Foster Final
Lacoursiere (7) Watch Live Curling!
Doig Final
Shand (8) Watch Live Curling!
Anderson Final
Miskiman (7) Watch Live Curling!
Streifel Final
Quintin (8) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2017 world junior curling championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-14-17 05:20PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

2017 world junior curling championship

figured i would open this thread with the world juniors just a couple days away. Got to say that at first glance the field doesnt appear to be as strong as it has been the last couple of years on either side. its very even.

women

the contenders:

canada - a favorite by name but i wouldnt be surprised if streifel missed the podium just barely either.

south korea- this team plays on the tour and has had a fair amount of success and some wins over some good teams. they should be there at the end and can win the whole thing

sweden - for me the favorite for the title. wrana has been playing for a while. she's got a very strong team with her , she plays in and wins her fair share of games in the swedish womens league.

the unknowns:

united states - im not familiar with this team, i know the americans are excited about them but i havent seen them myself so cant really comment.

switzerland - again, not very familiar with this team. so i really dont know what to expect .

both of these teams come from strong curling countries though so i'd think its a safe bet to at least expect both to keep their countries safe for next year. however its possible, with scotland being safe that one of these 2 could find their country relegated.

the dark horse

scotland - i know they didnt do well last year but they impressed me in qualifying this event. its a step up here but if they play as well as they did in qualifying they will be there on playoff weekend. they dont have to worry about relegation either

turkey - not as in winning or getting a medal. but its impressed me how fast turkey has risen. they got 3 wins last year and they should be able to do as well or better here. if there's tiebreakers its not out of the question they are involved

battling relegation

the 3 remaining teams are japan, russia and hungary.
hungary im fairly certain will be relegated. think if they can get a win here then that'll be a success. never underestimate russia but i dont think they are that strong this year .japan is just kind of here because they are remaining. solid team but i dont think they'll battle for a medal. probably just be on the cusp of being safe

prediction on final standings:

gold - sweden
silver - south korea
bronze - canada
4th - scotland
5th - united states
6th - turkey
7th - japan
8th - switzerland
9th - russia
10th - hungary

Last edited by misty1 on 02-14-17 at 06:06PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-14-17 05:30PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

men

the contenders

canada is the overwhelming favorite as far as im concerned. they are so good , seem like a level above everybody else.

united states - probably closest to canada. could see an all north american final here.

china - they were pretty good in qualifying for this event . china doesnt have a great history in junior play but this team could have a big break through for them

the unknowns

im not sure about this swedish team or the south korean team. it being on home ice the south korean men will obviously be motivated to do well and they have had some strong mens teams in juniors in the past. havent heard much of the swedish men but you usually cant count them out

the darkhorse

scotland again is my pick. i dont really think they are as strong as the scottish teams that have been there and had great success like mouat, smith and fraser but scotland just always seems to do well and this is another good team that should be in the hunt in playoff wekend

turkey - not darkhorse to win exactly but this young team impresses me. they could snatch a hand full of wins and upset one of the big teams if they arent careful. if there's tiebreakers they have the potential to be there.

battling relegation

italy, norway and switzerland i think could be in danger here. italy i wasnt impressed by in the least in the qualifying competition and norway, i dont think as that strong this year.they finished 5-4 last year and i think they'll slip down a little this year. same for switzerland in not being as strong

predictions for final standings:

gold - canada
silver - china
bronze - united states
4th - scotland
5th - sweden
6th - turkey
7th - norway
8th - switzerland
9th - South korea
10th - italy

Last edited by misty1 on 02-14-17 at 06:09PM

02-15-17 08:10PM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Both families have wifi and plan to geek this week, so you should be able to follow all the games here:

https://games.curlinggeek.com/

Selected games will also be available streamed via the main site:

http://www.worldcurling.org/wjcc2017/broadcast

02-16-17 07:56AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

nice win for the turkish ladies to start over the united states.

sweden beat canada in the late draw, which i expected would happen. was a back and forth game. slow start for sweden but once they picked it up i had a feeling they'd win in the end

02-16-17 09:07AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

predictions for tomorrow

men draw 2:

china def. turkey

sweden def. norway

united states def. italy

canada def. south korea

women draw 3:

scotland def. turkey

russia def. japan

united states def. hungary

switzerland def. canada

men draw 3:

sweden def. switzerland

canada def. china

south korea def. turkey

scotland def. norway

02-17-17 08:47AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

5-7 today. not bad, almost got .500

picks for tomorrow's draw:

women draw 4:

sweden def. russia

switzerland def. united states

south korea def. japan

men draw 4:

norway def. turkey

scotland def. sweden

china def. italy

switzerland def. united states

women draw 5:

united states def. japan

south korea def. hungary

canada def. turkey

sweden def. scotland

02-23-17 08:05AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

okay, round robin over.

disappointment on both sides is turkey. maybe i over estimated them. i didnt think they be playoff contenders but i thought they'd do enough to stay safe. especially the women only winning 1 game this year as opposed to 3 last year.

china also bombed out hard. thought they would do a lot better than they did (obviously)

and sweden , who i thought could fight for the playoffs just got off to a bad start and by the time they recovered it was to late

norway performed better than i thought

it was also more of a struggle for tardi than i thought, finishing on 3 losses.

so the playoffs

well..sweden and scotland in the 1 v.s 2 game on the ladies side. they have looked the best 2 teams here all week. canada awaits the tiebreak winner between south korea and switzerland. think that should be south korea. at this point its hard to see past a sweden v.s scotland fnal too but in one game playoff you never know

mens side tardi has to play a tiebreaker or he could miss playoffs all together. it wont be easy, he really had his hands full with norway in the round robin. would really be unexpected if he lost and missed out though. south korea has looked like the best team here all week and its looking like it'll take a big ask to beat them now. they could very well win it all.

should be interesting to close it out

02-23-17 09:09AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Good that Canada avoided the log jam at 4th position in the Women's. Korea and Switzerland got dragged back with Russia in waiting. I think it was evener play, as these young curlers from across the globe are playing by the book, and it is working for them. Patience and execution is standing in the wings and will outlive old-school.

02-23-17 09:36PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Wow. Tardi loses the tiebreaker to Norway. I am stunned. I SA him as heavy favorite for gold, I didn't even think missing the podium was a concern. No offense to streiffel but I thought that if one of these teams was in danger of missing the playoffs it would have been streiffel. I'm just shocked.

02-24-17 08:48PM
Sasquatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sasquatch Click here to Send Sasquatch a Private Message Find more posts by Sasquatch Add Sasquatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sasquatch
Hitting Paint

Did anyone else see the clip of Tardi losing the last round robin game that they played during the Scotties? It looked like he could have just picked out a wide open stone for the win but chose to draw instead and came up light for the steal and loss.

02-24-17 09:05PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

no, i didnt see the clip. i tracked it on the livescore graphics though they have and i dont remember tardi ever having a shot for the win.

womens semis scotland crushed canada. i picked scotland to win that semi bases off their play in the week but didnt invision it going down that way

still think sweden will win gold, take scotland for silver and south korea for bronze

men take south korea for gold, united states for silver and norway for bronze

02-24-17 09:17PM
Sasquatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sasquatch Click here to Send Sasquatch a Private Message Find more posts by Sasquatch Add Sasquatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sasquatch
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
no, i didnt see the clip. i tracked it on the livescore graphics though they have and i dont remember tardi ever having a shot for the win.

I just checked the score again. I didn't realize Canada didn't have hammer in the extra. He must have been trying to bury a stone behind his own at the top of the 12 foot.

02-25-17 09:49AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

final womens podium:

Gold - Sweden
Silver - Scotland
Bronze- Canada
4th - South korea
5th- Switzerland
6th - Russia
7th - United states
8th - Japan
9th - Hungary
10th - Turkey

congrats to sweden for gold. In the end the 4 countries i had in playoffs were there. podium is different with scotland and south korea swapping positions. sweden just looked so good all week. well deserved

United states finished a little lower than i though and turkey disappointed. i thought they could build on last year.all 3 teams that qualified to get back here are dropping back down and the same goes for the men

02-25-17 10:27AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

heartbreaker for the cdn men but I think Tardi will be a name we see again. I was dumbfounded by the SCO-CDA women's game. I wondered if there was any inside information about the collapse of our team. Glad they came back for bronze. Both teams had good RRs. Go Cda Go. Any word on the PyeongChang (Gangneung actually) ice conditions?

02-25-17 11:43AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
heartbreaker for the cdn men but I think Tardi will be a name we see again. I was dumbfounded by the SCO-CDA women's game. I wondered if there was any inside information about the collapse of our team. Glad they came back for bronze. Both teams had good RRs. Go Cda Go. Any word on the PyeongChang (Gangneung actually) ice conditions?

That semi was a combination of things. The Scottish girls played lights out, they made pretty much everything and put constant pressure on Canada's back end. Tracy also struggled herself, had one of those games where we couldn't buy a shot and if she made her first missed her second.maltough, most ofbth time she was forced into something difficult on herlast

04-26-23 01:16AM
emmaorabelle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for emmaorabelle Find more posts by emmaorabelle Add emmaorabelle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
emmaorabelle
Harvey Hacksmasher

hi

Thank you for sharing your analysis and predictions for the upcoming World Junior Curling Championships on the women's side.
It will be interesting to see how the tournament plays out and if your predictions come to fruition. Good luck to all the teams competing! exhibit of sorrows

01-15-24 08:51PM
dlajetky08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dlajetky08 Find more posts by dlajetky08 Add dlajetky08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dlajetky08
Knee-Slider

Auntie's Bestie Sweatshirts: A Snuggly Delight for All Ages!

Provide a detailed review of the material quality, comfort, and style of aunties bestie sweatshirt. Encourage readers to share their personal experiences.