CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
M: European Curling Championships C-Division
Dumfries, SCO
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: W1 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 7:00pm GMT

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 16 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-03-14 01:06AM
BMalc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BMalc Click here to Send BMalc a Private Message Find more posts by BMalc Add BMalc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BMalc
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yeah, just like the Scotties, the curling at the Briar has been rather spotty so far. Sitting in the stands, watching 4 games at once, there are a lot of untimely misses and some questionable strategy. Even Kevin Koe got away with one in his game against Gushue. He asked Simmons to hit a rock that seemed to be half buried (or more), instead of peeling the guard. Koe up 5-1 at the time. Simmons chipped the guard into the rings and Gallant hit a rock in the 4 ft to sit 3. Koe had to throw a rocket to make a double, then try again on his last. A little fortunate to only give up 2.

Last edited by BMalc on 03-03-14 at 10:25AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-03-14 01:19AM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I guess NL is TSN's team this year, twice in one day!!!!

Both Gushue and Koe. Isn't Koe going to be featured for the fourth time tomorrow afternoon and it's only Day 3? I've already seen more of Gushue than I want to in a lifetime. Their numbers are going to be way down if they don't start featuring some of the other rinks too. I know I won't watch if they have NL on. It's not even good curling.

03-03-14 07:54AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I guess NL is TSN's team this year, twice in one day!!!! More puzzled looks from Brad's boys as they miss their shots and more circus shots from Brad,

Please tsn -no more Goo-his whining about rocks, slide path and his childish dressing down of his team is overdone snd Gallant needs to keep his trap shut and let Brad make the calls.

03-03-14 08:12AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
I've been really impressed with Gushue the last couple of years. He has elevated his consistency to the level of the best skips in the country. What he does not have however is a Johnny Meade or Wayne Middaugh or Johnny Mo.

He had one in Nichols and chased him away.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.222.31.122

03-03-14 08:51AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

So who will be moving in the off season? Brad Gushue (who's team looks awful tonight!) or John the Parachute Morris :D

Morris to Halifax?
Gushue stays home!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 156.34.254.50

03-03-14 09:42AM
Unregistered

Lol. Gushue has a great team , If i were tsn id be showing cotter, baldson, stoughton, gushue, and koe all the time too. - they are the ones i like to watch. ...

They just need to drop arena tickets to $15 a ticket to fill the arena , and delay the jumbotron about 4 seconds to get rid of the classless wavers.

Pretty sure a million of us are watching on tv and having a great time.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

03-03-14 10:53AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Gushue has a good team. Greatness is still some ways away.

At this point in his career he's sort of a rich man's Mike Harris. They both won the trials and never won the Brier.

Harris did not have the benefit of playing in Nfld and instead had to get past Russ and Glenn and The Wrench and Middaugh. A task that very few accomplished. My zone offering two spots to the regions, had Harris and Middaugh for god sake. Never beat either of them even once. A perfect record as I like to call it....lol.....

Team Harris as everyone in Ontario knew, especially when they had Rich Hart, were flat out dangerous. The kind of team that everyone liked. Mike and Rich being such good natured guys. And the kind of team you'd rather somebody else had to play. If we had a time machine to bring them in their prime against Gushue's current team it would be a coin flip between them.

That said of course Gushue has the much greater fame, and the much more impressive record thanks to his many times many Brier appearances. He also has 1 WCT win. Something not many teams can say. Stoughton only has four for example. McEwen and Koe three.

So yes a very good record. Greatness? Not yet.

03-03-14 11:00AM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameon
Hitting Paint

Had to comment on the end of the NS - BC game last night... I would have to say the NS team might win games in mens' league in AB, but not that many if they play the end of a game like last night. All I can say is John was laughing all the way to the bank when NS tookout the only two rocks that were a problem to BC and left NS up the creek without a paddle. Worst 1-up without 10th-end strategy ever.

03-03-14 11:13AM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Loony

Both Gushue and Koe. Isn't Koe going to be featured for the fourth time tomorrow afternoon and it's only Day 3? I've already seen more of Gushue than I want to in a lifetime. Their numbers are going to be way down if they don't start featuring some of the other rinks too. I know I won't watch if they have NL on. It's not even good curling.

There were 4 pre tournament favourites. MB, BC, AB and NL. They played each other a lot on opening weekend so it only makes sense to feature a game between two favourites (something about liking high viewing numbers). They'll make sure everyone gets on TV from Monday to Wednesday and then Thursday and Friday they'll show the games most likely to impact the playoffs.

They do it like this every year so no surprise really.

03-03-14 12:15PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Richie Hart can without a doubt lay claim to one of the best records by a third ever.

Olympic Silver

World Championship

7 Brier appearances
1 Brier win
4 Brier silver
1 Brier bronze

8 Grand Slam victories

There is only one third with a better record in the Grand Slam era. That being Johnny Mo. With John Mead being just a whisker back with no Olympics, less slams but 1 more Brier.

Last edited by JB42 on 03-03-14 at 12:19PM

03-03-14 12:43PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by gameon
Had to comment on the end of the NS - BC game last night... I would have to say the NS team might win games in mens' league in AB, but not that many if they play the end of a game like last night. All I can say is John was laughing all the way to the bank when NS tookout the only two rocks that were a problem to BC and left NS up the creek without a paddle. Worst 1-up without 10th-end strategy ever.

|I thought John was so happy he had the broom down for the next BC shot before the NS shot had settled.

03-03-14 01:50PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
So yes a very good record. Greatness? Not yet.

It's possible to argue that even 'very good' is a stretch. Not to come across as sounding trite, but Gushue has only two notable wins on his career resume - the '06 Olympics and '10 National GS. That's not a lot for someone who turned pro 12 years ago. Even his Brier record is subpar - people like to point out that he's been there 10 times, but it's a near auto-berth for him, and despite all those appearances, he has no victories and only two top 3 finishes to show for it.

His career record does not support putting him in the elite tier of Canadian curlers IMO.

At times I feel like he will forever appear better than his career record would indicate, simply because of '06.

03-03-14 02:35PM
Unregistered

Gushe

in 2 days of curling we have seen Gushe 3x on TSN, what gives?

Like Nelosi said, this guy is overrated but because u win Olympic gold, u are treated like a star forever.

To compare the TSN crew to the CBC crew, it is obvious that the TSN crew has become stagnant while Mike Harris & McCusker sort of liven it up a bit.

in the words of the mortal Mike Harris...."terrible, terrible".

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.189.94.11

03-03-14 02:38PM
JB42
Drawmaster

As someone who tried his hand at competitive curling for a few years. Finding out in the process that his place in the hierarchy of curling warriors was cannon fodder...alas....I view Gushue's achievements as very good.

Though I get your point. It's all a question of what is meant by very good. To my way of thinking, anyone who wins a Trials, an Olympic Gold, a Slam, and has made the playoffs in the Brier a couple of times, is in select company. Aka. Very good.

03-03-14 04:23PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
As someone who tried his hand at competitive curling for a few years. Finding out in the process that his place in the hierarchy of curling warriors was cannon fodder...alas....I view Gushue's achievements as very good.

Though I get your point. It's all a question of what is meant by very good. To my way of thinking, anyone who wins a Trials, an Olympic Gold, a Slam, and has made the playoffs in the Brier a couple of times, is in select company. Aka. Very good.

I would tend to agree (I say that a lot for you). While Gushue cannot be put in the same tier as Martin / Stoughton / Howard or other such champions of years past he certainly qualifies as good.

People forget how young he is because he's been around for so long. He's only 33. By comparison Jeff Stoughton didn't win his firts brier until ... he was 33. Martin won the brier at 25, but then not again until 31. Koe won his first brier at 35. You'd be hard pressed to find many 33 year olds with a comparable record to Gushue.

Now you only get the "young still" pass for so long and then you have to start cashing some championship checks. But given that he gets an auto berth to the brier and that he's made playoff several times I'm thinking he will have one or two at least before he calls it quits.

My point is he definitely qualifies to be called "very good".

03-03-14 04:54PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Deucey

People forget how young he is because he's been around for so long. He's only 33. By comparison Jeff Stoughton didn't win his firts brier until ... he was 33. Martin won the brier at 25, but then not again until 31. Koe won his first brier at 35. You'd be hard pressed to find many 33 year olds with a comparable record to Gushue.

There's a key difference between a mid 30s Gushue and the three guys you mention (Stoughton, Martin and Koe). Gushue has had 10 chances at a Brier, by virtue of his province. Stoughton had to battle out of Manitoba, and actually won the Brier in only his 2nd appearance. Martin and Koe, of course had to battle out of Alberta against other elite rinks just to make it to the Brier. Koe won on his first trip to the Brier. Martin also won on his first trip to the Brier, and then again on his 5th, but had top 3 finishes on all 3 of his appearances in between.

My point is, if Gushue really was 'that good', why does he have only one 2nd and one 3rd place finish to show for 10 Brier appearances?

03-03-14 05:15PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Why not Gushue?

Three reasons: A) It's a team game and while his teams have been good teams, they haven't been great ones.

B)Howard, Martin, Stoughton, Ferby, Koe, and now Jacobs. Those on the other hand are great ones and they've scoffed every Brier since 2001 except two.

The only exceptions to the above litany of legends and superstars were Dacey beating Ferbey and Menard beating Glenn Howard. And even at that in both games the upset winners were outplayed. They just managed the more important element better - they got more points. Beneficiaries of the 'any given day' possibility that keeps a lot of us playing. And while that possibility does undoubtedly exist there ain't many of them.

C) I started this discussion off by saying I've been very impressed by Gushue in the last couple of Briers. He is better now than he was then.

03-03-14 05:36PM
Unregistered

It does seem unfortunate and unlucky on Brad's part that every time you think it might be right for him to strike and win a brier there always seems to be another team that's younger that comes along and does it faster and seems to get better faster.

ofcourse for a long time he had Stoughton, howard and martin to contend with and he still does

now add in koe and McEwen who aren't younger but have seemingly progressed faster

now the rise of Jacobs

and with younger teams like epping, kean, virtue and bottcher who are younger its not going to get any easier

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

03-03-14 05:39PM
Unregistered

I want to specify im not saying martin, Stoughton or howard are young guns

also..please let the feature game be BC v.s PEI or really anything but Manitoba and alberta

ive seen enough of alberta and newfoundland for the time being. Both have been featured 3 times already

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

03-03-14 05:44PM
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

My point is, if Gushue really was 'that good', why does he have only one 2nd and one 3rd place finish to show for 10 Brier appearances?

It just depends on what you mean by "that good". I'm not trying to make a case for him winning the brier. It's just some people are suggesting he's no good, which I think is unfair.

It's also unfair to hold his record as a much younger team against him. Had Koe made the brier every year from the time he joined men's perhaps he too would have missed the playoffs several times.

If you watch them play, Brad makes a pile of shots. I don't see his team quite being championship caliber yet ... but the same could have been said for Jacobs until just last year. These guys are close enough to make that leap. It might not happen this year or even next, but they still qualify as a really good team.

03-03-14 10:37PM
sooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sooner Find more posts by sooner Add sooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sooner
Hitting Paint

anybody no what became of the guy who played third for jame coe last year.

03-03-14 11:02PM
BMalc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BMalc Click here to Send BMalc a Private Message Find more posts by BMalc Add BMalc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BMalc
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

TSN would be crazy not to show the Manitoba v Alberta game tonite. Could be a preview of the gold medal final; especially Koe. Stoughton has been playing paper-cut strategy, trying to try oddball shots and combinations and with that he's allowed the fawns to jump all over him.

Goo has to go like Bud to just get into a tie-break position. Balsdon is quietly going about his job. Remember, although he lost to Glen Howard on a bit of a fluke (Glen's last brick picked) he did take a legend like Glen down to last shot. He may be in his first Brier but he's no fawn.

Ontario looked very ordinary asgainst NB this afternoon. Greg didn't get a lot of support. A game they needed to win. Jimmy "The Kid" was back.

03-03-14 11:05PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Manitoolba legend

quote:
Jeff has officially gone sour.

Koe shouldn't have any problem polishing off the Manitoba giant - handshakes after 7, I presume!!!

Something is wrong with Jeff - they've got 2 or 3 days to find out what. . . . and they'll need a couple fawns to capitulate. I can see Jeff dropping 4 games out of remaining matches, obviously including tonite!

Down 2 after 5 and you're writing him off. He's playing the next best team here and for a change you're crapping all over them. Very surprising as according to you the sun rises and sets over MB but you still find the time to rip your home province's teams, only to come back later to say oh MB is the greatest just like I told you so. Pick a side, best or worst and shut up.

03-03-14 11:34PM
Unregistered

quote:
Jeff has officially gone sour.

Koe shouldn't have any problem polishing off the Manitoba giant - handshakes after 7, I presume!!!

Something is wrong with Jeff - they've got 2 or 3 days to find out what. . . . and they'll need a couple fawns to capitulate. I can see Jeff dropping 4 games out of remaining matches, obviously including tonite!

Jeff just seems a bit out of sync, mainly on his peels.

There's no way anybody is going to run the table or have only 1 loss.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.159.24

03-04-14 12:03AM
Unregistered

Thumbs down

I wonder if Koe benches Carter next game. He's being annoying!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.159.24