Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 8 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-25-13 11:45AM
Willy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Willy Click here to Send Willy a Private Message Find more posts by Willy Add Willy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Willy
Drawmaster

Mens World Da Line!

To win the 2013 Mens World Curling Championship- For recreational purposes only....

Canada 6-5 Of course they are the favorite, young athletic team that likes each other, Gold medal awaits.

Sweden 3-1 Its Edin's time, Kruapp is the key, but silver may be in thier future.

Scotland 5-1 Is Murdoch still interested, maybe Brewster should be skipping.

Norway 7-1 Ulsrud is do for a run, but please lose the pants.

China 12-1 Would change the curling landscape if Liu, Xu, Ba, Zang get it done.

Switzerland 16-1 Too young, but they do have Swiss girlfriends that can't hurt.

United States 20-1 Top six would be good week, playoffs may be a stretch. Danger Will Robison Danger..

Czech Republic 30-1 Snitil and Snitil law firm, sorry boys no retainer for you..

Denmark 50-1 May win some big games, but will lose way to many..

Finland 50-1 Love the dreadlocks, but this ain't no reggae concert ( where's Uusipaavalniemi when you need him, oh yea he was a politician should have stayed with the Centre Party, the True Finns Party just didn't have support )..

Field- Russia and Japan 100-1 I guess Drozdov is an Olympian good luck with that. Japan-No....

Remember bet with your head not over it!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-25-13 03:54PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

REALLY THESE ARE YOUR PIC"S?

i WOULDN'T AGREE WITH THEM ENTIRELY BUT, did you ever think this could be a double whammy from those Scots? first Muirhead, and Brewster could for the men?

03-25-13 04:23PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Re: REALLY THESE ARE YOUR PIC"S?

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
i WOULDN'T AGREE WITH THEM ENTIRELY BUT, did you ever think this could be a double whammy from those Scots? first Muirhead, and Brewster could for the men?

You might be a bit new to the concept of Willy and his odds. This started on InTheHack back in the day and kinda wandered over here. To join in you typically "bet" local stuff. So bet some bushels of those "spuds from the bright red mud" (RIP Tom).

JH
Stompin' Tom fan since 1995

03-25-13 04:26PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

yep we to here miss ole Stomping "tom"

lots of spuds here oozing in the red mud when the snow finally disappears...... geez it is almost April Fool's Day too

03-25-13 05:31PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Since we are betting. Give me Sweden at 3-1. 5 gallons of delicious CT maple syrup made in Norfolk to support our friends there. Rebuilding from the fire, I hope I "lose".

JH
Norfolk CC will rise again.

03-25-13 06:58PM
Flatfoot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flatfoot Click here to Send Flatfoot a Private Message Find more posts by Flatfoot Add Flatfoot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flatfoot
Harvey Hacksmasher

The top 5 will be Nor,Swe,Can,Sco,and China ... any one of them could be watching the playoffs including Canada.
At least its in Canada with our ice and our rocks so could be a distinct advantage for Canada since they curled and charted the rocks at the Brier (I assume those are the ones that are used but maybe the World Curling Federation have their own ? )

Will only be an advantage early and by playoff time, it's anybody's game.

03-26-13 08:32AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Willy always does a great job posting the odds. His one-line analysis is very hard to do. Try it. It's hard...and he is funny to boot.

Willy does, however, always will make one mistake. I pounce on it and, by now, must own him and his children.

This time around, the best bet on the board is China. Great betting value at 12-1. How about some nice North Dakota venison, Morehouse? Two entire deer made into roasts, steaks, sausage and jerky.

My pick to win is actually Edin...but this is betting and, in betting, you look for value.

Ben Tucker
Owner/Operator of Bill Morehouse

03-26-13 09:47AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Like me pappa always said, Curling is a slippery game!

Jennifer Jones looked like a monster at the Canadian championships - going 11-0 but then collapsed vs. Homan.

Homan looked all the monster when she reduced Jones to a puzzled blonde pulp but then dropped 4 games at the worlds and settled in for bronze vs USA.

Jacobs looked like a putz during the Brier round-robin but powered up better than Hulk Hogan on roids and handed Stoughton one of the worst thrashings Jeff has ever had in his 50 years on Planet.

Don't you just love this game? All these "odds" and "predictions" being bandied about are as useful as eviscerating a sheep in determining the outcome of a tournament. Based on Brad's provenance he could finish first...or sixth. And as for Tom, I've seen him brilliant...and mediocre.

Last edited by greenroad on 03-26-13 at 09:50AM

03-26-13 10:32AM
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Like Willy's odds package. Should be on Jim Rome. Imagine dat - Jim Rome, the guy who can yap for 9 hours without a breath doing a feature on curling???

Like me pappa always said, Curling is a slippery game!

Jennifer Jones looked like a monster at the Canadian championships - going 11-0 but then collapsed vs. Homan.

Homan looked all the monster when she reduced Jones to a puzzled blonde pulp but then dropped 4 games at the worlds and settled in for bronze vs USA.

Jacobs looked like a putz during the Brier round-robin but powered up better than Hulk Hogan on roids and handed Stoughton one of the worst thrashings Jeff has ever had in his 50 years on Planet.

The Euros love peaking at this event (Lui Lui and Edin have one last two big cash spiels in Canada) while the Canadians usually peak at the Brier and then hope against hope the world teams curl weakly.

I can tell you one thing. If Jake & His Snakes curl like they did vs. Stoughton in the Brier final, IT WON'T BE CLOSE!!!

But thats gonnna be tough. Even a curling machine like Kevin Martin has struggled somewhat at the world and olympic level.

your probably correct in that assumption but Jacobs is facing for the his first time teams on the grand world stage level, and "getting stage fright" is not the way to go , we'll have to watch and see the first couple of games his rink plays.... I agree with I never seen Jeff Stoughton get a thrashing at the brier final either...

03-27-13 12:39PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Siiiiiigh...so many Canucks...so little time.

Nice to see our neighbors to the north visit our little fun forums (he typed facetiously while all time wondering "Where is Homeland Security when we need them?)

Just remember, my Canadian cousins, that we view our forums as Fun. If you want a passionate discussion about curling, go back to your own forums. When it comes to curling, we only get passionate about our playdown formats. I don't know why we only get passionate about formats...but that is the way it is.

We do tend to get a little excited when Canada sends a team to Worlds with little international experience. It seems (although I have not researched the history) that, when you send a team that has been to Worlds before, the rest of the World gets kinda crushed.

Don't take this slight excitement as an insult to your National Champions. We are smart enough to know that they are good. (In a thread asking about possible upsets in the Brier, I posted N. Ont. before the first Brier rock was thrown.)

In the Womens, I was very fired up because you were sending World rookies and we were sending a rink with World experience. Some mistook that as a slight to The Queen's Deep Freeze (aka Canada) and to the future hall of fame Team Homan.

So welcome to our forums. Type at your own risk. I grow weary of being polite.

Ben Tucker

03-27-13 12:55PM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

It was painful to watch the Women’s world thread degenerate into an international food fight. I like Tuck’s last post and what I’d like to add is that on the prairie, we like each other. We curl in Canadian bonspiels, Canadians curl in ours. The hospitality is always warm. We know each other, and great friendships have been forged over the years. There are even leagues the transcend border. Just thought y’all would like to know what it’s like in fly over country.

03-27-13 01:53PM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

Speaking as a female curler, I know what the women's worlds forum degenerated to, and it wasn't a food fight. In the spirit of curling, y'all just decided to play another game where it comes down to measuring inches.

For payback, I and my fellow distaff rock-chuckers will take over this thread by starting a catfight where we will use USA vs. Canada trash talk to metaphorically compare the size of our mammaries.

03-27-13 03:06PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by greenroad

Don't you just love this game? All these "odds" and "predictions" being bandied about are as useful as eviscerating a sheep in determining the outcome of a tournament. Based on Brad's provenance he could finish first...or sixth. And as for Tom, I've seen him brilliant...and mediocre.

I think Jacob's was consistantly good in the Brier RR and disagree about some opinions on this. The Jacob's team that could finish 6th was last years team; this year's team was pretty strong every game ( if there was an exception please remind of which game; I'm really surprised how people have characterized their RR performance on this forum ).

I think they are almost a lock for top 3 and given that nobody else pops out as a dominant team they probably win ( note they are by no means a heavy favorite at all ). The chance they finish as low as 6th is almost zero unless there are injuries. Edin will be close and a hard team to beat, and Scotland strikes me as kind of a tricky experienced team that could get on a roll and win it all if they are sharp ( all third party accounts though have said they haven't been sharp ).

Given Jacob's style, they match up well against Edin but a finesse attack from Scotland could make for an interesting match. Otherwise I'd be picking Edin based on recent results.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-27-13 at 03:21PM

03-27-13 03:20PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Wait...I'm supposed to bet local products?

I come from DC...WTF do we produce?

Okay, fine...I'll place 3 filibusters and a senator to be named later on the Trifecta of Norway/Canada/United States...not sure what those odds are, but they should be in the 80-1 range...so if I win, I expect y'all to fork over a balanced budget that doesn't raise taxes or cut government spending!

03-27-13 03:53PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Wait...I'm supposed to bet local products?

I come from DC...WTF do we produce?

Okay, fine...I'll place 3 filibusters and a senator to be named later on the Trifecta of Norway/Canada/United States...not sure what those odds are, but they should be in the 80-1 range...so if I win, I expect y'all to fork over a balanced budget that doesn't raise taxes or cut government spending!

Really Alan, really?!? What could Tuck use that is produced in vast quantities in DC - manure of course!!

If you are playing the straight Trifecta (that order of finish) then the odds are more likely in the 30-1 range (after the vig of course). Based on Willy's odds, a two dollar bet at the track would return about $600-$700.

JH
I do like the ponies!

03-27-13 05:38PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

For the Canadian posters out there, please go read the post from Tuck. We have FUN in our little forum with about 10 of us.

What do we care about? Curling and its longevity in the US. That means we care that the US will be part of the Olys, why? Because we need new folks to come out and curl for a year or two or maybe three. We might get 1 or 2 new competitive curlers out of that and hopefully they are juniors. I know of two on the entire East coast that did not have some curling in their background.

What do we want to see out of the Mens Worlds? The US makes the Olys. That's it. I hope that Canada sees the same thing. Without the US supporting curling especially in the Olys, it would be a dying sport. Trust me, the US is the ONLY reason that curling is an Olympic sport. If you don't believe that fine but it is very much the truth.

So, we have fun here in our little forum. The few of us that remain from the haydays of ITH. If you look back through the threads, Summer Ramblings are probably the most active.

We like curling, we support curling. Curling in Canada is very well supported. The rest of the world needs to catch up and having Canada NOT win is not always a bad thing in the big picture.

JH
I hope a global opinion.

03-27-13 08:50PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Siiiiiigh...so many Canucks...so little time.

Nice to see our neighbors to the north visit our little fun forums (he typed facetiously while all time wondering "Where is Homeland Security when we need them?)

Just remember, my Canadian cousins, that we view our forums as Fun. If you want a passionate discussion about curling, go back to your own forums. When it comes to curling, we only get passionate about our playdown formats. I don't know why we only get passionate about formats...but that is the way it is.

We do tend to get a little excited when Canada sends a team to Worlds with little international experience. It seems (although I have not researched the history) that, when you send a team that has been to Worlds before, the rest of the World gets kinda crushed.

Don't take this slight excitement as an insult to your National Champions. We are smart enough to know that they are good. (In a thread asking about possible upsets in the Brier, I posted N. Ont. before the first Brier rock was thrown.)

In the Womens, I was very fired up because you were sending World rookies and we were sending a rink with World experience. Some mistook that as a slight to The Queen's Deep Freeze (aka Canada) and to the future hall of fame Team Homan.

So welcome to our forums. Type at your own risk. I grow weary of being polite.

Ben Tucker

This is a "US Curling" section of a Canadian forum. When the topics discuss international teams, opinions will be challenged, and you should be happy to gain some attention from Canadians if you care about Curling. More alarming would be if all Canadians decided US Curling was bush league and simply ignored you entirely.

You may "grow weary of being polite" but I've grown weary of your threats. I don't care. If the site owners want to change the format we'll see won't we; won't change my life much at all and it definately won't change my opinion on US Curlers and their chances.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-27-13 at 08:56PM

03-27-13 09:02PM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

Really????

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
Trust me, the US is the ONLY reason that curling is an Olympic sport. If you don't believe that fine but it is very much the truth.

And of course Americans would take credit for discovering or developing insulin, total body cooling for cardiac surgery, the artificial knee, lumpectomy, surgical treatment for drug resistant epilepsy, radiation treatment for cancer, Pablum, the artificial kidney machine, the pacemaker, surgical treatment for cerebral aneurysms, the paediatric electric prosthetic arm, Continuous Passive Motion, oral treatment for hepatitis B, the gene responsible for Fanconi anemia, the gene associated with localized muscular dystrophy, the gene that causes colon cancer, the gene that causes Lafora disease, closed chest robotic-assisted beating heart coronary artery bypass grafts, the mechanism of formation of amyloid, a molecular marker to diagnose hepatocellular carcinoma, the complete DNA sequence of chromosome 7, deep brain stimulation for drug resistant depression, genetically modified vaccine that can completely prevent the recurrence of metastatic breast cancer, treating prostate cancer using 3-D image-guided radiation therapy, implantation of antibody-coated stents ....

and yes, those are all CANADIAN, not American, developments and inventions.

American hype and self serving propaganda loves to take credit for everything, particularly things they had absolutely nothing to do with, and just hopped onto at the last minute after all the work was done in and by other nations.

Both the International Olympic Commitee and the World Curling Federation give NO credit to the US for the introduction of curling into the Olympics.

The World Curling Federation DOES give credit to the JAPANESE Olympic Committee (not the American Olympic Committee - that exists only in the fervent immagination of Americans to take credit for what everyone else did) for curling's inclusion in the 1998 Olympics (4 years earlier than originally mandated).

03-27-13 09:58PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

And all of that good work undone by giving the world Justin Bieber, Howie Mandel, and Jim Carey ...

On the other hand I just saw Argo ... Thank you Canada.

03-27-13 10:17PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Oh, Willy...see what you started?

Nine Ender, I have no problems with Canadians surfing around down here in the slums and posting. Just don't look for the vitriol that you induce up in the Canadian forums. We, generally, know each other and like each other. Your style is very strange to us. It is a confrontational style and not a style that I appreciate. Still, I respect that CurlingZone gives a voice to any and all. Abusers, however, will shrink the community.

Murph, I have never insinuated that Canada isn't a great country. I have, however, insinuated that you are not a great Canadian.

Can one imagine a world without the USA? Can you imagine what history would be without America? Both are beyond my limited imagination, but I think is would be far worse for the lacking.

Conversely: Can one imagine a world without Canada? Imagine history? I might, but I won't. I've traveled to Canada too many times. I've seen its beauty and been warmed by its people. I know something of its accomplishments and much of its persona. It is, truly, a great nation.

So I will try to refuse to allow Murph to pull me into a "My Country Is Better Than Your Country" debate...for he will win. You see, he hates the USA and I don't hate Canada. That is an advantage that I cannot overcome.

Still, I cannot imagine a world without the United States of America.

Ben Tucker
Saint Thomas
North Dakota
United States of America

PS Nom de Broom...one of the greatest posts I've ever read

03-27-13 10:18PM
TJNCJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TJNCJ Click here to Send TJNCJ a Private Message Find more posts by TJNCJ Add TJNCJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

Don't forget Alan Thicke and the Great Upheaval !

03-27-13 11:35PM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by TNH
And all of that good work undone by giving the world Justin Bieber, Howie Mandel, and Jim Carey ...

On the other hand I just saw Argo ... Thank you Canada.

There was very little of Canada's musical reputation left for Bieber to destroy after the Shrieking Shrew of the North, Celine Dion, got done with it.

03-28-13 12:00AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Alan, I forgot to cover your trifecta. I don't love Norway's chances this year...they haven't looked sharp yet and looked flat in the Continental Cup.

So I'll accept your trifecta. Make it a trifecta box with those three specific teams finishing in any order on the medal stand and I'll gladly post 30 to 1.

We here in North Dakota are in dire need of your city's largest export...hot air. Send enough of that DC hot air our way to melt this snow...should your teams stumble.

Should your prediction prove to be prophetic, I'll buy you a drink. One drink is roughly equal to thirty times the value of DC hot air.

Ben Tucker
Putting the "um" in forum

03-28-13 08:36AM
TJNCJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TJNCJ Click here to Send TJNCJ a Private Message Find more posts by TJNCJ Add TJNCJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

Oops, got distracted by the nasty Nova Scotian. Back to curling.

I see very few scenarios where Jacobs and Edin aren't there at the end. Scotland would need a really good week to knock those two out of the final, but who knows maybe they are going to peak at the right time this year? Norway may surprise and be in the final four but my dark horse will be China.

I got the chance to watch China against Craig Brown at the MCA. Although I was a bit distracted by Tucks drifting takeouts a sheet or two over at the Granite, I have been following them since and I think they will be there for a tiebreaker chance at minimum. I think that first game vs. Jacobs is big for both teams.

Jacobs needs to shake off the glow of the Brier and Liu can jump start his week with a strong performance.

So, I pick in order:

Sweden
Canada
China
Scotland

The last game was a coin flip for me. I like Jacobs and have been following him for a couple years.

As for my bet, one case of Wollersheim Winery Dry Riesling. This Wisconsin Winery was named "Winery of the Year" in 2012 and this Riesling just voted "Wine of the Year" last week at the San Diego International Wine Competition.

TJ
Just named John Murphy" Whiner of the Year"

PS.

Chuckled out loud at nom de broom and alan M.'s comments.

Last edited by TJNCJ on 03-28-13 at 08:47AM

03-28-13 08:51AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Drifting? We won that game.

Ben Tucker
My lead was brilliant that game

Last edited by tuck on 03-28-13 at 09:10AM