for those players. They are still playing for a National title...no small thing and a dream they had on the way to Kzoo. They are playing for the chance to be included in the HPP, although I'm not certain if that is a dream or a nightmare.

Let's not forget to flip the coin over and look at the other side:

HPP curlers who do not advance to Worlds are in serious jeopardy of losing their spots in the HPP program. Think about it: Spots and money MUST be set aside for our National champions next year. Heater, Nina, Craig and their teammates are all in jeopardy of not being asked back. All the games are meaningful to them as well.

Ben Tucker

As much as I dislike telling Tuck he is wrong (okay I do that all the time) he is wrong. Winning nationals no longer gets you into the HPP. Nina got there by going to the combine. Will there be a combine again next year, no idea. Will they "invite" the winners, no idea. The HP staff is in charge.

For Alan, the USOC really could care less about the HP program and process. They have ZERO INPUT. The USOC DOES NOT control the program or the process. Yes, they want to see success at the international level as we all do but they are not deciding what happens. All US curlers want to see success for US curling or you really should not be a US curler. We have to catch up to the rest of the world, our biggest problem is small population of curlers and geography. Switzerland takes a little over an hour to drive to all the clubs for competitive events. It takes 6+ hours just to drive between events in the East.

Bottom line, we need a whole bunch more curlers and we need a whole bunch more National curling centers spread across the country. Travel from Plainfield(s) to Blaine is a 3+ hour flight and a drive. We need a training center in the East, in Illinois, in Blaine, in Denver and on the West Coast. That will make the US better.

JH
i really should not be posting this late at night

02-20-15 02:09AM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:

Those were meaningful games for those players. They are still playing for a National title...no small thing and a dream they had on the way to Kzoo.

Ben Tucker

I certainly don't mean to denigrate the players and their efforts. While I don't know that this week has any bearing on next year's HPP selection, certainly the players are giving their all. BUT when we are trying to sell this event as a national championship and these teams, no matter how well they curl, have no shot at representing USA at Worlds... well, sorry but that makes these games meaningless. Not in the eyes of the players, but unfortunately they find themselves in a national championship where the HPP/OOM has made much of the event meaningless.

02-20-15 11:43AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

We're pretty much in agreement, dbsdbs. I'm just looking for the rainbow in the storm clouds. Yes, I would strongly prefer to send our National champions. I would strongly, strongly, strongly prefer it in years where the WCT isn't counting Olympic Qualifying Points.

JH has a point in that National gold doesn't guarantee you access to the HPP nor even an invite to the combine. Still, I maintain that it is the best path for those who aspire to be on a HPP team...perhaps the only path.

JH, are you available to talk about it the week of March 14th? I'll be out east and you owe me drinks...lots of drinks. By the way, I mispronounce it Plainsfield.

Back to the thread: Did I say Shuster over Brown in the Finals? Genius. OK, maybe not genius...but I'm proud of my picks.

Late odds:
Shuster 1 to 1
Brownie 3 to 2
Heater 2 to 1
Corbett 6 to 1

Late prop bets:
Face cusses on an open mic 5 to 1
Plys cusses on an open mic 1 to 1
Erika/Craig Double Gold odds down to 3 to 1
Corbett replicates his Pot Spinner hammer vs Dropkin The Younger 999 to 1

02-20-15 12:18PM
ChiefIceMinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChiefIceMinion Click here to Send ChiefIceMinion a Private Message Find more posts by ChiefIceMinion Add ChiefIceMinion to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChiefIceMinion
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

JH, are you available to talk about it the week of March 14th? I'll be out east and you owe me drinks...lots of drinks. By the way, I mispronounce it Plainsfield.

JH, if you owe him drinks I know of a good place to keep your bar tab down.

Chief Ice Minion

02-20-15 12:50PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

so help me out here. if heath mccormick were to beat john shuster in the final then who goes to worlds

02-20-15 12:56PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Shuster over anyone = Shuster
McCormick over anyone = McCormick
Brown over Shuster = Shuster
Brown over McCormick or Corbett = Brown
Corbett over Brown = Shuster
Corbett over McCormick = McCormick (except it can't actually happen)
Corbett over Shuster = Shuster

Those are all of the scenarios, as I understand them