CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
M: European Curling Championships C-Division
Dumfries, SCO
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: W1 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 7:00pm GMT

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 8 of 16 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-05-14 02:00PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

I agree 100% that Gushue would not have won the Olympics (or the trials) without Russ. He was average at best in terms of ice reading and strategy. Russ was one of the best the game has ever seen at both of these things. He immediately fixed Team Gushue's greatest weakness. With that said, let's not remove the fact that both Brad and Mark Nicols (do not underestimate the HUGE difference maker Mark Nicols was) made a pile of shots, including when the pressure was on. Russ would not have won either without these hot shooters on his team.

Where does that leave Gushue today? I see a much more capable skip who still makes a pile of good shots. Not only that but he remains 100% commited to the game. For that reason he is still amoung the best in Canada. I'm not so sure about his current team though. Last year at the brier they played very well. This year not so much. They're young yet and have potential, but they need to step up before Team Gushue will be in a position to be the next Martin / Howard / Stoughton / Ferbey type team. A team that's capable of winning a Slam or two on a yearly basis, WCT Money title and brier. I still think Gushue is capable of skipping such a team, he either needs to be patient enough for his current team to grow into that role, or find a new team capable of that.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-05-14 03:08PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Deucey
I agree 100% that Gushue would not have won the Olympics (or the trials) without Russ. He was average at best in terms of ice reading and strategy. Russ was one of the best the game has ever seen at both of these things. He immediately fixed Team Gushue's greatest weakness. With that said, let's not remove the fact that both Brad and Mark Nicols (do not underestimate the HUGE difference maker Mark Nicols was) made a pile of shots, including when the pressure was on. Russ would not have won either without these hot shooters on his team.

Where does that leave Gushue today? I see a much more capable skip who still makes a pile of good shots. Not only that but he remains 100% commited to the game. For that reason he is still amoung the best in Canada. I'm not so sure about his current team though. Last year at the brier they played very well. This year not so much. They're young yet and have potential, but they need to step up before Team Gushue will be in a position to be the next Martin / Howard / Stoughton / Ferbey type team. A team that's capable of winning a Slam or two on a yearly basis, WCT Money title and brier. I still think Gushue is capable of skipping such a team, he either needs to be patient enough for his current team to grow into that role, or find a new team capable of that.

well he's honestly not going to get any better then who he has with him now in Newfoundland.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

03-05-14 03:40PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

well he's honestly not going to get any better then who he has with him now in Newfoundland.

True ... maybe he'll take up "residency" somewhere else next year

03-05-14 03:50PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Question: If Northern Ontario gets relegated, how does this impact Brad Jacobs?

03-05-14 03:58PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

They wont. Brad's previous appearances at the brier will keep them safe for a while

but hypothetically if they were he'd have to play that playoff to get to the brier..assuming he wins northern Ontario next year

03-05-14 04:08PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Seems like an odd draw when some teams have playe 8 games and others have played only 6 games. I would think that there should never be a game differential other than 1.

03-05-14 04:10PM
Unregistered

I had the same thought as well, but I remembered that the 11am draw Eastern time is the 9am draw Pacific time. There's still 2 more draws to come today. The teams that are 2 games behind probably play both the aft & evening draws?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.82.243.84

03-05-14 04:15PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:

They wont. Brad's previous appearances at the brier will keep them safe for a while

Ah, right. I forgot it's a multi-year accumulation.

03-05-14 04:58PM
Smallsey42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smallsey42 Click here to Send Smallsey42 a Private Message Find more posts by Smallsey42 Add Smallsey42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smallsey42
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

It is impossible for Northern Ontario to be relegated at this point. The three-worst jurisdictions will join Nunavut in next year's pre-Brier playoff.
Currently, of the 13 jurisdictions that already participate in the Brier, PEI is third-worst over the past three Briers, with 8 wins (Nova Scotia is second-worst with 5 wins and Yukon is last with 0, since it hasn't sent a team since 2008). Since PEI only has three games left, the most wins it can have is 11 and Northern Ontario already has 15, so there is no way it can be passed by PEI.
As for the teams relegated, it appears it will be PEI, NS, Yukon and Nunavut. Those four would playoff before hand with the winner getting the 12th spot in the Brier. If the CCA does the playoff the way it does it in the mixed championships, then it will be a double-knockout. However, two teams qualify out of the mixed relegation playoff (there is no Team Canada) so it is not clear if they will use the double-knockout.
Hope that helps.

03-05-14 08:07PM
Unregistered

that's the first game this week that Manitoba has looked like itself.

03-06-14 12:18AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

The best draw I have ever seen, to win a Brier, was in 2010.
The best draw I have ever seen was tonight by the same curler. And he is not known for draws. K.Koe has been the best pure thrower for quite a few years now.

03-06-14 12:22AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

5 losses may well be good enough

Quebec has to play K Koe

Laycock has to play Balsdon, Morris, Grattan.

Balsdon has to play Laycock and Stoughton

Gushue plays Currie and NWT.

That guarantees at least one four team is going to 5 cause they are playing each other.

All three of them have to play one of the top three.

Whereas Gushue has two games he should win.

Five is looking very much like it will be part of the mix by weeks end.

03-06-14 12:31AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Best pure shooter

The best shooter to my mind has long been Wayne Middaugh

When he played second for Russ and Glenn with Pete corner he was as the saying goes, 'money'. Doing everything that we are seeing from Marc Nichols this Brier and have seen from Marc Kennedy in past Briers.

When he skipped he was one of the most aggressive of all the skips at the outset of the FGZ. Pulling off incredible in-offs for big scores. I remember one for 5 in the Brier that was on the highlight reel for years. He won more Grand Slams as a skip than Stoughton, or Koe, and has gone on to win a bunch more with Glenn as Vice.

He can do it all. Huge weight, freezes, the in between stuff.

He shot 96% in the Canadian Junior final in his first moment in the spotlight.

And he shot 98% in the game against Koe that Team Howard dominated in the final of the 2012 Brier.

What most certainly cannot be argued for absolute sure is no player has ever taken less time to get the brick underway. If for nothing else you gotta like him for that:-)

03-06-14 08:29AM
Unregistered

Re: 5 losses may well be good enough

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
Quebec has to play K Koe

Laycock has to play Balsdon, Morris, Grattan.

Balsdon has to play Laycock and Stoughton

Gushue plays Currie and NWT.

That guarantees at least one four team is going to 5 cause they are playing each other.

All three of them have to play one of the top three.

Whereas Gushue has two games he should win.

Five is looking very much like it will be part of the mix by weeks end.

I agree, if I had to guess this is how things will play out:

koe will beat menard

laycock will lose all 3

balsdon will lose to Stoughton but beat laycock

gushue will win both

new Brunswick will win out to finish

in the end the standings will look something like this:

Alberta 10-1
Manitoba 9-2
British Columbia 9-2
quebec, newfoundland, new Brunswick 6-5

03-06-14 08:29AM
Unregistered

oh and Ontario will be 6-5 too

03-06-14 11:03AM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

With a day and a draw left it's still all to play for, If Ontario beats MAN,SASK then they'll bring them back to them and create a little mess for fourth.
I don't think 5 losses will be enough to get you in though, the standard over the years has been 4 losses, sometimes not even that.

03-06-14 02:01PM
Unregistered

quote:
I think that's why Brad is so desperate to win a Brier. He is a great curler, no one can say he is not. However I still do hear a fair amount of people who are of the idea that without Russ Howard Brad Gushue never even would have won the trials yet alone the Olympics.
You cant really say for sure what would have happened, I think its unfair to take all credit away from brad. However I think with every year that belief that he only won because of Russ grows stronger and maybe more people start to think that way too

If Brad could win a Brier maybe it would finally shut those people up. Im sure Brad could care less what people think of him but maybe somewhere in the back of his mind it is a motivator for him

I'm in that camp. I don't think Gushue makes it to the Olympics without Howard. Not a slight on Brad, Howard just added the piece they were missing at the time (and have been missing ever since) But much like Gushue doesn't win without Howard, Howard doesnt win without Brad, and Nichols too. Its a team game, and that makeup worked fantasticly.

What I'm not sold on is Gushue as a championship skip. Some of the things Russ brought to the table are things Brad is missing as a skip. Hes been at it a long time and can shoot with the best of them, but still cant win the big game, and his tinkering has taken away more talent than it brought in IMHO. Maybe he needs that veteran skip talent with him to mentor. I know he tried with Ferby but that was a big fail. But maybe that would work. Problem is, he either needs to relocate or convince someone to make the move. I think a Martin/Gushue combo would be insanely good but I dont think logistically it would happen.

I think SK wins vs On/As for my Brier piece today. I think SK wins vs ON/NB and stays at the 4 loss line to go to the playoffs. I think it'll be BC/AB/MB/SK

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 167.129.240.20

03-06-14 03:01PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Freeze to the red!

Is the one I like.

03-06-14 03:01PM
Unregistered

why in the hell are we being forced to watch Saskatchewan again?

Quebec and the Yukon has playoff implications too

03-06-14 03:07PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Why Saskatchewan?

My absolute 100%, no foundation for it, guess:-)

Two reasons. They like the younguns, and they can't follow what Quebec is saying.

03-06-14 03:14PM
Deucey
Drawmaster

Sask vs Ontario involves 2 teams in the playoff hunt. If Sask wins then only Que can catch them and only if they win out. If Sask loses then a lot of teams still have life, including Ontario. It's not that tough of a call.

Relax Que fans, they'll show your team playing AB, especially if playoffs are still on the line.

03-06-14 03:19PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Freeze the yellow

I don't see how the freeze to the yellow was any different than hitting the yellow. Gave the exact same crotch double did it not?

If he corner freezes the red for shot Jeff can't hit the reds and get shot. He's got to play a draw tick off his own yellow to get shot. Much harder than what he was faced with.

Johnny Mo misunderstood the angles on that one. Proven by the fact that Cotter made the shot perfectly and Jeff's shot was basically unmissable.

03-06-14 03:38PM
Unregistered

Re: Freeze the yellow

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
I don't see how the freeze to the yellow was any different than hitting the yellow. Gave the exact same crotch double did it not?

If he corner freezes the red for shot Jeff can't hit the reds and get shot. He's got to play a draw tick off his own yellow to get shot. Much harder than what he was faced with.

Johnny Mo misunderstood the angles on that one. Proven by the fact that Cotter made the shot perfectly and Jeff's shot was basically unmissable.

Agrred not that well thought out.
Or hit the yellow and flop out a foot or two. Made Jeff draw the button or hit and stick in 4 foot with no catcher.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.6.40.179

03-06-14 03:55PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Deucey
Sask vs Ontario involves 2 teams in the playoff hunt. If Sask wins then only Que can catch them and only if they win out. If Sask loses then a lot of teams still have life, including Ontario. It's not that tough of a call.

Relax Que fans, they'll show your team playing AB, especially if playoffs are still on the line.

Technically both quebec are Yukon are still in the hunt. Besides it would give something better to watch than the Saskatchewan team who makes me want to fall asleep

03-06-14 03:57PM
Unregistered

Re: Re: Freeze the yellow

quote:

Agrred not that well thought out.
Or hit the yellow and flop out a foot or two. Made Jeff draw the button or hit and stick in 4 foot with no catcher.

pvrd the dsm thing even adding 15 min. but ran out last rock 10th, didn't see any of EE.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.72.149.228