Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 6 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 9:30am PT
Pere/Cohe Final
Quin/Abre (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-06-12 07:37AM
Curl401 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curl401 Find more posts by Curl401 Add Curl401 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curl401
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
You know, it seems very clear to me that the only reason for the challenge round is to appease the Yukon, NWT and Nunavut. Three areas even when combined, as was pointed out previously, fail to have more curlers than PEI.

Why is it, when they already have a spot that they contend for and consistently low finishes, that we suddenly need to give them each berths or entertain the truly stupid idea of a challenge round?

If they had the numbers to justify this then great! No problem! But they do not. I sympathize with their geographical reality and agree with an earlier suggestion that the CCA fund the travel costs for their combined championship.

But if you're going this route for a sparsely populated area, then why isn't the GTA or Vancouver Island getting their own team?

Bring in Team Canada by all means and add another draw to the round robin. But throw away this challenge round crap. Its asinine!

Great post
Finally some common sense on this Forum
As I stated earlier it is high time that the Big Name players that have the respect of the Curling World speak up along with the Associations across the Country and put an end to this silly plan. Taem Canada yes
Relegation round and Pools no.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-06-12 08:41AM
amandabulge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amandabulge Click here to Send amandabulge a Private Message Visit amandabulge's homepage! Find more posts by amandabulge Add amandabulge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amandabulge
Hitting Paint

And that's what a lot of people are saying. There has to be a better way of doing this for all. You really think this is going to help I guantee you in won't. Keep curlers in our country from every province and territory curling this certainly won't. Because you really think people are going to take an extra few days to go to regulation. Not. Or we want is a better way than this. Why can't the powers that be listen and stop cantering to a few teams or my guess is maybe even one. I was at a cashspiel on the weekend in Charlottetown and this was brought up there is talk of maybe bending together in the Maritimes and speak up against this and hopefully something will happen. Also other things like strike, don't paying dues and other things. All we want is respect and don't cantering to a few teams. Which is happening way to much. I also see if this happens a very much decrease in attendance. People are agreeing to a two pool system might even increase more people going. I see this a slap in the face to the grassroots curlers in our country who support this throughout the years.

11-06-12 01:01PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I don't see anything wrong with having a relegation round at all! We want the best representative Canada can send to the Worlds and having a team Canada is the only way to ensure this happens. Is it fair for a team like Kevin Martin or Jeff Stoughton to not get to defend their World Championship title because they had one bad week but Colleen Jones or Jennifer Jones can win back to back to back Canadian Championships with a free entry? I hate it when some team comes out of nowhere and gets hot that week then goes to the Worlds and just can't make that magic happen again because they've never been there and don't know what to expect as Team Canada.

Also, there are posts on here every year complaining that Team New Brunswick or PEI didn't get time on TSN once they were eliminated from playoff contention while we watched Alberta or Manitoba game after game. Well if both of those teams are playing in the last draw of the round robin and the loser gets dropped to relegation..... that is drama that I would love to see! I can just picture the intensity both teams show to win that game and make sure they have a Brier to get back to next year. It would sure be a lot better than those teams just playing out the schedule.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.200.117.65

11-06-12 02:10PM
Curl401 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curl401 Find more posts by Curl401 Add Curl401 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curl401
Swing Artist

quote:
I don't see anything wrong with having a relegation round at all! We want the best representative Canada can send to the Worlds and having a team Canada is the only way to ensure this happens. Is it fair for a team like Kevin Martin or Jeff Stoughton to not get to defend their World Championship title because they had one bad week but Colleen Jones or Jennifer Jones can win back to back to back Canadian Championships with a free entry? I hate it when some team comes out of nowhere and gets hot that week then goes to the Worlds and just can't make that magic happen again because they've never been there and don't know what to expect as Team Canada.

Also, there are posts on here every year complaining that Team New Brunswick or PEI didn't get time on TSN once they were eliminated from playoff contention while we watched Alberta or Manitoba game after game. Well if both of those teams are playing in the last draw of the round robin and the loser gets dropped to relegation..... that is drama that I would love to see! I can just picture the intensity both teams show to win that game and make sure they have a Brier to get back to next year. It would sure be a lot better than those teams just playing out the schedule.

All the posters who don't want a Relegation round agree with you

For the seventh f'ing time we all want Team Canada with a 13 team draw. How does including three teams from the North and having a relegation round have anything to do with having a Team Canada that can win the worlds??Answer...nothing!

11-06-12 03:00PM
josef151

Add a Team Canada to the Brier but cut out one Ontario Team.....why should they have 2

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 173.180.145.199

11-06-12 03:31PM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:

But if you're going this route for a sparsely populated area, then why isn't the GTA or Vancouver Island getting their own team?
[/B]

Looking back at the history of the brier, at one point there was city representation... From 1927 to 1932 both Toronto and Montreal sent teams to the Brier on top of the regular Ontario, Northern Ontario and Quebec entries.

11-06-12 03:48PM
Curl401
Swing Artist

quote:

Keep in mind that of the last 28 Briers Ontario Manitoba and Alberta have won 25 of them which is just shy of 90%. You want to make sure that Manitoba,Ontario or Alberta get two teams! How much dominence will make you happy? You get your second Team when we add Team Canada which 90% of the time is one of Man,Ont or Alberta. I hope you get the picture.

Why is so important to send another province packing? You think there is drama in two 1 and 9 teams playing a game to go 2 and 9. Lose 9 games in a Brier after sweeping your guts out all week and try to imagine how much fun that is. Curling is a sport of gentlemen and sportsmanship.To make a game like that a spectacle is not the sport I know and love.

I just do not get any of it.

11-06-12 04:13PM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by josef151
Add a Team Canada to the Brier but cut out one Ontario Team.....why should they have 2

There are numerous reasons why.... part tradition, but mostly out of practicality. That's why they are introducing a Northern Ontario berth into the Scotties in 2015 as well.

11-06-12 04:58PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by duct_tape

There are numerous reasons why.... part tradition, but mostly out of practicality. That's why they are introducing a Northern Ontario berth into the Scotties in 2015 as well.

Yes. Before when the subject of team Canada came up it was at the expense of Northern Ontario. I think the solution the CCA came up with is better than that.

Now, I don't mind the notion of 13 teams, but I honestly don't see how this solution is worse. If you don't like it that's fine, just don't argue that it's about fairness.

11-06-12 05:02PM
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

Yes. Before when the subject of team Canada came up it was at the expense of Northern Ontario. I think the solution the CCA came up with is better than that.

Now, I don't mind the notion of 13 teams, but I honestly don't see how this solution is worse. If you don't like it that's fine, just don't argue that it's about fairness.

Part of the CCA solution is fine, however I'm also not crazy about the relegation round. I agree it would be best to let every team in and play out a full round robin. It's more draws and more days, but it's still the proper way to run the national championship.

11-06-12 10:51PM
Curl401
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by duct_tape

Part of the CCA solution is fine, however I'm also not crazy about the relegation round. I agree it would be best to let every team in and play out a full round robin. It's more draws and more days, but it's still the proper way to run the national championship.

Great post
Agree agree agree

Common sense prevails

11-07-12 09:10AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Curl401

All the posters who don't want a Relegation round agree with you

For the seventh f'ing time we all want Team Canada with a 13 team draw. How does including three teams from the North and having a relegation round have anything to do with having a Team Canada that can win the worlds??Answer...nothing!

Agreed. There are two separate issues here; Team Canada and the relegation round.

Team Canada is not a problem for almost everyone. The relegation round is-and for numerous, logical and well laid out reasons.

But don't think for one second that the big names are going to speak out against it. All those teams are now having their pockets lined by the CCA. And none have the courage to bite the hand that feeds them.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.131

11-07-12 09:26AM
Unregistered

Here's a thought...why don't we all just get on with our day with the realization that the CCA will make the best decision for fans and curlers alike.

(where is the sarcasm font when needed!!!)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.254.78.133

11-07-12 09:34AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

My concern is after all this fuss to include Nunavut, that they at least make an effort to have some sort of playdown not send the only team who signs up. This is what was happening at the Dominion Club playdowns. I don't mind including Yukon and NWT as they have had fairly competitive teams over the years.

Still not sure about the relegation round...

11-08-12 01:13PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
My concern is after all this fuss to include Nunavut, that they at least make an effort to have some sort of playdown not send the only team who signs up. This is what was happening at the Dominion Club playdowns. I don't mind including Yukon and NWT as they have had fairly competitive teams over the years.

I think the best compromise is to allow all the teams (personally I don't think Nunavut deserves a spot. Because they have so few curlers), split the field into two pools based on each team's current CTRS ranking and send the two pool winners plus the next two best records (regardless of the pool) into the page playoff.

The CTRS should balance the strength of the pools as opposed to using data from previous years that would not be reflective of the team playing in the current event.

I think this, based on everything I've read here, makes for the fairest and best competition under the circumstances.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.172

11-08-12 03:24PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by J-Ho
I pretty much agree with the "nay" comments mentioned here. If they were going to alter tradition anyway, I think they would have been better off to simply have two pools or some format like that and include everyone. Like a previous poster said, can't wait till the relegated team is Alberta, Manitoba or Saskatchewan!

JH

In the last 25 years, only once has a team west of Ontario been the worst team. That was Jim Packet's rink in 1997 from Saskatchewan. Other than that it has been Quebec once, NB, NS and NO twice each, PEI seven times and the Territories 10 times. The Territories went 0-11 in the 1999, 2004 and 2005 Briers. NO followed that up by going 0-11 in 2006.

So if you are looking for the worst team to be from a power province, you are likely going to be waiting a long time. With the way the tours are going now I'd place a large sum of money you won't see a team from Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan or Alberta in the bottom spot for the next 50 years. BC would be much more likely to do it than any of those provinces, but it'd still be highly improbable.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.187.103.209

11-08-12 04:04PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

In the last 25 years, only once has a team west of Ontario been the worst team. That was Jim Packet's rink in 1997 from Saskatchewan. Other than that it has been Quebec once, NB, NS and NO twice each, PEI seven times and the Territories 10 times. The Territories went 0-11 in the 1999, 2004 and 2005 Briers. NO followed that up by going 0-11 in 2006.

So if you are looking for the worst team to be from a power province, you are likely going to be waiting a long time. With the way the tours are going now I'd place a large sum of money you won't see a team from Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan or Alberta in the bottom spot for the next 50 years. BC would be much more likely to do it than any of those provinces, but it'd still be highly improbable.

Saskatchewan has finished Below BC in the standings the last 2 years in a row and in 2010 the only reason they were above BC was a win over them in the round robin. Having pointed that out i question how you think BC would have a better shot of finishing last than saskatchewan.

Honestly i'd be surprised if any other team than new brunswick, the yukon, prince edward island or quebec finish last but saskatchewan and BC have been bottom of the table and pretty dman close to last these last 3 years in a row.

Saskatchewan has a couple good teams right now as does BC but for whatever reason they cant put it together at the brier.

11-08-12 05:09PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

I think the best compromise is to allow all the teams (personally I don't think Nunavut deserves a spot. Because they have so few curlers), split the field into two pools based on each team's current CTRS ranking and send the two pool winners plus the next two best records (regardless of the pool) into the page playoff.

The CTRS should balance the strength of the pools as opposed to using data from previous years that would not be reflective of the team playing in the current event.

I think this, based on everything I've read here, makes for the fairest and best competition under the circumstances.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.228

11-09-12 12:00PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Well put and sensible. Therefore, the CCA will never do it...

11-10-12 06:39PM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beermaker
Drawmaster

Sure glad you could share that Chinese **** with us, thanks for posting!, not!

11-16-12 01:46PM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

Here we go again. The Brier is already superior to the Scotties with the absence of the unjustified Team Canada. It's better to select all teams in the national championships from this season's efforts, and not bringing in the winner from last year.

The Brier works well but they have decided to create a controversial and convoluted system that will have as many detractors as supporters.

The Brier ain't broke folks, it don't need fixing.

11-16-12 02:43PM
Curl401
Swing Artist

Team Canada is a done deal.A vote from curlers and fans across the country would confirm it so let's get over that part of the equation.
For all those posters from Provines like PEI who fear being knocked out in the relegation round I would suggest the most productive argument should come from the Associations that would most be impacted from such a change.

Negotiate with the CCA about the possibility of a 13 team playdown with all the provinces including Team Canada participating.
It is an argument that could be won. They are not ever going back on including Team Canada so get over it. Also the Brier is never going to Pools nor should they.

Last edited by Curl401 on 11-16-12 at 02:45PM

11-16-12 04:10PM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Negotiate with the CCA about the possibility of a 13 team playdown with all the provinces including Team Canada participating.

So make it longer than it already is? It's nine days now. It will be ten with 12 more matches.

The least they could do is only have one team team from Ontario.

11-17-12 09:20AM
Curl401
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by greenroad

So make it longer than it already is? It's nine days now. It will be ten with 12 more matches.

The least they could do is only have one team team from Ontario.

The CCA is not going to pull Northern Ontarion from the Brier
They have been in it since 1927

Before PEI,NLBC and several other provinces so be realistic ......they are going nowhere

Presently the Brier starts Saturday and the Round Robin is over on Thursday night (6 days)
Then there are 3 days of Playoffs which some years is 4 games

A 13 Team Round Robin with playoffs can be played in the same time frame by using 5 sheets

The CCA uses 5 sheets in the Olmpic Trials and it works very well

Also the Teams arrive Thursday and if need be we could start with a draw Friday night

Thirteen teams with Team Canada works a lot better than a relegation round and all the logistics and heart break it will cause

Last edited by Curl401 on 11-17-12 at 09:22AM

11-17-12 01:23PM
Unregistered

quote:

The CCA is not going to pull Northern Ontarion from the Brier
They have been in it since 1927

Before PEI,NLBC and several other provinces so be realistic ......they are going nowhere

Presently the Brier starts Saturday and the Round Robin is over on Thursday night (6 days)
Then there are 3 days of Playoffs which some years is 4 games

A 13 Team Round Robin with playoffs can be played in the same time frame by using 5 sheets

The CCA uses 5 sheets in the Olmpic Trials and it works very well

Also the Teams arrive Thursday and if need be we could start with a draw Friday night

Thirteen teams with Team Canada works a lot better than a relegation round and all the logistics and heart break it will cause

Well put Curl401. But as jamcan said in one of his posts; it's logical and sensible. Therefore, the CCA will never do it.

It's actually fascinating to read this thread and the Masters thread. Here you have two governing bodies that either won't or can't organise their marquee events in an intelligent fashion.

It actually makes one shudder for the future of the sport.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.91.107.154