M: USA Curling Under-5 National Championship
Chaska, MN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 1:00pm CT
Mellin 11  8th
Meyer  Watch Live Curling!
Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-19-13 09:07PM
down2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for down2 Find more posts by down2 Add down2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
down2
Harvey Hacksmasher

Club Nationals

Are the seedlings and draws out for Club Nationals yet? If so I'm curious what Tucks odds/picks are?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-20-13 07:43AM
Hot shot tony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hot shot tony Click here to Send Hot shot tony a Private Message Find more posts by Hot shot tony Add Hot shot tony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hot shot tony
Harvey Hacksmasher

USA curilng doesn't have them up yet... although I'm really curious about Tuck's picks too, so thanks for bringing it up!

Last edited by Hot shot tony on 02-20-13 at 08:54AM

02-20-13 08:14AM
TJNCJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TJNCJ Click here to Send TJNCJ a Private Message Find more posts by TJNCJ Add TJNCJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

They were up last night, along with the schedule.

- - - - - - - Seeding - - - - - - -
MEN ................ ..... Woman
1 Willmert - MN ........... Good - Washington
2 Wright -IL .......... ...... O'Leary - MN
S 3Kauffman -WA ........ Reiser - ND 1
4 Jensen- ND ........ .. .. Langanke - GNCC
5 Olson - WI ........ ... . . Karst - Wisconsin
6 Petrov - GNCC ........ .. Bohlman - ND 2
7 Roberts - GLCA ........ . Wilson - IL
8 Johnson - AK ...... . ... Mason - GLCA
9 Schaak - MoPac 1 ........ .. Robertson - MoPac 1
10 Horsman - MoPac 2 ..... Walsh - MoPac 2

TJ
Rooting for Olson and Karst
My edits seperating the men/women didn't work

Last edited by TJNCJ on 02-20-13 at 08:22AM

02-20-13 10:12AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Been a little busy, but I'll look things over and get back to this by the weekend. I have a deadline coming up for my US Curling News column (anybody have any topics?), need to keep things up on the farm and spend next week in Washington DC. Alas, I don't think I'll make it to the Potomac CC. I hear that the Dykes is starting up next week there.

Off the top of my head, Jensen is easy to cheer for and should contend. The Illinois teams are traditionally tough and will have homefield advantage. Janice "Shorty" Langanke looks to be underrated with a formidible front end. Ivo is hopelessly underseeded and might be my pick because...if the rest of you are willing to call him a longshot...I love a good longshot.

Ben Tucker

02-20-13 02:14PM
down2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for down2 Find more posts by down2 Add down2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
down2
Harvey Hacksmasher

Tuck's just taken care of Business!
MEN: Predictions Final Four:
Wilmert, Jensen, Wright and Petrov who beats Olson in a tiebreaker to advance to Playoffs.

* Wilmert beats Wright to take it all. Kauffman's a tough team but misses the mark this year.

WOMEN: Predictions Final Four:
Good, Oleary, Karst, and Wilson beats Bohlman in a tiebreaker to advance to Playoffs

* O'leary beats Wilson to win it all.

02-20-13 02:45PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

OK, Mens Clubs...here we go:

Seed 1: Mn Willmert, with Dolan (Grafton ND born and raised) and Jeanetta, is loaded and beat a good field to get here. Remember, however, that this is the team most likely to party their way out of this thing.

Seed 2: Ill Wright, with Armstrong and the very likable Sean Silver, always does well at this event and has home ice.

Seed 3: Wash Doogie has rocked this world before. I don't see Trask making the trip with his responcibilities to the Brady Clark rink.

Seed 4: ND Jensen returns home from his silver medal Seniors trip to play with two of his longtime teammates and his son. At one time, when all of these guys were throwing lots of rocks, they would have stomped their way into the playoffs.

Seed 5: Wisc Olson out of Blackhawk. Before State, people were trying to tell me that this is a very good rink. I failed to listen then and I might still be failing.

Seed 6: GNCC Ivo is woefully underseeded in a tough field to seed. Mooney and Arsenault supply lots of horsepower. I respect tradition...good to see that our tradition of seeding the East low continues strong.

Seed 7: Great Lakes Roberts brings Levy and MiniMark. This team does the work and plays a decent schedule. There should be some payoff for this team that came close in Mankato.

Seed 8: Alaska Johnson is, by far, the most exciting team playing. Former World Junior skip is, finally, back into the game. I don't know the third or the lead, but Quinn Evanson can play. The ND team are friends of mine...one of them a close friend...can I cheer for Alaska?

Seed 9: Oregon Schaak comes down from BC. He's played with Guzman with a little success. Tomlinson brings an Eastie flavor?

Seed 10: Arizona Horsman, past president of the Coyote Club, brings his Alberta roots into play. Don't be fooled. They can play.

Seriously, I could make a good argument for each of these ten teams to make the playoffs. This stuff ain't easy.

Wright and Armstrong ain't gettin' no younger, so I'll make the foolish mistake of leaving the home team off the playoff list. Oregon and Arizona don't see enough games to be consistant within a game, let alone a week, so I'm dropping them. Same for Roberts out of Great Lakes.

So that leaves me six: ND, Mn, Alaska, Wash, Wisc and NJ.

I'm still bitter about being totally wrong about Olsen during Wisconsin State, so I'm dropping them. Doogie is too dang tall to curl and he should be golfing, so I'm dropping Washington.

That leaves me my homestate and friend, Dave Jensen. It also leaves me the team that I am cheering for, Leo Johnson and his return to the game after some misspent years away from the game. I also have talent in Wilmert and Ivo.

Leo Johnson will draw better and better to claw his way into the Finals. There, however, he will face the curler with one name: Ivo. Leo may or may not have the team to win, but maybe he should bring back Colin Hufman and Sax Sather to play with him again.

The tiny and overpopulated two-sheet Plainfield CC (don't pronounce it PlainSfield...they don't like that) will get yet more National titles. Seattle, Bemidji, Duluth and St. Paul claim lots of National champions over the years, but they have lots of sheets. On a per sheet basis, that little NJ club might quickly lay claim to being the best of the best.

Ivo over Leo in an extra end steal.

Ben Tucker
Ladies to follow

02-20-13 03:16PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Alas, I don't think I'll make it to the Potomac CC. I hear that the Dykes is starting up next week there.

Yep, it starts Wednesday one week from today...and the PCC plans on webcasting the heck out of it, so you can catch all your GNCC 5 and under men's action and still tend to whatever you do on the farm in February

I hear rumors we're even going to have miked skips for some games (where both featured game skips are willing). Our webcasting isn't up to TESN standards yet, but we're trying to give it a run for it's money.

The exact link isn't up yet (that I'm aware of), but it will certainly be off the www.curldc.org webpage.

Catch coverage of the teams that will be beating you on the Cash circuit in a couple of years now, so you can say "I knew they'd be good back in 2013..."

02-20-13 03:38PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Seriously, if I ever lose a friend over this...that will be it. If I don't pick you high enough, remember that I am just an idiot with a keyboard. I ain't nobody. Win some games and prove me wrong. Try it. Proving Tuck wrong can be tons of fun. Throw your practice rocks and raise some hell.

Club Ladies:

Seed 1: Washington Em Good comes back to defend her title. She will get everybody's "A" game. There are some pretty good A games in this field.

Seed 2: O'Leary...setting up for Senior Worlds...barring getting run over by a Mack truck (again) they should contend. Patti Luke and Mary Shields make up a talented and supportive front end.

Seed 3: ND1 Reiser...dang women keep getting married and changing their last names. Vorarchek and Nathans (maiden names) can flatout play. Won state on their home ice.

Seed 4: NJ Janice "Short Slide" Langancke...or Shorty for short...brings a rink that could win some games in Womens. If they play like they did in the Womens Challenge Round last year in Wisconsin, this baby is over.

Seed 5: Wisc Lori Karst has been good for some time now. This might be her breakthrough to a National title.

Seed 6: ND2 Bolhman. Beth always is very competitive in this event. She is younger than me, but back troubles might make this week seem like a month.

Seed 7: Ill Wilson gets home ice. She also has Chicago's secret weapon...Rittgers at third can play. I have spies everywhere.

Seed 8: Great Lakes I don't know much about this Midland CC team, but they have played in Canada some over the years...not on the cashspiel curcuit, but a third event win in Kitchner-Waterloo suggests that they know how to play.

Seed 9: Oregon Robertson has used a lot of time teaching others to curl...did she save enough time for herself? The team had to beat some good players to get here. An important sidenote: The Granite CC of Seattle helped with a loan to the new dedicated ice facility in Oregon. Good on ya, Seattle. Very good on ya.

Seed 10: San Fran Walsh looks for better results than last year...don't bet against it. Second time at the Big Dance might yeild some results.

Tough field. Congrats to the seeding voters. While trying to not sound arrogant nor condescending, I like what you came up with on this one. I am often disappointed.

There are four teams that I like to make the playoffs. It should surprise you that Em Good is not on that short list. I've been picking her to win a fair amoung over the last couple of years and I have, generally, been correct. It is time to switch up. Good luck, Em. It certainly ain't that I don't think you have the talent. You've proven that already and you have a very good front end. I've proven that I know that over the last couple of years. Don't hate me. I, too, would have seeded you on top.

I like O'Leary, Shorty Langanke, Reiser and Wilson to make the playoffs. Good and Karst should be right there as well, but I really like these four teams this year.

I see the Finals as coming down to O'Leary and Langanke. Both have really good and experienced front ends. Should be a heck of a game. I think O'Leary lost a final at Clubs when it was in Superior, but I'm too lazy to check. I do know that she does not like losing finals anymore.

Norma O'Leary prevents a Plainfield sweep by dominating the finals and taking the gold. Not a stunning upset pick, I know...but ballsy of me to leave the defending champs off the playoff list.

Ben Tucker

Last edited by tuck on 02-20-13 at 03:47PM

02-20-13 03:47PM
TakeItOut! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TakeItOut! Click here to Send TakeItOut! a Private Message Visit TakeItOut!'s homepage! Find more posts by TakeItOut! Add TakeItOut! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TakeItOut!
Hitting Paint

Dykes Spiel deserves its own thread

Alan,

I'm sure that the PCC webstreaming of the 5 and Under will be extremely good. I've been impressed with the quality of the streaming. It's not a competition The east kinda kicks ass at webstreaming.

But I've lost track of who the favorites are for that event. Maybe you can post Tuck-like odds for the Dykes. I'm curious who the up and comers are in the GNCC. It's always one of the best attended events in the east.

02-20-13 10:01PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Well, Tuck is half right. Yep, Ivo and Janice will be your champions. Tuck seems to have forgotten that Janice won this two years ago.

JH
all Eastie, all the time

02-21-13 04:50PM
mwillmert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mwillmert Click here to Send mwillmert a Private Message Find more posts by mwillmert Add mwillmert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mwillmert
Knee-Slider

Dearest Tuck

What is this word you call party? We in MN know not of this term. We would like to understand its meaning so that we can meet up to your expectations.

Sincerely,
confused and hungover

02-21-13 09:27PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Ask your third. He's got skills...mad skills.

Tuck

02-27-13 09:55AM
TJNCJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TJNCJ Click here to Send TJNCJ a Private Message Find more posts by TJNCJ Add TJNCJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

Tuck gets burned on the boys from Wisconsin once but doesn't learn his lesson.

Then he throws Jeff Wright and the rest of his home ice boys out of the playoffs. Also forgets maybe those guys with the Badgers on their sleeves live only two hours away may have a little ice knowledge as well.

Tuck, Tuck, Tuck........

Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin and North Dakota in the playoffs. Time for the Midwest to step up, the Easties are getting a bit cocky.

I think Wilmert and Wright hold their seeds and are 1-2 in the pages. Olson beats Jensen, Wilmert beats Wright.

Then the Olson pulls out upsets in the next two win it all.

TJ
Rooting for the home club

02-27-13 06:44PM
down2
Harvey Hacksmasher

TJCNJ:
HOMER...HOMER....HOMER....
I've seen the Olson rink play. Don't get me wrong they're good....but not that good! They're not solid enough line up wise top to bottom. They'll win some games and be in the hunt late but will fall.
I think what they really lack compared to Wright, Jensen, Willmert, Johnson, is this type of experience. It's a high intangible in these events to have been there before.
Good luck to them but You gotta stop drinkin' the Kool-Aid. Stick to the spotted cow!

02-27-13 07:04PM
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

Down2,

You are probably right, but I will look like a genius if they get to the finals or maybe just the playoffs.

I just have too many games, too much history with all of them not to. In fact one of them invited me to my first newcomers.

So I will keep my picks AND drink the Spotted Cow.

TJ
DOH!

03-03-13 02:01PM
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

In the fourth draw and the story has to be Norma O'Leary's 25 consecutive points streak. After going down one in the first last night she rolled off 19 straight and now sits up 6-0 after 3 over Illinois.

Other than that everything going about as expected.......

TJ

03-04-13 11:24AM
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

Drank all the Spotted Cow out of my fridge this weekend and will need to stop and pick up some more before that next foot of snow hits.

This thread has been a little slow although it is early in the week and there is a lot of curling left before Saturday.

I need to bump it back up so the Canadians Brier posts don't knock us off the front page.

TJ
Sporting an orange kool aid mustache.

03-04-13 03:31PM
curlny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlny Click here to Send curlny a Private Message Find more posts by curlny Add curlny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlny
Hitting Paint

Just wondering...any streaming of this event ?

03-04-13 05:19PM
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

No, unfortunately no streaming of any kind. We are taking a bus down to watch though if you are interested.

Also, no snarky remarks from Tuck, no proclamation that the East is the Beast from JH and the originator of this post has gone silent as well. Willy seems to have fallen off the planet.

I just come here for updates on scores when working.

TJ
Read somewhere Tuck is now a Packer Fan

03-04-13 06:04PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

wtg NDak. send 2 reps 'n take 'em both to the wire.

03-04-13 08:32PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by TJNCJ
No, unfortunately no streaming of any kind. We are taking a bus down to watch though if you are interested.

Also, no snarky remarks from Tuck, no proclamation that the East is the Beast from JH and the originator of this post has gone silent as well. Willy seems to have fallen off the planet.

I just come here for updates on scores when working.

TJ
Read somewhere Tuck is now a Packer Fan

Ivo seems to be off his game, that is for sure. Janice just put a Eastie whoopin' on a team from the center of the universe.

I am following the Brier much closer than this event. Makes my heart sing to see the old bear struggle and blame rocks, picks, Johhny mo, sweeping, farts, logos in the ice, Brier bear, moose call in the stands, etc, etc etc.

JH
Off to a beach with free drinks for 5 days, all this will be over when I get back.

03-07-13 11:39PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Ivo plays Johnson in the morning. Johnson wins and the final four will be Washington, Illinois, Alaska and Wisconsin. If Ivo wins, it will be Washington, Illinois and a three way tie for two spots (New Jersey, Alaska and Wisconsin). Wisconsin will go straight through because they beat Alaska and Wisconsin in the round robin. So if Ivo wins, he will have to turn around and play Johnson right away in the tiebreaker.

Tough deal for me as they are the two teams I picked to be in the finals. That ain't happenin'.

Kinda surprised that Willmert and Jensen didn't fare better and I'm pleasantly surprised that Wright continues to elude his age to defend his homeice.

North Dakota, Minnesota, North Dakota and Washington are the final four in the Club Womens. The final games are on the ice now and might impact seedings. The two games tomorrow morning will likely be unimportant to anybody but the competitors.

No big surprises in the Womens. It's a pretty good field. Langanke, Wilson and Karst could make the playoffs if they played it again next week because it's also a pretty even field.

Ben Tucker

03-09-13 04:53PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Bohlman goes 10-1 and gets 3rd place in womens club nationals. Seems like a 9-0 round robin record should be worth something more than a berth in the semifinals. I agree with Glenn Howard that RR winner should go directly to championship game. Especially when Page playoff is not used and there are only 10 teams, teams should be rewarded for winning round robin with a spot in championship game.

03-11-13 11:37AM
MiniMark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MiniMark Click here to Send MiniMark a Private Message Find more posts by MiniMark Add MiniMark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MiniMark
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
Bohlman goes 10-1 and gets 3rd place in womens club nationals. Seems like a 9-0 round robin record should be worth something more than a berth in the semifinals. I agree with Glenn Howard that RR winner should go directly to championship game. Especially when Page playoff is not used and there are only 10 teams, teams should be rewarded for winning round robin with a spot in championship game.

Nonsense. Your reward for finishing 1st is playing the 4th place team (if there's no page) or a spot in the 1-2 game if there is a page. Enough already.

Mini
Stuck in 5th place again, but it was a great week nonetheless.

03-11-13 12:43PM
Curlrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlrock Click here to Send Curlrock a Private Message Find more posts by Curlrock Add Curlrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

Exmoor did a great job with the Championships this week. All involved at Exmoor should be proud. I know the Chicago Curling Club helped out as timers as well.

Washington was the the most solid team all week. They were in control of of most of their games early. I should note that the men's teams were really balanced. Any team could have medaled. I was so impressed with the both the sportsmanship and competition on ice by all of the teams. The comradery off the ice was what you would hope for as well. Really a good representaion of what Club Nationals should be all about.

I should also note that Tuck received a little good natured ribbing from the Illinois team at the banquet. Something about age discrimination if I remember correctly. Based on Illinoi's performance this week, I assure you they continue to be a top notch team.

Thanks Again Exmoor for a great week.

Paul Rudkin
Wisconsin