M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Performance Horse Hair Head question.....

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
07-22-13 02:03PM
USAnewbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for USAnewbie Click here to Send USAnewbie a Private Message Find more posts by USAnewbie Add USAnewbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
USAnewbie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Performance Horse Hair Head question.....

Greetings!

Quick question for the curling experts....I recently purchased a performance horse hair head for my performance broom, but when I try to use it during actual sweeping, the broom head swivels too much (alot more that just a regular flat broom head) on the Performance Head to the point where the horse hair head turns out of control and I end up having the horse hair head sideways/turns over or so where the wooden part is scratching the ice.

I realize that I am a bad ass sweeper and all, ,but need advice on how to adjust so that the horse hair broom head stays in the correct position.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to adjust the swivel give on the Performance Head so that it doesn't move too much?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

07-22-13 08:37PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Unfortunately, that's a recurring problem with those brush heads according to many users I've talked to. I tried one once and couldn't stand it for that very reason.

07-23-13 08:17AM
youngen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for youngen Click here to Send youngen a Private Message Find more posts by youngen Add youngen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
youngen
Harvey Hacksmasher

I adjusted the tension screw in the end of my performance broom head and that kept the problem down ever so slightly. But, then I also changed my style of sweeping from more upright to having my back closer to parallel with the ice and gripping down lower on the broom shaft. This change was for becoming a more effective sweeper and nothing to do with having a horse hair head, but it did allow me to use the hair head without problems anymore.

07-23-13 08:28AM
LittleJohn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LittleJohn Click here to Send LittleJohn a Private Message Visit LittleJohn's homepage! Find more posts by LittleJohn Add LittleJohn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LittleJohn
Harvey Hacksmasher

What I used to do was simply to be very careful to not store or lean the broom in a way that would cause the bristles to lose shape (bend? side-flatten?). When travelling, I'd take the head off and carry it with me, put it in the back seat of the car or on top of my gear in the bag, bristles up and not smooshed.

When sweeping, I'd always consciously prepare the head position and make sure I'd press down in a way that would flatten them as designed.

Worked well for me, but requires some discipline, I guess...

07-25-13 03:41PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

On the top of the brush head (plastic side) there is a rectangle in the center. Put cardboard in the square and replace the brush head. Should cut down on how easily the head swivels, add more thickness of cardboard as needed.

08-05-13 02:29PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

problem isn't with the head, it's the bracket that attaches the head to the broom handle causing the problem.

I had the same problem and just swapped the bracket piece off my old head. but I know that JHCurl is right on the money, a piece of cardboard does the trick too

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 64.86.141.133