CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
M: European Curling Championships C-Division
Dumfries, SCO
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: W1 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 7:00pm GMT

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2016 Scotties Tournament of Hearts

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 23 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-22-16 07:59AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

well ..i have had a time getting back on here. had trouble with getting my password to work. every time i logged in it said there was a security breach and i couldnt get on. then my password wouldnt work so i had to reset it..twice

so far i have enjoyed the games i have seen. pretty happy they got steph ledrew on board, think thats a great addition to the team. my only complaint would be that brian always seems to be the one working the game i can watch.

standings dont surprise me so far, the only result i would say i didnt see coming was BC upsetting Quebec.

Jen being 1-2 is something i thought could happen when i saw her draw. that 10th end though..i feel bad for then because that was about the worst possible 10th end her team could play in front of her, didnt leave her many options and at least not any good ones. the biggest mistake? kaitlyn lawes having a brain fart and sending down a northern ontario stone..wow

krista made a great draw to win though, well done

predictions for games today:

saskatchewan def. new brunswick - new brunswick should be 2-1 right now . they havent looked bad and this could be tight but i think saskatchewan will pull through

nova scotia def. british columbia - havent been impressed by BC from what i have seen .nova scotia has played well but had major brain farts against northern ontario late.if they can avoid those they should win here

quebec def. newfoundland - quebec ..they had a loss they never should have last night against BC after 2 great wins over ontario and saskatchewan. that does damage their playoff hopes a bit. they need to rebound with a win here to get back on track and i think they should.

northern ontario def. alberta - could go either way but, riding high off the win from last night i think northern ontario takes this

night draw

alberta def. prince edward island - this could be a quick one .if im right and northern ontario beats them i dont see them dropping 2 in a row

canada def. newfoundland - jen will get back on track and cruise to a win here

manitoba def. saskatchewan- manitoba, aside from that nova scotia game has looked the better team and should win here

ontario def. nova scotia - ontario really should be 0-3,which is a bit surprising but i think they'll win here.

Last edited by misty1 on 02-22-16 at 08:08AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-22-16 08:07AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Krista made a routine shot to the button which JJ should have made and limit ON to a tie point. JJ would have hammer in extra end.

02-22-16 08:43AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Kaitlyn was pretty much best player on ice

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
OK, last 3 ends - Krista Mac was pretty much spot on.

From a technical or performance point of view I can't fault Kaitlyn.

She also seems to have accepted her role as "Team Mirror" for Jones when Jones goes into "Stinkin' Thinkin'" mode.

While she hasn't totally disengaged herself from Jones occasional poor strategy and frustrating line shouts she appears content to just throw her stones and brush like the dickens when required.

She knows Jennifer is judge, jury and executor of all major strategy decision so Kaitlyn no longer gets too worked up about things - letting Jones hang herself on poor strategy!

Moving the paradigm a bit further if Lawes put up a fight on the tee for better strategy I think that would destroy team chemistry. The team (including Wendy) know Jones is 'The Shot Caller' and are more passive than ever when bad decisions are made.

the biggest criticism i had of kaitlyn from the beginning has been that she never gives jen a second option. even when jen asks her opinion she just hums and haws and goes along with what jen wants without giving a second option.

02-22-16 09:13AM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

My only comment on the Jones fiasco is on the play of McEwen, Officer and Lawes in the 10th end. McEwen's draw at the top of the house was useless and helped Northern Ontario far more than her own team. Officer's two shots were something out of a horror movie. She wasn't even close. And then Lawes threw the wrong-colored wrong...something that McEwen, Officer and Lawes all missed.

Jones - who at times I commend and at times I criticize - for all intents and purposes made both her shots. You can debate her last shot until the cows come home, but she called it because of the unbelievable position her rink put her in. And I think overall Jones shot 85% to 90%. Unless the rest of her rink start to concentrate when it matters most, Team Canada has no chance. I don't care who the skip is, the play and concentration level by that front 3 was embarrassing when it mattered most. All 3 of them not realizing the wrong coloured rock was sitting in front of Lawes...you have to be kidding.

02-22-16 10:01AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i never thought i would say this but brian makes me miss vic. i dont know why mudryk insists on repeating the same things a million times. he must have told us about the pei/new brunswick rivalry in that law firm 4-5 times in the span of 2 days. it wasnt that interesting

he's mentioned that shot jen made to win the scotties in 2005 multiple times already and will undoubtedly mention it many more times

he makes me want to mute the tv but then if i mute i miss the conversations of the curlers themselves.

02-22-16 10:04AM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
Gauthier was the one who started the talk of 6 and would not stop repeating it. Mudryk was the one just going along and to my ear it was obvious that he simply didn't know better.

JB42, I agree with you 100%. I was getting ready to throw a brick at my TV if I heard "shot for 6" one more time. You have five of your rocks in the house and you have to use one of them to play the in-off shot, which kills that rock, leaving you with the four remaining rocks in the house plus your shooter - 4 + 1 .....

02-22-16 10:12AM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Your World
And regarding Russ Howard he is in a difficult spot commentating on Saskatchwan games and like I would expect he is not quite as critical as he would be if the Saskatchewan vice had a different last name than his

In my opinion, Russ Howard has always struggled with commentating games where he has a family connection in the game from his brother Glenn, to his nephew Scott, and now his daughter as well. I'm sure it is not an easy task.

If you want to listen to someone who does a good job in a similar capacity, listen to Kevin Martin commentate a game that his son is playing in. You'd be very hard pressed to know there is a family connection.

Please don't misconstrue my above opinion as an overall negative comment on Russ's curling commentary. I general like him as a commentator - I just tend to tune him out a bit in the games where I know that he'll struggle to be unbiased.

02-22-16 10:30AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

I enjoy curling and a significant part of the game is the ongoing commentary that keeps the game alive and entertaining. I marvel at how well all the commentators do given how extremely difficult it must be. They have two teams, eight players and about 10 different curling shots ( rock configuration changes) made over and over, and they talk non stop. We would all repeat ourselves when the subject is so limited and we had to talk about it over a period of 2 to 3 hours.

02-22-16 10:43AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by rick8end
My only comment on the Jones fiasco is on the play of McEwen, Officer and Lawes in the 10th end. McEwen's draw at the top of the house was useless and helped Northern Ontario far more than her own team. Officer's two shots were something out of a horror movie. She wasn't even close. And then Lawes threw the wrong-colored wrong...something that McEwen, Officer and Lawes all missed.

Jones - who at times I commend and at times I criticize - for all intents and purposes made both her shots. You can debate her last shot until the cows come home, but she called it because of the unbelievable position her rink put her in. And I think overall Jones shot 85% to 90%. Unless the rest of her rink start to concentrate when it matters most, Team Canada has no chance. I don't care who the skip is, the play and concentration level by that front 3 was embarrassing when it mattered most. All 3 of them not realizing the wrong coloured rock was sitting in front of Lawes...you have to be kidding.

Team Canada has been "off" for most of the season. One win on the tour so far and a few second/third place finishes. Not sure if they have other issues in their lives that are distracting them? Dawn for sure as a new Mum with all the challenges that brings...not sure about the other two. Kaitlyn who seems to be such a bright light in curling just defers to Jones. Maybe she is so disengaged she is counting down to when the 2017 Trials end, they don't make it and she is free to go elsewhere.

NO is really curling well and I think we will see them next weekend. While everyone what predicting Ontario, they are not living up to the very high expectations. I feel another year or two and this team will be very strong. This is their first year together and they did get lucky to run into an off day for Rachel Homan. If TC can get their act together it will be an easy win over Ontario.

Cathy is better off as the on ice interviewer. Put Steph with Bryan and I think things will improve. I am tired too about hearing about that shot of the century, the flu, law firm etc...

02-22-16 10:55AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

I can't believe how much people think throwing the wrong color is such a big deal!! Who hasn't done it?? It may not even be Lawes' fault, maybe the front end placed the rock at the hacks for her. If there is a rock in place for me to throw, all I'm thinking about is the shot I'm playing. I'm gonna get in the hack, flip the rock over, clean it then concentrate on the broom and throw. I really don't understand what the big deal is??? If it happens 2 or 3 times during the game, I would wonder what she was smoking, but once, big deal.

02-22-16 11:04AM
blid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blid Click here to Send blid a Private Message Find more posts by blid Add blid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blid
Knee-Slider

i love all these comments bashing Brian Mudryk and i couldnt agree more. The guy is clueless and extremely repetitive. put StephLD up in the booth as the colour and let Brian do the updates.... its painful to listen to

02-22-16 11:43AM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

Re: broadcasters

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
Who really cares? Put your TV on mute and watch curling if you don't like them. I am happy that TSN has provided coverage all these years and now adding an extra game. Don Cherry could be announcing for all I care...just happy to enjoy the games.

A standing O for that comment. And trust me, calling games in any sport is tougher than it looks..

02-22-16 11:47AM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

I have been entirely underwhelmed by the quality of the games so far. Teams are missing simple shots. The Bad Teams are very bad and the good teams are mediocre (for the most part).

That NONT comeback against Nova Scotia was facilitated entirely by Nova Scotia not making one shot in the the 10th end (except maybe one lead stone) and pretty much missing everything in the extra end.

Teams are scoring for the most part because their opponents are playing terrible. In yesterday's CAN/NONT game Jill Officer completely misses two shots and CAN still took two points that end. Sorry but I'm actually embarrassed watching this.

Simple draws are going through the house, people are hogging rocks, and I've seen some misses so bad on hits that three people on one side of the rock with hair brooms couldn't have saved it with all the directional sweeping possible.

Am I being too harsh and just in a bad mood or do others see this garbage as well?

02-22-16 12:24PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Three
I have been entirely underwhelmed by the quality of the games so far. Teams are missing simple shots. The Bad Teams are very bad and the good teams are mediocre (for the most part).

That NONT comeback against Nova Scotia was facilitated entirely by Nova Scotia not making one shot in the the 10th end (except maybe one lead stone) and pretty much missing everything in the extra end.

Teams are scoring for the most part because their opponents are playing terrible. In yesterday's CAN/NONT game Jill Officer completely misses two shots and CAN still took two points that end. Sorry but I'm actually embarrassed watching this.

Simple draws are going through the house, people are hogging rocks, and I've seen some misses so bad on hits that three people on one side of the rock with hair brooms couldn't have saved it with all the directional sweeping possible.

Am I being too harsh and just in a bad mood or do others see this garbage as well?

No I am seeing the same thing. Not sure if it is the ice, the 'flu', nerves...very odd. The curlers will never criticize the ice no matter how bad. The days of Eddie Werenich are long gone. I overheard Jolene during her game against QC telling Ashley that the rocks were not acting as they should.

02-22-16 12:50PM
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

No I am seeing the same thing. Not sure if it is the ice, the 'flu', nerves...very odd. The curlers will never criticize the ice no matter how bad. The days of Eddie Werenich are long gone. I overheard Jolene during her game against QC telling Ashley that the rocks were not acting as they should.

Or maybe they're not throwing it like they should...

It seems that these curlers seem very quick to blame their results on many things other than the actual throw.

02-22-16 01:00PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by guido
I can't believe how much people think throwing the wrong color is such a big deal!! Who hasn't done it?? It may not even be Lawes' fault, maybe the front end placed the rock at the hacks for her. If there is a rock in place for me to throw, all I'm thinking about is the shot I'm playing. I'm gonna get in the hack, flip the rock over, clean it then concentrate on the broom and throw. I really don't understand what the big deal is??? If it happens 2 or 3 times during the game, I would wonder what she was smoking, but once, big deal.

Guido, seriously? I have never thrown the wrong colour once........more than once sure but once? No way.....lol.....

02-22-16 01:11PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

I think Mudryk and Cathy G are doing fine. I usually switch back and forth between the games anyway, and I usually do my own commentary with whoever is in the room with me anyway.

Last year when Vic was ill, Al Cameron did an excellent job filling in, too.

02-22-16 02:40PM
kwojtalik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kwojtalik Click here to Send kwojtalik a Private Message Find more posts by kwojtalik Add kwojtalik to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kwojtalik
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
I enjoy curling and a significant part of the game is the ongoing commentary that keeps the game alive and entertaining. I marvel at how well all the commentators do given how extremely difficult it must be. They have two teams, eight players and about 10 different curling shots ( rock configuration changes) made over and over, and they talk non stop. We would all repeat ourselves when the subject is so limited and we had to talk about it over a period of 2 to 3 hours.

I agree

02-22-16 02:52PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Well so far Chelsea Carey is defying expectations and machining off opponents like there's no tomorrow. She already throttled Jones and if she somehow subdue the other unbeaten team today (McCarville) she'll probably sail to a an easy 9-2, possible 10-1 record - if Team AB can somehow keep up that high level of play they'll finish on top - I suspect someone like Larouche or Hanna will trip them off when Chelsea puts in a off-game.

And add another to the ever growing list.

02-22-16 03:04PM
NSCoach is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NSCoach Click here to Send NSCoach a Private Message Find more posts by NSCoach Add NSCoach to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NSCoach
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by guido

And add another to the ever growing list.

I like to hear what the curlers are saying, if the audio was split between the curlers on the right channel and announcers on the left one would be able to be selective of what they listened to by adjusting the audio channel balance

02-22-16 05:01PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

I hope to god, that Carey does not win the STOH.

02-22-16 05:05PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Decade.....

Really? Why? I become an admirer after attending the STOH in Montreal where she impressed me with her game calling and her shot making.

02-22-16 06:04PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

McCarville has ignored every one of Lillys suggestions.. And someone in this thread said Lilly was a up and coming rising star.. Really? She is dead last in 3rd stones shooting percentages.

02-22-16 06:15PM
JB42
Drawmaster

It is the 9th end...you are up 4.....hit the open one for god sake.

02-22-16 06:17PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Really messy for being up four.